Metal Storm logo
Saxon - Vocalist Launching A Campaign To Recognise Metal As A Religion

Saxon Vocalist Peter "Biff" Byford has teamed up with Metal Hammer Magazine for a campaign to call heavy metal fans in the UK to register their religion as 'heavy metal' in the 2011 census in the UK. In this case, heavy metal would be recognised as a religion in the UK along with other religions such as Christianity and Islam.

At the last census nine years ago, more than 400 thousand people in the UK stated 'Jedi', the fictional characters from the Star Wars series, as their religion thanks to a massive internet campaign. Jedi was ultimately ranked as the fourth most popular religion in the UK behind Christianity, Islam and Hinduism, although it is considered to be a joke, rather than a real reflection of the religious beliefs of people concerned. In 2011, it may be heavy metal's turn, the campaigners hope.

Metal Hammer editor Alexander Milas said "Ever since Black Sabbath made their debut 40 years ago heavy metal has grown to become one of the UK's most significant cultural institutions, and a global phenomenon. Hell, if the Jedi can do it, why can't metalheads? The force is strong in us."

Byford added: "Getting heavy metal recognised as a religion is a great bit of rebellion, isn't it? This really is going to be a very cool thing."

Source: gigwise.com
Band profile: Saxon
Posted: 20.01.2010 by Magatouve

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 59   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 250 users
20.01.2010 - 22:30
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
This kind of makes me sick.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
20.01.2010 - 22:31
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Juliana on 20.01.2010 at 17:12

Ironic, huh?

My thoughts exactly. :l

Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.01.2010 at 21:45

But it's true about people wanting to belong to a religion; it makes them feel unified, and strength can be found in numbers.

Yes, but wouldn't our "mass" be every time we go to a metal show? Anyone that would want to be accepted into the "metal" religion must not really understand metal enough to feel that connection with other metalheads at shows, out in public, and whatnot.
20.01.2010 - 22:34
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Guest on 20.01.2010 at 21:44

Holy shit, this is the funniest story I've read all year, and it's only January.

have some patience, Gaahl is yet to come out with his attention-whoring announcement yet.
20.01.2010 - 22:40
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by Valentin B on 20.01.2010 at 22:34

Written by Guest on 20.01.2010 at 21:44

Holy shit, this is the funniest story I've read all year, and it's only January.

have some patience, Gaahl is yet to come out with his attention-whoring announcement yet.

Oh... wait.
20.01.2010 - 23:11
warrior_of_ice

I wouldnt want "metal" to be dumped in the same shitpool as religion. If anything, I would want metal to have NOTHING TO DO with religion. Oh wait, just leave it alone and keep it the way it is.
20.01.2010 - 23:23
Slyfang

Oh my god..
20.01.2010 - 23:36
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
21.01.2010 - 00:06
sbgmetal

I was like "can he do that?"
21.01.2010 - 00:10
Lord_Regnier

Written by Inlé on 20.01.2010 at 15:32

The Metalhead "culture". How I dislike it.

And I share your dislike. You can hardly find someone who listened to metal music as long as me but at the same time hate and despise the metal community so much.

Concerning the article itself, fucking retarded I must say. There's hardly anything more ridiculous and stupid than this thought that metal is more than music.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
21.01.2010 - 00:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Lord_Regnier on 21.01.2010 at 00:10

And I share your dislike. You can hardly find someone who listened to metal music as long as me but at the same time hate and despise the metal community so much.

Oh yes you can... there's one quoting you now
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.01.2010 - 00:18
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.01.2010 at 00:12

Written by Lord_Regnier on 21.01.2010 at 00:10

Oh yes you can... there's one quoting you now

What's with all the self-hate? ;P
21.01.2010 - 00:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 21.01.2010 at 00:18

Self knowledge (and therefore self-hate) comes over the years
But I don't consider myself part of the so-called self-proclaimed metal community. That's why I hate big festivals, that so-called community sense and brainlessness.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.01.2010 - 00:30
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.01.2010 at 00:21

But I don't consider myself part of the so-called self-proclaimed metal community. That's why I hate big festivals, that so-called community sense and brainlessness.

