08. The Talisman
09. The Man Who Would Be King
10. When The Wild Wind Blows

Featured in "Getting Into: Iron Maiden"

Additional info
Produced by Kevin Shirley.
Co-produced by Steve Harris.
Mixed by Kevin 'Caveman' Shirley.
Recorded at Compass Point Studios, Nassau, Bahamas.
Engineer: Jared Kvitka.
Studio Technician: Terry Manning.
Additional recording and mix at The Cave, Malibu, CA.
Studio Technician: Brent Spear.
Assistant: James McCullagh.
SSL Duality Technician: Philip Scholes.
Mastered by Bob Ludwig at Gateway Mastering, Portland, ME.

Art Direction & Design by Peacock (Stuart Crouch, Andrew Yap, Anthony Dry, Rob Wallis).
Cover Illustration, working drawings and sketches by Melvyn Grant.
Photograph by John McMurtrie.
Background images pages 4/5 and 8/9 by Darkside Animations, background image pages 10/11 by Hangman.

Staff review by
Daniell
Rating:
Iron Maiden have had ups and downs, but they consistently stuck to their unique style. 2006's A Matter of Life and Death saw a serious departure from that style towards a darker, more progressive sound - it was only a partial success. Unfortunately, Steve Harris and Co. felt encouraged, and decided to go further in their departures. The first 4 songs on The Final Frontier rank among the worst this band has ever committed and most of the time sound nothing like the Iron Maiden everyone knows. Departure from style my ass. If they wanted to depart again, the previous album was the way to do it.

Read more ››
published 16.08.2010 | Comments (255)

Guest review by
Death To Posers
Rating:
It seems like it's become trendy to dislike any music that becomes even somewhat mainstream. I am by no means bitter; I'm guilty of this prejudice quite often. So, when I saw the album votes go the way they did for The Final Frontier I wasn't shocked. But, in all honesty, I thought this album was pretty hard! This is one of Maiden's most successful albums to date and for a damn good reason. While it does sound different from anything they've done before, that doesn't make it worse. Do you really want three albums that sound exactly like Brave New World?

Read more ››
published 18.01.2011 | Comments (46)

Guest review by
omne metallum
Rating:
An album that skirts the title of worst album in Iron Maiden discography by fortune of existing in a world where Dance of Death exists, The Final Frontier is a well-intentioned album that seems stuck on autopilot for the most of its running time, bravely going where the band had not gone before... mediocrity. If you want a quick and concise description of this album, think "The Angel And The Gambler" in seven new guises!

Read more ››
published 15.04.2020 | Comments (2)

Found in 83 lists
Top lists

Comments page 8 / 16

Comments: 471   Visited by: 2533 users
14.08.2010 - 03:09
HallowedBeMyName

The 2000 albums not complex?? to whoever said that.
14.08.2010 - 03:09
Rating: 10
LordMaiden

Where did you go, nippleface? I thought you wanted an "intelligent" discussion?
14.08.2010 - 03:12
HallowedBeMyName

He ran away, he couldn't put up a strong enough argument.
14.08.2010 - 03:13
Poto

Is this the place to be if I want a good discussion about life, love and Maiden?
14.08.2010 - 03:13
RobotPolarBear

So, LordMaiden, where did you get the idea that I'm a Maiden fan? I never gave my opinion on the band, or any of their material. I never said anything about the complexity of Maiden's recent output, either. And I'm not here for an "intelligent" discussion.

Also, @ the insults. If you wanted an intelligent discussion at any point, then you're certainly not giving any indications of such.

Quote:

I was never arguing about the quality of Maiden's output. At least, I wasn't trying to; my posts may have come across as such. If they did, I apologise.
14.08.2010 - 03:16
LordMaiden

Written by RobotPolarBear on 14.08.2010 at 03:13

So, LordMaiden, where did you get the idea that I'm a Maiden fan? I never gave my opinion on the band, or any of their material. I never said anything about the complexity of Maiden's recent output, either. And I'm not here for an "intelligent" discussion.

Also, @ the insults. If you wanted an intelligent discussion at any point, then you're certainly not giving any indications of such.

How can you promote an intelligent discussion with a Maiden fanboy if you don't like Maiden?
14.08.2010 - 03:18
LordMaiden

Written by RobotPolarBear on 14.08.2010 at 03:13

Quote:

I was never arguing about the quality of Maiden's output. At least, I wasn't trying to; my posts may have come across as such. If they did, I apologise.

Good, because you would obviously be smitten by my incomprehensible knowledge of such, which is why you seem silly asking a Maiden fanboy to have an intelligent discussion about something you don't even give a shit about.
14.08.2010 - 03:20
LordMaiden

OK, off with your little head. I need someone who is going to argue Maiden with me. If not, I'll retreat to my hometown where people actually fucking know what they're talking about.
14.08.2010 - 03:21
Poto

Written by RavenKing on 14.08.2010 at 02:45

Written by HallowedBeMyName on 14.08.2010 at 02:31

I'm just saying that it is stupid to dislike something without providing reason. All I'm asking for is just a simple reason, that's all.

As to why "The Final Frontier" and every Maiden album after SSOASS sucks from my point of view, I told it already: songwriting. If you compare anything post-SSOASS to the 80s stuff, it sounds so simple, basic and uninspired compared to the complexity and originality of the old days that it pales in comparison. Also, there's nothing left of the rawness and intensity of old. No energy at all.

Sounds simple? Dream of Mirrors is simple? Or Sign of the Cross? Paschendale? Brighter Than a Thousand Suns? Isle of Avalon?

It's the silliest thing I have ever heard. Bullshit. I'd rather penetrate a pineapple that's turned inside-out than thinking like you.
14.08.2010 - 03:21
Rating: 2
RavenKing

This thread is the most pathetic failure I've seen in a long time.

