Engineered by Flemming Rasmussen
Recorded, Sept.-Dec. 1985 at Sweet Silence Studios, Copenhagen, Denmark
Mixed by Michael Wagener at Amigo Studios, North Hollywood, CA
Assistant mixing engineer: Mark Wilzcak
Mastered by George Marino at Sterling Sound

All lyrics by Hetfield. All arrangements by Hetfield/Ulrich
Cover concept: Metallica and Peter Mensch
Cover illustration: Don Brautigam
Back cover photos: Cliff - Rich Likong / Kirk - Ross Halfin / Lars - Rob Ellis / James - Ross Halfin

Guest review by
Iced Iñigo
Rating:
A classic between classics and the top of Metallica like a band. The album that made history, the cd of the cds, the best album of the best band. The album that any person who wants to know what is that world called Metal music needs to have, and listen to.

From the intro of "Battery" to the last guitar riff of "Damage Inc." the cd is just perfect, incredible and all the adjectives you want. In this album Metallica composed the song of songs: "Master of Puppets", astonishing. 8 minutes 38 seconds of pure Metal. The virtuosity on composing of Metallica appears clearly in that song. In Master of Puppets some songs are really dark and paranoid like "The Thing that should not Be". A ballad is also included, which is called "Welcome Home " and Metallica still includes in this album an instrumental track: "Orion"

Read more ››
published 22.09.2003 | Comments (125)

Guest review by
Motoroverkill
Rating:
Master of Puppets is a master class in structuring an album, The tracks and the way they're ordered is near perfection. A landmark album. Master Of Puppets is a timeless classic, A hybrid, Which features the best characteristics of many different kinds of metal. Many people consider it one of the greatest albums of all time and for good reason.

Read more ››
published 25.01.2010 | Comments (23)

Guest review by
Cal Wolvington
Rating:
I know I am in the minority here, but I don't care. Coffee is not as bad for you as everyone says it is, ten million Coldplay fans are wrong and Master Of Puppets is not Metallica's best album. This album is considered to be a classic and it is a great effort, but it is no Ride The Lightning. Master Of Puppets may have become more popular than Metallica's first two albums and it may be every critic's darling but that alone does not make it a better album or the greatest thrash record of all time. What matters is the music itself and therein lies my problem with considering this album a mind blowing masterpiece, which it is not.

Read more ››
published 06.06.2012 | Comments (67)

Found in 239 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 187   Visited by: 3986 users
22.01.2010 - 18:09
bakerskater180

----

[image]
22.01.2010 - 22:50
Rating: 9
Angelic Storm
Melodious
'Ride The Lightning' is my fave Metallica album. I think 'Puppets' is a little overrated, but definitely a great album! People who slam it now are only doing so because of how popular Metallica became, which is just sad really.
23.01.2010 - 15:40
Abattoir

It's definitely a great album, but I still prefer ''Ride The Lightning'' and ''Kill'em All'' albums over this one.
23.01.2010 - 16:44
Reza
Account deleted
IMO all Metallica 80's albums are great. Also "Black Album" (Metallica 1991) is one of my favorite albums of all times. That was the apex for Metallica !
31.01.2010 - 02:27
Rating: 8
treptolemus
aphotic_zoning
Master of puppets i'm pulling your strings
twisting your mind and smashing your dreams
Blinded by me, you can't see a thing
Just call my name, 'cause I'll hear you scream

MASTER
MASTER!
----
\m/etalstor\m/
07.03.2010 - 22:20
Rating: 10
Sangre Sani

Holy Bible of Metal.
10.03.2010 - 14:39
cescjoon

14.03.2010 - 11:06
DP_Megachiva
Account deleted
This is a fuckin' classic
20.03.2010 - 11:38
Pauleto
Account deleted
Best album that the when Metallica issued. Unfeigned jewel Thrash Metal!!!
28.03.2010 - 05:40
JohnWayneGacy666

Pain monopoly ritual misery life fuked up becoming clearer i will occupy i will help you die dedicated too now im killing you Metallica at their best Master of puppets not the best album ever, but one of the most influential in metal
28.03.2010 - 09:48
Skøllgrim
Northern
Worthy of praise and admiration, a really potent album.
14.04.2010 - 20:39
soadbyob
Account deleted
Best thing Metallica ever made, MASTER..MASTER!
18.04.2010 - 07:44
Jay-WalKeR

Tell all together: Master ... Master
22.07.2010 - 07:17
Disposable Hero

Thash Metallica classic Hail FUCKEN METALLICA:banger:
22.07.2010 - 12:45
vezzy
Stallmanite
I'm actually starting to wonder... did this album really kill heavy metal?
Nah, must be my mind starting to delude itself after reading the infamous UltraBoris review of this.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
22.07.2010 - 13:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by vezzy on 22.07.2010 at 12:45

Nah, must be my mind starting to delude itself after reading the infamous UltraBoris review of this.

That was actually the single most laughable and pititful so-called review I have read on MA. Okat MoP isn't as good as Ride The Lightning but to say it killed heavy metal
Reading his review it is aparent the guyss knows shit all aboutmetak and thrash in particular. He is a huge musical revisionist.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.07.2010 - 14:01
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.07.2010 at 13:26

That was actually the single most laughable and pititful so-called review I have read on MA. Okat MoP isn't as good as Ride The Lightning but to say it killed heavy metal
Reading his review it is aparent the guyss knows shit all aboutmetak and thrash in particular. He is a huge musical revisionist.