Maybe it's just me, but I see anyone who posts their views, like and dislikes on this site AND supports the scene is as much of the metal community as the next guy. I'm mean, it's like any group of people; there is 1 down-to-earth intelligent chap for every 50 mindless douchers.
21.01.2010 - 01:39
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
I don't know if I should laugh or if I should cry, but since it's always better to laugh, well...
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
21.01.2010 - 02:32
João Pirucas
Mr. Piruson
POSER!
21.01.2010 - 03:40
Promonex
Cathemeral
This thread is so full of fail... -__-
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
21.01.2010 - 04:03
Symmachus

This sucks. Metal is not and never was a religion, nor will it ever be. It is a ridiculous idea. A terrible idea.
21.01.2010 - 04:17
tieka

Please let this stay a joke and no one take it seriously...:erm:
21.01.2010 - 06:27
Magatouve
Account deleted
Written by tieka on 21.01.2010 at 04:17

Please let this stay a joke and no one take it seriously...:erm:

Hell yeah... if anybody has taken Manowar seriously, then they should take this one as well!
21.01.2010 - 07:04
DoomGuard

Calm down you guys!

no need to take to the streets, it seems pretty funny to me
21.01.2010 - 07:53
thesabbathfan

Thats the absolute funniest shit ive ever heard
----
21.01.2010 - 14:00
Lord_Regnier

@Fat & Sassy: I would give you the same kind of answer, almost word for word, as Marcel did here.
I don't consider myself as part of the metal community. I would not even consider myself as a metalhead in the sense people usually conceive it, even if I listen almost exclusively to extreme metal.

Concerning this stupid idea (the topic of this thread), I think metal should emphasize individuality and independance. That's why I hate 'hail metal' songs and anything that tries to make metal a self-proclaimed community. It promotes a herd mentality.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
21.01.2010 - 16:48
treptolemus
aphotic_zoning
Bah, i like more the jedi stuff... they have lightsabers and laser guns, and spaceships and aliens, which is definitely more cool...
----
\m/etalstor\m/
21.01.2010 - 17:37
Holy Man
STEEL DEFENDER
We should do that in the US. I'd do it.
----
LIGHT THE FUSE ON THAT VAGINAMITE!!!
21.01.2010 - 17:43
Baz Anderson

Written by Promonex on 21.01.2010 at 03:40

This thread is so full of fail... -__-

Yes it is. Seriously. Times like these I wonder why I bother.
21.01.2010 - 18:37
Magatouve
Account deleted
Written by Lord_Regnier on 21.01.2010 at 14:00

@Fat & Sassy: I would give you the same kind of answer, almost word for word, as Marcel did here.
I don't consider myself as part of the metal community. I would not even consider myself as a metalhead in the sense people usually conceive it, even if I listen almost exclusively to extreme metal.

Concerning this stupid idea (the topic of this thread), I think metal should emphasize individuality and independance. That's why I hate 'hail metal' songs and anything that tries to make metal a self-proclaimed community. It promotes a herd mentality.

Well... without some sense of community metal would have never been as it is now. Metal is not just people making music, put it on CD's, sell them, people buy them, listen at home, and that's the end of the story. Underground metal scenes with all their practices, especially in the old days in the 80's, of tape trading, fan-zines, local gigs, etc indicate some kind of solidarity and community. The idea of a 'scene' itself refers to some sense of belonging to something. Of course, it is in no way a religion, despite the striking similarities that Fat and Sassy spoke of, but still this idea of an 'imagined' metal community helped a lot shape the music that you listen to. People may not feel belonging to this thing as some indicated here, but many others do feel and this is an influential factor of what metal is all about.
21.01.2010 - 20:04
hailandkill1986

I have often thought about this for years and i am glad that somone aside from manowar has taken subject up, though i am sure there are other bands that talk about worshipping metal but not as much as manowar.
21.01.2010 - 20:50
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Lord_Regnier on 21.01.2010 at 14:00

I would not even consider myself as a metalhead in the sense people usually conceive it...

Trust me. Neither do I. But the way *I* look at it, I'm part of the metal community whether I like it or not. Honestly, this isn't really much to argue about any further anyway. :l
22.01.2010 - 19:04
soadbyob
Account deleted
Http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/the-guardian-metalheads-will-not-be-able-to-unite-for-heavy-metal-as-a-religion-census-campaign/

i might actually get into it now that someones told me i cant

Hits total: 6863 | This month: 4