Metal Storm logo
Do you think that Jimi Hendrix is the best guitar player ever?

Original post

Posted by , 01.08.2006 - 00:59
I beeing searching in many list the best guitar player of all times in almost every list in the number one is Jimmy Hendrix. I have a lot of videos of him and he is very talentous I most say. But the question is: Is he the best guitar player ever? Most of people says that yes but in my opinion there are guitar players in his level or even better in musical genres such as jazz and metal. In speed and tecnic for example I think that Michael Romeo (Symphony x), Kiko Loureiro (Angra) and John Petrucci are better than him. I actually don´t play guitar, I play keyboards but like everyone I can see the tecnic of a musician just by seing him. In jazz and classical music also there a lot of talentous guys that plays guitar in other level.
Do you think that Jimmy Hendrix is actually the best guitar player ever?
Or do you think that are better guitar players?
04.12.2007 - 14:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by ArcanaHereticae on 04.12.2007 at 08:16

Fuck no. The question was "the best... ever?" No, not at all. Have you heard some of the guitarists today? Christ no, by far is he NOT the best. He may have been groundbreaking for his time, but that was not the question.

Have you ewer had hear some bluesmans in small american pubs

IMO quasten who are best guitar player are so stupid, becaus ethere are no answer
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.12.2007 - 23:49
ArcanaHereticae

Ofcourse I've heard Blues. A good example of good players today. There is no best. Chances are, there will always be someone better.
----
The nectar ov Thy rage,
I taste from the cup ov fornication.
And woman by my side,
And scarlet is her skin.
She's eager to rise,
And so eager to please.
04.12.2007 - 23:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by ArcanaHereticae on 04.12.2007 at 23:49

Ofcourse I've heard Blues. A good example of good players today. There is no best. Chances are, there will always be someone better.

I doubt there be any better in nowdays
----

apos;'
[image]
05.12.2007 - 00:21
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by Bad English on 04.12.2007 at 14:01

IMO quasten who are best guitar player are so stupid, becaus ethere are no answer

Case closed!!! Nowadays its really pointless to ask who is the best guitarist in the world, every time you will get 50 different names, and who is there to say what is right??
It was different 40 years ago, when there was only rocknroll and good old blues, but look today, you have so many genres, subgenres, and many more guitarists, so its really pointless.
You can say that he is the best guitarist of his time, like clapton was before him, like Django Reinhardt was in 30ies....
----
05.12.2007 - 06:01
ArcanaHereticae

Written by Stalker on 05.12.2007 at 00:21

Written by Bad English on 04.12.2007 at 14:01

Case closed!!! Nowadays its really pointless to ask who is the best guitarist in the world, every time you will get 50 different names, and who is there to say what is right??
It was different 40 years ago, when there was only rocknroll and good old blues, but look today, you have so many genres, subgenres, and many more guitarists, so its really pointless.
You can say that he is the best guitarist of his time, like clapton was before him, like Django Reinhardt was in 30ies....

Point well-taken. I'll drink to that.
----
The nectar ov Thy rage,
I taste from the cup ov fornication.
And woman by my side,
And scarlet is her skin.
She's eager to rise,
And so eager to please.
16.07.2008 - 23:00
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
A burnt guitar from J.H. is set to go to auction and it could reach a staggering sale of $1million!?! Read the entire story here.
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
23.07.2008 - 12:52
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by SlaytallicA on 16.07.2008 at 23:00

A burnt guitar from J.H. is set to go to auction and it could reach a staggering sale of $1million!?! Read the entire story here.

wow, i'd buy that, but never EVER play it. i'd put it in a REALLY safe carbon casing or something, i wouldn't trade it even if Yngwie Malmsteen himself would teach me guitar for the rest of my life lol.
23.07.2008 - 14:58
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
Written by Valentin B on 23.07.2008 at 12:52

wow, i'd buy that, but never EVER play it. i'd put it in a REALLY safe carbon casing or something, i wouldn't trade it even if Yngwie Malmsteen himself would teach me guitar for the rest of my life lol.

