Metal Storm logo
Do you think that Jimi Hendrix is the best guitar player ever?

Original post

Posted by , 01.08.2006 - 00:59
I beeing searching in many list the best guitar player of all times in almost every list in the number one is Jimmy Hendrix. I have a lot of videos of him and he is very talentous I most say. But the question is: Is he the best guitar player ever? Most of people says that yes but in my opinion there are guitar players in his level or even better in musical genres such as jazz and metal. In speed and tecnic for example I think that Michael Romeo (Symphony x), Kiko Loureiro (Angra) and John Petrucci are better than him. I actually don´t play guitar, I play keyboards but like everyone I can see the tecnic of a musician just by seing him. In jazz and classical music also there a lot of talentous guys that plays guitar in other level.
Do you think that Jimmy Hendrix is actually the best guitar player ever?
Or do you think that are better guitar players?
22.01.2010 - 18:27
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Don Martin on 29.12.2009 at 23:55

At least he terribly owns Satriani, Vai and Malmsteen, haha!
Being part hippie/punk/metalhead, Hendrix definitely is my favourite guitar player.
He could do things with a guitar nobody can do nowadays!

I HIGHLY doubt that
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
22.01.2010 - 18:54
soadbyob
Account deleted
No, given he is in the top 10, but not number 1. Buckethead takes that place!
22.01.2010 - 22:47
Angelic Storm
Melodious
No!
23.01.2010 - 14:40
gravity5x

He was good for his time but no where near # 1
23.01.2010 - 15:56
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
We have Michael Angelo, Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani, John Petrucci, Kirk Hammet, Steve Vai, Slash now. all of them are better than Jimi Hendrix I think.
26.03.2010 - 05:06
Vathek

No, that would involve me knowing every single guitar player in existence, ever...
Can you send me a list?
----
"Nothing is Real. Everything is Permitted."
26.03.2010 - 05:07
Vathek

HAHAHAH Michael Angelo... *Burn*
----
"Nothing is Real. Everything is Permitted."
18.05.2010 - 16:51
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 18.05.2010 at 06:08

No, The best guitar player is Herman Li

30.05.2010 - 20:02
vezzy
Stallmanite
I don't know about THE best (although I do think he is better than Buckethead), but definitely in the top 5 at least. "Machine Gun" is one of the greatest instrumentals ever.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
05.08.2010 - 16:11
Demonmayonnaise

Not best, but the greatest.
06.08.2010 - 00:02
the stranger

Written by Demonmayonnaise on 05.08.2010 at 16:11

Not best, but the greatest.

That's probably the best definition one can give for Hendrix.
11.08.2010 - 23:58
TheBigRossowski

No, he's not the best guitarist of all times, but one of the greatest. His songs just had a lot of s-o-u-l, man, a lot of ugh, ugh, feeling, man.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
13.09.2010 - 20:09
TheBigRossowski

Written by TheBigRossowski on 11.08.2010 at 23:58

No, he's not the best guitarist of all times, but one of the greatest. His songs just had a lot of s-o-u-l, man, a lot of ugh, ugh, feeling, man.

Well, I hate to step on my own dick here, man, but new shit has come to light. I think, when we look at everything Hendrix could do back in those days, gives him this status. Nobody was doing what he was doing in 1968... at least for the rock genre. His blues idols really had it going on though as well.

He was number one on Rolling Stone's Best Guitarist 2003 and I think he deserved it.

Are there better guitarists today? Of course, but not in the same light, you know, man?
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
14.09.2010 - 01:03
RockeRoy

It's so manny guitarists that are better than him, even i am better:) but technique, speed and accuracy is not what made him so great, he just had that unique sound, and playd the guitar with so much heart. no dout he was a good player to, but thats not what made him so special. But at the time he was playing he was one of the absolute best players in that style of music i guess, and there are alot of oldtimers that just won't recognize new awsome players
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
15.09.2010 - 03:26
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Alot of guitarists also had unique sounds. so, what's so special about him? .. i agree he is -somewhat- special, but is he REALLY the greatest guitar player ever ? ... you cannot give that title to a guitarist based on just ONE criteria, being creative or unique.. that title should go to someone who is unique, creative, and technically good, who can play fast, do weird-acrobatic- shit that no one else can do ...
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
25.11.2010 - 14:05
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Jimi Hendrix one of the best but not the best ever
29.11.2010 - 01:52
Face The Venom

Written by gravity5x on 23.01.2010 at 14:40

He was good for his time but no where near # 1

exactly what I think.

By the way Motorhead ROCKS!
30.11.2010 - 01:41
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by RockeRoy on 14.09.2010 at 01:03

It's so manny guitarists that are better than him, even i am better:) but technique, speed and accuracy is not what made him so great, he just had that unique sound, and playd the guitar with so much heart. no dout he was a good player to, but thats not what made him so special. But at the time he was playing he was one of the absolute best players in that style of music i guess, and there are alot of oldtimers that just won't recognize new awsome players

easy on the ego, there, turbo... you, better than hendrix?

