Metal Storm logo
Sludge Metal

Original post

Posted by Clintagräm, 13.01.2010 - 07:34
I thought I'd open this thread since there wasn't one. Talk, discuss, what have you. I'm here for some recommendations on essential Sludge. I know 5ive, Eyehategod, Corrupted, Acid Bath, Grief, and Crowbar but I'd like some others. Any suggestions? Oh yeah:

GRIEF "...AND MAN WILL BECOME THE HUNTED" 2x12" LP
[ THRONE 03 ] (Out now and shipping!!!)
First vinyl pressing ever!
After the successful vinyl release of Grief's "come to grief" last year (which sold out in a few months), Throne Records is releasing now the other Grief album left unissued on vinyl format to date.
"...And man will become the hunted" was the farewel album from this essential band in the Doom Metal genre, released originally on CD in 2000 by Pessimiser Records.
All the artwork comes from the original Eric's canvas and illustrations.
))))) Limited to 666 copies worldwide, one-time pressing
))))) 166 copies come pressed on semitransparent brown / grey splatter vinyl, hand-numbered, only available through Throne Records
))))) Gatefold sleeve, printed inside out over the rough side, with black inked paper bags
))))) Quality 180gr. heavy weight vinyl

http://www.thronerecords.net/MAIN.htm

I'm not really a vinyl person, but I know many are, so this may interest some. Cheers.
31.01.2010 - 02:36
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Actually, no I'm not, because I've never really checked them out. I always felt I should though. Do you perhaps recommend any album to check out first?
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
31.01.2010 - 05:23
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Lucas on 31.01.2010 at 02:36

Actually, no I'm not, because I've never really checked them out. I always felt I should though. Do you perhaps recommend any album to check out first?

I'd say check out Sewn Mouth Secrets. All of their material is of pretty high quality but I think that one's a good start. They were a bit more straightforward Sludge then, but I like everything I've heard.
----
The force will be with you, always.
04.04.2011 - 08:21
Guib
Thrash Talker
For some Sludge suggestions you could always check out my List

Personally I loved the last Kylesa release, great work
Also The Sword did a great job in their more Stoner/Doom Oriented release in 2010.

My personal fav would have to be Baroness for their originality.

@Spirit_Inblack: Well personally I believe they're sludgy enough to be considered so... I mean listen to both album
Sludgy examples:
-Swollen And Halo (Blue Record)
-War, Wisdom And Rhyme (Blue Record)
-The Gnashing (Blue Record)
-A Horse Called Golgotha (Blue Record)
-The Birthing (Red Album)
-Wanderlust (Red Album)
-Aleph (Red Album)
-Isak (Red Album)

Imo these are all good examples of being sludgy
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
15.04.2011 - 19:25
chimx

The only Kylesa album worth listening to is their debut album. Or, even better would be to just listen to their earlier work as Damad; a great southern crust and metal hybrid. Especially if you like sludge metal like Dystopia and Grief that has its roots more in crust than metal.

Other than the above, my favorites of sludge are probably Eagle Twin and a sprinkling of Weedeater. Some like to throw the band Old Man Gloom into the sludge mix for some reason, whom I love, but I never really thought they had enough of that southern metal sound to really count. But nowadays people like to call every post-metal Isis wannabe band a sludge group, so whatever.
15.04.2011 - 20:50
spirit_inblack
harshhead
I never saw that you replied to me till now (that post was over a year ago, haha). :p I don't really think any of those are very sludgy tbh, maybe it's just faster-paced sludge that I'm not quite used to? I thought I'd provide everyone with an awesome young bunch of Spanish sludge monkeys to indulge in. It's really good stuff, just don't expect any originality and you'll enjoy it.

16.04.2011 - 00:38
IronAngel

I mentioned them in the new album topic, but I'm still in love with Subrosa. They're not pure sludge, but close enough.

17.04.2011 - 19:58
chimx

SubRosa is awesome. Not enough metal bands embrace brass instruments.
23.04.2011 - 07:17
Balthazine

I'm digging the hell out of Subrosa... glad you posted them man.
----
Sometimes in metal they have called me:
The Minneapolis Metal Music Examiner -I write articles on metal in the MN area for Examiner.com
The Metal Detector -A history of digging up old forgotten metal bands
Thrash Master -Famous for my Walls O' Thrash
07.05.2011 - 09:26
Night Sight

I recommend kylesa to all metal fans
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
10.05.2011 - 01:38
IronAngel

New Indian is very nice. I like their raw and aggressive take on sludge, and the production isn't overdone with bassy fuzz which is a nice change.
10.05.2011 - 02:59
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by IronAngel on 10.05.2011 at 01:38

New Indian is very nice. I like their raw and aggressive take on sludge, and the production isn't overdone with bassy fuzz which is a nice change.

i pimped this release in the 2011 recommendations thread in the general metal forum. it is good stuff.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
10.05.2011 - 10:13
IronAngel

