Metal Storm logo
Decade awards?

12.01.2010 - 22:38
pdepmcp
Hi guys, the end of 2009 is not only the end of an year, it's the end of a decade too.
The first end of a decade since ms awards exist!

What about creating some categories in the awards related to it?

Some example could be:
best new decade band - with only band who released their debut in the decade
more representative band for the decade
worst letdown of the decade
and of course things like best/worst records/song.

I think a detailed list of awards for such a period is of no interest, just 8-10 categories to draw together a balance of ten years of metal.

I guess it's a pretty hard work since it requires the definition of the categories and the nominations, but I think it'd be appreciated
12.01.2010 - 22:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Nice idea, but a bit time-consuming. We are working on something about the past decade though. So, don't worry. We haven't forgot about the past decade. Just hang in there and you'll see. Currently we're extremely busy with the 2009 awards.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.01.2010 - 22:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Think along the lines of something like What A Year It Was - 2009 Through The Eyes Of The MS Staff/Elite but then concentrated on albums.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.01.2010 - 22:55
Warman
Erotic Stains
I think it's a great idea.
----
13.01.2010 - 00:14
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
The particularly astute may have noticed that many staffers have already done something in this vein... mosey on over to the blogs section.

as for Decade Awards, probably nothing in the manner of our annual awards, but as Marcel stated, plans are developing. too much of our drug/booze/metal addled brainpower is currently being devoted to just sifting through 2009.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
13.01.2010 - 00:40
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Yeah, even if 2009 was the best metal year of the decade, that's quite an undertaking.
So, while waiting for something about a past (or not) decade, you'll have the awards first!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
14.01.2010 - 13:05
pdepmcp
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.01.2010 at 22:40

Nice idea, but a bit time-consuming. We are working on something about the past decade though. So, don't worry. We haven't forgot about the past decade. Just hang in there and you'll see. Currently we're extremely busy with the 2009 awards.

Nice to know. I guess having something in a different period could even keep more interest for the people, so it sounds pretty cool.
14.01.2010 - 13:14
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I dont know...whoever here can honestly say he has listened "enough stuff" to really objectively rate what was "best of decade"?
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

14.01.2010 - 13:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Ellrohir on 14.01.2010 at 13:14

I dont know...whoever here can honestly say he has listened "enough stuff" to really objectively rate what was "best of decade"?

Old people?

And you say "obejectively rate" rating music is never objective. It is always a matter of taste/opinion and as subjective as can be.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.01.2010 - 07:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Ellrohir on 14.01.2010 at 13:14

And who has listened to enough stuff from a year to objectively rate what is best from a given year?
Have you listened to all 2009 releases?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.01.2010 - 07:28
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Lay off the lad, marcel. i agree with him. wholeheartedly.

he is right.

no one has listened to "enough stuff" to rate anything. what if they missed something better?

no one is "objective" enough, either. we all play favorites, from people who love their generic euro flower metal to the kvltest of the kvlt.

so let's cancel a "decade" award feature/article, even though it's really a fun exercise in subjective opinion to tip our caps to albums that moved us.

and i'll stop the presses on the MS Awards as well. certainly none of us, staff or users, are objective enough to cast a vote their, either.

i'll also ask Ivan remove all reviews with numerical scores, what makes the reviewer qualified, objective enough to comment?

we'll also remove the rating system entirely. as that is also horribly flawed.

ultimately, as we are all subjective, not one amongst us is worthy to cast any votes on anything. or to comment on anything, either. forums should simply be limited to factual statements such as "the new High On Fire will be released in February, 2010" so that any opinion is removed completely. this means, of course, the remainder of the reviews must go as well. but at least the site will now be objective. and we won't be saying that one album is better than others. who are we, as mere mortals, to judge?

ALL MUSIC IS THE SAME. ALL MUSIC IS EQUAL. NONE OF US ARE WORTHY TO JUDGE IT AS NONE OF US HAVE "HEARD ENOUGH STUFF" TO BE "OBJECTIVE."

ESOTERIC = MANOWAR = LADY GAGA = THEME FROM SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS

/end sarcasm.

i think folks who have listened to an awful lot of metal making SUBJECTIVE lists about what they liked is fine. people can feel free to agree with the lists. people can feel free to disagree with lists. people can discuss and debate lists. lists might actually expose people to cool new music.

subjective lists compiled by mere mortal metal fans >>>> "The new darkthrone will be released in the first half of 2010."
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
15.01.2010 - 09:31
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
I used to consider this a great idea as well, and it is. That was before I realized first hand how much work is put into the yearly MS awards...then multiply that by 10. I think maybe a simplified look-back on the past decade in various articles would be fine (some stuff has been in discussion, as well as take a look at the staff/elite blog lists). If we were to put together a decade awards much like the yearly MS awards, we might have it ready by April of 2012, too bad the world will end a few months prior.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
15.01.2010 - 13:05
pdepmcp
Written by Doc G. on 15.01.2010 at 09:31

I used to consider this a great idea as well, and it is. That was before I realized first hand how much work is put into the yearly MS awards...then multiply that by 10. I think maybe a simplified look-back on the past decade in various articles would be fine (some stuff has been in discussion, as well as take a look at the staff/elite blog lists). If we were to put together a decade awards much like the yearly MS awards, we might have it ready by April of 2012, too bad the world will end a few months prior.

I think it's pretty hard work to realize, but there are the yearly MS awards to start from, and it doesn't need to have tons of categories...maybe a large enough amount of nominations.
And, after all, pretty things are rarely easy.
The point is that articles and blogs are personal look back (interesting, don't get me wrong, but still personal). Awards are somehow collective, and that is interesting too.
15.01.2010 - 17:51
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
If/when something is unveiled the format will be different, i imagine.
----