Metal Storm logo
Which Studio Album by Anathema is your favorite?

Poll

Which Studio Album by Anathema is your favorite?

Judgement
Alternative 4
The Silent Enigma
A Natural Disaster
Serenades
Eternity
A Fine Day To Exit

Total votes: 102
25.01.2010 - 19:03
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Anethema is one of the most important bands of new sound of Doom metal (after Traditional Doom metal era). Im one of their extreme fans and I respect them so much. Opened this thread to see which album of them are more popular and it will be nice to talk about your reasons to choose it. My vote is "Eternity" cause it was my very first album which I heard about them. and for me "Hope" is one of the most Poematic songs of metal ever (even if its a cover song!)
25.01.2010 - 19:17
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
You can add half a point to both Judgement and Alternative 4 for me; there's absolutely no way I can decide between the two, but they are easily my favorites. The atmosphere of both albums is simply overwhelming, it's easy to catch yourself singing along but at the same time feeling morose. "Fragile Dreams" and the "Deep / Pitiless" combination are excellent tracks, although my favorite song by them is "Release" from A Fine Day To Exit.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
25.01.2010 - 20:23
BloodTears
ANA-thema
This topic is like torture to me, not just because I'm biased because I love the band, but also because their albums are really good. It's not like I know how to be detached when it comes to them either.

I'll think about this, I have said before that I really love Serenades (which is an album not a lot of people like) but it has changed.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
25.01.2010 - 20:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
No doubt Serenades and Gracefallen because its closser to death/doom how can it be and actualy I dont like anythng alse from band how those 2 realises so even fiew next was doom but still not good for me and leither works is same crap how The Gathering and I even dont wanna talk about those , one sample is enought tell I dislike those ''pop crap''
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.01.2010 - 20:54
Slyfang

A Fine Day to Exit (voted) and Eternity are the ones for me. can't ask for a more beautiful, more emotive atmosphere..

i just love the heartfelt sincerity in their albums. A Fine Day to Exit portrays these inner struggles perfectly in my opinion, and it succeeds in making death look beautiful instead of intimidating

Written by Bad English on 25.01.2010 at 20:31

No doubt Serenades and Gracefallen because its closser to death/doom how can it be and actualy I dont like anythng alse from band how those 2 realises so even fiew next was doom but still not good for me and leither works is same crap how The Gathering and I even dont wanna talk about those , one sample is enought tell I dislike those ''pop crap''

sometimes "pop crap" is in all possible ways better than übertr00 dethd00m with nothing but unintelligible grunting about funerals
25.01.2010 - 21:02
Andresopeth

Written by BloodTears on 25.01.2010 at 20:23

This topic is like torture to me, not just because I'm biased because I love the band, but also because their albums are really good. It's not like I know how to be detached when it comes to them either.

I'll think about this, I have said before that I really love Serenades (which is an album not a lot of people like) but it has changed.

I am one of those who likes Serenades that much, but i didn't went with that one because its sound stayed in time and changed a lot, that album cannot define the band. I went with Alternative 4, indeed it was terrible to choose, Eternity and The Silent Enigma always round my head!
25.01.2010 - 23:18
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
I voted for Judgment one of my favorite albums of all time, one last goodbye nearly made me cry the first time i heard it
26.01.2010 - 03:44
Richard

Generally, I love Doom/Death, and sometimes there's nothing better than "grunting about funerals"! But in the specific case of Anathema, I actually preferred their slightly later material to their early stuff, overall, and would say 'Judgement' was probably their peak. They became better songwriters, and still retained an element of heaviness, although it wasn't exactly a 'Metal' album as such. It wasn't really a 'pop' album, but a mature dark rock album, or something like that.
----
26.01.2010 - 03:44
the stranger

Judgement. Closely followed by A Natural Disaster. Decided Judgement over it because the first one means more to me. Musically speaking, they are at the same level.
26.01.2010 - 04:00
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Richard on 26.01.2010 at 03:44

Generally, I love Doom/Death, and sometimes there's nothing better than "grunting about funerals"! But in the specific case of Anathema, I actually preferred their slightly later material to their early stuff, overall, and would say 'Judgement' was probably their peak. They became better songwriters, and still retained an element of heaviness, although it wasn't exactly a 'Metal' album as such. It wasn't really a 'pop' album, but a mature dark rock album, or something like that.

