Metal Storm logo
Do you think that Jimi Hendrix is the best guitar player ever?

Original post

Posted by , 01.08.2006 - 00:59
I beeing searching in many list the best guitar player of all times in almost every list in the number one is Jimmy Hendrix. I have a lot of videos of him and he is very talentous I most say. But the question is: Is he the best guitar player ever? Most of people says that yes but in my opinion there are guitar players in his level or even better in musical genres such as jazz and metal. In speed and tecnic for example I think that Michael Romeo (Symphony x), Kiko Loureiro (Angra) and John Petrucci are better than him. I actually don´t play guitar, I play keyboards but like everyone I can see the tecnic of a musician just by seing him. In jazz and classical music also there a lot of talentous guys that plays guitar in other level.
Do you think that Jimmy Hendrix is actually the best guitar player ever?
Or do you think that are better guitar players?
04.01.2009 - 15:30
Talvi

Written by Dangerboner on 04.01.2009 at 04:16

Written by Talvi on 28.12.2008 at 04:36

the grindcore guitarrist you people think are da best evar.

wtf what grindcore guitarists are among the best ever?

I was mocking people that think that the guitarrist from their random favorite death/grindcore band is good because he plays insanely fast.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
08.01.2009 - 10:50
Eeric
Account deleted
I mock people who keep saying that jimi hendrix is best, even more if the jimi-worshipper didn't even exist when jimi was alive. saying that jimi is best guitarist ever is like saying that Ford model T is best car ever.
09.01.2009 - 23:59
Zombie, M.D.

Written by Guest on 08.01.2009 at 10:50

I mock people who keep saying that jimi hendrix is best, even more if the jimi-worshipper didn't even exist when jimi was alive. saying that jimi is best guitarist ever is like saying that Ford model T is best car ever.

What does not being alive when the person was around have to do with anything?
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
10.01.2009 - 05:38
Piro

Agreed, that shouldn't matter... I'm sure many people would agree if I said Beethoven or Mozart are the best composers ever, even though none of us were alive back then.

Back on topic...

I certainly do not think he is the best guitarist ever. There are plenty of musicians at his level, and probably quite a few above it. Still, you cannot rate a guitarist because music just like almost everything else, is subjective, and so there is really no way to determine who is the "best" guitarist ever.
----
<Philosophy>Insert Intelligent Sounding yet meaningless Philosophical Quote Here</Philosophy>
11.01.2009 - 15:34
Nimlot
A. Reader
In my opinion Jimi was an amazing guitarist, but as we all know music evolves and so do playing techniques... so in other words guitarists like Michael Angelo Batio or Yngwie have probably outdone him in samo aspects of playing, but there is another factor to a musician which is playing emotionally, the said guitarists are missing that unlike Hendrix which for me makes him better than them. As Joe Satriani said "Music is the language of the heart, the sound of the soul." And is Jimi the best ? It depends on whether you can connect to his music or not.
14.01.2009 - 09:09
Eeric
Account deleted
Written by Zombie, M.D. on 09.01.2009 at 23:59

What does not being alive when the person was around have to do with anything?

Yep, I admit that was quite stupid to say that, but I (once again) write before thinking, sorry my bad
15.01.2009 - 18:24
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by Nimlot on 11.01.2009 at 15:34

In my opinion Jimi was an amazing guitarist, but as we all know music evolves and so do playing techniques... so in other words guitarists like Michael Angelo Batio or Yngwie have probably outdone him in samo aspects of playing, but there is another factor to a musician which is playing emotionally, the said guitarists are missing that unlike Hendrix which for me makes him better than them. As Joe Satriani said "Music is the language of the heart, the sound of the soul." And is Jimi the best ? It depends on whether you can connect to his music or not.

Yngwie could never compare to Jimi Hendrix, and this is coming from a guy who doesn't like Hendrix's music. Hendrix reinvented the guitar, the things the man did were so groundbreaking. Let me put it this way, Jimi is like the Shakespeare of guitarists and Yngwiw is like a guy who can say the alphabet really fast.
----
(space for rent)
15.01.2009 - 22:00
Nimlot
A. Reader
Yngwie was simply an example, and you can't really say Yngwie has no talent... he is quite a sensation in modern guitar playing. And if you don't like Hendrix, do you think you are familiar enough with his work to state his indisputable groundbreaking and innovative style of playing? Nevertheless my point was that there are people who poses greater technique whereas Jimi is one of the most soulful guitarist who's ever lived.
20.01.2009 - 17:30
JayEstonio
Account deleted
The best guitarist for me is Steve Vai because of his amazing command and control with the electric guitar.
The fastest guitarist would be Michael Angelo Batio.
The coolest guitarist would be Paul Gilbert.
and The Weirdest would be Buckethead.
12.03.2009 - 04:29
IronBlackZepp

