Metal Storm logo
Gaahl - In The Middle Of Black Metal Musical Controversy

Gaahl strikes again. The ex-Gorgoroth vocalist finds himself in the middle of another controversy, surrounding his appearance in a musical after restating his support for church burnings.

It all starts when Kristian "Gaahl" Espedal gets casted in a musical based on the concept album Svartediket, which was inspired by myths and legends of the lake Svartediket, located outside of Bergen, Norway. The "first-ever black metal musical" is scheduled to premiere on May 26 at Festspillene I Bergen (Bergen International Festival), an annual international music and cultural festival. The event will be held at Bergen's Den Nationale Scene, one of Norway's oldest and most renowned theaters which was founded to develop Norwegian playwrights. But now, the artistic director - Bjarte Hjelmeland - of the renowned Norwegian Den Nationale Scene theater, is reconsidering his decision to cast the former black metal vocalist for the upcoming "Svartediket" production.

Gaahl's casting has caused controversy in Norway, particularly as both Festspillene and Den Nationale Scene are heavily funded by the Norwegian state. Halvor Nordhaug, the Lutheran bishop in the diocese of Bjørgvin, seated in Bergen and covering parts of Western Norway, is especially concerned about Gaahl's previously published statements to the media in which he appeared to condone and support church burnings.

After Gaahl's involvement with the "Svartediket" musical was made official this week, the former Gorgoroth frontman once again reiterated that he views church burning as "acceptable".

"I have left my past behind, but I still have an anti-Christian attitude," Gaahl told the Bergens Tidende newspaper. "Christianity has no place in this country. As long as the church has the power it has and supports oppression, we shouldn't give the church any sympathy. Therefore I don't think it's wrong if it [church burning] happens again. The symbolic value of burning down churches is important."

Responding to Gaahl's remarks, Bishop Halvor Nordhaug told the Bergens Tidende newspaper, "Gaahl displays some scary attitudes by defending church burnings. He says nothing about the fact that human lives were lost during one of the church burnings in the 1990s. I think everybody, no matter what their religious beliefs are, agrees with me that his attitudes are scary, but it could still be possible that his role at Den Nationale Scene will provide him with some kind of legitimacy, which is unfortunate."

Artistic director Bjarte Hjelmeland - who is now under pressure from both the clergy and the organization of Festspillene i Bergen - says he will travel to Oslo to have "a long talk" with Gaahl about his statements to the media before making a decision on whether to allow the singer to stay involved with the musical.

"It is important, both for me personally and on behalf of Den Nationale Scene, to completely distance ourselves from the attitudes Gaahl has expressed in the Bergens Tidende interview," Hjelmeland says. "My beliefs are diametrically opposed to his. I pretty much grew up in church and consider myself a Christian. But I do not automatically dismiss people whose views I do not agree with.

I was not familiar with Kristian's past when I hired him to do "Svartediket". And I could not possibly have known that he would come out and publicly support these serious crimes. But the matter is not simple. We find ourselves in an ethical gray zone. It is difficult to invoke freedom of speech to defend Gaahl if his statements to Bergens Tidende can be interpreted as an incitement to criminal acts."

Source: roadrunnerrecords.com
Band profile: Gorgoroth
Posted: 16.01.2010 by Thryce

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 48   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 443 users
16.01.2010 - 21:27
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
elite
October 15, 2010: Gaahl reportedly trapped in UFO-like balloon, authorities find no one at scene of landing. Later reports state that he was found hiding in his Espedal home's attic. When asked why he did it Kristian explained, "Um, we did this for the attention"...
16.01.2010 - 23:14
DoomGuard
Written by Dane Train on 16.01.2010 at 20:46

Here is a better picture. Thanks goes to Thryce for finding the dance troop.

hahaha, I could see that happening.
16.01.2010 - 23:24
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
I fucking love Gaahl.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
17.01.2010 - 00:10
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
I don't agree with burning churches as it does seem rather extreme to me, but I don't see what so wrong about him saying he supports it. If he's a good singer, let him sing.
17.01.2010 - 00:56
corrupt
With a lowercase c
admin
I'm wondering sometimes if he's aware that his first name is Kristian.
----
17.01.2010 - 01:30
Warman
Erotic Stains
This could turn out interesting.
----
17.01.2010 - 01:35
anarchist_36
Written by Uirapuru on 16.01.2010 at 16:28

Written by Guest on 16.01.2010 at 16:25

Written by Uirapuru on 16.01.2010 at 16:23

Written by Guest on 16.01.2010 at 15:52

Written by Uirapuru on 16.01.2010 at 15:00

Yeah. Gaahl said that the church is bad. Now he can't play in a theater

no he doesnt say its bad! a lot of ppl says its bad. he said I support church burnings and he said that he is keep his words about it again.