"oldtimers that just won't recognize new awsome (sic) players"

no. it's old timers that recognize his importance and the significance of what he did and when he did it. he was lightyears ahead. i don't give a shit if some dude can masturbate up and down the fretboard at light speed. none of them have had remotely the impact tha the did, nor the songwriting ability he did.

to each their own, but i'll take hendrix over any of the "artists" whose cd's i bought in my "guitar for the practicing musician" days.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
02.12.2010 - 20:44
RockeRoy

Written by BitterCOld on 30.11.2010 at 01:41

Written by RockeRoy on 14.09.2010 at 01:03

easy on the ego, there, turbo... you, better than hendrix?

"oldtimers that just won't recognize new awsome (sic) players"

no. it's old timers that recognize his importance and the significance of what he did and when he did it. he was lightyears ahead. i don't give a shit if some dude can masturbate up and down the fretboard at light speed. none of them have had remotely the impact tha the did, nor the songwriting ability he did.

to each their own, but i'll take hendrix over any of the "artists" whose cd's i bought in my "guitar for the practicing musician" days.

you realy, i mean realy got me wrong! i am a big Hendrix fan. The impact he has on music is undeniable. but all i'm saying is that he was one of the best of his time, maybe the best, but today he wouldn't be recognized the same way because there are so many unhumanly god player today, and not just mastrubators:) and those who mastrubate does not only mastrubate they can play anything in anyway they wan't. i think John petrucci, steve vai er the moast extreme.. those guys mastrubates with both hands, they play awsome epic soulful pices and they master the unpolished rock guitar sound like hendrix. i mean these guys are heavily influenced by him. They can play anything, they know every scale and can use them for improvisation flawlessly on the spot, i don't think Hendrix even knew what key he was in.
And Guys like petrucci and vai ¨had just as much impact ass hendrix. maybe not on people born before the 70's but who cares- Hendrix is out, every one else is in for the moast. I love Hendrix, but i am a bit of nostalgic, but music evolves like everything else and you would be a fool to not follow the evolution. an evolution Hendrix was and still is a big part of.
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
04.12.2010 - 11:23
npk

IMO, definitely not 'the very greatest of all time'. Certainly a good one, but there are loads and loads and loads of guitarists who, while being loads and loads and loads of times less influential and less famous, are/were way better. The actual Hendrix wasn't even sort of close to the mythical one.

Absolutely every chord he played (including the wrongly-called Hendrix chord), every 'trick' he popularised, even the trend of playing a national anthem... all those things were pre-existing. And even before he was born, there already were guitar players who performed music much more elaborate than anything he did in his life (of course, not in rock, but at the end of the day it's music).

Hendrix was (and still is) incredibly important as a cultural icon, as a person who directly or indirectly inspired probably millions into buying guitars and trying them out. In terms of influence, he's second to none.

In terms of who is/was a more influential guitarist, nobody would 'beat' Hendrix (I know this is not a football match but...). However, in terms of who plays/played guitar better, there are/were many people who 'beat' him by a country mile, as well as many people who're vastly inferior (Jimmy Page, for instance - I think he's even more over-rated, even, say, Brian May is a better player IMO).
----
"What is left of your dreams?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learned how to teach.
Then forgot how to learn." ~ Queen?White Man
05.12.2010 - 06:15
Wyrd

I don't mind Jimi's playin but I'v never thought of him as the Greatest thing ever. PLus: If I see another "special" Issue of guitar world magazene dedicated to how no other person in the history of earth will ever be as super awesome as Jimi I'm gonna shot my self.

I don't want to make a stand on who is the greatest guitar player, but my persanol Fav would have to be Andre Olbrich from Blind Guardian because for me he is one of the few player with a uniqe style that I can instantly recognize.
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
17.12.2010 - 00:58
bandido

No, he's not
----
"Rockin' every single piece of metal..."
17.12.2010 - 01:47
ANGEL REAPER

Probably he is not! But he was the first so that is the main reason why he was labeled as the best of all times....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
22.12.2010 - 00:50
Veljko?

I think it's all about our opinion. In my opinion, he's one of the greatest guitarists. However, I can't name the best one. I like Satriani the most, but I enjoy other guitarists too. On the other hand, I enjoy Buckethead's music because it's so unique, interesting and weird. So, I guess that's just my taste, and we're different, of course.
27.12.2010 - 04:42
CzirjakMan

He's widely considered the best not because of his playing ability (even though it's awesome) but because of how innovative he was. In the late 60's he was playing shit that no one had heard before. Other guitarist's like Van Halen and Malmsteen are also credited for innovation more so than ability- I'm sure there's loads of guitarist's out there who could out solo Hendrix or out-tap Van Halen, but these guys were the first of their kinds
18.03.2011 - 07:26
Void_Eater
Account deleted
I have a live D.V.D on Hendrix, and the only imressive thing he does is play with his teeth-which is pretty damn awesome, but aside from that, he wasn't all that special. His solo's just consisted of major wammy bar overusage. Sure, back in his day he was one of the, if not the best guitarist(s), but nowdays, there's plenty of shredders that are leagues above him in technical skill.
26.04.2011 - 00:19
ADIresiduos

Jimi's THE MAN!, the legend... unique... definitely not the best guitarist (speed, technique, accuracy, etc.), but he had his very own way of playing, all heart, all soul.
One of the best influences for a lot of guitarists, mostly in feeling
26.02.2012 - 22:40
Infernal Eternal

Nooo
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
28.02.2012 - 14:38
moe5512

No but the most influential
07.04.2012 - 04:15
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Yes

nothing to see here, really
----