Metal Storm logo
Get Thrashed

Poll

Which is more important in movement of thrash metal?

Testament
Seplutura
Pantera
Suicidal Tendencies
Flotsam And Jetsam

Total votes: 84
24.01.2010 - 21:29
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Recently I watched "Get Thrashed" movie for the second time, its a very nice movie when you compare it with other
metal movies as for example "A Headbanger's Journey". But there are some little mistakes in this movie in my opinion.
When we are talking about Thrash metal we cant ignore bands like Sepultura or Testament for sure. But in this movie
they talk near by 10 minutes about Sulicidal Tendencies and they dont talk about Testament and Sepultura as its needed.
They talk about Pantera which is not a Pure Thrash metal but dont give a minute to Flotsam And Jetsam and Testament. All in all
this is my own opinion, just wanted to know what you all other thrash fans think about it? which is more importnat
in thrash metal? Sepultura, Testament, Pantera, Flotsam And Jetsam or Suicidal Tendencies?

PS 1:this is the third Poll about the same thing (it was my fault ppl, sorry I was drunk!)

PS 2: special thanks to Wrathchild who gave back my right to open the poll again and again
24.01.2010 - 22:01
DayFly

I don't know how many updates I got for your topics but know that I do not appreciate it.
24.01.2010 - 22:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Simple Suicidal Tendencies of course.

They are way more orignal than the others and bridged the gap between hardcore and thrash metal.

Sepultura first started off as a German thrash rip-off then a Slayer tribute band (more or less) then got Ross Robinson in to produce and started to sound like Korn wannabees and a nu-metal band.

Pantera were also very important for keeping thrash metal alive in a time when almost everyone was running off to listen to grunge,.

Flotsam & Jetsam had a great first album but were never of any importance for the thrash scene. The only contribution they really made of lasting impression was Jason leavng the band to play for Metallica after Cliff's death.

And Testament, second-tier wannebee Metallica. First album was great but then wanted to emulate Metallica but they forgot that Metallica were the originals and they wre just followers.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.01.2010 - 22:06
soadbyob
Account deleted
Written by DayFly on 24.01.2010 at 22:01

I don't know how many updates I got for your topics but know that I do not appreciate it.

Me too, i got a least 400, by the way you mispelled sepultura in the poll
24.01.2010 - 22:15
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Honestly, this poll is probably as useless as 90% of the ones posted in the arena.

folks will simply vote for their favorite bands.

ultimately, the guys who created "Get Thrashed" (including Rat Skates, former drummer for Overkill) know a hell of a lot more about what was influential and what wasn't than 99% of the people here.

hooray, youngsters who missed metal history trying to re-write metal history based upon their personal preferences.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
24.01.2010 - 22:28
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.01.2010 at 22:06

Simple Suicidal Tendencies of course.

They are way more orignal than the others and bridged the gap between hardcore and thrash metal.

Sepultura first started off as a German thrash rip-off then a Slayer tribute band (more or less) then got Ross Robinson in to produce and started to sound like Korn wannabees and a nu-metal band.

Pantera were also very important for keeping thrash metal alive in a time when almost everyone was running off to listen to grunge,.

Flotsam & Jetsam had a great first album but were never of any importance for the thrash scene. The only contribution they really made of lasting impression was Jason leavng the band to play for Metallica after Cliff's death.

And Testament, second-tier wannebee Metallica. First album was great but then wanted to emulate Metallica but they forgot that Metallica were the originals and they wre just followers.

but none of them are as thrash metal as Testament and Flotsam And Jetsam. and Get Thrashed has forgotten them! Chuck billy is there, its true but they didnt talk about their works. its a shame.
25.01.2010 - 00:37
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 24.01.2010 at 22:15

Honestly, this poll is probably as useless as 90% of the ones posted in the arena.

ultimately, the guys who created "Get Thrashed" (including Rat Skates, former drummer for Overkill) know a hell of a lot more about what was influential and what wasn't than 99% of the people here.

hooray, youngsters who missed metal history trying to re-write metal history based upon their personal preferences.

it as sames as if you say Christ knows about god more than others. a lot of ppl doesnt believe in christ cause they are muslim or jewish or maybe atheist. Im not agree with you about this. plus more fans means more Influence IMO. (all of them are a little Thrash at least)
25.01.2010 - 00:42
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Guest on 25.01.2010 at 00:37

it as sames as if you say Christ knows about god more than others. a lot of ppl doesnt believe in christ cause they are muslim or jewish or maybe atheist. Im not agree with you about this.

what does religion have to do with this?

