Metal Storm logo
Sirenia - Morten Veland Launches New Side Project

Sirenia, ex-Tristania mastermind Morten Veland presents his fans with a first teaser of his latest project Mortemia. Gothic metal lovers should check out a full song "The One I Once Was" from the upcoming album Misere Mortem here. The album is scheduled to be released at the end of February via Napalm Records.

Mortemia, whose musical concept is based on a balanced mixture of metal and classical music, is an interaction between Morten's extreme vocals and the dramatic choirs. There are no female vocals here as compared to his previous works.

Morten is credited as the sole producer, in addition to also engineering and mixing the album on his own. The recording sessions and the mixing took place in Morten's own Audio Avenue Studios in Stavanger, Norway. The additional recordings of choirs were tracked in Sound Suite Studios in France. Morten performed and programmed every instrument on the album. The only additional contribution he got externally was that of a French choir.

Source: blogs.myspace.com
Band profile: Sirenia
Posted: 23.01.2010 by BudDa

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 23   Visited by: 118 users
23.01.2010 - 10:52
Promonex
Cathemeral
This sounds as if wants to make something completely different from Sirenia. But after a first listen I gotta say that he doesn't even need female vocals and still he manages to sound as shallow as "My Mind's Eye" or "The Other Side." I'm truly impressed. Not positively though.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
23.01.2010 - 12:36
Jon

This man has very narrow imaginative capabilities. Mortemia? Misere Mortem? Almost identical to names like Tristania, Sirenia, Obire Mortem, etc. And then, guess what, the same old choirs, same boring guitar lead as on Nine Destinies and a Downfall. Go home, Morten Veland, you have long since stopped being anything even close to interesting.
----
A mythology is a religion different enough from your own for it's absurdity to be obvious.
23.01.2010 - 12:45
annodomini

And he even dare to say that this one will be similiar to Tristania's - Beyond the Veil
----
the riddle wants to be...
23.01.2010 - 13:03
corrupt
With a lowercase c
----
23.01.2010 - 13:25
Bas
Retired Staff
Actually I like Nine Destinies And A Downfall a lot. This "Mortemia" track is just god-awful though, what an amazingly boring song.
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
23.01.2010 - 13:38
YoreLore

Take it he likes latin then? Or does he just search google for latin words? All these projects seem about as interesting as a wet sponge
----
"I'm rising in power through murdering rain
Stronger than Faith allows
Braver than heroes vows
...My head is bloody
but I am unbowed
I am power..."
23.01.2010 - 13:38
annodomini

NDAAD problem was that all songs sonded the same, 4 or 5 songs melodies almost not differed... And i have now ideas what Mortem has to do to make this album good.
----
the riddle wants to be...
23.01.2010 - 14:56
kea

IMHO Mortemia's demo song sounds great, listened to it twice and quite enjoyed it's choir. I'll buy the album.
Personally I don't like Sirenia's "NDAAD" (all songs really sounds the same), and "13th floor" also sounds way too "generic".
But I'm definitely looking forward to this Morten's project.
23.01.2010 - 15:25
Promonex
Cathemeral
The funniest thing is that he speaks about "a new musical concept into the metal scene."
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
23.01.2010 - 16:19
Ernis
狼獾
Well...not that the song is bad but...why would he need a separate band for this? He could do this as well with Sirenia... Now that'd be rather goofy if he decided to quit Sirenia and go "solo"... resulting in already two "Morten Veland ex-bands"...
23.01.2010 - 16:37
Jon

New concept my balls. People seem to think that having hundreds of different side projects is some sort of good thing. It isn't. Some musicians seem to also think that having a project for each "side of your personality" is a good thing. It's not. It just means each individual 'project' is one-sided and incredibly fucking boring.

