08. The Talisman
09. The Man Who Would Be King
10. When The Wild Wind Blows

Featured in "Getting Into: Iron Maiden"

Additional info
Produced by Kevin Shirley.
Co-produced by Steve Harris.
Mixed by Kevin 'Caveman' Shirley.
Recorded at Compass Point Studios, Nassau, Bahamas.
Engineer: Jared Kvitka.
Studio Technician: Terry Manning.
Additional recording and mix at The Cave, Malibu, CA.
Studio Technician: Brent Spear.
Assistant: James McCullagh.
SSL Duality Technician: Philip Scholes.
Mastered by Bob Ludwig at Gateway Mastering, Portland, ME.

Art Direction & Design by Peacock (Stuart Crouch, Andrew Yap, Anthony Dry, Rob Wallis).
Cover Illustration, working drawings and sketches by Melvyn Grant.
Photograph by John McMurtrie.
Background images pages 4/5 and 8/9 by Darkside Animations, background image pages 10/11 by Hangman.

Staff review by
Daniell
Rating:
Iron Maiden have had ups and downs, but they consistently stuck to their unique style. 2006's A Matter of Life and Death saw a serious departure from that style towards a darker, more progressive sound - it was only a partial success. Unfortunately, Steve Harris and Co. felt encouraged, and decided to go further in their departures. The first 4 songs on The Final Frontier rank among the worst this band has ever committed and most of the time sound nothing like the Iron Maiden everyone knows. Departure from style my ass. If they wanted to depart again, the previous album was the way to do it.

Read more ››
published 16.08.2010 | Comments (255)

Guest review by
Death To Posers
Rating:
It seems like it's become trendy to dislike any music that becomes even somewhat mainstream. I am by no means bitter; I'm guilty of this prejudice quite often. So, when I saw the album votes go the way they did for The Final Frontier I wasn't shocked. But, in all honesty, I thought this album was pretty hard! This is one of Maiden's most successful albums to date and for a damn good reason. While it does sound different from anything they've done before, that doesn't make it worse. Do you really want three albums that sound exactly like Brave New World?

Read more ››
published 18.01.2011 | Comments (46)

Guest review by
omne metallum
Rating:
An album that skirts the title of worst album in Iron Maiden discography by fortune of existing in a world where Dance of Death exists, The Final Frontier is a well-intentioned album that seems stuck on autopilot for the most of its running time, bravely going where the band had not gone before... mediocrity. If you want a quick and concise description of this album, think "The Angel And The Gambler" in seven new guises!

Read more ››
published 15.04.2020 | Comments (2)

Found in 83 lists
Top lists

Comments page 14 / 16

Comments: 471   Visited by: 2533 users
12.09.2010 - 10:00
Rating: 2
Dr.W.Gy.

Oh god, what a piece of shit this album is...one track (Coming Home) is the only one I can listen to, the rest is now in the recycle bin.
21.09.2010 - 20:33
Hughes

I dont have the time to listen to it 30 to 40 times so ill probs let it without rating for now :p
30.09.2010 - 06:40
Rating: 6
Iced Angel

Listening for the 20th time, and still disappointing!!
30.09.2010 - 07:20
Rating: 9
Vikcen
Metálico
Be careful, at 100th listen you die.
30.09.2010 - 11:28
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I know a person who needed 2 years to admit, that AMOLAD really is worth album...but he did in the end

i think the biggest and only problem with "new" Maiden is fans still stuck to past...if the band still play same heavy metal as in 80ties many people would complain they're not evolving...but they evolved and now many people complain they did...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

30.09.2010 - 11:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Ellrohir on 30.09.2010 at 11:28

I know a person who needed 2 years to admit, that AMOLAD really is worth album...but he did in the end

i think the biggest and only problem with "new" Maiden is fans still stuck to past...if the band still play same heavy metal as in 80ties many people would complain they're not evolving...but they evolved and now many people complain they did...

