08. The Talisman
09. The Man Who Would Be King
10. When The Wild Wind Blows

Featured in "Getting Into: Iron Maiden"

Additional info
Produced by Kevin Shirley.
Co-produced by Steve Harris.
Mixed by Kevin 'Caveman' Shirley.
Recorded at Compass Point Studios, Nassau, Bahamas.
Engineer: Jared Kvitka.
Studio Technician: Terry Manning.
Additional recording and mix at The Cave, Malibu, CA.
Studio Technician: Brent Spear.
Assistant: James McCullagh.
SSL Duality Technician: Philip Scholes.
Mastered by Bob Ludwig at Gateway Mastering, Portland, ME.

Art Direction & Design by Peacock (Stuart Crouch, Andrew Yap, Anthony Dry, Rob Wallis).
Cover Illustration, working drawings and sketches by Melvyn Grant.
Photograph by John McMurtrie.
Background images pages 4/5 and 8/9 by Darkside Animations, background image pages 10/11 by Hangman.

Staff review by
Daniell
Rating:
Iron Maiden have had ups and downs, but they consistently stuck to their unique style. 2006's A Matter of Life and Death saw a serious departure from that style towards a darker, more progressive sound - it was only a partial success. Unfortunately, Steve Harris and Co. felt encouraged, and decided to go further in their departures. The first 4 songs on The Final Frontier rank among the worst this band has ever committed and most of the time sound nothing like the Iron Maiden everyone knows. Departure from style my ass. If they wanted to depart again, the previous album was the way to do it.

Read more ››
published 16.08.2010 | Comments (255)

Guest review by
Death To Posers
Rating:
It seems like it's become trendy to dislike any music that becomes even somewhat mainstream. I am by no means bitter; I'm guilty of this prejudice quite often. So, when I saw the album votes go the way they did for The Final Frontier I wasn't shocked. But, in all honesty, I thought this album was pretty hard! This is one of Maiden's most successful albums to date and for a damn good reason. While it does sound different from anything they've done before, that doesn't make it worse. Do you really want three albums that sound exactly like Brave New World?

Read more ››
published 18.01.2011 | Comments (46)

Guest review by
omne metallum
Rating:
An album that skirts the title of worst album in Iron Maiden discography by fortune of existing in a world where Dance of Death exists, The Final Frontier is a well-intentioned album that seems stuck on autopilot for the most of its running time, bravely going where the band had not gone before... mediocrity. If you want a quick and concise description of this album, think "The Angel And The Gambler" in seven new guises!

Read more ››
published 15.04.2020 | Comments (2)

Found in 83 lists
Top lists

Comments page 10 / 16

Comments: 471   Visited by: 2534 users
14.08.2010 - 23:02
*looks back at the comments I left earlier*

Dear god, why did I participate in this shitfest?
14.08.2010 - 23:17
Rating: 10
LordMaiden
Because you're insufferable.
15.08.2010 - 00:40
Rating: 2
RavenKing
Written by RobotPolarBear on 14.08.2010 at 23:02

*looks back at the comments I left earlier*

Dear god, why did I participate in this shitfest?

Don't worry, I'm asking myself the same question. But you can never know in advance when retarded fanboys will come in full force.

I have to say that, even though a significant part of Maiden's fanbase are nice people, the other part of their fanbase is the worst I have ever seen because it is made of the most idiotic and insulting fanboys you can find.

The funniest in all this is I'm not even a Maiden hater. I consider all their 80s stuff as great and, despite the fact I haven't been into traditional Heavy Metal (or into Powermetal, for the record), for years now, I still listen to old Maiden (as I still enjoy old Blind Guardian) from time to time. Not often but still, I sometimes like hearing this old and softer stuff (compared to the music I usually listen to these days).
Truth is I've been a big Maiden fan long ago. It was one of my favorite band in the 80s but I've never been able to digest their post-SSOASS stuff. And believe me, I tried.
It's just way too boring and lame for my tastes.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
15.08.2010 - 00:54
LordMaiden
No, you just worship shitty, abstract music.

Oh, you still have ADHD too.
15.08.2010 - 01:18
Quote:
I have to say that, even though a significant part of Maiden's fanbase are nice people, the other part of their fanbase is the worst I have ever seen because it is made of the most idiotic and insulting fanboys you can find.