The two guys responsible for "Get Thrashed" were involved with the movement back in the 80's. Directly.

Do you think you know more about what 80's thrash bands were important or influential than Rat Skates? Yes or no?
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
25.01.2010 - 00:47
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 25.01.2010 at 00:42

Written by Guest on 25.01.2010 at 00:37

it as sames as if you say Christ knows about god more than others. a lot of ppl doesnt believe in christ cause they are muslim or jewish or maybe atheist. Im not agree with you about this.

what does religion have to do with this?

The two guys responsible for "Get Thrashed" were involved with the movement back in the 80's. Directly.

Do you think you know more about what 80's thrash bands were important or influential than Rat Skates? Yes or no?

can you tell me why they keep saying that "they are Hardcore (or Crossover) they are Punk (and Hardcore is an American response to Punk), can you tell me why they dont talk about thrash metal when they talk about Suicidal Tendencies? and they talk about Pantera as a savior of Metal and not thrash metal in general. they say Pantera saved Metal cause they sold when thrash metal was down (they are talkin about Nirvana who sold more than everyone in 90's era, but it was not just Pantera who saved metal as they say, Sepultura was the another)
25.01.2010 - 00:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Sepultura started playing NU-METAL after Arise. And although I love Arise and Beneath The Remains those two albums were total Slayer worship.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.01.2010 - 00:58
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
First off, answer my question. Do you think you know more about what bands mattered than former Overkill drummer/editor of "Get Thrashed", Rat Skates?

Written by Guest on 25.01.2010 at 00:47

can you tell me why they keep saying that "they are Hardcore (or Crossover) they are Punk (and Hardcore is an American response to Punk), can you tell me why they dont talk about thrash metal when they talk about Suicidal Tendencies? and they talk about Pantera as a savior of Metal and not thrash metal in general. they say Pantera saved Metal cause they sold when thrash metal was down (they are talkin about Nirvana who sold more than everyone in 90's era, but it was not just Pantera who saved metal as they say, Sepultura was the another)

apparently the significance of what cross-over was is completely lost on you. you watched the video, the video spelled it out. you were too stupid to grasp it then, there is little i could type to make you understand, yet i will try. because i truly feel sorry for you.

seems simple enough a concept to me.

Hard-core CROSSING OVER to thrash.

both communities coming together.

And for those visiting this thread who missed the discussion which lead to the creation of this useless poll:

Written by Guest on 24.01.2010 at 02:42

the bastard from Slipknot (I dont know his name) is not older than me for sure but talks too much in that movie. its absolutely WHINING when you are just trying to say that Im older than you and thats why Im right. I know a lot of red-necks in metal music. I know a lot of ppl who could be my dady but they dont fuckin know nothing about metal but headbanging. Suicidal Tendencies is a shit band who influenced bands like fuckin Bizkit or Korn. Sepultura VS Tendencies, joke of the year.

That shows TBG's grasp on the subject.
----

25.01.2010 - 00:59
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.01.2010 at 00:56

Sepultura started playing NU-METAL after Arise. And although I love Arise and Beneath The Remains those two albums were total Slayer worship.

there is no any spultura after Arise for a lot of fans (except Chaos AD). and about the second part, Im not agree cause sepultura is special enough. a lot of ppl call their first works as Death Metal, Im not agree with this part but it shows that they are more different than Slayer.
25.01.2010 - 01:04
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
@ BitterCOld, no one is perfect man, I, you and a lot of us do mistakes. I admit my mistakes, but Suicidal Tendencies has made Rap Metal and its clear. they didnt do anything to Thrash metal just fucked it.
25.01.2010 - 01:07
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
What was this nonsense about hardcore being America's response to punk? Was this in the movie or is it more of TBG's nonsensical ramblings?