Make a offer for it! lol
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
24.07.2008 - 05:55
Metal_Militia

//No way!!! To me, i think he is one of the most overappreciated/ overrated guitarists ever. Im not saying hes bad, but there are a plethera of way better guitarists. He gets a lot of credit because he was left handed and his weird ass antics he did on stage and image. Not his guitar playing. Id take a big handful of metal guitarists over Hendrix. To me, Frank Zappa blows him out of the water by light years. They souldnt even be mentioned in the same sentence//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

25.07.2008 - 00:28
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Metal_Militia on 24.07.2008 at 05:55

//No way!!! To me, i think he is one of the most overappreciated/ overrated guitarists ever. Im not saying hes bad, but there are a plethera of way better guitarists. He gets a lot of credit because he was left handed and his weird ass antics he did on stage and image. Not his guitar playing. Id take a big handful of metal guitarists over Hendrix. To me, Frank Zappa blows him out of the water by light years. They souldnt even be mentioned in the same sentence//

really... to be able to completely re-invent the wheel like he did, that takes truly a genius' mind. he also was WAAAY more technical than any guitarist of his day, not even Jimmy Page was close to this dude. basically he did shit that no-one else even imagined, even in this day no-one sounds like him... only a handful of guitarists would reach his popularity level and skill without learning any musical theory, and i'm talking about the elite of the elite: steve vai, satch, malmsteen etc. only these guys could do what he did, alienated from all musical theory.
25.07.2008 - 07:45
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Valentin B on 23.07.2008 at 12:52

its BURNT. i think playability is out of the question hahaha.

and i agree with K7 and stalker when they say that a criteria for "best guitar player ever" is impossible to determine. but to answer the question, hendrix was definitely influential but not the best. im of the opinion that Eddie Van Halen had more of an impact on how a guitar is played, metal especially, than hendrix did.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
27.08.2008 - 16:11
Frankenchrist

overappreciated? overated? half of the world's greatest guitarists quote hendrix as one of their main influences. sure there are better than him out there but hendrix's guitar playing was amazing. he'd improvise licks on his songs live so hendrix is NOT overrated.
----
Blat Blat
27.08.2008 - 19:57
Metal_Militia

Written by Frankenchrist on 27.08.2008 at 16:11

overappreciated? overated? half of the world's greatest guitarists quote hendrix as one of their main influences. sure there are better than him out there but hendrix's guitar playing was amazing. he'd improvise licks on his songs live so hendrix is NOT overrated.

//Yes i meant overrated...And just because a lot of artists say hes an influence doesn't mean he good in my opinion. Ooooo he can improvise licks live. Wow Frank Zappa played whole concerts that was all improvisation for chris sake. IMO Hendrix is the most OVERRATED guitar players ever. Also he isn't the only one that can improvise. How many overrated guitarist do you think improvise? Just cause he does, doesnt mean they're good//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

28.08.2008 - 03:36
Opethienne
Account deleted
hmm i think it was a list of a best guitar players for me Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Eddie Van Halen, David Gilmour, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jeff Beck ...
28.08.2008 - 16:25
Frankenchrist

Written by Metal_Militia on 27.08.2008 at 19:57

i'm not saying hes the only guitarist alive who can improv, fuck even i can improvise i'm just saying he was the first of his time to improvise while singing and still stay exactly on tempo and rhythm.

//Yes i meant overrated...And just because a lot of artists say hes an influence doesn't mean he good in my opinion. Ooooo he can improvise licks live. Wow Frank Zappa played whole concerts that was all improvisation for chris sake. IMO Hendrix is the most OVERRATED guitar players ever. Also he isn't the only one that can improvise. How many overrated guitarist do you think improvise? Just cause he does, doesnt mean they're good//
----
Blat Blat
29.08.2008 - 13:12
Opethienne
Account deleted
I think mmm that Jimmi hendrix open a gates for Guitarists too, but there's others who plyed better but in speciality like van halen for tapping, vai ( for me ) for feeling ...
18.09.2008 - 05:46
Number Juan

No. He definitely should make in the top 5 or 10 but not #1.
----
A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. - Bertrand Russell
16.10.2008 - 09:46
Murder

Hendrix is one of my fav guitarrist... but I don't think he is the best of all... I love the way that he made his music, with a lot of feeling... and enjoying it... just see one video of him playing guitar... his facial expressions can say all about what I'm talking about...
16.10.2008 - 23:46
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Guest on 30.08.2008 at 17:00

As others have said, there are so many great guitarists now that you couldn't possibly find the most technically amazing one. There's a shit-ton of people puttin' up youtube videos who are even better than their heroes. So really the only way to gage "best" anymore is to see who's had the biggest impact.

It no longer matters how talented you are. Therefore Jimi wins.

Amen brother. Jimi had a huge impact at that time. That inflamed guitar played with teeth is enough. He is a living legend....uh, wait...a dead legend.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
03.11.2008 - 02:41
mortjoyeux

No.
I think he was the best for his time, but definitely not now...times change and so do preferences.
I fucking appreciate the man though, he gave other players something to strive for.
10.11.2008 - 01:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by mortjoyeux on 03.11.2008 at 02:41

No.
I think he was the best for his time, but definitely not now...times change and so do preferences.
I fucking appreciate the man though, he gave other players something to strive for.

