08. The Talisman
09. The Man Who Would Be King
10. When The Wild Wind Blows

Featured in "Getting Into: Iron Maiden"

Additional info
Produced by Kevin Shirley.
Co-produced by Steve Harris.
Mixed by Kevin 'Caveman' Shirley.
Recorded at Compass Point Studios, Nassau, Bahamas.
Engineer: Jared Kvitka.
Studio Technician: Terry Manning.
Additional recording and mix at The Cave, Malibu, CA.
Studio Technician: Brent Spear.
Assistant: James McCullagh.
SSL Duality Technician: Philip Scholes.
Mastered by Bob Ludwig at Gateway Mastering, Portland, ME.

Art Direction & Design by Peacock (Stuart Crouch, Andrew Yap, Anthony Dry, Rob Wallis).
Cover Illustration, working drawings and sketches by Melvyn Grant.
Photograph by John McMurtrie.
Background images pages 4/5 and 8/9 by Darkside Animations, background image pages 10/11 by Hangman.

Staff review by
Daniell
Rating:
Iron Maiden have had ups and downs, but they consistently stuck to their unique style. 2006's A Matter of Life and Death saw a serious departure from that style towards a darker, more progressive sound - it was only a partial success. Unfortunately, Steve Harris and Co. felt encouraged, and decided to go further in their departures. The first 4 songs on The Final Frontier rank among the worst this band has ever committed and most of the time sound nothing like the Iron Maiden everyone knows. Departure from style my ass. If they wanted to depart again, the previous album was the way to do it.

Read more ››
published 16.08.2010 | Comments (255)

Guest review by
Death To Posers
Rating:
It seems like it's become trendy to dislike any music that becomes even somewhat mainstream. I am by no means bitter; I'm guilty of this prejudice quite often. So, when I saw the album votes go the way they did for The Final Frontier I wasn't shocked. But, in all honesty, I thought this album was pretty hard! This is one of Maiden's most successful albums to date and for a damn good reason. While it does sound different from anything they've done before, that doesn't make it worse. Do you really want three albums that sound exactly like Brave New World?

Read more ››
published 18.01.2011 | Comments (46)

Guest review by
omne metallum
Rating:
An album that skirts the title of worst album in Iron Maiden discography by fortune of existing in a world where Dance of Death exists, The Final Frontier is a well-intentioned album that seems stuck on autopilot for the most of its running time, bravely going where the band had not gone before... mediocrity. If you want a quick and concise description of this album, think "The Angel And The Gambler" in seven new guises!

Read more ››
published 15.04.2020 | Comments (2)

Found in 83 lists
Top lists

Comments page 11 / 16

Comments: 471   Visited by: 2533 users
16.08.2010 - 17:34
Rating: 10
LordMaiden

Written by everonn on 16.08.2010 at 15:26

Written by RavenKing on 15.08.2010 at 01:28

Written by LordMaiden on 15.08.2010 at 00:54

No, you just worship shitty, abstract music.

No, it's just that unlike you I'm not blinded by fanboyism, even if I liked the band very much many years ago, so I can see it when Maiden sucks.

As for worshipping shitty abstract music, all I can say is I have the knowledge you lack, so I can see beyond raw sound and know if it's good or not. Something a noob like you (and lots of ignorant flowermetal fanboys, by the way) can't do because they've never been able to see what lies beyond the raw sound, close-minded as they are by judging and dismissing everything that doesn't sound soft and melodic as crap. There's an awful lot of things flowermetal fans will never understand because it's beyond their level of comprehension.

I am here Asshole... and i see that you are talking bullshit about me. please accept that you are the only idiot around here and bugger off. we know what is good and what is bad. We don't need your idiotic ideas about maiden and it's music. If you think that throwing shit at a band like maiden will get you anywhere, you are mistaken. New album has everything it should have. if you are bored of it, go and finger your ass, like you usually do.

