Metal Storm logo
Sludge Metal

Original post

Posted by Clintagräm, 13.01.2010 - 07:34
I thought I'd open this thread since there wasn't one. Talk, discuss, what have you. I'm here for some recommendations on essential Sludge. I know 5ive, Eyehategod, Corrupted, Acid Bath, Grief, and Crowbar but I'd like some others. Any suggestions? Oh yeah:

GRIEF "...AND MAN WILL BECOME THE HUNTED" 2x12" LP
[ THRONE 03 ] (Out now and shipping!!!)
First vinyl pressing ever!
After the successful vinyl release of Grief's "come to grief" last year (which sold out in a few months), Throne Records is releasing now the other Grief album left unissued on vinyl format to date.
"...And man will become the hunted" was the farewel album from this essential band in the Doom Metal genre, released originally on CD in 2000 by Pessimiser Records.
All the artwork comes from the original Eric's canvas and illustrations.
))))) Limited to 666 copies worldwide, one-time pressing
))))) 166 copies come pressed on semitransparent brown / grey splatter vinyl, hand-numbered, only available through Throne Records
))))) Gatefold sleeve, printed inside out over the rough side, with black inked paper bags
))))) Quality 180gr. heavy weight vinyl

http://www.thronerecords.net/MAIN.htm

I'm not really a vinyl person, but I know many are, so this may interest some. Cheers.
07.09.2012 - 00:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 07.09.2012 at 00:29

Written by IronAngel on 07.09.2012 at 00:26
Acid Bath is probably the greatest sludge band out there, except that they're barely sludge half of the time.

The only times I don't see sludge is on their ballads and *maybe* on Tranquilized (talking about their debut that is) which does have a stoner vibe here and there. Pretty much that.... the rest is just sludge with bluesy leads.

On their second album they had some grunge/stoner friendly feeling... Still would call it sludge to anyone asking about their music.

I agree with IronAngel on this one. When you listen to them they are loads of the time actually grunge instead of sludge. It's the nastiness of the lyrics and delivery of the vocals as well which sets them apart from grunge bands.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.09.2012 - 00:39
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.09.2012 at 00:38
I agree with IronAngel on this one. When you listen to them they are loads of the time actually grunge instead of sludge. It's the nastiness of the lyrics and delivery of the vocals as well which sets them apart from grunge bands.

I can agree on the second album but definitely not on the debut. Regardless of the vocals the music is way too nasty on the debut except on the tracks I already mentioned.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
07.09.2012 - 00:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 07.09.2012 at 00:39

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.09.2012 at 00:38

I can agree on the second album but definitely not on the debut. Regardless of the vocals the music is way too nasty on the debut except on the tracks I already mentioned.

Also on the debut though not as much as on the second one. The music on the debut also isn't really nasty. Heavy, yes, but nasty, no. The vocals and lyrics are nasty.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.09.2012 - 00:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.09.2012 at 00:45
Also on the debut though not as much as on the second one. The music on the debut also isn't really nasty. Heavy, yes, but nasty, no. The vocals and lyrics are nasty.

But even so... Sometimes it ain't heavy but I still can't listen to a track like Dope Fiend or Toubabo Koomi (which to me are the less heavy from the debut right after the ballads and tranquilized) and say that it's not sludge, neither of them gives me a grunge vibe either, not a strong vibe at least. Not all sludge must be nasty to be sludge.
----
Rod, let me love you.
07.09.2012 - 00:50
IronAngel

Written by X-Ray Rod on 07.09.2012 at 00:29

Still would call it sludge to anyone asking about their music.

I might agree with that, but they certainly aren't the best example to give about what archetypal sludge sounds like. They don't sound too close to other sludge greats and their high status is due to their exceptional songwriting and tendency to push the envelope. You're taking me out of the context of explaining to Oaken what sludge and stoner sound like in their most common, basic manifestations.
07.09.2012 - 00:53
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by IronAngel on 07.09.2012 at 00:50
I might agree with that, but they certainly aren't the best example to give about what archetypal sludge sounds like. They don't sound too close to other sludge greats and their high status is due to their exceptional songwriting and tendency to push the envelope.

