Release date: November 2009

01. The Furthest Shore
02. To Wander The Void
03. Living Sepulchre
04. Vessel
05. Vast Oceans Lachrymose
06. Epilogue

Beautiful.

That was the first thing I thought after I gave this album the first spin. As soon as it begins, you're swept in epic and moody music for a bit more than forty minutes (forty minutes? No kidding, this is indeed a short doom album).

It all starts with "The Furthest Shore", a 15 minutes epic. Fast at times, slow and tragic at others, progressive maybe, it's a really varied and intense song. While it can be reminiscent of some heavy/power metal bands on some keyboards and vocals parts, it's just the mood that puts it miles away? The ship's captain is facing, sadly but resolutely, what is the last storm he'll ever get in.
Hum. I see you frowning in puzzlement. I wrote about something fast. Yes, quite a few riffs on this album are definitively up-tempo, especially on "Living Sepulchre". And While Heaven Wept are considered a doom band, right? 'But doom is slow!' you'll say. Well, generally yes, but doom is also about atmosphere. And (relatively) fast songs like "Living Sepulchre", or "To Wander The Void", clearly have this sad, gloomy, but exquisite, mood. They completely drip with it.

A word about the musicians, maybe? Rain Irving, the new vocalist - well, he's in the band since 2004, but it's the first album he records with WHW - was clearly the man for the job. His soaring, soulful and sad vocals are just short of awesome. Maybe, maybe, one could find some lack of power in them on the fast parts? But man! How beautiful they are!
Of course, there's no gripe to be had about all other musicians, who all play flawlessly, all weaving their parts in these songs to create this delightfully sad mood.

But, all the ravishing praise notwithstanding, I do have a gripe with this Vast Oceans Lachrymose. I mean, starting with such an intense and epic song ("The Furthest Shore") is bound to make all following songs sound a bit lackluster. Even if they are not... Well, the two closing instrumentals do lack a bit of intensity compared to the other tracks.

I'll just use one word to conclude: beautiful, indeed.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 21.01.2010 by Once your regular Hellfest reporter, now retired. I (strangely enough) listen to a lot of metal. And enjoy good beers, comics, novels and role-playing games.

Guest review by
Parasomnia
Rating:
The first time I heard While Heaven Wept, one word crossed my mind: Wow. The way this band manages to write doom metal in a major key blows my mind. This band is incredibly beautiful, yet manages to retain the metal element at the same time.

That said, I'll begin my review of Vast Oceans Lachrymose.

The album starts off with a bang. "The Furthest Shore" is an incredible epic of a song. It's got everything you need for a good metal epic: time signature changes, key changes, acoustic passages, and a monumental outro. Usually it would be a logical move to put a fifteen minute song nearer to the end of the album. What this album has on most other bands is all of the material is INCREDIBLE.

Read more ››
published 09.05.2011 | Comments (3)

Comments

Comments: 45   Visited by: 291 users
21.01.2010 - 14:14
annodomini

One of my 3 favorites of 2009. AMazing and beautiful.
----
the riddle wants to be...
21.01.2010 - 14:32
schwanderen

Second to Diablo Swing Orchestra - Sing along songs from the damned and the delirious. This is the the best album the metal world has processed in QUITE a while.
21.01.2010 - 15:13
Rating: 5
Elio
Red Nightmare
I tried it with many expectations, it didn't survive the hype.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
21.01.2010 - 15:20
Rating: 8
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Elio on 21.01.2010 at 15:13

How many times if I may ask? It needed about five spins before it clicked with me.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
21.01.2010 - 15:25
Rating: 5
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Lucas on 21.01.2010 at 15:20

Written by Elio on 21.01.2010 at 15:13

How many times if I may ask? It needed about five spins before it clicked with me.