The funniest in all this is I'm not even a Maiden hater. I consider all their 80s stuff as great and, despite the fact I haven't been into traditional Heavy Metal (or into Powermetal, for the record), for years now, I still listen to old Maiden (as I still enjoy old Blind Guardian) from time to time. Not often but still, I sometimes like hearing this old and softer stuff (compared to the music I usually listen to these days).
Truth is I've been a big Maiden fan long ago. It was one of my favorite band in the 80s but I've never been able to digest their post-SSOASS stuff. And believe me, I tried.
It's just way too boring and lame for my tastes.

I think most fanbases are somewhat like Maiden's; most of the fans are perfectly nice, well-reasoned people, but then you get the parts that are just ugly. Some fanbases seem to have a much worse case with obnoxiouz fans than usual, though (Tool, Opeth and Radiohead spring to mind as well as Maiden).

I've never been much of a Maiden fan at all (though their 80's stuff is definitely great, they never really clicked for me as they did with nearly every single other metal fan), but even if I was their "biggest fan" and loved the post-SSOASS material, I could accept that not everyone likes it. Hell, if someone was voicing their dislike of Death, who are pretty much my favourite band, I wouldn't be angry about it; people can like and dislike whatever they want, and a lot of people seem to have a problem with grasping that quite simple concept.
15.08.2010 - 01:23
LordMaiden
Nobody cares if you don't like it, you illiterate dipshit. People just have a problem with idiots like you who diss them with no substance behind it.

Not to mention all the points we made, we made them clearly just so they would go ignored.

Fucking morons.
15.08.2010 - 01:28
RavenKing
Written by LordMaiden on 15.08.2010 at 00:54

No, it's just that unlike you I'm not blinded by fanboyism, even if I liked the band very much many years ago, so I can see it when Maiden sucks.

As for worshipping shitty abstract music, all I can say is I have the knowledge you lack, so I can see beyond raw sound and know if it's good or not. Something a noob like you (and lots of ignorant flowermetal fanboys, by the way) can't do because they've never been able to see what lies beyond the raw sound, close-minded as they are by judging and dismissing everything that doesn't sound soft and melodic as crap. There's an awful lot of things flowermetal fans will never understand because it's beyond their level of comprehension.
----
15.08.2010 - 01:34
RavenKing
Written by LordMaiden on 15.08.2010 at 01:23

Nobody cares if you don't like it, you illiterate dipshit. People just have a problem with idiots like you who diss them with no substance behind it.

Not to mention all the points we made, we made them clearly just so they would go ignored.

Fucking morons.

I can't help it: your level of maturity is really astonishing. I had to congratulate you.

Now kid, take your bucket and shovel, go playing in your little sandbox and leave grown-ups discuss between them. This post only confirms that you're an ignorant noob who knows nothing about metal, outside of mainstream bands like Maiden.
----
15.08.2010 - 01:41
Oh look, it started again.
15.08.2010 - 04:54
LordMaiden
Written by RavenKing on 15.08.2010 at 01:34

Written by LordMaiden on 15.08.2010 at 01:23

Fucking morons.

I can't help it: your level of maturity is really astonishing. I had to congratulate you.

Now kid, take your bucket and shovel, go playing in your little sandbox and leave grown-ups discuss between them. This post only confirms that you're an ignorant noob who knows nothing about metal, outside of mainstream bands like Maiden.

So the guy who wants people dead is calling me a kid. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

You must think I'm a real turd to not see the transparency in all of this. I don't know who the bigger hypocrite is, whether it would be me or you. Although I did mention before that I knew what I was talking about. Apparently, all you do is throw internet dicks without any balls attached.

Go fuck yourself. And if you think Maiden is mainstream, keep fucking yourself. As if I can't compile a list of "underground" metal bands that would topple yours...please. I've heard enough shit in my life to make you cry, little bird. How many bands do you have on the back catalog? If I told you I liked Mithras, you would probably say "I listen to real metal."

But that's not why I'm here. I came here to call your bullshit and you got all pissy with hate speech. That's another thing I like, too. It bothers you way more than me. You need to understand the internet is my little playground, one which I constantly have fun in. Idiots like you were saying noob on the net in 1995. You're not special, or smart.