The problem with douchebags like Dicktator is they think by listening to bands only twenty other people have heard of, that it somehow makes them a bigger authority on music. I reckon this fucking shit-for-brains must think because people like Maiden, they can't possibly be aware of the underground scene. I can list fifty bands off the top of my head that have never signed with a major record label, let alone be anywhere near a TV or radio.

And the funny thing about all of this is Maiden became (and still is) a gigantic success without either.

So let Dicktator ramble on. I find it amusing, actually. I did mention something about being a Mithras fan myself, which are surely more underground than his shitty Kreator. But he didn't respond to that, just like he didn't respond to the mountains of other points made by other people.

Fucking idiot.
16.08.2010 - 17:47
Rating: 6
vezzy
Stallmanite
The only thing I have against him is how we refers to his "anti-fanboy comrades" as "we". I mean, sure, his points are valid, but it's not like we're a cult or something.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
16.08.2010 - 18:15
LordMaiden

I posted on an underground metal forum for over two years. I can say for certainty the only one Dicktator represents is himself.
16.08.2010 - 19:07
☭ Mr. S ☭
Owner of the DSA
I think that Hidden_Dictator just trolled you all.
----
Seize the weed of production!
16.08.2010 - 19:12
Rating: 8
Warman
Erotic Stains
The first half is really weak for being Iron Maiden while the second half is amazing at times!
----
16.08.2010 - 19:41
LordMaiden

Written by ☭ Mr. S &#9773 on 16.08.2010 at 19:07

I think that Hidden_Dictator just trolled you all.

If that is the case, he did a piss poor job of it.
16.08.2010 - 22:58
Daniell
_爱情_
This discussion is utterly hilarious. It always makes my day
Go and bash my review now.
16.08.2010 - 23:05
Rating: 7
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Daniell on 16.08.2010 at 22:58

This discussion is utterly hilarious. It always makes my day
Go and bash my review now.

Yep, it really is a complete farce...

I think no matter which way this album was reviewed (ultra critical, unwavering praise, even middle of the road) there'd be sections of people tearing it apart. Although I dont share some of your opinions of the album, I still liked the review. Very good.
16.08.2010 - 23:07
JohnDoe
Account deleted
I rectify what I said earlier, after a second listen, the album is a grower and is more inspired than No Prayer and Virtual XI. Still i would never talk about it in superlatives. Just a good album, that's all.
16.08.2010 - 23:36
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
Judging from all the 10's I'm seeing, I'm gonna say that most of these children are swinging and missing.
Not you though, Daniell, I'm ignoring your review because I haven't heard A Matter of Life and Death yet, let alone Final Frontier. Once I hear them, I'll make my opinion.
17.08.2010 - 01:04
Culty

*looks back through the thread* The conversation was just so amazing. I think Hidden Dictator wins. :p
----
Gfnttlr
17.08.2010 - 02:33
HallowedBeMyName

Written by Vikcen on 16.08.2010 at 08:36

Written by HallowedBeMyName on 16.08.2010 at 06:57

Marcel Hubregtse is probably the most idiotic creature to touch a keyboard.

Why do you say that?

Maybe because of this:

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.08.2010 at 18:36

LOL @ Iron Maiden and complex songs. Iron Maiden have (even when they were good up to 1988) and always havve a simple band. Even their so-called complex songs.

That's why all their periods have been covered by so many bands. Cause it's not hard.

He believes they aren't great composers, and the bands make covers because their songs are not good, but easy to play.

Or...maybe because he uses a petty insult towards the band for no reason, and he thinks that Maiden songs are easy to play. Maybe so, but until he can prove that he can play Maiden, he's just talking outta his ass.
17.08.2010 - 05:03
Rating: 8
mikeprado30

So pasive is this one, this one does not fit in the line of the TRUE Maiden, the 80's Maiden, the ALIVE Maiden, nowadays Maiden sounds like is getting old, SAD BUT TRUE...
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
17.08.2010 - 17:03
Kalmari

On first listen it was boring, on the fifth listen it was good and on the 10th listen it's a full 10 rating album /,,/ Up the irons!
17.08.2010 - 17:06
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Kalmari on 17.08.2010 at 17:03

On first listen it was boring, on the fifth listen it was good and on the 10th listen it's a full 10 rating album /,,/ Up the irons!

