Disc II [2006 re-release] [live DVD bonus]
01. Well Of Souls
02. Demons Gate
03. Crystal Ball
04. Solitude
05. Bewitched
06. A Sorcerer's Pledge
07. Black Sabbath Medley

The classic Epicus Doomicus Metallicus was the first doom metal album ever and set the standard that many bands have tried to cover for years while Candlemass still produced quality doom metal. And this is the only album where Johan Lanquist is the lead singer.

This masterpiece opens up with the suicidal 'Solitude'. One of the most depressing songs in metal history. The melody is beautiful and the atmospheric guitar riffs are just divine while the lyrics take to you a another world: the world of Candlemass or to your own black universe filled with fear and anger. The second song 'Demon's Gate' is the same material but a bit slower song. Technicly speaking the whole album is slow and full of melodies. 'Crystal Ball' follows exactly the same while having a slow melodic rhythm. The follow-up 'Black Stone Wielder' is a bit ?happier? song on this dark album. When you close you're eyes then you might notice a slight similarity with some classic masterminds like Wagner.

'Under the Oak' is the song for you if you like a medieval touch in your music. 'A Sorceror's Pledge' is the most epic sounding song on the album and it's also my favourite right next to 'Solitude'. This paricular song is divided into different sections. The song's first part is a slower and ?cleaner? one when you can actually feel the tension creeping up your ass. After this short part the song kicks off with a monsturous riff and a powerful bass line. The end of the song is very slow and has nice melodies and this is the part when you can sit back and relax while thinking back on the dark medieval times. Just close your eyes and imagine that you're a king in the dark world.

To conclude I would say that this is the album that every metal maniac MUST have in his cd collection. It's almost perfect, not getting 10/10 only because of the slightly poor sound production.

Written by marco | 10.09.2003

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 23   Visited by: 253 users
02.08.2006 - 00:12
Rating: 9
Lucas
Mr. Noise
My two favorite songs from this album are 'Solitude' and 'A Sorcerer's Pledge', but it is in one word amazing overall!
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
01.09.2006 - 12:37
Rating: 10
ylside

One of the best albums of all times...
01.09.2006 - 17:46
Valar
IndianSteel
Epic(Epicus) Doom (Doomicus) Metal (Metallicus)....!
This Album is a Must For Any One Into Doom Metal!!
----
"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien, "Three Is Company," The Lord of the Rings
02.09.2006 - 06:32
Streetcleaner
Account deleted
Essencial album for fans of MUSIC, in general...
05.05.2007 - 17:16
Sunioj

Written by ylside on 01.09.2006 at 12:37

One of the best albums of all times...

I agree, I came across this album by chance because I never heard Doom metal before....but its one of my favorite CDs now!
24.05.2007 - 23:08
Warman
Erotic Stains
Johan performed live with the band a couple of weeks ago here in Stockholm, must've been awesome!
----
25.05.2007 - 00:39
Sunioj

Goddamnit, I think just last year there was a Candlemass show in Israel...now I realized I missed out, AGGHH!!
26.05.2007 - 01:47
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Just like Nervel, I didn't think much about this album at first. I had to give it a couple listens before it grew on me. Crystal Ball might be my favorite song on this album.
20.07.2008 - 17:15
ArisIgnusDeuce

This album is just perfect!The definition of doom metal and the proof that FAST is not always heavier than SLOW.A sorcerer's pledge is my favourite doom song.Amazing.:banger:
24.07.2008 - 15:43
Doomicus
Account deleted
Absolutely Brilliant album. Have used 'Doomicus' as my online/gaming alias for years now. I have Epicus Doomicus Metallicus on Vinyl, somehow a friend's grandmother had it and I pounced... (4 years ago) Anyways, I absolutely loved Johan's vocals, as I do also love Messiah's... too bad Messiah's an asshole.
27.11.2008 - 16:53
Rating: 8
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
The mother of all doom albums! great album with a real dark feel to it
10.08.2009 - 12:29
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I love how this album still has that 80s metal sound to it, despite being so heavy and epic. it's like they're using Motley Crue's gear to play doom metal.
29.08.2009 - 11:25
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Warman on 24.05.2007 at 23:08

Johan performed live with the band a couple of weeks ago here in Stockholm, must've been awesome!

ahem, what the fuck were you doing at that time? imo that is the best Candlemass experience, Marcolin is good, Lowe is good, but Langquist is HOLY SHIT-awesome.
29.08.2009 - 12:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Valentin B on 29.08.2009 at 11:25

ahem, what the fuck were you doing at that time? imo that is the best Candlemass experience, Marcolin is good, Lowe is good, but Langquist is HOLY SHIT-awesome.

Totally agreed.
Hopefully I will be able to score a ticket to Roadburn 2010 because there they give a 2 hour gig and play EDM in its entirety featuring Johan on vocals.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.08.2009 - 12:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Valentin B on 29.08.2009 at 11:25

The performance Warmen refers to has been released on DVD as The 20th Anniversary Show.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.08.2009 - 20:26
Warman
Erotic Stains
I actually had no idea about Johan being there when the tickets were released. I am in fact not THAT into Candlemass.
----
30.08.2009 - 01:35
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Man i could not miss that shit, i actually considered going to Keep It True 2010 just for this(but heh, in accordance with the festival's name they sold the tickets to the same people who went there last year : ) i can only imagine when i'd have heard Langquist in Demon's Gate going "......the choirs of damnation.... CAAAALLING FOR YOU!!!" instant orgasm
18.01.2010 - 16:58
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Took me more time than I thought, but Im finally totally into this album Go doom! o/
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
25.11.2012 - 13:50
@gent_-_orange

Solitude is the worst song on here and I think that speaks volumes about the quality of the material on this album. Definitely Candlemass' best album.
17.02.2017 - 00:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Quote:
The classic Epicus Doomicus Metallicus was the first doom metal album ever

wasn't there Black Sabbath, St. Vitus, Count Raven, Pagan Altar, Witchfinder General albums before
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.02.2017 - 21:37
Dave FC

^Goddamn Right! But a whole album? I don't know...
17.02.2017 - 21:42
Dave FC

Now that I think... St Vitus, yeah! And Pentagram!!!
20.06.2017 - 15:47
Frosst

I think the reviewer is very incorrect. This is not the first Doom metal album. Black Sabbath's self titled debut from 1970 is the first Doom metal album of all time.
----
Favourite bands:
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls064836793/

Favourite artists:
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls064836309/

Hits total: 12371 | This month: 9