08. The Talisman
09. The Man Who Would Be King
10. When The Wild Wind Blows

Featured in "Getting Into: Iron Maiden"

Additional info
Produced by Kevin Shirley.
Co-produced by Steve Harris.
Mixed by Kevin 'Caveman' Shirley.
Recorded at Compass Point Studios, Nassau, Bahamas.
Engineer: Jared Kvitka.
Studio Technician: Terry Manning.
Additional recording and mix at The Cave, Malibu, CA.
Studio Technician: Brent Spear.
Assistant: James McCullagh.
SSL Duality Technician: Philip Scholes.
Mastered by Bob Ludwig at Gateway Mastering, Portland, ME.

Art Direction & Design by Peacock (Stuart Crouch, Andrew Yap, Anthony Dry, Rob Wallis).
Cover Illustration, working drawings and sketches by Melvyn Grant.
Photograph by John McMurtrie.
Background images pages 4/5 and 8/9 by Darkside Animations, background image pages 10/11 by Hangman.

Staff review by
Daniell
Rating:
Iron Maiden have had ups and downs, but they consistently stuck to their unique style. 2006's A Matter of Life and Death saw a serious departure from that style towards a darker, more progressive sound - it was only a partial success. Unfortunately, Steve Harris and Co. felt encouraged, and decided to go further in their departures. The first 4 songs on The Final Frontier rank among the worst this band has ever committed and most of the time sound nothing like the Iron Maiden everyone knows. Departure from style my ass. If they wanted to depart again, the previous album was the way to do it.

Read more ››
published 16.08.2010 | Comments (255)

Guest review by
Death To Posers
Rating:
It seems like it's become trendy to dislike any music that becomes even somewhat mainstream. I am by no means bitter; I'm guilty of this prejudice quite often. So, when I saw the album votes go the way they did for The Final Frontier I wasn't shocked. But, in all honesty, I thought this album was pretty hard! This is one of Maiden's most successful albums to date and for a damn good reason. While it does sound different from anything they've done before, that doesn't make it worse. Do you really want three albums that sound exactly like Brave New World?

Read more ››
published 18.01.2011 | Comments (46)

Guest review by
omne metallum
Rating:
An album that skirts the title of worst album in Iron Maiden discography by fortune of existing in a world where Dance of Death exists, The Final Frontier is a well-intentioned album that seems stuck on autopilot for the most of its running time, bravely going where the band had not gone before... mediocrity. If you want a quick and concise description of this album, think "The Angel And The Gambler" in seven new guises!

Read more ››
published 15.04.2020 | Comments (2)

Found in 83 lists
Top lists

Comments page 13 / 16

Comments: 471   Visited by: 2533 users
20.08.2010 - 19:47
Rating: 2
RavenKing
Written by Vikcen on 20.08.2010 at 19:40

Angelic Storm: Virtual XI for you, i can see

Imo, "Virtual XI" is the deepest abyss a metal band can reach. Twelve years later, I still wonder what Maiden had in mind when they released that garbage.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
20.08.2010 - 19:50
RavenKing
Written by Angelic Storm on 20.08.2010 at 19:45

@Hidden_Dictator: Its between the 1st 2 albums for worst Maiden album of the 80's for me. Both are pretty much equal, so its hard for me to pick between those two.

It's between these two albums for me too. However, I think the first album had a few memorable songs, while "Killers" has lots of forgettable fillers, imo.
----
20.08.2010 - 19:51
Rating: 9
Vikcen
Metálico
Hidden_Dictator: hahaha It's not such a big deal .
20.08.2010 - 19:54
Vikcen
Metálico
My god! The first is Great! one of the best, i can't believe it .
20.08.2010 - 19:57
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Vikcen on 20.08.2010 at 19:16

Written by Guest on 20.08.2010 at 19:10

Written by Vikcen on 20.08.2010 at 18:48

We talk a lot about the golden age of Iron Maiden, but here's the worst record of them: "Killers" .

thta's your opinion; don't make sound like a fact.

Do you think really that is a fact?