So why don't you debate me on TFF, the album that started this? Because if you did, you would hide under a rock.

Oh, if you think calling me a fanboy over and over again hurts my feelings or something, I'll just strike that as something I happen to be proud of.
15.08.2010 - 04:57
LordMaiden
Written by RavenKing on 14.08.2010 at 07:50

Bunch of wretched shitbags on legs. Let's just hope you will rot in Hell and won't come back. It's people like you who make me think that some deserve death and the world would be a better place if we could purify it from all of its scum.
LordMaiden
Written by RavenKing on 14.08.2010 at 15:46

What you fail to understand is it is not so much hate as total comtempt and scorn from the worms you are that I feel. I was quite serious in my last post and I meant every word. You're so insignificant in my book that it would leave me completely cold if I learned that one of you died in your sleep last night.
You have no idea how unforgiving and merciless I can be with people if I think they deserve it.

I will be so happy the day this old has-been band will call a quit. It will be a blessed day because soon after we'll get rid of those lame Maiden fanboys on boards. And what a pleasure it will be to read all those posts in which they will whine and weep. The laments from those mainstream metal fans will be a soothing symphony for my Black Metal heart.

Now, excuse me but I have much better to do today than wasting my time in discussions with people for whom I have less consideration than the piece of dog shit sticked under my shoe.
LordMaiden
Written by RavenKing on 15.08.2010 at 01:34

I just find the last three quotes in succession funny now.
15.08.2010 - 06:46
Coverkiller
Written by Derwood on 13.08.2010 at 03:41

Written by Coverkiller on 12.08.2010 at 19:13

...their progressive side rivals any of the top bands in that genre today, which would seem heretical if i weren't a HUGE progressive metal/rock nut, so such a statement only becomes all the more of a glowing compliment.

Apparently you and I have very different ideas about the quality of the work of today's top prog bands. Put this album alongside Riverside's Anno Domini High Definition from last year and such an assertion is ridiculous. Not one track from The Final Frontier would make even a worthwhile B-side.

Written by Coverkiller on 12.08.2010 at 19:13

if you want to debate this, you'll find me where the wild wind blows.

I think Maiden may have finally managed to sink lower than "Bring Your Daughter...to the Slaughter" with that particular track.

I'm glad there are some that appreciate this album; I just completely fail to understand how it's possible.

that Riverside release was indeed marvelous, i agree. they keep developing into the torchbearer of that genre in the current decade. however, Maiden's leap into the progressive realm was indeed that, a leap, as opposed to setting out to make that style of music regularly. so the dive into that side is ambitious by any right, and in my honest opinion, its done with lush beauty while not dissipating their early work's trademark.

to those who call progressive boring, i agree with the user who recommended a listen to Maiden's Seventh Son album, which is quite possibly their best release.

to those who call "Where the Wild Wind Blows" boring, or that it blows, yeah, its not like Bruce is writing the next great classic novel, or basing his lyrics from one already written, but it maintains one thing that is critical for a song like this, atmosphere.

finally, to those who call my comments as a form of sales pitch or label quotation, all i can do is thank you for giving my writing a stamp of true approval. but here, just for you, i'll try it in YOUR language.

dis album iz good. i like maiden 4ever plz dun gooooooo!!!!!11111 (((((

i didn't realize a bit of analysis and positivity for an album most of you seem to dislike was reason enough to be considered a sort of pariah. opinions are like assholes, folks, we all have them, which makes mine just as valid as yours.
----
www.youtube.com/user/coverkiller - THE best album reviews on youtube!
15.08.2010 - 07:18
Rating: 5
Derwood
Written by Coverkiller on 15.08.2010 at 06:46

...Maiden's leap into the progressive realm was indeed that, a leap, as opposed to setting out to make that style of music regularly. so the dive into that side is ambitious by any right, and in my honest opinion, its done with lush beauty while not dissipating their early work's trademark.

I give full respect to Maiden on this album for broadening their scope. The 80's are long over and for the band to try to recapture that would turn them into nothing more than a caricature of themselves. I would much rather hear them striking out in a different direction and personally not care for the results than see them attempting to record Seventh Son Part 2 and just embarrassing themselves.