Nope the problem with modern Maiden is that it is boring, overdrawn, totally pointless. They didn't evolve. For that would implicate they got better. They devolved. Change doesn't necessarily mean it gets better. Hell, they changed from album to album back in the day and you heard no one complain back then that they got worse. It all went downhill after Seventh Son, there is more change musically between the first seven albums than between all the albums afterwards.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.09.2010 - 11:35
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I think we two can never agree with each other on that, since i dont feel "new" Maiden's music as "boring" or "pointless" and never will be
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

30.09.2010 - 14:27
Rating: 2
RavenKing

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.09.2010 at 11:33

Written by Ellrohir on 30.09.2010 at 11:28

Nope the problem with modern Maiden is that it is boring, overdrawn, totally pointless. They didn't evolve. For that would implicate they got better. They devolved. Change doesn't necessarily mean it gets better. Hell, they changed from album to album back in the day and you heard no one complain back then that they got worse. It all went downhill after Seventh Son, there is more change musically between the first seven albums than between all the albums afterwards.

Totally agreed, Marcel.

Maiden is extremely stale since "Fear Of The Dark" and even more since "Dance Of Death". They basically release the same thing all the time, only with poorer results each time. Each new album is more boring than the last.
They changed after SSOASS but it was for the worst, indeed. It's not evolution but devolution.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
03.10.2010 - 19:38
Hughes

I think with Brave new world they had something there to change and start again but imo they ruined it. To be completely honest Maiden did use kinda the same tunes on all of their albums in the past.
23.10.2010 - 19:07
Metalbound7

Written by Guest on 29.08.2010 at 22:20

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 29.08.2010 at 22:18

Written by Guest on 29.08.2010 at 22:15

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 29.08.2010 at 21:57

Written by Guest on 29.08.2010 at 21:16

I bought it and rate it a 7 which means for those who don't know I think it's GOOD.

what's so funny?

Oh... I thought you were being like... sarcastically obvious with that statement.

I kinda was because of all the fanboyism commotion that is happening.

And do you think this is fanboi commotion? take a look at youtube comments, there are a lot pf ppl saying this is the best Iron Maiden Album! same happened with Death Magnetic. Fanboys make my sick.
23.10.2010 - 19:07
Metalbound7

I bought it and rate it a 7 which means for those who don't know I think it's GOOD.

what's so funny?

Oh... I thought you were being like... sarcastically obvious with that statement.

And do you think this is fanboi commotion? take a look at youtube comments, there are a lot pf ppl saying this is the best Iron Maiden Album! same happened with Death Magnetic. Fanboys make my sick.
23.10.2010 - 19:49
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Metalbound7 on 23.10.2010 at 19:07

what's so funny?

why do you think there are 9 pages of comments here, a lot of comments from fanboys, close to ridicule.
12.11.2010 - 14:00
Immortal SEP
Account deleted
To me smaller disillusion...is that a if only mine opinion...waited be by "Maidens" and hereof scrapbooks bittock more... Is that a though above - average board, but except compositions "The Alchemist" and "The Talisman", me annihilate didn't take. I think as though 7 is for her enough high evaluation.
12.11.2010 - 19:41
Rating: 4
Fat & Sassy!

Holy shit. It's K7's distant cousin.
12.11.2010 - 19:59
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 12.11.2010 at 19:41

Holy shit. It's K7's distant cousin.

that thing he wrote is worse than what K7 writes, I did not understand anything. At least with K7 I for one understand most of the time, although with a little bit of frustration.
14.11.2010 - 15:59
Rating: 7
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I am one of the "senior" Maiden fans (along for the ride since '82). I finally listened to the new album in full. It's their best work since Brave New World. I will need a few more spins to really digest it - and click the first initial vote - but I have hope...this is more promising than the last two - the put me to "Death" records.
----
rekt
19.11.2010 - 20:14
16_Wasted_Years

Not there best. but quite good. my opinion, top 3 songs on this album are Coming Home, Isle Of Avalon, and The Final Frontier.