Because there was punk in the US before there was hardcore...in fact it is debatable that punk started off in the U.S. with the Ramones. Either way, hardcore being the US' response to punk just doesn't make sense.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
25.01.2010 - 01:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
For FLYING FUCK SAKE Suicidal has nothing to do with rap whatsoever. So they have nothing whatsoever to do with rap metal.

Slayer and Anthrax have done more for rap metal with their co-operations than ST.

If you think St has anything to do with ra metal the Get Thrashed docu was TOTALLY lost on you and you really would need to brush up on your English.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.01.2010 - 01:09
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 25.01.2010 at 01:07

What was this nonsense about hardcore being America's response to punk? Was this in the movie or is it more of TBG's nonsensical ramblings?

Because there was punk in the US before there was hardcore...in fact it is debatable that punk started off in the U.S. with the Ramones. Either way, hardcore being the US' response to punk just doesn't make sense.

its in the movie.
25.01.2010 - 01:11
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.01.2010 at 01:08

For FLYING FUCK SAKE Suicidal has nothing to do with rap whatsoever. So they have nothing whatsoever to do with rap metal.

Slayer and Anthrax have done more for rap metal with their co-operations than ST.

If you think St has anything to do with ra metal the Get Thrashed docu was TOTALLY lost on you and you really would need to brush up on your English.

my listening is perfect man sorry! can you tell me which bands followed Suicidal Tendencies?
25.01.2010 - 01:11
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Guest on 25.01.2010 at 01:09

its in the movie.

Well, something must have been misinterpreted on your part, or perhaps there is some grammatical error and I'm misreading something, because it's like saying "thrash is Americas response to metal", make sense? No? Good. I'll have to watch the movie sober next time.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
25.01.2010 - 01:36
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 25.01.2010 at 01:11

Written by Guest on 25.01.2010 at 01:09

its in the movie.

Well, something must have been misinterpreted on your part, or perhaps there is some grammatical error and I'm misreading something, because it's like saying "thrash is Americas response to metal", make sense? No? Good. I'll have to watch the movie sober next time.

ok, the exact phrase is (its in the 60th minute of the movie): "Hardcore was the American response to Punk" and these words are "Steven Blushe's" words. as I said my listening kills! but Im not sure about all things in any movie or any book. maybe its a wrong thing to say "Hardcore was the American response to Punk", I dont know. but in the movie I saw that he is an author about "American Hardcore" so maybe he is true.
25.01.2010 - 01:39
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
@Marcel I saw the movie again (the Crossover part cause I had to explain something for Doc), unfortunately they say that it was Anthrax who created Crossover, so "Suicidal Tendencies" wasnt the starter of even Crossover! this way they are followers of Anthrax. (Im not sure cause as I said Im not in love with this or any single movie or book, just mentioned it cause it seems it your bible)
25.01.2010 - 02:58
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
I don't remember the movie that well but I highly doubt Anthrax was mentioned as the creators of crossover. SOD - yes, certainly one of the important pioneers of the style (along with DRI, Corrosion Of Conformity and Suicidal Tendencies). Not Anthrax though.
25.01.2010 - 03:01
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by jupitreas on 25.01.2010 at 02:58

I don't remember the movie that well but I highly doubt Anthrax was mentioned as the creators of crossover. SOD - yes, certainly one of the important pioneers of the style (along with DRI, Corrosion Of Conformity and Suicidal Tendencies). Not Anthrax though.

hmmm, just before the movie shows the Crossover word in the screen, someone says that they were the pioneers of Crossover I think (its the meaning of the sentence not the exact sentence) and before it they are talking about how Anthrax started to play Rap metal and punk and ....
25.01.2010 - 05:35
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Guest on 25.01.2010 at 01:39

@Marcel I saw the movie again (the Crossover part cause I had to explain something for Doc), unfortunately they say that it was Anthrax who created Crossover, so "Suicidal Tendencies" wasnt the starter of even Crossover! this way they are followers of Anthrax. (Im not sure cause as I said Im not in love with this or any single movie or book, just mentioned it cause it seems it your bible)

Have you even heard crossover thrash? Have you heard the debut albums by Anthrax and Suicidal Tendencies?