Less than 5 tbh, but just the awesome opener was worthing hearing again IMO.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
21.01.2010 - 15:51
Rating: 9
MeloDeathViking

Great review! I agree with your point about the instrumentals. I personally feel they shouldn't have closed with two in a row. As of now it has my vote for best doom album of the year. I'll have to wait and see what the other contenders are though.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
21.01.2010 - 16:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by MeloDeathViking on 21.01.2010 at 15:51

Great review! I agree with your point about the instrumentals. I personally feel they shouldn't have closed with two in a row. As of now it has my vote for best doom album of the year. I'll have to wait and see what the other contenders are though.

There's only one instrumental on this album and that is closer Epilogue.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.01.2010 - 16:14
MeloDeathViking

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.01.2010 at 16:02

I may be wrong, but i'm pretty sure the title track is an instrumental as well. I'll have to listen to it again today.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
21.01.2010 - 16:40
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Awesome album....One of my favorites of 2009, but it does sort of make you go like "umm is that it?" by the end of the album because there really are only 4 songs on here. It felt a bit like a long EP.

The opening track is a monster, probably the song Ive been listening to most lately..but again just a pity about the last 2 songs only being instrumental, Im not a big fan of those and it seems like a wasted opportunity. They couldnt have easily replaced one of them with a proper song.
21.01.2010 - 18:52
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Great review, it mirrors my opinion on the album too And ya, that first track is the killer. When the acoustic guitar passage begins at the 9 minute mark, it knocks me down, and when the vocals come in I'm down for good ! This song is nearly my choice for favorite song of the year.

Just a note: while there is text for the title track in the booklet, it's a quotation, not lyrics, and does not appear in the title track in any spoken manner
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
21.01.2010 - 21:30
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Man I wanted to get into this album so badly. I heard rave reviews from Marcel and thought I'd check it out, but it just has a weird power metal feel to it and I can't get over that and into the doom aspect. It's unfortunate that my pseudo-hatred for one genre completely prevents me from liking an album.

The musicianship is outstanding and the atmosphere is of the overwhelming variety. I rated this a 4 a while ago and I think I'd bump it up to a 6.5 now, although I'd give it a 10 if I could rate it solely based on my personal level of appreciation for the beauty in their music.

Perhaps it's just the vocalist then? I'm not sure. 7 spins and still no miracle.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.01.2010 - 22:16
Burning Winter

Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.01.2010 at 21:30

I heard rave reviews from Marcel and thought I'd check it out, but it just has a weird power metal feel to it and I can't get over that and into the doom aspect. It's unfortunate that my pseudo-hatred for one genre completely prevents me from liking an album.

Well the power feel is why I can get into this album. I'm not usually listening to doom metal, but I don't know, I feel like this one is different from what I heard from other doom bands the little power thing you pointed out just do it for me . Great album for me.
----
We just have one life... SO LISTEN TO METAL!!!!
21.01.2010 - 22:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

Man I wanted to get into this album so badly. I heard rave reviews from Marcel and thought I'd check it out, but it just has a weird power metal feel to it and I can't get over that and into the doom aspect. It's unfortunate that my pseudo-hatred for one genre completely prevents me from liking an album.

You probably know that I hate power metal even more than you but that hasn't stopped me from loving this album. But then again this more US Power than Euro Flower. VoL is very reminiscent of early Fates Warning
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.01.2010 - 22:35
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.01.2010 at 22:20

You probably know that I hate power metal even more than you but that hasn't stopped me from loving this album. But then again this more US Power than Euro Flower. VoL is very reminiscent of early Fates Warning

it seems that we have same opinions over here Marcel. and have same opinions about 2 things! first about flower metal and secondly about this album. this album sounds like US power metal, Im 100% agree. I remember that some years ago even Manowar was in the list of Epic Doom metal in doom-metal.com.
21.01.2010 - 23:52
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.01.2010 at 16:02

" ... the two closing instrumentals do lack a bit of intensity compared to the other tracks." this is what the reviewer has said. and my downloaded version is the same. I mean last 2 songs are instrumentals. maybe fake version but it cant be cause "Vast Oceans Lachrymose" which Ive heard is like a instrumental song. Im really lost now!
22.01.2010 - 00:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
*Breaking news*

MARCEL ADMITS MISTAKE

The title track Vast Oceans Lachrymose is indeed an instrumental, mea culpa.