That isn't revisionism, it's stupidity, but it gets in your head and starts to tinker with it if you're newer to the genre.
----
22.07.2010 - 14:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by vezzy on 22.07.2010 at 14:01

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.07.2010 at 13:26

That isn't revisionism, it's stupidity, but it gets in your head and starts to tinker with it if you're newer to the genre.

Acutally it is revisinism cause UltraBoris has a tendency to rewrite history to suit his own tastes/opinions in the meantime ignoring quite a few facts.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.07.2010 - 14:51
DayFly

The guy is actually quite funny, if you don't take him seriously. But the lack of quality control over there really makes MA unsuitable for recommendations. In any case, no single review will ever change the general perception of any album.
22.07.2010 - 15:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by DayFly on 22.07.2010 at 14:51

The guy is actually quite funny, if you don't take him seriously. But the lack of quality control over there really makes MA unsuitable for recommendations. In any case, no single review will ever change the general perception of any album.

I don't take him seriously. But a lot of people do and he also takes himself seriously.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.07.2010 - 15:17
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.07.2010 at 15:13

I don't take him seriously. But a lot of people do and he also takes himself seriously.

Actually, when you type in "UltraBoris" in Google you'll see a fair lot of people mocking him. I don't think anyone takes him seriously, except if your mind enters an anti-mainstream, anti-Metallica delusion like mine did for half an hour or so.
----
22.07.2010 - 15:18
DayFly

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.07.2010 at 15:13

And they hardly matter now, do they?
23.07.2010 - 08:23
Javier_000

A Metallica's very good album. Some _major_ influence by several other metalheads around. Also i guess several other non-metal bands have taken this album as a "concept" of what metal 'was' (or was suposed to be for some people).

Battery!
----
i freaks my draulics phuckin' hoes in college... beetches swinging on my nuts is so stylish...
28.07.2010 - 05:25
Damage inc.

This is a master piece
28.07.2010 - 05:35
Damage inc.

lmao this idiot knows nothing about metal if he really thought mop killed metal
28.07.2010 - 06:28
Angelic Storm
Melodious

Ahhh...I remember that review! Though I could hardly forget it. lol

Ive seen a lot of bad reviews in my time, but that one is definitely the worst Ive ever seen. The whole thing about the album "killing thrash metal" was just beyond ludicrous. Ultraboris is an extreme example of the idiots in the "tr00" metal brigade, and has an attitude which just as ridiculous, if not even more ridiculous than blind fanboyism. Not least, because these type of people usually criticise fanboys of popular metal bands. A lot of metalheads just love to bash Metallica, because its seen as the "cool" thing to do, but they come off as nothing but total posers, which is the complete irony of it all. Im sorry, but anyone who gives Master Of Puppets 0/100 is not a metal fan, and is nothing but a "tr00" poser. Ultraboris is a complete eejit.
28.07.2010 - 13:47
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Angelic Storm on 28.07.2010 at 06:28

Ahhh...I remember that review! Though I could hardly forget it. lol

Ive seen a lot of bad reviews in my time, but that one is definitely the worst Ive ever seen. The whole thing about the album "killing thrash metal" was just beyond ludicrous. Ultraboris is an extreme example of the idiots in the "tr00" metal brigade, and has an attitude which just as ridiculous, if not even more ridiculous than blind fanboyism. Not least, because these type of people usually criticise fanboys of popular metal bands. A lot of metalheads just love to bash Metallica, because its seen as the "cool" thing to do, but they come off as nothing but total posers, which is the complete irony of it all. Im sorry, but anyone who gives Master Of Puppets 0/100 is not a metal fan, and is nothing but a "tr00" poser. Ultraboris is a complete eejit.

Yep, just like it's cool to consider Iron Maiden a flawless band with almost no fillers!

@damage inc.: At least I'm not permanently deluded.
----
28.07.2010 - 13:59
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 28.07.2010 at 13:47
Yep, just like it's cool to consider Iron Maiden a flawless band with almost no fillers!

If that was a swipe at me, you're seriously deluded. I dont like anything because it's "cool", I just like what I like. Its funny that my opinions have been derided both by blind fanboys and "tr00ists" like you. You're as bad as each other! The fact that you even considered for a second letting that moronic review affect how you saw the album in any way, I think says a lot. Anyone who allows how others see their opinions to affect their judgement on music is a poser.
28.07.2010 - 14:07
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Angelic Storm on 28.07.2010 at 13:59

Written by vezzy on 28.07.2010 at 13:47

If that was a swipe at me, you're seriously deluded. I dont like anything because it's "cool", I just like what I like. Its funny that my opinions have been derided both by blind fanboys and "tr00ists" like you. You're as bad as each other! The fact that you even considered for a second letting that moronic review affect how you saw the album in any way, I think says a lot. Anyone who allows how others see their opinions to affect their judgement on music is a poser.

You responded!
Meh, I guess I'm done with this.
----
28.07.2010 - 14:09
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 28.07.2010 at 14:07
You responded!
Meh, I guess I'm done with this.

The truth hurts.

Hits total: 102715 | This month: 204