And to those who think the post-2000 material is complex, there's nothing complex in plodding, dragging songs that have so little to offer they should be only 3-4 minutes long but are stretched to the brink of insanity. It's nothing compared to the complexity Maiden displayed on "Somewhere In Time" and "Seventh Son".
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
14.08.2010 - 03:22
RobotPolarBear

Quote:

Despite contributing to a portion of the fail, I have to agree with you.
14.08.2010 - 03:23
HallowedBeMyName

Written by Poto on 14.08.2010 at 03:21

Written by RavenKing on 14.08.2010 at 02:45

Written by HallowedBeMyName on 14.08.2010 at 02:31

I'm just saying that it is stupid to dislike something without providing reason. All I'm asking for is just a simple reason, that's all.

As to why "The Final Frontier" and every Maiden album after SSOASS sucks from my point of view, I told it already: songwriting. If you compare anything post-SSOASS to the 80s stuff, it sounds so simple, basic and uninspired compared to the complexity and originality of the old days that it pales in comparison. Also, there's nothing left of the rawness and intensity of old. No energy at all.

Sounds simple? Dream of Mirrors is simple? Or Sign of the Cross? Paschendale? Brighter Than a Thousand Suns? Isle of Avalon?

It's the silliest thing I have ever heard. Bullshit. I'd rather penetrate a pineapple that's turned inside-out than thinking like you.

Exactly That guy is just talking out of his ass.
14.08.2010 - 03:26
LordMaiden

Written by RavenKing on 14.08.2010 at 03:21

And to those who think the post-2000 material is complex, there's nothing complex in plodding, dragging songs that have so little to offer they should be only 3-4 minutes long but are stretched to the brink of insanity. It's nothing compared to the complexity Maiden displayed on "Somewhere In Time" and "Seventh Son".

You people are simply too ignorant to see the difference between complexity and mock-progressive.

It started getting complex on DoD and the albums thereafter became even more complex. This is simple fact.
14.08.2010 - 03:27
RavenKing

Written by LordMaiden on 14.08.2010 at 03:26

It started getting complex on DoD and the albums thereafter became even more complex. This is simple fact.

Bullshit.
----
Poto

You people are simply too ignorant to see the difference between complexity and mock-progressive.

Those songs are definitely complex. I mean, just listen to them. They have many rhytmchanges and everything. Being able to pull them off live is astonishing.

You might not like Maidens recent material, but it's plain stupidity to say they are doing simple songs. That's crazy.
LordMaiden

And when I say DoD, I'm not talking about the entire album, rather the organic structure and sound of it along with a Pachendale.
14.08.2010 - 03:28
HallowedBeMyName

How can you put up a smart argument with someone who actually KNOWS Maiden (LordMaiden) if you think everything post-Seventh Son is simplistic? Paschendale, those lyrics would bring a tear to your eye, and that's saying the least of that song's beauty.
14.08.2010 - 03:28
LordMaiden

Written by RavenKing on 14.08.2010 at 03:27

Bullshit.

Oh, yeah? How?

Have you even listened to TFF? Or did you stop two seconds in?
14.08.2010 - 03:29
LordMaiden

What the fuck? Does this guy listen to Twisted Sister every day? Get the fuck off the net and destroy your computer.
14.08.2010 - 03:30
Poto

Written by RavenKing on 14.08.2010 at 03:27

Bullshit.

No. It's not. The problem is that you think music you don't like isn't complex.

There is a good reason why Maiden removed Paschendale from their set this year. It was to difficult to pull off live. Is that clear enough for you?
14.08.2010 - 03:30
RavenKing

OK. I argued enough with foolish fanboys. You obviously don't have the brains to get the point.
----
14.08.2010 - 03:31
Papa_Ray

And to those who think the post-2000 material is complex, there's nothing complex in plodding, dragging songs that have so little to offer they should be only 3-4 minutes long but are stretched to the brink of insanity.

There appears to be a shithead amongst us.
14.08.2010 - 03:32
LordMaiden

Written by RavenKing on 14.08.2010 at 03:30

OK. I argued enough with foolish fanboys. You obviously don't have the brains to get the point.

Nah, you're just running away with your tail between your legs because Hallowed and I know what we are talking about. You're a fucking poser bitch who gave up after Dickinson left and only look at the surface of things now. Go ahead, get out. You're boring.
14.08.2010 - 03:33
LordMaiden

That's two little mice I just stepped on. I thought there were more here.
14.08.2010 - 03:34
HallowedBeMyName

That's Dictator's attempt at trying to escape our actual knowledge of the band.
14.08.2010 - 03:35
Poto

Do you have porridge between your ears?
14.08.2010 - 03:37
LordMaiden

Cool, now Hallowed and I have Poto. It's like, I spawned two more cities in Civilization and quickly developed nukes so we can mushroom cloud these cuntrags.
14.08.2010 - 03:38
RavenKing

If only you had any idea how I find it laughable to be accused of being a poser by mainstream metal fans like you guys, while I listen almost exclusively to Black Metal nowadays. Unlike you, I listen to real metal and not mock-progressive mainstream metal garbage. But feel free to believe your fancies.
----
14.08.2010 - 03:39
HallowedBeMyName

Written by RavenKing on 14.08.2010 at 03:38

If only you had any idea how I find it laughable to be accused of being a poser by mainstream metal fans like you guys, while I listen almost exclusively to Black Metal nowadays. Unlike you, I listen to real metal and not mock-progressive mainstream metal garbage. But feel free to believe your fancies.

MAINSTREAM METAL?? Are you just a full-blown idiot?
14.08.2010 - 03:39
LordMaiden

HA! Black metal? Dude, BM is total horseshit. Well, I did like Mayhem at one point....

Hits total: 66515 | This month: 80