One thing is certain about TFF - it is different from what they've done before. I think it's great that they're doing something like this rather than playing it safe, especially at this point in their career. I don't agree that it's entirely a leap though. They were clearly heading this way on AMOLAD and there are several hints of it on DOD. Steve Harris has always cited King Crimson as a major influence as well. Maiden aren't exactly strangers to prog, they've just never embraced that side of themselves as wholeheartedly before as they have on TFF.

...to those who call "Where the Wild Wind Blows" boring, or that it blows, yeah, its not like Bruce is writing the next great classic novel, or basing his lyrics from one already written, but it maintains one thing that is critical for a song like this, atmosphere.

The problem I have with that particular song is that the atmosphere it has is rife with the scent of Limburger. It is pure cheese to my ears, and not of a good variety.

To each their own. Some folks like cheese that others dread to catch a whiff of.

i didn't realize a bit of analysis and positivity for an album most of you seem to dislike was reason enough to be considered a sort of pariah. opinions are like assholes, folks, we all have them, which makes mine just as valid as yours.

Aye, your opinion is every bit as valid is mine. The only positive for me on this album is "The Talisman." It would have been great to have a track the quality of "Paschendale" or "These Colours Don't Run" but nothing here grabs me at all. As I said earlier, there are moments, like a bit of truly sublime bass work from Steve in "Starblind," but they are simply too few to hold my interest. I've given it a dozen spins now, and I stand by my original rating.

And no, I don't consider you some sort of pariah, I just don't understand your ears.

Nothing like a bit of mature discussion of divergent opinions...
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
15.08.2010 - 07:41
Poto
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.08.2010 at 22:04

My god it is clear the DEAF fanboys are clearly pissed offd that people dare say bad things about their gods. Jeez you fanwhimps are really deaf, aren't you? Saying Maiden is good after 1988 hahahahahaha just a couple of songs are giid but that's it. So we have to defend why we think Gayden is bad nowadays? No probs there. But you gotta defed why Maiden is good as well. But no you're like christians. ;-)

Why do you act like a 12 year old?

Gayden? Please. That's the behaviour of a childish person who thinks he is cool. Anyone with class wouldn't say that.
15.08.2010 - 17:37
LordMaiden
Teh bands I listen to have a total of ten fans. I'm teh hrardcorz!
15.08.2010 - 23:28
Background: I'm 41, been listening to Maiden since the days "Number Of The Beast". Been a metalhead since around 1981.

So, the new album ey?

Well after 6 listens I have to say that it's pretty good - certainly far better than I expected. I just haven't really been that impressed with Maiden since their glory days of the 80s. For me "No Prayer For The Dying" was a huge dissapointment - no matter how many times I've listened to it nothing (with maybe the exception of "Tailgunner") has made any kind of impact with me. And this has pretty much been the way of Maiden ever since - the albums go in one ear and out the other without feeling as though I've listened to anything worthwhile.

Oh sure, they've had some great songs, "Paschendale", "The Educated Fool", "No More Lies", "Fear Of The Dark" to name a few, but no really outstanding albums.

Now, I'm not saying "The Final Frontier" is an outstanding album; I think only time will tell on that score. But I do think it's the best they've done since "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son".

Highlights for me so far are the title track, "Isle Of Avalon", "The Man Who Would Be King" and "When The Wild Wind Blows". For me the weak tracks are "Coming Home" and "Starblind".

OK, you can now return to your childish name calling and beliefs that only your opinion is correct and that anyone that disagrees with you needs to die.

Thanks for reading
----
http://www.last.fm/user/Nuraalek
16.08.2010 - 00:06
Galluskas

What you fail to understand is it is not so much hate as total comtempt and scorn from the worms you are that I feel. I was quite serious in my last post and I meant every word. You're so insignificant in my book that it would leave me completely cold if I learned that one of you died in your sleep last night.
You have no idea how unforgiving and merciless I can be with people if I think they deserve it.

I will be so happy the day this old has-been band will call a quit. It will be a blessed day because soon after we'll get rid of those lame Maiden fanboys on boards. And what a pleasure it will be to read all those posts in which they will whine and weep. The laments from those mainstream metal fans will be a soothing symphony for my Black Metal heart.