I could argue that Sepultura wasn't important for thrash - if anything, they hurt the genre by selling out, even though most of their material from the 80's is gold.

I voted for Suicidal Tendencies. I don't think you realize how big they still are here in the USA. What have you heard from them?

Yeah, I remember when I heard thrash for the first time too, but I didn't act like a fucking douche like you.
25.01.2010 - 08:58
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth

You definitely have issues with either hearing or English or something because Brian Slagel distinctly says that ST started the genre, with DRI and Corrosion of Conformity coming later.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
25.01.2010 - 13:03
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by K✞ulu on 25.01.2010 at 08:58

You definitely have issues with either hearing or English or something because Brian Slagel distinctly says that ST started the genre, with DRI and Corrosion of Conformity coming later.

you are true, this movie has such pardoxes in some parts. they say that Suicidal Tendencies was the first band who brought thrash, punk and hardcore fans to one stage. it seems it was a weird thing. skinheads and long haired fans together hehe. but as I said they say that Anthrax was the Pioneer of Crossover.
25.01.2010 - 13:13
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Wow, so THE_BLACK_GOD goes from a Metallica fanboy, to hearing a couple of random thrash bands, to watching a thrash documentary, and now he's the expert!!!!! Damn dude, maybe you should write some articles and record your own documentary DVD to educate all of us.
25.01.2010 - 13:22
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 25.01.2010 at 13:13

Wow, so THE_BLACK_GOD goes from a Metallica fanboy, to hearing a couple of random thrash bands, to watching a thrash documentary, and now he's the expert!!!!! Damn dude, maybe you should write some articles and record your own documentary DVD to educate all of us.

plz don go off-topic, you ruin every topic which I talk there as "Tattoo" thread, I dont like to see Lucas to give another notification for us both. I say it before him, talk about the movie thats all.
25.01.2010 - 13:38
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Yes, Mr. Velvet Fecal Stumps, we all know you always have to get the last word in. But, you didn't answer my questions. You shouldn't create a thread unless you know what you're talking about - that's why it's been locked so many times
25.01.2010 - 13:48
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 25.01.2010 at 13:38

Yes, Mr. Velvet Fecal Stumps, we all know you always have to get the last word in. But, you didn't answer my questions. You shouldn't create a thread unless you know what you're talking about - that's why it's been locked so many times

its absolutely the same thread, and because of its a personal things I cant say everything to you. now this is open cause it was a right poll. but if you want to dream, you can dream your dreams or you can ask Mods to close it!

my biggest reason to open this poll is Flotsam And Jetsam and Testament, Im not against Suicidal Tendencies or Pantera. Im a big fan of Pantera and love them. but I cant understand that how a movie about thrash metal can forget about Testament. they talk with Chuck Billy but as they talk with that Slipknot guy! they dont talk about Testament for a minute. so I dont know why ppl Worship this movie? it has mistakes and black spots as any other Article, Review, Documentary and book, this is what Im trying to say. but someone are fanboys of this movie.
25.01.2010 - 13:57
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Yeah papi, you're always in my dreams

So.... you haven't heard Suicidal Tendencies, but you open a thread, trying to bring them down? Sure, Testament was fairly big, but they offered little originality to the thrash scene, unlike Suicidal Tendencies. You keep making fun of Suicidal Tendencies for turning "rap metal", which they didn't do (showing your complete knowledge of the subject), and critizing them because other trendy bands list them as their influences. You even said, "Suicidal Tendencies is a shit band who influenced bands like fuckin Bizkit or Korn". Well, ya know what? So did Pantera and Metallica, but logically, that's not even an intelligent criticism anyways.

BTW, Joey Jordison of Slipknot was with Slayer on one of their tours, but you haven't criticized Slayer yet