Interesting, but I had quasten, those what you think are better, will someone remeber after 20-50 years because like guitarists doubt so
----

apos;'
[image]
10.11.2008 - 16:14
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I do consider him one of the greats, possibly the best guitarist in history, but as far as technicality goes, no-ones got anything on Malmsteen and Batio. they should both share the #1 spot for most technical guitarists, since their playing styles aren't that similar. but guess when did Malmsteen decide he was going to play guitar? when he saw a certain black dude burn his guitar on stage. and guess who is Batio's idol? that's right, a certain black dude.

and so, Hendrix = #1, for playing alien music, for being an inspiration to so many guitarists, (like i said earlier) for being absurdly technical compared to the rest of 'em, and all this while playing an upside-down stratocaster, with no knowledge of musical theory, and singing at the same time.
28.11.2008 - 08:39
Eeric
Account deleted
Have you heard Buckethead?? He wipes Jimi off your minds.

Even that JH is inspired some great guitarist to start playing does'nt mean he's best.

When it comes to technicality Buckethead is million light years before Malmsteen or Batio, and same goes for playing acoustic and experimental stuff.
08.12.2008 - 23:25
benvolent

Jimi Hendrix was the greatest guitarist - of his time. And his glory does't only settle on his unique technique, but also on his style and appearance. Well, by the way he is just the symbol of a revolution in music! All this sound distorting stuff and gimmicks, which all musicians use nowadays was invented in that time and thus in all these weird experiments on stage or in some studio with the switzer-knife between the teeth..

Comparing him with the great metalguitarists doesn't make any sense for me - because there are lightyears in between!
----
The struggle to free myself of restraints, becomes my very shackles
14.12.2008 - 13:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by benvolent on 08.12.2008 at 23:25

Jimi Hendrix was the greatest guitarist - of his time. And his glory does't only settle on his unique technique, but also on his style and appearance. Well, by the way he is just the symbol of a revolution in music! All this sound distorting stuff and gimmicks, which all musicians use nowadays was invented in that time and thus in all these weird experiments on stage or in some studio with the switzer-knife between the teeth..

Comparing him with the great metalguitarists doesn't make any sense for me - because there are lightyears in between!

Good post man, Jimi wasnt accepted in USA buta lso fact he was black and (IN THOSE TIMES) he was one of firts artists who's accepted in white world(outisde USA) , dunno if its true or not but I hear Hells Angels tryd exicuted him for some reasons
----

apos;'
[image]
19.12.2008 - 08:10
the stranger

Written by Metal_Militia on 27.08.2008 at 19:57

And where does Zappa gets his inspiration from?
A lot of guitarrists come and lots go away, but Hendrix still remains. He is like a bloody Mozart of the guitar. Guy that doesn't need no musical theory, no years of study, just grab an instrument and make it burn like hell!
19.12.2008 - 15:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
To the Metal_Militia I would say that Zappa is oevrrated as a guitarist. He had good ideas but his actual playing was quite crappy why do you think he always had GREAT technical guitarists surrounding him? Cause he couldn't play a lot of the stuff he wrote. PLus Zappa wouoldn't play the way he did if it weren't for Hendrix. Hendrix was the first to do the things he did on the guitar without him you wouldn't have 99% pf the great guitar players of today playing the way they do,
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.12.2008 - 04:36
Talvi

Any OMG AMAZING GUITAR PLAYER THERE may be better than Hendrix, but the only difference is that all those guitarrist will be forgotten when they die, and they awesome playing style is all thanks to Hendrix. That's the difference between him and the grindcore guitarrist you people think are da best evar.

But I prefer Robert Fripp.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
28.12.2008 - 20:08
Kanto

Written by Elio on 16.10.2008 at 23:46

Written by Guest on 30.08.2008 at 17:00

As others have said, there are so many great guitarists now that you couldn't possibly find the most technically amazing one. There's a shit-ton of people puttin' up youtube videos who are even better than their heroes. So really the only way to gage "best" anymore is to see who's had the biggest impact.

It no longer matters how talented you are. Therefore Jimi wins.

Amen brother. Jimi had a huge impact at that time. That inflamed guitar played with teeth is enough. He is a living legend....uh, wait...a dead legend.
100% Agree, if you die a year after the most famous Woodstock ever (famous also because of you) congratulations! You're a legend! The same with Beethoven who made music with his deafness, but is he the best? I don't think so...but is remarkably good AND a legend.

And...that's it, I don't know exactly if he is the best guitar player ever (actually I know like 3 or 4 songs), but history put a crown into him because HE MADE history.
----
...Dude.
04.01.2009 - 04:16
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Talvi on 28.12.2008 at 04:36

the grindcore guitarrist you people think are da best evar.

wtf what grindcore guitarists are among the best ever?