Oh yeah, I knew I'd seen it somewhere before. First heard it there, but then I forgot about it until I came across the whole album. I guess I have you to thank, since I might not have noticed the album at all if it didn't sound familiar.
10.05.2011 - 12:07
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
New Indian is very boring to me. The latest Bongripper is probably the newest sludgy stuff that I like.
10.05.2011 - 12:45
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
This is definitely a tough genre to identify. I mean there are so many influences to this genre already that its tough to classify a band as sludge i think. Just like how many of you say the baroness are not sludge. But I think otherwise, i see quite a few of their songs being sludge influenced.
Anyway sludge bands that i do enjoy
The ocean, struck by lightning, bison BC, baroness, intronaut, kylesa, early mastodon, crowbar, boris, torche, floor, 16, black math horseman, russian circles.
I know many of you will say this band is not sludge, but all of them i feel have something in their music that makes them a part of this genre.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
11.05.2011 - 09:59
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Spirit Molecule on 10.05.2011 at 12:45

This is definitely a tough genre to identify. I mean there are so many influences to this genre already that its tough to classify a band as sludge i think. Just like how many of you say the baroness are not sludge. But I think otherwise, i see quite a few of their songs being sludge influenced.
The ocean, struck by lightning, bison BC, baroness, intronaut, kylesa, early mastodon, crowbar, boris, torche, floor, 16, black math horseman, russian circles.
I know many of you will say this band is not sludge, but all of them i feel have something in their music that makes them a part of this genre.

Yeah man sludge goes from Soft to fucking harsh as fuck... from progressive to the simplest riffs. I must agree with you that it is really hard to classify and identify, I got the same opinion on baroness, to me its sludge and at its best. Maybe not a majority of sludge bands are like them but its definitely one of my favorite along with Kylesa.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
11.05.2011 - 17:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I'll jump in the wagon and say the same thing: It's kind of hard to identify indeed.

But I always get the "-core" vibe in sludge so I usually just go for that rule of thumb.
Just my two cents here: Acid Bath is sludge at its friggin best. That is all.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
12.05.2011 - 07:54
(((O)))

Horse Latitudes, a very odd sludge/doom band with two bass players and a singing drummer.
12.05.2011 - 09:37
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Guib on 11.05.2011 at 09:59

Written by Spirit Molecule on 10.05.2011 at 12:45

Yeah man sludge goes from Soft to fucking harsh as fuck... from progressive to the simplest riffs. I must agree with you that it is really hard to classify and identify, I got the same opinion on baroness, to me its sludge and at its best. Maybe not a majority of sludge bands are like them but its definitely one of my favorite along with Kylesa.

Yep, which is probably why i like the genre so much coz of the wide variety.
----

Last fm
Don't click here
29.09.2011 - 18:50
Susan
Smeghead
Thanks for some of the recs in this thread. Awesome.

Now I'll return the favor Check out Alaskan. Listen at their bandcamp page then buy their new album Adversity; Woe. It's one of my favourites so far this year; the underlying rhythms and subtle melodies I find perfectly haunting and compelling.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
12.01.2012 - 11:25
The Turbanator

Kongh is probably one the best in this genre. Absolutely love that album.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
12.01.2012 - 12:05
The Turbanator

Written by spirit_inblack on 15.04.2011 at 20:50

I never saw that you replied to me till now (that post was over a year ago, haha). :p I don't really think any of those are very sludgy tbh, maybe it's just faster-paced sludge that I'm not quite used to? I thought I'd provide everyone with an awesome young bunch of Spanish sludge monkeys to indulge in. It's really good stuff, just don't expect any originality and you'll enjoy it.

This is amazing. Thank you!
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
12.01.2012 - 14:01
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by The Turbanator on 12.01.2012 at 11:25

These guys are good, but they sounded way better live than on record. But YOB just blew the whole thing away. I can't believe I actually saw YOB live, I would have never imagined it.

Also some cool finds from last year
Hull - Beyond the lightless sky

Beastwars-s/t

The Atlas Moth-An ache for the distance
----

Last fm
Don't click here
12.01.2012 - 14:30
The Turbanator

Written by Spirit Molecule on 12.01.2012 at 14:01

These guys are good, but they sounded way better live than on record. But YOB just blew the whole thing away. I can't believe I actually saw YOB live, I would have never imagined it.

Also some cool finds from last year
Hull - Beyond the lightless sky

Beastwars-s/t

The Atlas Moth-An ache for the distance

Heard of Atlas Moth and Hull. First time hearing Beastwars. So good! Thanks man. Yeah, YOB is brilliant as well.
----
28.01.2012 - 22:53
JD
Account deleted

Nice stuff indeed, thanks for sharing!

Anyway...

Can't stop listening to their debut.
14.04.2012 - 22:21
The Turbanator

Ahab studio teaser for new album!

----
15.04.2012 - 00:46
The Turbanator

Progressive sludge.

http://treeofsores.bandcamp.com/
----
17.04.2012 - 15:08
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by The Turbanator on 14.04.2012 at 22:21

Ahab studio teaser for new album!

Ahab is sludge now?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
17.04.2012 - 16:03
Druss

^News to me.

Also, seen as it hasn't been posted here yet, sludge/doom from Lurk:
17.04.2012 - 16:28
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 17.04.2012 at 15:08
Ahab is sludge now?

Are they? Monolithe kind of changed their style but not something that drastic. Going from funeral doom to sludge is a major change in direction.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.04.2012 - 18:42
The Turbanator

Sorry guys.. I always get confused this forum with another one that post all sludge/doom/stoner in a page.
----