I wish i was alive around the time of Number Of The Beast or Piece Of Mind.
that would have been kick ass!
04.12.2010 - 05:25
Rating: 10
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
I thought it was good. It gets better as you listen to more so yeah.
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
28.12.2010 - 17:38
Mansdone

I really like iron maidens new experimental sound. I think it goes with the subject matter that they cover and it makes it feel alot deeper. Final fronteir is one of my favorite tracks that shows off dickinsons still killer vocals. El Dorado is another with Harris galloping on bass. Mother of mercy is just awesome all around, a heavy song with heavier meaning in the lyrics.
----
As the thrash pounds through your head
Pound your drinks
Tonight we shred
- Municipal Waste -
28.12.2010 - 18:14
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Mansdone on 28.12.2010 at 17:38

I really like iron maidens new experimental sound. I think it goes with the subject matter that they cover and it makes it feel alot deeper.

Totally agree.

And yes, Dickinson makes a great work in this album.
02.02.2011 - 21:01
Rating: 10
Viesturs

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!
20.03.2011 - 18:42
Rating: 3
Mountain King
K i K o
Shittiest album ever...
25.04.2011 - 11:06
erykk

Its good, but I still prefer A Matter Of Life And Death
----
Open your eyes
19.07.2011 - 11:27
Rating: 7
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Satisfactory album.
21.09.2011 - 20:12
Dedcalm
Account deleted
Ok i finally got round to getting it, and now wish i hadnt botherd. The lyrics are dull. Harris rarely writes on his own any more and when he does its nothing exciting. Looks like he still has new ideas (the whole space concept is not a new one i realise but i mean new for maiden) but doesnt seem to have the skills any longer to create great lyrics to go with them. Plus Bruce doesnt have the same strength in his voice that he used too. i know hes getting older and its understandable but if u cant reach a note like you used to then maybe you shouldnt try. The last 2 albums (maybe 3 albums cause Dance of death wasnt great either.) have been very poor. Sad as it is maybe Maiden has had its day. I'd be the last to tell an awasome band with an amazing back catalogue to retire but they are not likely to come back with another great album now and if they cant go out on a massive high then isnt it better to get out now before the standard of their music gets any lower? just my opinion.
22.09.2011 - 22:35
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Guest on 21.09.2011 at 20:12

Ok i finally got round to getting it, and now wish i hadnt botherd. The lyrics are dull. Harris rarely writes on his own any more and when he does its nothing exciting. Looks like he still has new ideas (the whole space concept is not a new one i realise but i mean new for maiden) but doesnt seem to have the skills any longer to create great lyrics to go with them. Plus Bruce doesnt have the same strength in his voice that he used too. i know hes getting older and its understandable but if u cant reach a note like you used to then maybe you shouldnt try. The last 2 albums (maybe 3 albums cause Dance of death wasnt great either.) have been very poor. Sad as it is maybe Maiden has had its day. I'd be the last to tell an awasome band with an amazing back catalogue to retire but they are not likely to come back with another great album now and if they cant go out on a massive high then isnt it better to get out now before the standard of their music gets any lower? just my opinion.

I agree with you that Dance Of Death and A Matter Of Life And Death were bad albums, but this isn't the case, in my opinion they come back again with an awesome album, and about Bruce, he sings surprisingly very good in this record, seems like the age is not a problem for him.
04.10.2011 - 03:17
godisdead

I love this album.
30.10.2011 - 16:20
musicalkaratekid

This album gets a lot of criticism, especially from their long-lived fans. But i don't see a problem here! I think iron maiden have made another crowning achievement in changing their sound. Mind you, no-one could argue with the fact that iron maiden are even better live...
28.01.2012 - 20:48
deflektor

I don't remember if i've put a comment here before and i don't feel like searching 9 pages of comments anyway,a 8.5/10 from me (9 without the first two songs)
26.03.2012 - 15:20
Rating: 6
Vasil de Shumen

FULL BOREDOM ...

Hits total: 66502 | This month: 67