NO
20.08.2010 - 19:57
RavenKing
Written by Vikcen on 20.08.2010 at 19:54

My god! The first is Great! one of the best

I never said it was a bad album. It's a good one. However, I think it's overshadowed by the stuff from TNOTB to SSOASS.
----
20.08.2010 - 19:59
Rating: 7
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 20.08.2010 at 19:50
It's between these two albums for me too. However, I think the first album had a few memorable songs, while "Killers" has lots of forgettable fillers, imo.

Looking at the tracklistings for both albums now, then yep, Id have to agree that "Killers" is the worst between the 2. The debut has only one real filler IMO. ("Charlotte The Harlot"). While "Killers" has 2. ("Another Life", and "Drifter") And the debut's ratio of truly great songs is also higher than "Killers".
20.08.2010 - 20:06
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Angelic Storm on 20.08.2010 at 19:45

Both are pretty much equal, so its hard for me to pick between those two.

Your rating:

1980 - Iron Maiden 9
1981 - Killers 8

That memory =).
20.08.2010 - 20:14
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Vikcen on 20.08.2010 at 20:06
Your rating:

1980 - Iron Maiden 9
1981 - Killers 8

That memory =).

That's right. lol

I had no idea you were watching my collection so closely.
20.08.2010 - 20:21
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Angelic Storm on 20.08.2010 at 20:14

I had no idea you were watching my collection so closely.

haha, you can watch my collection too, if you want .
22.08.2010 - 00:03
Rating: 4
Fat & Sassy!
elite
23.08.2010 - 23:27
pazuzuovbabel
Pazuzu
Well, if you think about it with an open mind opinion, you will see that all Iron Maiden records are ranging from very good to AWESOME ,, there are Maiden weak record, even Bayley era had many great highs, but fans dislike it because they wana hear Dickinson.

Final Frontier is just another good addition into the legacy, although its little bet disappointing, because we are talking about the MAIDENs
23.08.2010 - 23:29
Rating: 6
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by pazuzuovbabel on 23.08.2010 at 23:27

Well, if you think about it with an open mind opinion, you will see that all Iron Maiden records are ranging from very good to AWESOME ,, there are Maiden weak record, even Bayley era had many great highs, but fans dislike it because they wana hear Dickinson.

Final Frontier is just another good addition into the legacy, although its little bet disappointing, because we are talking about the MAIDENs

Oh, hell no. Not this again.

You're really contorting what being "open-minded" is.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
24.08.2010 - 00:18
RavenKing
Written by vezzy on 23.08.2010 at 23:29

Written by pazuzuovbabel on 23.08.2010 at 23:27

Oh, hell no. Not this again.

You're really contorting what being "open-minded" is.

Indeed. It has nothing to do with this pointless 'open-mindedness' argument but with tastes and not liking some material. Some people think every Maiden album has something to offer and it's their right but, personally, I think this band released many average at best albums and a few shitty ones.
We're not forced to like everything and it doesn't mean we're less 'open-minded'.
----
24.08.2010 - 04:37
Vikcen
Metálico
Welcome after "Brave New World", Iron Maiden are back!!!!
25.08.2010 - 12:31
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
El Dorado Mother of mercy Coming Home When the Wild Wind Blows
28.08.2010 - 22:04
Iron Priest
Put a fork in them... their done.

almost every song was the same. slow than fast. la lala la la la la, la lala la la la la.......Da Dadada Dadada Dadada
29.08.2010 - 21:16
JohnDoe
Account deleted
I bought it and rate it a 7 which means for those who don't know I think it's GOOD.
29.08.2010 - 21:57
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by Guest on 29.08.2010 at 21:16

I bought it and rate it a 7 which means for those who don't know I think it's GOOD.

29.08.2010 - 22:15
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 29.08.2010 at 21:57

what's so funny?
29.08.2010 - 22:18
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by Guest on 29.08.2010 at 22:15

what's so funny?

Oh... I thought you were being like... sarcastically obvious with that statement.
29.08.2010 - 22:20
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 29.08.2010 at 22:18

Written by Guest on 29.08.2010 at 22:15

what's so funny?