Jimi Hendrix is one of my favorite guitarists, but can I say he is the best? No. The thing is, Jimi may not have been the fastest player but he was fucking great. But much of his fame is surrounded by his death. Other guitarists who died young also got simular treatment like Randy Rhoads and Stevie Ray Vaughan, who were equally good as Hendrix, but also slightly overrated because of peoples love for dead players. Jimmy Page was (or is) easly as good as Hendrix. John Petrucci and Micheal Romeo are better as far as clean sound and his perfect playing geos.
05.04.2009 - 19:36
Yossarian

Jazz: Pat Metheny then Larry Corryel and George Benson
Rock...Metal: Steve Vai. Then Vinnie Moore, Satriani, Yngwie....

Jimi was a gifted musician at his time, but his style, technique, speed, accuracy and creativity have been overcome by many guitarrists after his time. It is a sign of the times. Evolution does this with many things, as in sports with beating records.
26.07.2009 - 20:26
Saitenhexerin

I do not know if he is the best guitar player ever, I think nobody could state this. But he certainly is one of the most influencial solo guitarists ever. What he did for the music scence is incredible. I wonder where the music/rock/guitar scene was without him ...^^ But I really like his playing, although it is really difficult to play his songs with his style. He's just unique!
----
- When I die, bury me in smoke.
- Defendress of the Faith.
20.08.2009 - 11:31
dEAthB3D

Everyone has their own favorite guitar player... music is a subjective thing
jimi hendrix is the pioneer, just like Pele in football, Chamberlain in basketball, or Bill gates in computer
----
the ultimate use of treason is the treacherous use of reason
22.08.2009 - 09:35
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Yes...Jimi is the pioneer...which doesn't make him the best guitar player ever anymore...he hasn't been for awhile now...
29.08.2009 - 17:26
Panterica

Lol, just when I started writing this post my shuffle played Hey Joe by Hendrix. Hendrix left a big mark, but he's not the best, I'm not sure who's the best, but I would say for now Mikael Akerfeldt. He has good skills but shredding isn't what he focus on, he's playing has a lot of feeling, I love his music.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
09.09.2009 - 01:20
Karasawa II

Not even close, granted he was a ground breaking artist for the guitar did a lot of things for the instrument itself and the hard-rock/rock scene, todays guitar players are 10x better than he ever was or could ever be i believe, just take these for example or any decent hard-rock/metal band the guitarists from Europe to be frank those bands that just keep popping out of Denmark,Sweden, Norway, Finland these guys are way more talented than he was. Plus many of the artists today are also trained classically which I think in the long run gives them that much more of an edge. For example the DragonForce guitarists I'd love to see Jimi play some of there solos let alone full songs by this very talented band, lets see what else i don't have to go anywhere else really how about Yngwie Malmsteen i have just recently listened to some of his work absolutely amazing in a whole other class by himself, only if he could play a little more hard rock besides that so-so power metal.
29.10.2009 - 22:08
Hellish Star

No he's not, not even by far! Maybe he was one of the first shredders but for sure he's not the best!
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
30.10.2009 - 03:21
Derwood

Written by Dane Train on 15.01.2009 at 18:24

Yngwie could never compare to Jimi Hendrix, and this is coming from a guy who doesn't like Hendrix's music. Hendrix reinvented the guitar, the things the man did were so groundbreaking. Let me put it this way, Jimi is like the Shakespeare of guitarists and Yngwiw is like a guy who can say the alphabet really fast.

That is one of the best analogies I've ever encountered, Dane.

Technical superiority does not make a better musician, though I do enjoy virtuoso performances, like Vai and Yngwie and so many other names thrown out in this thread are known for. The problem with that type of playing is that it is emotionally flat, it lacks soul. It makes me say, "Wow, that guy is technically amazing," but it has never, ever brought a tear to my eye or brought joy to my heart - just a pleasing noise to my ears.

Music ultimately needs to communicate on an emotional level. On that basis, Jimi remains light years beyond even the best shredders. That doesn't make him the best, though. The best I've ever heard, the guitarist who is able to move me emotionally more than any other I've ever heard, is Robert Johnson, and he's been dead a lot longer than Hendrix.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
30.10.2009 - 17:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Derwood on 30.10.2009 at 03:21

That is one of the best analogies I've ever encountered, Dane.

Technical superiority does not make a better musician, though I do enjoy virtuoso performances, like Vai and Yngwie and so many other names thrown out in this thread are known for. The problem with that type of playing is that it is emotionally flat, it lacks soul. It makes me say, "Wow, that guy is technically amazing," but it has never, ever brought a tear to my eye or brought joy to my heart - just a pleasing noise to my ears.