I dont know why and how! but I always can understand you more than others. really liked your words about:"although it wasn't exactly a 'Metal' album as such. It wasn't really a 'pop' album, but a mature dark rock album, or something like that."
26.01.2010 - 11:06
IronAngel

A Natural Disaster is my favorite, and the one I heard first. The band supposedly doesn't like how it turned out, especially production-wise, but I think it's more mature and interesting than anything else they've done. Come on: the title track, Harmonium and Closer are maybe their best tracks ever.

Love Alternative 4, too. Well, I love all of them.
26.01.2010 - 13:00
JD
Account deleted
Judgement of course!! Alternative 4 comes in the second place
26.01.2010 - 14:26
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Wow Judgement has killed the other albums.
03.02.2010 - 21:23
Nathan Lurker

A Natural Disaster, closely followed by Judgment. There's a lot of diversity in Anathema's discography so sometimes other albums will fit my mood better but A Natural Disaster has always been my anchor point to Anathema, and Judgment was the first album from them that really made me love the band's music.

I'm slowly getting into the earlier stuff as well.
----

I came up from below when the she-wolf howled
and the night gave birth to her only child !Black Thunder!
I never knew no mercy I never knew no shame
I am hell in the storm clouds, the devil calls my name !Black Thunder!
03.02.2010 - 21:46
Zuzuz0r

The Silent Enigma, Eternity and Alternative 4 are for me the holy trinity from Anathema, and from those 3, I'll go totally for The Silent Enigma.
----
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead.
05.04.2010 - 13:36
Anathemani@c

Music inspires soul.... This is what A natural disaster does to me... and even though Anathema are my fav band and I love all their releases.. A natural disater still has to be that one that chases me to death! I recently broke up with my girlfriend and then it was that alboum which made me run through the past moments in the most exciting way! it's an alboum - chronicle of a relationship! Besides, I remind you that Danny wrote lyrics and music after he broke up with his gf..

Second place for me goes to Alternative4 and third to The silent enigma!
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
11.06.2010 - 20:26
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Maybe its weird but its Eternity for me.
----
Kiss my ass if you dont like me, I dont care.
18.06.2010 - 04:50
ToMegaTherion

Basically anything before and including Judgement is quite worth it. Unfortunately since then I just don't think they have done much that has been good at all.
So my vote goes to The Silent Enigma which is an excellent album. Judgement is also very good, so is Serenades and anything as I have said before and including judgement.
04.02.2011 - 15:27
Night Sight

Everything by anathema is memorable
the album that both lyrics and music are great is judgement
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
28.06.2011 - 18:15
Metal_4Ever

A Natural Disaster for me I loved the lyrics...
28.06.2011 - 19:07
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Metal_4Ever on 28.06.2011 at 18:15

A Natural Disaster for me I loved the lyrics...

Funny you say that. Lyrically AND and A Fine Day are my favorite Anathema albums (which isn't to say their other albums lack poignant lyrics, I just identify with the more surrealistic approach on those two albums), but musically I'd have to go with Judgement. The emotional complexity and texture and depressive atmosphere is just too good for me to overlook.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.08.2011 - 17:42
andreosokin
SOUNDERY
We're Here Because We're Here

since you don't have it here, Alternative 4
26.08.2011 - 20:00
Sean 79

Only like they're old stuff. Serenades and Silent Enigma pretty much essential listening. I give my vote to Silent.....
26.08.2011 - 20:16
Yavanna

I really like A natural disaster, and then the second one is Alternative 4
----
Carry me to the shoreline
Bury me in the sand
Walk me across the water
And maybe you'll understand
23.02.2012 - 18:46
Codera the Great
Account deleted
I love Eternity, it's the only one I listened to so far, but it's just breathtaking.
29.02.2012 - 21:07
gnomyst@gmail.com

A Natural Disaster. Maybe because it was the first album I listened, it became somewhat special.
06.06.2012 - 06:29
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I really enjoy Eternity, being my first album from them, and I have yet to listen to The Silent Enigma yet, an album that I'm intrigued to listen to. Their new album Weather Systems is truly amazing also.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
06.06.2012 - 17:29
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I've only ever listened to their first two doom releases, so I can't really answer this question properly....
16.06.2012 - 12:20
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Angelic Storm on 06.06.2012 at 17:29

I've only ever listened to their first two doom releases, so I can't really answer this question properly....

Shame on you, really
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
16.06.2012 - 13:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by BloodTears on 16.06.2012 at 12:20

Written by Angelic Storm on 06.06.2012 at 17:29

Shame on you, really

Those are the only two albums really worth checking out
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996