Could be a similar case with Neurosis and Post-metal then. Quoting my man Troy who was talking about them one day:
"Pioneer bands usually don't limit themselves to any specific sound or style, whereas modern bands that elaborate on the sound are quick to pick out bits and pieces of it and focus on that".

To me stoner and sludge was always pretty easy thing. Like you said: For stoner... search for that groove and psychedelic rock vibe somewhere... For sludge: Search the rawness and hardcore. It's and acurate and pretty straightforward approach.

For a more "sludge" band... In that case I'll go with Eyehategod. Doesn't get more direct than that most of the time.
----
Rod, let me love you.
07.09.2012 - 03:29
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
That Zoroaster release in 2010 is pretty bad ass.
----
rekt
12.10.2012 - 21:13
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
Someone should really add Salome to this website

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Salome/107914
18.11.2012 - 21:57
megadeath13
Account deleted
When the kite string Pops from Acid Bath. An essential sludge album. My 2nd favourite is NOLA from the band "Down.
05.12.2012 - 23:37
Guib
Thrash Talker
To the guys arguing up there

If this is sludge by definition

How come this cannot be used among the best examples of archetypal sludge sound

oh and fuck the vocals it does not even matter one bit
no matter the example.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
06.12.2012 - 12:32
The Turbanator

Kowloon Walled City released a new album 2 days back. Sludge Metal.

http://kowloonwalledcity.bandcamp.com/album/container-ships
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
08.12.2012 - 15:15
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by The Turbanator on 06.12.2012 at 12:32

Kowloon Walled City released a new album 2 days back. Sludge Metal.

Heard a lot about this. Interesting to see how sludge and noise coincide. Thanks for the rec!
----
rekt
08.12.2012 - 18:06
theflyingmachine

Any recommendations on good sludge with harsh vocals in the vein of EHG?
Not my favorite genre, but I still like it, but I can't get into sludge bands that employ clean vocals for some reason.
10.12.2012 - 05:02
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by theflyingmachine on 08.12.2012 at 18:06

but I can't get into sludge bands that employ clean vocals for some reason.

Most sludge doesn't have clean vocals...?

Anyway, for some dirty-ass sludge I recommend Coffinworm. For a little more normal stuff try Behold! The Monolith or Black Tusk.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
10.12.2012 - 18:49
The Turbanator

Written by Boxcar Willy on 10.12.2012 at 05:02

Anyway, for some dirty-ass sludge I recommend Coffinworm. For a little more normal stuff try Behold! The Monolith or Black Tusk.

Only sludge band I know that employ clean vocals are Horn Of The Rhino. The best dirtiest harshest vocals will always be Lord Mantis for me, althought that might be off-topic here since they're more blackened Sludge.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
10.12.2012 - 18:54
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by The Turbanator on 10.12.2012 at 18:49
The best dirtiest harshest vocals will always be Lord Mantis for me, althought that might be off-topic here since they're more blackened Sludge.

Not off-topic imo. Still mostly sludge. Just played with a bit of black thrown in.

A more (imo) intense hybrid would be Alkerdeel. Their latest is one of my favorites of this year easily.
----
Rod, let me love you.
10.12.2012 - 18:55
The Turbanator

Written by X-Ray Rod on 10.12.2012 at 18:54

Written by The Turbanator on 10.12.2012 at 18:49
The best dirtiest harshest vocals will always be Lord Mantis for me, althought that might be off-topic here since they're more blackened Sludge.

Not off-topic imo. Still mostly sludge. Just played with a bit of black thrown in.

A more (imo) intense hybrid would be Alkerdeel. Their latest is one of my favorites of this year easily.

Yup, agreed. Alkerdeel is damn good.
----
11.12.2012 - 01:27
theflyingmachine

Thx I'll try those-and the other two listed after this post.

Maybe my definition of clean vocals is a little bit different, as I consider Acid Bath to have clean vocals. But stoner metal probably has more in the way of clean vocals and I probably lop that and sludge together.
11.12.2012 - 20:35
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by theflyingmachine on 11.12.2012 at 01:27

Thx I'll try those-and the other two listed after this post.

Maybe my definition of clean vocals is a little bit different, as I consider Acid Bath to have clean vocals. But stoner metal probably has more in the way of clean vocals and I probably lop that and sludge together.

Well stoner and sludge mixes well together.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here