And on the 50th listen, it's the greatest album ever made in the history of mankind.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
17.08.2010 - 19:30
RobotPolarBear

Quote:
And on the 50th listen, it's the greatest album ever made in the history of mankind.

What happens on the 100th listen?
17.08.2010 - 21:37
Kalmari

You die
17.08.2010 - 21:39
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Kalmari on 17.08.2010 at 21:37

You die

you die with your boots on...
17.08.2010 - 22:16
theregnar
Account deleted
Seriously the most overrated band EVER
18.08.2010 - 01:55
Rating: 9
Vikcen
Metálico
It is my 99th listen ... so can't i listen it more times ?? answer me!!!
18.08.2010 - 02:08
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Vikcen on 18.08.2010 at 01:55

It is my 99th listen ... so can't i listen it more times ?? answer me!!!

at 99th listen, it's no prayer for the dying...
18.08.2010 - 02:18
RobotPolarBear

What happens if you listen to the album 100 times, but not all the way through every time? If you, say, fast forward through the intros on a couple of listens.
18.08.2010 - 02:20
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by RobotPolarBear on 18.08.2010 at 02:18

What happens if you listen to the album 100 times, but not all the way through every time? If you, say, fast forward through the intros on a couple of listens.

if you listen skipping stuff, iron maiden is gonna getcha...
18.08.2010 - 02:32
Vikcen
Metálico
I don't want to continue dying, i need listen it more times , then better commit suicide?
18.08.2010 - 03:20
Vikcen
Metálico
One idea, i go to listen "The Final Frontier" one more time and i get the suicide. If I listen "No Prayer For The Dying" 100 times, i go to the hell. Then I listen "Dance Of Death" 100 times and I will be resurrected.
18.08.2010 - 04:50
Rating: 5
Derwood

Written by Kalmari on 17.08.2010 at 17:03

On first listen it was boring, on the fifth listen it was still boring and on the 10th listen, it was still a 4.5. After twelve listens, I gave up on it. Six months from now, I'll give it another spin.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
18.08.2010 - 05:44
HallowedBeMyName

Written by Guest on 17.08.2010 at 22:16

Yeah they are SO overrated, that's why you hear them ALL over the radio and you hear them hyped up on MTV all of the time....Get a life troll
18.08.2010 - 07:41
DP_Megachiva
Account deleted
I think it's at least a decent album... the second half has some really good moments. The songs are not brilliant, but not as bad or boring as some people suggest...
18.08.2010 - 12:36
Wayakin

Too freakin long! Songs are good, but too long. Ofcourse, some songs are just suposed to be long, theres just no other way for band to say what they have to say, so they are forced to make long and complex songs. But in this occasion, I think, that Iron Maiden has already sad all they had to say, and theres no need for such long album (over 70 minutes). But still it's quite decent album, I liked it!
18.08.2010 - 14:27
Rating: 2
RavenKing

Written by HallowedBeMyName on 18.08.2010 at 05:44

Written by Guest on 17.08.2010 at 22:16

Yeah they are SO overrated, that's why you hear them ALL over the radio and you hear them hyped up on MTV all of the time....Get a life troll

You can see lots of their videos on mainstream music channels here and you very often hear Maiden songs on 'mainstream metal special' radio broadcasts.

As for "Seriously the most overrated band EVER", I would not have told that in the 80s but it's definitely the case since Dickinson's comeback. Also, I believe lots of fanboys are frustrated by the piss poor quality of the new album (something they will never admit, of course) and can't find any solid argument to defend the material, so all they do is flaming those who dislike it.

And being overrated on the metal scene has very little to do with radio or TV. It has to do with getting way too much recognition by releasing shitty material, something Maiden specialized themselves at during the last decade.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody

Hits total: 66514 | This month: 79