Got home just now and the vinyl version of Vast Oceans Lachrymose had arrived (the 1st limited pressing from the US on Maniacal Records) so I put side b on. And indeed the title track is an instrumental. I probably got it wrong tdue to, like Dismaleuphony said, there is text for the title track on the inlay (in the booklet for the cd)

Btw, the vinyl 12" version is just so much more awesome because the cover artwork really shines on there.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.01.2010 - 01:49
routa
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.01.2010 at 00:35

*Breaking news*

MARCEL ADMITS MISTAKE

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
22.01.2010 - 02:09
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by Guest on 22.01.2010 at 01:49

*Breaking news*

MARCEL ADMITS MISTAKE

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had the same thought hahaha
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
22.01.2010 - 02:30
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
@Marcel, NP its nothing. I really liked this album and 2 instrumental songs were very nice. I liked them so much.
22.01.2010 - 09:04
Rating: 6
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Its funny that I've been noticing alot of doom bands (well from what I've been hearing as of late anyways) start off with their epic 10+ minute songs. As for the album. Just a little too mellow for my taste I suppose. Personally I preferred Isole's new work to this.
22.01.2010 - 11:55
Rating: 10
Metal Maiden
Megadead
Took me just about 40 seconds in their myspace to fall in love...One of my favourite albums of the year, if not THE most favourite...Though, I must say, it is just as amazing as their previous works...And yes, the title song does have lyrics, but it is an instrumental...

P.S. Can somebody provide a high-res scan of the front cover, like that of Shrinebuilder...
22.01.2010 - 13:31
advent

The musicianship is outstanding and the atmosphere is of the overwhelming variety. I rated this a 4 a while ago and I think I'd bump it up to a 6.5 now, although I'd give it a 10 if I could rate it solely based on my personal level of appreciation for the beauty in their music.

Perhaps it's just the vocalist then? I'm not sure. 7 spins and still no miracle.

well that what i thought so.....the music is too rapid to be called a doom metal
22.01.2010 - 14:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by advent on 22.01.2010 at 13:31

well that what i thought so.....the music is too rapid to be called a doom metal

Doom metal can be very fast. Speed isn't the defining thing for doom.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.01.2010 - 17:26
Götter
I must say I first read you saying "got HORNY just now...". This really changed the entire meaning of what you wrote. I am still recovering.

Got home just now and the vinyl version of Vast Oceans Lachrymose had arrived (the 1st limited pressing from the US on Maniacal Records) so I put side b on. And indeed the title track is an instrumental. I probably got it wrong tdue to, like Dismaleuphony said, there is text for the title track on the inlay (in the booklet for the cd)

Btw, the vinyl 12" version is just so much more awesome because the cover artwork really shines on there.
22.01.2010 - 17:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Götter on 22.01.2010 at 17:26

I must say I first read you saying "got HORNY just now...". This really changed the entire meaning of what you wrote. I am still recovering.

Well, when I got home and opened the package I did get horny.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.01.2010 - 17:52
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Finally got round to listen to this album. Magnificent opening track indeed, but the finishing did feel weak in relative terms. Two instrumentals in a row isn't the most effective arrangement =/
----
loves 小巫
22.01.2010 - 19:00
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by advent on 22.01.2010 at 13:31

Doom metal can be fast as well, take a look at "Death Magic Doom" for example.
22.01.2010 - 19:28
advent

I understand that doom metal can be aggressive and fast some times but still can't shake the feeling that this is more like power metal and i don't like power metal btw
22.01.2010 - 22:06
Rating: 10
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
This album is awesome. So awesome.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
22.01.2010 - 22:49
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
It is beautiful indeed, great musicanship and the band really put their hearts on their music... But no, I don't like it. This is still too much power metal for my tastes.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.

Hits total: 8334 | This month: 21