Jungleman, I think you may be right, except really all he's done is addend Latin-sounding suffixes to everything to make it sound all, like, you know, gothic and stuff. The prick.
----
A mythology is a religion different enough from your own for it's absurdity to be obvious.
23.01.2010 - 20:57
Sulvrot

I love everything Morten has done up through At Sixes And Sevens by Sirenia, but he really seems to be losing creative steam. He turned Sirenia into a generic goth pop band and even this new project just sounds like a watered down version of early Sirenia. Come on, Morten; either do something different or call it a day.
23.01.2010 - 21:45
WorpeX
Made of Metal
13th Floor without Ailyn. Didn't realize how boring it would be without her.
24.01.2010 - 00:05
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Written by Sulvrot on 23.01.2010 at 20:57

I love everything Morten has done up through At Sixes And Sevens by Sirenia, but he really seems to be losing creative steam. He turned Sirenia into a generic goth pop band and even this new project just sounds like a watered down version of early Sirenia. Come on, Morten; either do something different or call it a day.

Sirenia was a generic goth whatever band right away. After creating the two massive albums that were Widow's Weeds and Beyond The Veil they should have just quit Tristania (which is a great name for a gothic band btw) and do whatever the hell wouldn't ruin the legacy. That way Tristania today would be an epic legend of a gothic band leaving people grasping for air wherever the name was sounded. But trying to see the musicians struggle for attention in the business by releasing one uninspired, shallow album after the next is just sad.
----
24.01.2010 - 01:12
Symmachus

I will want to check this band out, but I think the name could be more imaginative, considering how it ends in "-ia" just like the other two bands that he has been in.
24.01.2010 - 02:05
Promonex
Cathemeral
Written by Jon on 23.01.2010 at 16:37

New concept my balls. People seem to think that having hundreds of different side projects is some sort of good thing. It isn't. Some musicians seem to also think that having a project for each "side of your personality" is a good thing. It's not. It just means each individual 'project' is one-sided and incredibly fucking boring.

Let's not generalize. There are exceptions.
----
24.01.2010 - 02:25
flamesoficarus

Written by WorpeX on 23.01.2010 at 21:45

13th Floor without Ailyn. Didn't realize how boring it would be without her.

i have to agree, the song seems to miss the mark somewhat.

NDAAD had a severe lack of his vocals, so ill probaly end up buying this for that matter.
24.01.2010 - 04:31
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Tchort is one of the few metal musicians I enjoyed hearing about in regards to joining/creating a new band. No offense to this "gothster", but his entire "new sound" idea is just weak. It's like your average one-man black metal band musician deciding to lead the way in terms of a revolution by forming another never-before-heard-of black metal band. THIS TIME WITH MORE* MUSICAL INFLUENCES!

Christopher Lee has more original ideas when it comes to music than this guy. And that guy's fucking OLD!

*not actually more
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
25.01.2010 - 07:12
Italics

13th Floor was amazing.

It's funny, people who make fun of power metal and goth metal for "always sounding the same" are probably the same asshats who think that all of their death and black metal bands sound different from one another.
----
But I Justify My Desire to No One
27.01.2010 - 00:15
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
I like The New Desire far more than this one, this one is too Sirenian. I hope the rest of Misere Morten will be like The New Desire. I like the concept of not featuring female vocals though very much. Means more growls and more choirs.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
27.01.2010 - 00:54
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Written by AnGina-- on 27.01.2010 at 00:15

I like The New Desire far more than this one, this one is too Sirenian. I hope the rest of Misere Morten will be like The New Desire. I like the concept of not featuring female vocals though very much. Means more growls and more choirs.

Yes, I like "The New Desire" more as well, it felt like something fresh again, unlike this track. I just wish Mortem would be more difficult with his compositions again, because that's still where he shines most to me.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
30.01.2010 - 15:05
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Well, if anyone is interested, here you can listen to the previews of the songs.

Sounds pretty cool to me, but I'm gonna wait for the whole album of course, cause the previews are too short to analyse and criticise. I think the sound is a bit harsher than Sirenia's, and again, cannot say how glad I am to have the growls back.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
12.02.2010 - 21:38
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
If anyone wants to check, here is the Official video for the song The One I Once Was. I find it pretty neat, eye-candy and a good story to go with. (Not to mention Morten looks totally hawt )
----

Hits total: 4626 | This month: 6