Music ultimately needs to communicate on an emotional level. On that basis, Jimi remains light years beyond even the best shredders. That doesn't make him the best, though. The best I've ever heard, the guitarist who is able to move me emotionally more than any other I've ever heard, is Robert Johnson, and he's been dead a lot longer than Hendrix.

It seems like the GeriatricStormers once again agree.
But be honest it's not fair to compare Hendrix to Robert Johnson because as we all know Johnson sold his soul to the Devil at the crossroads and Hendrix never that
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.10.2009 - 20:12
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
So simple take a look at "Yngwie" then take a look at "Jimmi", exactly Yngwie is better! lol

but yes he is the most Important guitarist of the world.
30.10.2009 - 20:23
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 30.10.2009 at 20:12

So simple take a look at "Yngwie" then take a look at "Jimmi", exactly Yngwie is better! lol

Yngwie better than Jimi? This one made me laugh - just listen to Yngwie's cover of Hendrix's Manic Depression; Yngiwe trying to sound like Jimi and failing at it.

At least hendrix had the guts to experiment with his music, Yngwie never did.
30.10.2009 - 20:45
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 30.10.2009 at 20:23

Yngwie better than Jimi? This one made me laugh - just listen to Yngwie's cover of Hendrix's Manic Depression; Yngiwe trying to sound like Jimi and failing at it.

I give time to any guitarist to cover perfect! I mean exact melodies. jimmi or any cant play those notes of neo classic rocks which malmsteen plays in concerts man! Yngwie is really unbelievable man
30.10.2009 - 22:03
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 30.10.2009 at 20:45

I give time to any guitarist to cover perfect! I mean exact melodies. jimmi or any cant play those notes of neo classic rocks which malmsteen plays in concerts man! Yngwie is really unbelievable man

A cover is not supposed to be the perfect copy, exacet melody as you say, but the cover I mentioned is soulless, inexpressive, the feeling of the original song is gone.

There is no such thing as "best guitar player", the question in the poll is pretty much pointless.
31.10.2009 - 22:16
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 30.10.2009 at 22:03

There is no such thing as "best guitar player", the question in the poll is pretty much pointless.

this is not a poll! but Im agree with you and I said Jimmi is the most important guitar player and again Maybe. Im not in a level to talk about such things not techniqullay and not musically and not ... lol
01.11.2009 - 04:31
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 31.10.2009 at 22:16

Written by Guest on 30.10.2009 at 22:03

this is not a poll! but Im agree with you and I said Jimmi is the most important guitar player and again Maybe. Im not in a level to talk about such things not techniqullay and not musically and not ... lol

My mistake, I meant the question of the topic. Oh well...
01.11.2009 - 08:27
Zuzuz0r

I find pointless to compare Hendrix to Malmsteen, though both are guitarists, they have different styles, Hendrix is more psychedelic and bluesy, Malmsteen is totally in the neo-classical style, is like comparing David Gilmour to Paco de Lucía. Is he the best guitar player ever?, he was an important musician to the rock genre, and his style was unique and innovative for his time, there's no doubt in that, but as I say, it's a matter of opinions, someone can say that Steve Vai is the worst guitarist ever and that Brad Delson is the greatest guitarist that ever existed, discussions like this are endless.
----
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead.
01.11.2009 - 17:14
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Zuzuz0r on 01.11.2009 at 08:27

I find pointless to compare Hendrix to Malmsteen, though both are guitarists, they have different styles, Hendrix is more psychedelic and bluesy, Malmsteen is totally in the neo-classical style, is like comparing David Gilmour to Paco de Lucía. Is he the best guitar player ever?, he was an important musician to the rock genre, and his style was unique and innovative for his time, there's no doubt in that, but as I say, it's matter of opinions, someone can say that Steve Vai is the worst guitarist ever and that Brad Delson is the greatest guitarist that ever existed, discussions like this are endless.

I could not agree to you more, Hendrix and Malmsteen are totally different, I guess I just hate it when people say Malmsteen is better than Hendrix. Malmsteen admires Hendrix, covers songs of him, but for me at least the results are terrible.
29.12.2009 - 23:55
Don Martin
le fu-
At least he terribly owns Satriani, Vai and Malmsteen, haha!
Being part hippie/punk/metalhead, Hendrix definitely is my favourite guitar player.
He could do things with a guitar nobody can do nowadays!
----
What a tackastrophe!
01.01.2010 - 17:30
I_Die_Often

What I have heard said about Jimi, in documentaries, is that he had long hands and could easily play both a lead and rhythm at the same time.

My Favorites are Stevie Ray Vaughn (who played a lot of Hendrix stuff) and David Gilmour.
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
22.01.2010 - 18:24
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook

that is very true he was the best in his era
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS