Metal Storm logo
Terrorizer 2009 awards

13.01.2010 - 00:12
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Ripped this idea (and huge tracts of text) off from Marcel.

let the fussing and feuding begin:

From the latest Terrorizer magazine and their 2009 Readers Poll

Behemoth won the following categories:
Best Album
Best Cover Art
Best Band
Best Vocalist
Best Guitarist
Best Drummer
Best Bassist
Best Live Band
Personality Of The Year (Nergal)

all they didn't win were:
Biggest Music News Event (The Return Of Immortal)
Best Festival (Wacken Open Air) Hellfest came in third and Bloodstock Open Air second

This is their Readers' top 10 for best albums:
Behemoth - Evangelion
Chthonic - Mirror Of Retribution
Ensiferum - From Afar
Megadeth - Endgame
Immortal - All Shall Fall
Nile - For Whom The Gods Detest
Mastodon - Crack the Skye
Hypocrisy - A Taste Of Extreme Divinity
Katatonia - Night Is The New Day
Secrets Of The Moon - Privilegium

And here is their Staff's Critics' Choice The Top 40 Albums Of 2009
01. Converge - Axe To Fall
02. Cobalt - Gin
03. Kylesa - Static Tensions
04. Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vtusta II: Dialogue with The Stars
05. Napalm Death - Time Waits For No Slave
06. Mastodon - Crack The Skye
07. Megadeth - Endgame
08. Agoraphobic Nosebleed - Agorapocalypse
09. Funeral Mist - Maranatha
10. Immortal - All Shall Fall
11. Drudkh - MIcrocosmos
12. Beherit - Engram
13. Portal - Swarth
14. Sunn O))) - Monoliths & Dimensions
15. Marduk - Wormwood
16. Absu - Absu
17. Tombs - Winter Hours
18. Burnt By The Sun - Heart Of Darkness
19. Heaven And Hell - The Devil You Know
20. Anaal Nathrakh - In The Constellation Of The Black Widow
21. Arckanum - PPPPPPPPPP
22. Baroness - Blue Record
23. Madder Mortem
24. The Devil's Blood - The Time Of No Time Evermore
25. Archgoat - The Light-Devouring Darkness
26. Shining - VI Klagopsalmer
27. Candlemass - Death Magic Doom
28. Hacride - Lazarus
29. Fukpig - Spewings From A Selfish Nation
30. Amorphis - Skyforger
31. Brutal Truth - Evolution Therough Revolution
32. Grey Machine - Disconnected
33. Behemoth - Evangelion
34. Unanimated - In The Light Of Darkness
35. Obscura - Cosmogenesis
36. Gnaw Their Tongues - All The Dread, Magnificence Of Perversity
37. Shrinebuilder - Shrinebuilder
38. Teitanblood - Seven Chalices
39. Gorgoroth - Quantos POssunt Ad Satanitatem
40. Evile - Infected Nations
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
13.01.2010 - 00:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
So you let me do the dirty work?
Btw had to change your topic title from "Terrozier" to "Terrorizer"
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.01.2010 - 00:23
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.01.2010 at 00:17

i live in the US... we won't even get this issue for another couple weeks. fuck, i just picked up Novembers last week.

as for the spelling, "D'oh!"
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
13.01.2010 - 00:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by BitterCOld on 13.01.2010 at 00:23

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.01.2010 at 00:17

i live in the US... we won't even get this issue for another couple weeks. fuck, i just picked up Novembers last week.

OKay, okay, I forgive you.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.01.2010 - 12:53
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
So all the categories that Behemoth won are according to the readers or the staff? It looks rather ridiculous anyhow...
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
13.01.2010 - 13:48
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Lol...why "behemoth's new album" wasnt the biggest news event and "any place where behemoth played" the biggest festival?

and why there isnt Cybion somewhere in the top 40? i can live with the fact they didnt won, but not even to mention it in top list?
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

13.01.2010 - 13:56
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Written by Ellrohir on 13.01.2010 at 13:48

and why there isnt Cybion somewhere in the top 40? i can live with the fact they didnt won, but not even to mention it in top list?

It's because Terrorizer's staff usually have a pretty decent ear for quality
14.01.2010 - 01:49
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by jupitreas on 13.01.2010 at 13:56

Written by Ellrohir on 13.01.2010 at 13:48

It's because Terrorizer's staff usually have a pretty decent ear for quality

Snap. This cracked me up pretty hard. Yeah, aside from the Behemoth fellatio (on behalf of the readers, which generally does have garbage results), this is one list that doesn't make me scratch my head.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
14.01.2010 - 01:55
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Last year Behemoth won Best Live Act, Best Drummer, and Best Vocalist... despite not releasing an album.
----

14.01.2010 - 02:10
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
People really need to lay off the fanboyism. Seriously. Yeah, it's great to support your favourite band, but there is other music out there.

BitterCOld, I really hope your blog on the MS awards will prevent shit like that from happening here...or at least to a lesser degree.
----
- George Carlin
14.01.2010 - 02:56
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Doc G. on 14.01.2010 at 02:10

People really need to lay off the fanboyism. Seriously. Yeah, it's great to support your favourite band, but there is other music out there.

BitterCOld, I really hope your blog on the MS awards will prevent shit like that from happening here...or at least to a lesser degree.

I could be making a rash and ignorant generalization, but I doubt most people have heard all of the albums in each respective genre that they cast a vote in. More likely, they have heard one or two and then just samples of the rest (if even that) and then vote for their favorite. I realize that to be able to listen to nearly 200 albums enough times over to make as an objective vote as possible would cost many hundreds if not thousands of hours, but it's one of the many flaws of the system and one reason why I do not vote. I wish you were right but I don't think what anyone says will change that. It's like people voting for a candidate.: they hear what they want to hear and then vote.
----
The force will be with you, always.
14.01.2010 - 11:12
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
The only option how to "fix" this - disable public vote and let only staff members to decide...but i guess it isnt exactly the way we all want to follow...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

14.01.2010 - 11:17
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Ellrohir on 14.01.2010 at 11:12

The only option how to "fix" this - disable public vote and let only staff members to decide...but i guess it isnt exactly the way we all want to follow...

We will have the staff picks as well, it's the best of both worlds!
----
- George Carlin
15.01.2010 - 01:38
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
I am more than happy with system as is.

staff have our own picks. don't always agree with 'em, but at least see the wisdom in them. there is the joy in participating in that.

and then there is the joy of seeing how the "peoples choice" awards unfold, and all the whining, crying, bitching, moaning, and /wrists that ensue afterwards. it's my favorite time of the year. being in the US, hours and hours behind Europe, it's fantastic. every day is like Christmas morning. by the time i get up and log in, there are tons of new whines to help me make it through the day.

as Stewie Griffin once said, "your tears sustain me."
----

18.01.2010 - 21:45
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I think Terrorizer's top 40 of each year gets a little worse each time. I'd say a bunch of those are on it purely because they're big bands that happen to have released albums that year: Sunn, Marduk, Immortal, Behemoth etc.

It's still far from an awful list, it's just a bit obvious and they could have taken a chance at putting some lesser know bands on there that were more deserving.
19.01.2010 - 06:05
Ag Fox
Angel No More
I disagree Endgame being up there... it's good at best >: if talking about big names, surely "world painted in blood" or even "hordes of chaos" is better? Quite happy with Kylesa beating Mastodon and Baroness though heh
However, I really should check out cobalt, shouldn't I?
----
loves 小巫
19.01.2010 - 14:23
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Ag Fox on 19.01.2010 at 06:05

That's what I've been thinking for a few months already.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
19.01.2010 - 17:50
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 18.01.2010 at 21:45

I think Terrorizer's top 40 of each year gets a little worse each time. I'd say a bunch of those are on it purely because they're big bands that happen to have released albums that year: Sunn, Marduk, Immortal, Behemoth etc.

It's still far from an awful list, it's just a bit obvious and they could have taken a chance at putting some lesser know bands on there that were more deserving.

Yeah I agree...I like how you used to word "obvious" because that pretty much sums it up. I for one wouldnt have included Immortal of Behemoth at all - Immortal just churned out another repetitive album and Behemoth is only on there because its fucking heavy....yet boring.

I would also have liked these guys to investigate a bit...when you look at the Readers' Top 10 you can quickly realise that those are people who hardly investigate or have a passion for finding new music because its always the same fuckers on the list. Im pretty sure any metalhead worth his salt with a PASSION and HUNGER for metal would have delved a bit deeper and found some surprisingly good bands who actually deserve to be on their top 10. Not just vote for a band because they recognise their name. It probably doesnt help when Terrorizer blows everything out of proportion when big-name bands release and album and release a 20-page spread on all these big bands whenever something comes out, whether its good or not.
19.01.2010 - 18:41
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Guest on 19.01.2010 at 17:50

I would also have liked these guys to investigate a bit...when you look at the Readers' Top 10 you can quickly realise that those are people who hardly investigate or have a passion for finding new music because its always the same fuckers on the list. Im pretty sure any metalhead worth his salt with a PASSION and HUNGER for metal would have delved a bit deeper and found some surprisingly good bands who actually deserve to be on their top 10. Not just vote for a band because they recognise their name. It probably doesnt help when Terrorizer blows everything out of proportion when big-name bands release and album and release a 20-page spread on all these big bands whenever something comes out, whether its good or not.

what it comes down to is the LCD carries the most weight. having a big spread on Immortal (after a 7 year lay off) makes sense, as that will drive magazine sales. a lot of metal rags have folded lately (metal maniacs was a long time stalwart), so whatever keeps the doors open is a good thing, so long as it remains metal-focused.

The biggest names are, well, the biggest names, and as a result have the most fans, therefore draw the most votes. the same holds true with the MS awards, the NBA/baseball All Star voting here in the US, and pretty much anywhere else.

Opeth's next album could be called Dehsretaw and be nothing but Watershed played backwards and it would still win the "best Prog metal" category with a margin of victory greater than the total number of votes cast in the Stoner/Sludge category.

Even the staff picks make sense as Marcel pointed out.

Why?

Simple - i think as a general rule, people have comfort zones. If Staffer A's comfort zone is Power metal, they will know power metal up and down, but when it comes to, say, Black Metal, they are not as well versed. if they check out stuff from other genres, it's likely to be the big name stuff - it likely has the most buzz and is also likely the most accessible.

You cited Immortal - i consider them a perfect example. of the black metal released this year, what is more likely to appeal to someone whose taste primarily lies in other, less harsh forms of metal? Immortal or Oranssi Pazuzu?

ultimately the Terrorizer Awards and MS Awards have a lot in common.

LCD will still vote SSDY (Same Shit, Different Year)... and invariably "elitists" will whine and bitch about the choices of the masses in both cases.

The difference is Terrorizer is completely open in voting - and uses the staff picks as an opportunity to promote some smaller bands who released albums of merit. With MS, the awards are largely closed with the staff determining what makes the cut (we do allow write-ins in genre voting, but those releases, however popular the band, seldom receive enough votes to beat out even the 8-10th placing releases that 'make the cut') ... so i think we do a better job in pointing out some smaller bands that deserve pub.

short version - they have a top 40 - and maybe 15 or so smaller acts when you start culling away the big names. we have somewhere between 150 and 190 nominated albums, and probably 100 or so smaller acts amongst the nominees.

ultimately, both provide those that "hunger" for new music with some pointers on bands to check out and it is up to the listener to take the initiative.

my favorite part of our awards, or posting results of other awards, is the sheer amount of "OMGWTF!" crap that comes out with either staff or public lists. most people seem to focus on the fact they are unhappy about how they came out, as opposed to looking at it realistically, expecting a list you are likely going to disagree with (it's a rational thought to think the tastes of others will not mirror your own, especially the more obscure your musical preferences) and being happy to see one or three of your favorites appearing on their list as well.
----

25.01.2010 - 04:49
SerratedSyringe

Of course Behemoth seems overrated, but I am pretty happy with the staff choice.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
25.01.2010 - 12:08
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by K✞ulu on 19.01.2010 at 14:23

Written by Ag Fox on 19.01.2010 at 06:05

That's what I've been thinking for a few months already.

Nah - it's about as overrated as the new Immortal album