Metal Storm logo
Best progressive-metal band poll

Original post

Posted by cold103, 20.01.2010 - 02:47
I left out Tool, Dream Theater, and Opeth because of the popularity of those bands. They would likely be in the lead because of their popularity.

If you vote for "other", specify which band.

My vote goes to Ayreon. I love most of Ayreon's work. The album "Into The Electric Castle" is a must-hear!

Poll

Which is your favorite?

other
Symphony X
Ayreon
Porcupine Tree
Orphaned Land
Arcturus
Riverside
Pain Of Salvation

Total votes: 78
19.02.2010 - 11:24
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Written by Dark Blood on 18.02.2010 at 18:49

Written by BloodTears on 18.02.2010 at 13:40

Written by Dark Blood on 18.02.2010 at 05:30

If we go with popularity and common knowledge.. of course Dream Theater's the father of Progressive metal. But since some of the bands in the poll have done really amazing works, I left DT and Opeth aside, and voted for Ayreon. I love Arjen's every work, and music nowadays needs more artists like him.

Also want to mention Evergrey, I'm a big fan of their early works. And Riverside did a damn GREAT job in their last album... I was really amazed with it.

Did you check out Riverside early albums? It's not JUST their last album that is good.

Oh, yes I have all of them, and I specially like the debut album, Out of Myself. I just mentioned the last one cause it seems fair considering the differences between this and all the others, and how they've grown in quality.
But yeah, its not just their last one that's good. All of them are good.

I agree that they are getting better and better
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
01.09.2011 - 23:19
Metal_4Ever
Definitely Dream Theater with no doubt.
21.09.2011 - 13:52
zero
NO DT!!! POS
21.09.2011 - 13:53
zero
Well arcturus is not really prog though...
21.09.2011 - 21:56
Hellish Star
OtherS... Too many to mention....
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
22.09.2011 - 02:29
Mattybu
Not really "metal" but they are on this website so I will say Rush. Love every note of every song they have written.
22.09.2011 - 05:03
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
Written by zero on 21.09.2011 at 13:53

Arcturus aren't really prog but they are the best on that list by a long shot imo. La Masquerade Infernale is the best avant garde album ever created. So happy that they are back together, would be nice if Rygg had come back but I do enjoy Simen too...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

22.09.2011 - 08:37
KameloticA
Symphony X and Riverside!
22.09.2011 - 15:01
zero
Written by psykometal on 22.09.2011 at 05:03

Written by zero on 21.09.2011 at 13:53

Arcturus aren't really prog but they are the best on that list by a long shot imo. La Masquerade Infernale is the best avant garde album ever created. So happy that they are back together, would be nice if Rygg had come back but I do enjoy Simen too...

i'm a big fan of prog and avant-garde... So i agree. But Arcturus can't be the number 1 in prog metal bands... Maybe they are number one in avant-garde (it would be really possible)
23.10.2012 - 16:23
ToMegaTherion
There are just so many good prog bands that its so hard to throw a vote in here... but can i ask why Opeth isnt in this list? ... or Rush... or Dream Theater...
Nothing against the bands that are in there, but the three iv just mentioned are probably more central to the prog scene than some of the bands in the list.
Other bands deserving of a mention Alcest, Ne Oblicasis (or however its spelt), Ihsahn (his solo work is very heavily prog based), Agalloch and many many more...
24.10.2012 - 15:21
helofloki
I picked Pain of Salvation because of their catalogue, they have been one of the most creative and talented bands out there. Their recent developments, well I'm not sure what to think about them.
27.10.2012 - 22:34
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I agree with helofloki, Pain of Salvation is an amazing band.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
02.11.2012 - 07:21
Guib
Thrash Talker
Vektor & Sacred Ally

great Prog-Thrash

Listen to ''Forests Of Legend'' by Vektor, and ''Kermit The Prog'' by Sacred Ally. Both awesome tunes.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
01.12.2012 - 16:20
megadeath13
Account deleted
The big 3 Progressive metal bands of mine are Opeth, Dream theater and Voivod. Yes I consider Voivod as prog metal. I love Queensryche and Fates Warning aswell.