Ok.. but he never actually did anything.. so he's just a crazy pussy. Not much to worry about.

how do u know he didnt! maybe he did some

Impossible. He's a vegetarian, they all have peaceful nature

He may have assaulted some churches, since that's the most badass thing he ever did.

Just a crazy pussy? I dunno about that i doubt you've heard about the time that he was attacked by that dude who he then took back to his house and tortured him for several hours. As far as the church burning goes I dont really think hes doing it for attention he doesnt seem like the kind of guy who looks for publicity like that and he's just stating his beliefs after being asked again by the nosy media
17.01.2010 - 01:35
anarchist_36
Written by Uirapuru on 16.01.2010 at 16:28

Written by Guest on 16.01.2010 at 16:25

Written by Uirapuru on 16.01.2010 at 16:23

Written by Guest on 16.01.2010 at 15:52

Written by Uirapuru on 16.01.2010 at 15:00

Yeah. Gaahl said that the church is bad. Now he can't play in a theater

no he doesnt say its bad! a lot of ppl says its bad. he said I support church burnings and he said that he is keep his words about it again.

Ok.. but he never actually did anything.. so he's just a crazy pussy. Not much to worry about.

how do u know he didnt! maybe he did some

Impossible. He's a vegetarian, they all have peaceful nature

He may have assaulted some churches, since that's the most badass thing he ever did.

Just a crazy pussy? I dunno about that i doubt you've heard about the time that he was attacked by that dude who he then took back to his house and tortured him for several hours. As far as the church burning goes I dont really think hes doing it for attention he doesnt seem like the kind of guy who looks for publicity like that and he's just stating his beliefs after being asked again by the nosy media
17.01.2010 - 01:56
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by anarchist_36 on 17.01.2010 at 01:35

Didnt know about that... torture is pretty coward thou... a one hand knife fight would be better.

I guess the final conclusion is: everyone in this story is stupid, and probably nothing will actually happen.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
17.01.2010 - 02:06
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
The first ever black metal musical? Well I'm sure that it would be...
17.01.2010 - 03:47
Murder
Written by Guest on 16.01.2010 at 15:50

Whatever Ghaal...

+1
17.01.2010 - 12:24
corrupt
With a lowercase c
admin
Written by anarchist_36 on 17.01.2010 at 01:35
...I dont really think hes doing it for attention he doesnt seem like the kind of guy who looks for publicity like that ...

Who said who to what now? He seems exactly like they kind of guy who looks for publicity of any kind. Especially when it involves statements of the most asocial kind or things that are just plain rdiculous. The world will be reigned and governed by black metal bands anyone?
----
17.01.2010 - 12:36
Inshushinak
Burning churches? why? I guess me or him take a wrong point of Metal ,i thought Metal is come for build a new life in ordinary life of the people and giving the people freedom in their beliefs ,so whatever this beliefs could be even satanist , Christian , Muslim or jews or atheist.people are free and we should respect their freedom imagine that if Christians attack a black metal concert and kickin your ass how do you feel then Mr.GAAHL? or i think its not so important to you cause as i know you ,you only thinkin about get some attention of the media you dont give a shit about the music ,METAL IS COME FOR BUILD A NEW WORLD AND PREVENT THE KILLING OF PEOPLE NOT FOR DESTROYING AND KILLING PEOPLE.dude you get the point ,WROOOONG.
17.01.2010 - 18:46
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
I liked his words when he said that he dont even care about Anton Lavey and has his own thoughts. Gaahlism hehe. Nietzsche has wrote Anti Christ and I think a lot of ppl were talking the same about him in those days: "he wants to be famous in media or something", hehe but I dont compare this little kid with Nietzsche dont get me wrong.
18.01.2010 - 20:11
pazuzuovbabel
Pazuzu
I used to like him, he was like an Icon back in Gorgoroth years, but he just fuck the things up day after day ,, as some said above, he just a pussy ,,,
19.01.2010 - 07:45
BMR Monkey
Keep singing gaalh but stop saying stupid things, keep it for yourself, like your sexual preferences
19.01.2010 - 14:13
JotunSmeden
Some people don't know when to resign.... oh poor Gaahl. or to quote behemoth "No Sympathy For Fools"
04.08.2010 - 17:48
dodstink
Go to Yankees and attend Broadway leprous.

Hits total: 9941 | This month: 8