10. Symbolic Acts [instrumental demo version]
11. Zero Tolerance [instrumental version]
12. Crystal Mountain [instrumental version]
13. Misanthrope [instrumental version]
14. Symbolic Acts [demo]

Top 20 albums of 1995: 1
Top 200 albums of all time: 1

Additional info
Produced, engineered and mixed by Jim Moore for D.U.A.F. productions.
Co-produced by Chuck Schuldiner.
Recorded and mixed at Morrisound Recording, Tampla, FL.
Mastered by George Marino at Sterling Sound, NYC.
Cover art: René Miville.
Band photography: René Miville.
Design: Patty Mooney.

Produced for reissue by Monte Conner.
Project coordinator: Steven Hartong.
Remastered by George Marino at Sterling Sound, NYC, December 2007.
Bonus tracks taken from Symbolic pre-production demos. Produced by Chuck Schuldiner.

Guest review by
Yanko
Rating:
So, after probably the worst album in Death's career, they have taken enough time off (two years) before releasing this one. And it is a very rapid change from the previous one, leaving many of the fans really puzzled.

Chuck has once more changed his vocals to more screaming and thus getting them to what they will sound three years later at a steady and slow pace. His singing isn't very convincing and could be easily be labeled as rather ordinary thrash singing, because of his voice lacking the personal touch of the man performing them.

Read more ››
published 15.09.2003 | Comments (33)

Guest review by
K✞ulu
Rating:
1995 was very generous to the metal world with its great releases. One of them was Death's 6th studio album called Symbolic, a true masterpiece and a classic without a doubt. Everything about this music piece impresses to the very marrow of the bones: the riffs, the leads, the bass, the drums, the lyrics and the vocals. The album is even more versatile and progressive than the previous two, with most songs running for over 5 minutes.

Read more ››
published 26.06.2008 | Comments (22)

Found in 197 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 101   Visited by: 3961 users
24.01.2010 - 14:07
Reza
Account deleted
Very nice album! Indeed, Death albums are Deathless!
05.06.2010 - 14:59
Rating: 7
vezzy
Stallmanite
This is the greatest metal album of all time? I mean, it's good but I always found the other Death albums to be better.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
27.09.2010 - 18:16
Rating: 10
Black Apep
Written by vezzy on 05.06.2010 at 14:59

This is the greatest metal album of all time? I mean, it's good but I always found the other Death albums to be better.

Awesome Album
----
\m/
12.11.2010 - 13:04
GoBlin666
This must be the best Death album in my opinion, next to leprosy
11.12.2010 - 01:03
monsterpod2
#1 AGAIN & IT FEELS SO GOOD!!!!!
20.12.2010 - 10:09
Rating: 9
mz
"great" cant describe this album.it contains every thing you want in death and progressive metal .fast tempo tracks like "misanthrope" and "1000 eyes" and slower ones like"crystal mountain" are prefect .you cant hear such clean parts in any other extreme metal album.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
14.02.2011 - 20:08
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted

Same here, this album is far from bad or even average, but it leaves me with the overall feeling of "meh", sort of like Fox-hole Megan.
15.02.2011 - 12:18
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Guest on 14.02.2011 at 20:08

Same here, this album is far from bad or even average, but it leaves me with the overall feeling of "meh", sort of like Fox-hole Megan.

to both of you: it would be amazingly hard to say (for only one album) that "this is the best metal album of all time" but this one would be in the first places more than any other death album cause it is the most complete. it has awesome solos, it has dynamic riffs, awesome production, great vocals, great lyrics and many great songs.
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
19.04.2011 - 19:09
Rating: 7
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook

same here, not about the megan part though
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
21.04.2011 - 16:33
Slayer666

sort of like Fox-hole Megan.

Yeah, I'm not really getting the hype about this album either. It's pretty good stuff, for sure, but lacks that magic that makes me go "WHOOOAH!!".
10.05.2011 - 22:27
antonio2
I like this album! One of my favorites.
15.05.2011 - 00:07
pauli2
This album is awesome!
02.06.2011 - 16:59
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Death_95 on 02.06.2011 at 11:23

Jesus I really wanted to like this, I guess I'll never like Death metal. I've listened to this and every album by Amon Amarth. The 1st 2 or 3 songs are amazing, but death metal albums are always so repetitive (Is it just me ?). Symbolic is probably the best Death metal song I've heard so far, but then it keeps going down-wards. Same exact thing with every Amon Amarth album... Maybe it's just the track-listing that I don't like, I don't know. I'll listen to The Sound of Perseverance and try to like it.
This is more like progressive-death or melodic-death, right ?

The Sound of Perseverance is a bit more convoluted, so if you like that sort of tech stuff, go for it, but Symbolic is soooooo not a typical Death Metal album. It is very diverse, so I don't know, give it some it.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
11.06.2011 - 19:38
Death_95
Quote:
The Sound of Perseverance is a bit more convoluted, so if you like that sort of tech stuff, go for it, but Symbolic is soooooo not a typical Death Metal album. It is very diverse, so I don't know, give it some it.

