03. The Choice
04. The Secret
05. Heaven's War [Instrumental]
06. Surfing Time
07. Anthem Of.... [Instrumental]
08. Heroes
09. Remember You
10. Ancient Way

Skydancers is the first release of an Italian band with a strange name that wants to be like Stratovarius just a bit too much.

One of the defining points of the band's sound is the vocalist Lorenzo Ticci, who sings in a clear but heavily accented way. While more than capable of doing the rougher parts, he more often than not keeps to the higher vocal-regions. While he single-handedly ruins the ballad 'The Secret', he really shines on the other ballad, 'Remember You'. There's definitely a lot of room for improvement here though.

Another defining point is the keyboard, which is obviously the most important instrument for this record. Keyboarder Fabrizio Muratori has some skill, that's for sure. Skill alone doesn't guarantee quality though. There are moments when the keys are really good, 'Surfing Time' is probably the best example, but there are at least equally as much moments where they're more annoying than anything else.

Nhorizon plays a mix of power metal with symphonic elements, progressive elements and even rock; still the result is rather bland and genuinely unimpressive. The majority of the album simply sounds too weak in my opinion. Probably the main reason is that the guitar is either playing a solo or is hidden in the background. Solid riffwork however is hard to find. Again I'll have to say there's a lot of room for improvement. As a whole the band definitely has the skills to churn out a really solid power metal album, but Skydancers is forgettable from start to finish, despite the few good moments and more than decent instrumentals.

Here's a small riddle for you. What's a "power metal" band that lacks "power" and doesn't always feel very "metal" either?

Favourite Tracks: Remember You, Ancient Way

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 5
Originality: 5
Production: 5

Written by Bas | 20.01.2010

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 76 users
20.01.2010 - 18:48
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Clever bandname. :
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
20.01.2010 - 19:29
Thryce
Retired Staff
Being shot in the sun would be an improvement for these fellows.
Cannot believe I wasted my time checking this band out.

Surprisingly mild review too.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
20.01.2010 - 19:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I have hearda lot worse (Rhapsody and most other Italian bands spring to mind)
But of course I can do without it.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.01.2010 - 19:55
Rating: 5
Bas
Retired Staff
Written by Thryce on 20.01.2010 at 19:29

Surprisingly mild review too.

You're right actually. The review could have been a lot meaner, however listening the album didn't worsen my mood as albums that deserve a mean review do (Nebuleyes anyone?) and also I think the band could actually have potential. While suffering from some flaws the musicians aren't actually bad. If they focus on their songwriting they could release something really good, so I wanted to be a bit more constructive with my criticism
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness

Hits total: 4006 | This month: 5