Metal Storm logo
Brutal Death Metal

Original post

Posted by Bas, 17.05.2006 - 15:35
since a short while i have found a liking for brutal deathmetal, preferably with very fast drumming,
till now i have heard: Deicide, Kataklysm, Nile, Krisiun, Cryptopsy and Mithras, and i like all of them alot,

what else can you recommend me from this genre?
11.03.2011 - 17:01
Isisscript

Suggesting "Ravenwoods "
11.03.2011 - 20:38
JD
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 01.03.2011 at 02:05

I'd say Nile are more tech-death than brutal death.

Me would say Nile are 50% tech and 50% brutal death which means Death Metal.
11.03.2011 - 21:13
Baz Anderson

I don't really think of Nile as either "brutal" or "technical"...
11.03.2011 - 21:19
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Their last album was neither but, say, 'Annihilation...' for me was about 50/50.
11.03.2011 - 21:38
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I don't think of them as "brutal", really, when compared to the likes of Guttural Secrete, Suffocation, Inveracity, Pyaemia, Disavowed, etc. but Karl Sanders is a major force behind their technicality. I'd consider the band as a whole, 80/20 (tech death to brutal death), but with Annihilation - as Joe pointed out - it was much closer to 50/50.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.03.2011 - 21:41
Doom Trooper

Defeated Sanity's newest album Chapters of Repugnance is the most brutal album Ive heard in a long time. Id say they are next in line for Suffocation's crown and throne. Hour Of Penance's newest album Paradogma is fucking awesome too. These were my 2 favorite albums from 2010.

For a more old school vibe I would recommend you check out Brutality's Screams of Anguish album. Its sort of a hidden gem. Not everyone I come across has heard of them.
12.03.2011 - 18:01
Malphas

I voted for Defeated Sanity's Chapters of Repugnance in the 2010 awards cuz it was crystal clear that Immolation would win so i didn't want Defeated Sanity to be last it is indeed a great album, very very talented band with one of the best bassists there is and their drummer....oh my god that kid plays blast beats that let other drummers look like one handed and one footed cripples (no offense) but the down side of it is that there are way too many breakdowns, their previous two albums are way better there. About the "brutal sound"...i love this album's sound but i honestly don't think about stuff like "the most brutal albums" i just enjoy the music xD

Brutality's whole discography is pure genius with Screams Of Anguish being their best album, cheers
----
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
12.03.2011 - 18:17
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=66069

Jason Keyser (Skinless) to join Origin, just in time for their North American tour.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.03.2011 - 06:47
Void_Eater
Account deleted
I'm to lazy to read through the whole thread, just check out Visceral Bleeding, Skinless, Fleshgod Apocalupse, Diminished, Beheaded, and Insision. I'll post links when I'm not feeling so lazy.

EDIT: Seconding Doom Trooper's recs. of Brutality and Defeated Sanity.

EDIT AGAIN: Oh, and fucking GORGASM! Can't forget them
20.03.2011 - 20:56
countkarnstein

Enmity - Illuminations of Vile Engorgement
----
KARNSTEIN RECORDS
www.KarnsteinRecords.com
21.03.2011 - 16:20
The Turbanator

Is Benighted 'brutal death' or 'grindcore'?

If they are, they just released their new album 'Asylum Cave' today. Anyone heard it yet? Their 'Icon' album was fucking explosive.

Sneak preview : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBI_35j_IpI
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
21.03.2011 - 16:51
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by The Turbanator on 21.03.2011 at 16:20

Is Benighted 'brutal death' or 'grindcore'?

Both really though I'd argue the new one is geared more toward technical-brutal death. There's only one or two clear grind tracks unlike say Identisick which is chock full of them.
21.03.2011 - 17:51
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Baz Anderson on 11.03.2011 at 21:13

how can nile not be technical? they are not technical in the way to play only for the meaning of the word but they are awesomely talented musicians and on almost every instrument they have excellent technique. at least for the guitars and the drums...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
21.03.2011 - 18:03
Baz Anderson

Written by Deadmeat on 21.03.2011 at 17:51

how can nile not be technical? they are not technical in the way to play only for the meaning of the word but they are awesomely talented musicians and on almost every instrument they have excellent technique. at least for the guitars and the drums...