Oh... I thought you were being like... sarcastically obvious with that statement.

I kinda was because of all the fanboyism commotion that is happening.
30.08.2010 - 04:19
Heinosity
Account deleted
OK OK!

I know I've said some shitty things about this album, and Iron Maiden (who is my favorite metal band of all time) lately. I TAKE IT ALL BACK RIGHT HERE AND RIGHT NOW, and GIVE MYSELF 30 lashings with a cat o' nine tails! Ok, I hired a Mexican to do it...ehhh he enjoyed it...fuck you. ANYWAY. In my last shitty, moronic post, I said something like after listening to this album 10 times I thought it was weak as hell, along with other choice descriptors, and that they need to stop where they are so they can save some of their legendary status before destroying it. OK, here it is, my review of this album after listening to it 30 or 40 times, stoned, drunk, sober, happy, sad, pissed off, and whatever else...I have to say I that at this point it is now the BEST Maiden album since their reunion...That's right, you heard me. I'm not a fucking idiot, I'm, well maybe I am an asshole, but an idiot / poser I am not. I have picked over every second of every Maiden album like some sort of obsessed freak. I have listened to Maiden and worshipped the ground they walk upon for over 25 years now. This album is BAD - FUCKING - ASS. SERIOUSLY. Listen to it! REALLY listen to it. YES, do it buzzed, or do it sober for that matter, but read the fucking lyrics and try to really absorb every riff, every melody, seriously delve into this album. Yes, I know the tracks are long and some of the parts are repetitive, just listen to it! They have gone a little bit prog, which is actually NOT new ground to them. Seventh Son anybody? Anyway, some have said they do prog poorly, but I'm BEGGING YOU PEOPLE. LISTEN TO IT AGAIN without your Powerslave ears on. Some of the prog guitar parts are actually so complex that you will never grasp it like any regular old school Maiden riff. In fact, I would say it is like grateful dead type abstract. Not that I like hippy jam bands, but I had ALWAYS told my grateful dead / phish / widespread panic loving dumbass / metal deprived friends that if there was ever a metal band close to this kind of outward jamming, it was Iron Maiden. Err well, or Opeth, but that's a different story...

I think this album is SERIOUSLY misunderstood, most hard-core Maiden fans are missing the point entirely (I did), and I understand why now. Don't hate me godddamnit. Vote this album up, change your votes, listen to it again and forget about trying to recreate Seventh Son of a Seventh Son because it is not going to happen. And yes, in case you are wondering...I'm a bit drunk, but that makes this particular post even more credible as far as I'm concerned. Also, don't forget this is a Iron Maidein album like all of the others. Different subject matter for each song. The only consistant "concept" to this album is the first track with Satellite 15...Final Frontier. The rest of the songs are independant, and are about really cool shit. Watch the "Mission Debriefing" for The Final Frontier on Youtube.

UP THE GOD DAMN IRONS! EDDIE WILL NOT ONLY FUCK YOUR SHIT UP, BUT NOWADAYS HE"LL DO IT WITH HORRIFYING, SCIENTIFIC DIGITAL PRECISION. UP THE 21ST CENTURY TOO YOU FUCKS! NO MORE WARS WITH IDIOTIC ISLAMIC EXTREMISTS. LETS EXPLORE SPACE n SHIT instead.

Anyone else tired of turning on the news and hearing about Iraq, Iran, Afghanstan, Hamas, and Al Queda? I want to see if there are fish people living on Europa, not hear about another worthless douchebag named Muhammad blowing up other human beings for not worshipping the same INVISIBLE MAN that he does...or having as cool a beard.
30.08.2010 - 05:36
JohnDoe
Account deleted
I don't want another Seventh Son or onother powerslave; Maiden is ok as it is now; listening to the album, i kinda felt they had fun recotding this, the music is enjoyable so the result is positive, but still not a superlative (IMHO obviously).
30.08.2010 - 13:20
Rating: 6
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Guest on 30.08.2010 at 04:19

OK OK!