I gave it some time, it's a masterpiece! It's weird cause I usually like an album from the first listen, but this took some time.. I guess that's because it's too heavy and complex to like from one listen, right ?
I deleted my first comment
11.06.2011 - 23:44
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Quote:
Written by Death_95 on 11.06.2011 at 19:38

I gave it some time, it's a masterpiece! It's weird cause I usually like an album from the first listen, but this took some time.. I guess that's because it's too heavy and complex to like from one listen, right ?
I deleted my first comment

good for you mate! this is one of the best for sure. it's nice to see people changing opinions and coming back to say they where wrong.
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
12.06.2011 - 00:03
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I do find this album to be slightly overrated, especially when compared to it's awesome predecessor which always seems to get overlooked in favour of "Symbolic". In saying that though, there are some absolutely amazing songs on the album, that are total classics. xD
12.06.2011 - 01:19
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Angelic Storm on 12.06.2011 at 00:03

especially when compared to it's awesome predecessor which always seems to get overlooked in favour of "Symbolic".

well i agree with this comment. Death is one of my fav bands generally, they are really awesome. Individual Thought Patterns is an absolutely awesome album (as all Death albums are) and probably my favorite of the band. It flows perfectly and i think that this is the only thing (among with the production) where Symbolic lacks. this album is like we have 9 perfect songs together when ITP is more like a "complete album". i cannot express it good. i hope you get me! generally both albums are awesome, surely Death's best albums!
----
12.06.2011 - 14:05
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Deadmeat on 12.06.2011 at 01:19
well i agree with this comment. Death is one of my fav bands generally, they are really awesome. Individual Thought Patterns is an absolutely awesome album (as all Death albums are) and probably my favorite of the band. It flows perfectly and i think that this is the only thing (among with the production) where Symbolic lacks. this album is like we have 9 perfect songs together when ITP is more like a "complete album". i cannot express it good. i hope you get me! generally both albums are awesome, surely Death's best albums!

ITP is along with SBG, my fave Death album. And the reason why I prefer it over "Symbolic", is exactly the reason you gave! lol It just flows wonderfully well, and the whole album is seamless in it's construction. "Symbolic" feels a bit more disjointed by comparison, even though the vast majority of the album contains awesome songs. ITP is just flawless from beginning to end, proggy death metal at it's absolute finest! xD Of course, I love "Symbolic" too, but Ive always seen ITP as Chuck's true magnum opus with Death. \m/
12.06.2011 - 14:39
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Angelic Storm on 12.06.2011 at 14:05

Written by Deadmeat on 12.06.2011 at 01:19

ITP is along with SBG, my fave Death album. And the reason why I prefer it over "Symbolic", is exactly the reason you gave! lol It just flows wonderfully well, and the whole album is seamless in it's construction. "Symbolic" feels a bit more disjointed by comparison, even though the vast majority of the album contains awesome songs. ITP is just flawless from beginning to end, proggy death metal at it's absolute finest! xD Of course, I love "Symbolic" too, but Ive always seen ITP as Chuck's true magnum opus with Death. \m/

well i just listened again to Symbolic. it surely is an awesome piece of art. i am really not sure which album has the best songs (out of symbolic and ITP of course) but the only point where Symbolic lacks is the "flows as a whole album" thing. nowhere else. at least for me. (and of course a bit in Chucks voice).... (well i repeated what we told before but i love this band )
----
05.07.2011 - 00:50
Death_95
Sacred Serenity : "Maybe we could take a step back, and discover what leads us to attack"
Death writes the best metal lyrics ever after Metallica.
Beautiful album.
28.08.2011 - 16:57
kokina2
One of the greatest albums.
28.10.2011 - 22:26
Lethean
Account deleted
masterpiece
16.12.2011 - 06:22
Metal_Buff
Obvious masterpiece! I am hardly qualified to give a deep review of an album this good, this important... But there's just so many cool things going on here, I've gotta say something! The songwriting is absolutely top notch for metal, for any genre for that matter. "1,000 Eyes" is truly prophetic for 1995... "Privacy, and intimacy, as we know it, will be a memory!!" Could there be a more relevant song for the internet age?

It's not just the lyrics that are deep and full of feeling either, it's hard to describe the way in which the playing seems to evoke so much emotion too, it makes me really not want to call this death metal... Perhaps that's just so more people will give it a listen, if you haven't, you absolutely must!
17.01.2012 - 03:35
Lit.
Account deleted
Compared to others like Leprosy, Human and TSOP, it's quite overrated.
19.01.2012 - 04:44
teniva
I like it!
01.03.2012 - 20:58
Korah
The Death is Symbolic!
----
Don't cry for my English
05.03.2012 - 17:12
musicalkaratekid
'Symbolic' is about as ambitious as an album can get. With a powerful title track to open up an album of epic proportions, and to be closed by a song that really does appear to take you on a voyage of its own, this album is probably where Death's music finally came together. I'm not forgetting that 'Human' and 'Individual sound Patterns' were each in a field of their own, but i believe it is this and their next album where death truly stepped out of the death metal realms, and reached out beyond. That said, I actually prefer 'The Sound of Perseverance', but 'Symbolic' is better than most 90's albums anyway.
04.05.2012 - 02:43
rafaelars
To ME its their best and one of the most perfect albuns that I ever heard in my life
30.05.2012 - 05:20
infernaldeath87

I totally agree. I even liked Individual Thought Patterns a little bit better than this record!
01.06.2012 - 00:22
neiluria
Symbolic acts, so viviiiiiid
Yet at the same time, Were invisible !

Hits total: 127767 | This month: 534