Yes, of course they are. They are indeed a technically gifted band - but compare them to Necrophagist or Odious Mortem, etc.
21.03.2011 - 18:39
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Baz Anderson on 21.03.2011 at 18:03

Yes, of course they are. They are indeed a technically gifted band - but compare them to Necrophagist or Odious Mortem, etc.

yeah thats exactly what i said. they are not technical for the sake of being but it is a fact that they are. i am also sure that if they produced their songs as a technical DM band they'd sound very familiar to what necrophagist (example) do...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
21.03.2011 - 20:54
countkarnstein

Written by Baz Anderson on 21.03.2011 at 18:03

That doesn't mean they're not technical. They're still very technical and very brutal.
----
KARNSTEIN RECORDS
www.KarnsteinRecords.com
21.03.2011 - 23:55
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Nile are both technical and brutal "death metal", not "technical death metal" or "brutal death metal" by my ears.
----
22.03.2011 - 00:50
Baz Anderson

Exactly.
27.03.2011 - 03:44
Yasmine

Written by Guest on 11.03.2011 at 21:19

Their last album was neither but, say, 'Annihilation...' for me was about 50/50.

Well, I think THose who the gods.....was brutal, but it wasn't very techy save maybe 2 songs.

Ith and Annihilation were both, Ith was much more techy than Annihilation though most people disagree with that simply because they like Annihilation better.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
27.03.2011 - 04:26
0rpheus

Putrefied Beauty
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=3540303786
All female band from Italy.
Those chicks rock hard
Check 'em out...
http://www.myspace.com/putrefiedbeauty
----
I would prefer not to.
27.03.2011 - 04:31
Yasmine

Not my cup o tea there. And NO the pic WONT help you sell the band with me.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
27.03.2011 - 04:56
0rpheus

Written by Yasmine on 27.03.2011 at 04:31

It'd work with the guys but you can just listen to 'em.
----
I would prefer not to.
27.03.2011 - 04:58
Yasmine

Written by 0rpheus on 27.03.2011 at 04:56

Written by Yasmine on 27.03.2011 at 04:31

It'd work with the guys but you can just listen to 'em.

You're totally right on the first part......I admit it. lol
----
27.03.2011 - 13:48
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Yasmine on 27.03.2011 at 03:44

Ith and Annihilation were both, Ith was much more techy than Annihilation though most people disagree with that simply because they like Annihilation better.

I haven't listened to Ithyphallic very much so I can't be sure which is the more techy, but I do recall that Ithyphallic lost much of the "wall-of-sound" bassy approach present on Annihiliation (one of the reasons I'd wager people prefer Annihilation) so the instrumentation is far clearer on Ithy and thus perhaps giving the impression of heightened technicality over atmosphere? They sound roughly about the same to me anyway. Listening back I don't think either really qualify as a tech-death record, I think they just play pretty fucking frantically at times.
27.03.2011 - 15:23
Yasmine

Written by Guest on 27.03.2011 at 13:48

Written by Yasmine on 27.03.2011 at 03:44

I haven't listened to Ithyphallic very much so I can't be sure which is the more techy, but I do recall that Ithyphallic lost much of the "wall-of-sound" bassy approach present on Annihiliation (one of the reasons I'd wager people prefer Annihilation) so the instrumentation is far clearer on Ithy and thus perhaps giving the impression of heightened technicality over atmosphere? They sound roughly about the same to me anyway. Listening back I don't think either really qualify as a tech-death record, I think they just play pretty fucking frantically at times.

As a guitarist who can play this stuff I'd say no, Ith had several technical riffs as the heart of the songs Papyrus Containing the Spell to Preserve Its Possessor Against Attacks, every part of LAnguage of the shadows just about.

Where Annihilation had tons of double picked riffs no where near as difficult to play. I did personally perfer Ith to Annihilation, maybe for this reason.
----
21.04.2011 - 20:26
*MetalSlave*

Suggestions:
Cryptopsy (None So Vile, Blasphemy Made Flesh, Once was not)
Dying Fetus
Suffocation
Hate Eternal
Vomitory
Fleshgod Apocalypse
Benighted
Devourment
Disgorge
Defeated Sanity
Prostitute Disfigurement
Cerebral Bore
21.04.2011 - 20:32
JD
Account deleted
Written by *MetalSlave* on 21.04.2011 at 20:26

The other albums are amazing too
21.04.2011 - 20:36
@gent_-_orange

Written by Guest on 21.04.2011 at 20:32

Agreed... Whisper supremecy as well as And then you'll beg are a lot better than some people think.
21.04.2011 - 20:40
JD
Account deleted
Written by @gent_-_orange on 21.04.2011 at 20:36

Agreed... Whisper supremecy as well as And then you'll beg are a lot better than some people think.

When i said the other albums are awesome i meant The Unspoken King as well, i guess now you won't agree with me.
21.04.2011 - 20:42
@gent_-_orange

Written by Guest on 21.04.2011 at 20:40

Written by @gent_-_orange on 21.04.2011 at 20:36

When i said the other albums are awesome i meant The Unspoken King as well, i guess now you won't agree with me.

Believe it not I forgot about the Unspoken King and I agree it is a good album... not their best but no where near as bad as some people make it out to be.