Now, excuse me but I have much better to do today than wasting my time in discussions with people for whom I have less consideration than the piece of dog shit sticked under my shoe.

XD
16.08.2010 - 00:34
LordMaiden
Enjoy your BM concerts with the other 12 BM fans.
16.08.2010 - 02:37
ruffio

I laughed so hard at this part. Im assuming you're a troll, but it would quite literally make my day to find out you literally believe everything you say. It's just so funny.
16.08.2010 - 04:29
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
Written by Derwood on 15.08.2010 at 07:18

...Maiden's leap into the progressive realm was indeed that, a leap, as opposed to setting out to make that style of music regularly. so the dive into that side is ambitious by any right, and in my honest opinion, its done with lush beauty while not dissipating their early work's trademark.

I give full respect to Maiden on this album for broadening their scope. The 80's are long over and for the band to try to recapture that would turn them into nothing more than a caricature of themselves. I would much rather hear them striking out in a different direction and personally not care for the results than see them attempting to record Seventh Son Part 2 and just embarrassing themselves.

Well, think about it: The 80's were best years in music. A band should be known for their sound, not try to imitate the obvious failures of today. Look at Metallica. They created one of, if not THE best thrash metal album out there. They could've kept bring the thrash out in the best way, but they moved to a radio-friendly rock style on Load and Reload, their worst albums. Sure, they can bring it back, but now it won't be taken seriously.
In music, people should stick with what they know.
16.08.2010 - 05:19
LordMaiden
Dictator is just pissed that he misplaced his Roxanne CD. He'll get over it, after he ditches the perm.
16.08.2010 - 06:57
Marcel Hubregtse is probably the most idiotic creature to touch a keyboard.
16.08.2010 - 08:36
Rating: 9
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by HallowedBeMyName on 16.08.2010 at 06:57

Marcel Hubregtse is probably the most idiotic creature to touch a keyboard.

Why do you say that?

Maybe because of this:

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.08.2010 at 18:36

LOL @ Iron Maiden and complex songs. Iron Maiden have (even when they were good up to 1988) and always havve a simple band. Even their so-called complex songs.

That's why all their periods have been covered by so many bands. Cause it's not hard.

He believes they aren't great composers, and the bands make covers because their songs are not good, but easy to play.
16.08.2010 - 12:49
Rating: 6
vezzy
Stallmanite
This is getting inteeense.
But at least it's out, finally.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
16.08.2010 - 13:40
LordMaiden
Hardcorz!
16.08.2010 - 15:07
Rating: 9
Norman-King
I really enjoy listening this album and I guess that is the only thing that matters. I don't care if the songs are short or long, simple or complex, heavy or prog, mainstream or extreme underground, as long as the music has power to move me. And Maiden did it again. I also think that this is their best album since SSOASS. My favorite on this one is The Talisman.
16.08.2010 - 15:26
everonn
Written by RavenKing on 15.08.2010 at 01:28

Written by LordMaiden on 15.08.2010 at 00:54

No, it's just that unlike you I'm not blinded by fanboyism, even if I liked the band very much many years ago, so I can see it when Maiden sucks.

As for worshipping shitty abstract music, all I can say is I have the knowledge you lack, so I can see beyond raw sound and know if it's good or not. Something a noob like you (and lots of ignorant flowermetal fanboys, by the way) can't do because they've never been able to see what lies beyond the raw sound, close-minded as they are by judging and dismissing everything that doesn't sound soft and melodic as crap. There's an awful lot of things flowermetal fans will never understand because it's beyond their level of comprehension.

I am here Asshole... and i see that you are talking bullshit about me. please accept that you are the only idiot around here and bugger off. we know what is good and what is bad. We don't need your idiotic ideas about maiden and it's music. If you think that throwing shit at a band like maiden will get you anywhere, you are mistaken. New album has everything it should have. if you are bored of it, go and finger your ass, like you usually do.
16.08.2010 - 16:27
Rating: 8
So far i'm mostly enjoying it some of it seems a little boring but some of it is different from anything they have done before and very enjoyable. I love the intro Satellite 15 and Where The Wild Wind Blows is amazing.

Hits total: 66549 | This month: 114