I know I've said some shitty things about this album, and Iron Maiden (who is my favorite metal band of all time) lately. I TAKE IT ALL BACK RIGHT HERE AND RIGHT NOW, and GIVE MYSELF 30 lashings with a cat o' nine tails! Ok, I hired a Mexican to do it...ehhh he enjoyed it...fuck you. ANYWAY. In my last shitty, moronic post, I said something like after listening to this album 10 times I thought it was weak as hell, along with other choice descriptors, and that they need to stop where they are so they can save some of their legendary status before destroying it. OK, here it is, my review of this album after listening to it 30 or 40 times, stoned, drunk, sober, happy, sad, pissed off, and whatever else...I have to say I that at this point it is now the BEST Maiden album since their reunion...That's right, you heard me. I'm not a fucking idiot, I'm, well maybe I am an asshole, but an idiot / poser I am not. I have picked over every second of every Maiden album like some sort of obsessed freak. I have listened to Maiden and worshipped the ground they walk upon for over 25 years now. This album is BAD - FUCKING - ASS. SERIOUSLY. Listen to it! REALLY listen to it. YES, do it buzzed, or do it sober for that matter, but read the fucking lyrics and try to really absorb every riff, every melody, seriously delve into this album. Yes, I know the tracks are long and some of the parts are repetitive, just listen to it! They have gone a little bit prog, which is actually NOT new ground to them. Seventh Son anybody? Anyway, some have said they do prog poorly, but I'm BEGGING YOU PEOPLE. LISTEN TO IT AGAIN without your Powerslave ears on. Some of the prog guitar parts are actually so complex that you will never grasp it like any regular old school Maiden riff. In fact, I would say it is like grateful dead type abstract. Not that I like hippy jam bands, but I had ALWAYS told my grateful dead / phish / widespread panic loving dumbass / metal deprived friends that if there was ever a metal band close to this kind of outward jamming, it was Iron Maiden. Err well, or Opeth, but that's a different story...

I think this album is SERIOUSLY misunderstood, most hard-core Maiden fans are missing the point entirely (I did), and I understand why now. Don't hate me godddamnit. Vote this album up, change your votes, listen to it again and forget about trying to recreate Seventh Son of a Seventh Son because it is not going to happen. And yes, in case you are wondering...I'm a bit drunk, but that makes this particular post even more credible as far as I'm concerned. Also, don't forget this is a Iron Maidein album like all of the others. Different subject matter for each song. The only consistant "concept" to this album is the first track with Satellite 15...Final Frontier. The rest of the songs are independant, and are about really cool shit. Watch the "Mission Debriefing" for The Final Frontier on Youtube.

UP THE GOD DAMN IRONS! EDDIE WILL NOT ONLY FUCK YOUR SHIT UP, BUT NOWADAYS HE"LL DO IT WITH HORRIFYING, SCIENTIFIC DIGITAL PRECISION. UP THE 21ST CENTURY TOO YOU FUCKS! NO MORE WARS WITH IDIOTIC ISLAMIC EXTREMISTS. LETS EXPLORE SPACE n SHIT instead.

Anyone else tired of turning on the news and hearing about Iraq, Iran, Afghanstan, Hamas, and Al Queda? I want to see if there are fish people living on Europa, not hear about another worthless douchebag named Muhammad blowing up other human beings for not worshipping the same INVISIBLE MAN that he does...or having as cool a beard.

Best post ever.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
30.08.2010 - 14:38
Written by vezzy on 30.08.2010 at 13:20

OK OK!

Best post ever.

Agreed. I would put it in my sig, but it's too big (rhyming FTW). And only using a part of the post in my sig isn't good enough.
30.08.2010 - 22:16
Fat & Sassy!
elite

My favorite part. XD
31.08.2010 - 12:34
Rating: 10
Kalmari
I made a cover from The Alchemist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2p4cbxHXhI
Comments?
01.09.2010 - 14:22
rampar566
Great album!
05.09.2010 - 02:54
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker

OK OK!

great post man, now after i listened to it for more than 15 times its a really great album like you said great lyrics, and i cant agree more with last part of ur post it makes me sick man

Hits total: 66540 | This month: 105