Metal Storm logo
Virgin Black

02.08.2006 - 16:22
Alouqua
Account deleted
This is a thread about a very original band: Virgin Black.
I'm not sure if I should call their music as Gothic Metal, Doom Metal, Gothic Doom Metal or whatever because their music is especial and I can't specify what kind of music they play (I accept the wisdom of those people who can explain what they play and WHY)
Ok this thread is not about my opinion but YOUR opinion...
and btw, what do you think about the 3 Requiems? "Requiem - mezzo forte", "Requiem - fortissimo" and "Requiem - pianissimo"
03.08.2006 - 02:25
Danigar

Oh wow i was sorprised you didnt make a threat of this guys before jeje But yeah i like them a lot too, i got the Sombre Romantic album long ago and didnt pay much attention to it, but i give it a second chance and now i really like it, along with the second album! Youre right about the music, they are very hard to classify, and well i think overall they a have a little of everything you said there, but yeah their very special. Im looking forward to the new albums, and im very curious how are they going to sound, i guess each one is going to emphatize in different aspects... but i would like to know how are they going to be released? The three all at once, in a whole package? or separated?
03.08.2006 - 06:27
Alouqua
Account deleted
sure you know me!!!! and well Sombre Romantic is good, I love songs like Museum Of Iscariot and
Lamenting Kiss... and my fav. album right now is Elegant...And Dying... with songs as Beloved Our Wings Are Burning (which have a video!)

Ok about the requiems... read this taken of the official page

27th July 2006 - Given the unorthodox nature of Virgin Black's current obsession - a series of three Requiems, questions have understandably been coming thick and fast on all manner of details. Most prevalent is the question pertaining to potential release schedules and with all three albums nearing completion the crucial parties have seen fit to impart a certain amount of clarity. The three albums will be released on a slightly staggered time scale beginning with Requiem - mezzo forte, the second in the series, followed by Requiem - fortissimo the last in the series and an album of intense heaviness. The first in the series, an all classical affair, Requiem - pianissimo will be the final release. The parade of albums will begin first thing in the New Year with tours to follow. We wait with bated breath.
03.08.2006 - 23:05
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
This seems to be a good band, as I said in the old forum, I only know 1 song: "And The Kiss Of God's Mouth" from the album "Elegant... And Dying"
Soon, I'll download the entire album, so, I'll say you what I think about it

As far as I know, their genre is Operatic/Gothic Metal or something like that
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
04.08.2006 - 08:48
Danigar

Oh wow thats very interesting what they are planning with the albums, im looking forward to them. So they will be released next year? thats too much : But well i think the wait is going to be worth.

@The Alchemist: well i dont see much of an operatic side but well i has a little of everything as i said and they are very hard to classify, and yeah you have to check them they are very good
04.08.2006 - 09:02
RazorOfTheLight
Account deleted
Still waiting for this band to grow on me... I'm not convinced its anything special or dynamic yet.
05.08.2006 - 06:24
Danigar

Umm yeah i suppose is not for everyone, well it can be a little complicated and hard to get into (it happened to me) and well is not very dynamic, is more the dense and slow stuff and some of us find it very special but well i guess is not for everyone
05.08.2006 - 16:36
Alouqua
Account deleted
Yeah, I agree with Danigar, this band is not for everyone... If you like only "gothic" bands with a female singer, this band is not for you. Rowan have his voice, is like Tilo Wolf for me, no one sings like him... And my beautiful Samantha Escarbe playing this insane guitar... yeah they have a female guitar and imo a really good one
06.08.2006 - 18:07
Ernis
狼獾
I never heard their music but I have read about them and I shall definitely try to get some of their albums....What I read is that they are somewhere between gothic and doom....that's fine with me for I listen to both and these two combined is great....They are also christian....it is not necessarily in their music but their members are said to share these beliefs....
06.08.2006 - 19:07
Alouqua
Account deleted
They are christian? I'm not sure about that... Would you please tell me where you read that? Is not the first time someone tell me that they are christian but I don't really think they are. Some of their lyrics make me believe that they have something religious but not exactly Christian...
06.08.2006 - 20:27
Ernis
狼獾
I do not see why this is weird if someone is a christian.....I have not said that they show it in their music...they just have members who are christians....and I read about it from Wikipedia....
06.08.2006 - 20:37
Alouqua
Account deleted
Ah I see, thanks for the info. And well I don't think is weird if someone is a christian, is just that I can't find any particular christian aspect in their music. I don't care if the members of one group are christian, satanic, gay, black or anything, i just care about the music.
And i have to admit that I didn't read this part of your text: it is not necessarily in their music but their members are said to share these beliefs... Sorry, I thought you were talking about their music
26.09.2006 - 11:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I like this abnd its so emotional and great, i like listen this band and I hera doom elements there, even band are rear and not posible get here
I had hera ''Sombre Romantic'' and ''Elegant...and Dying'' albums are iferent, firts more romnctic gothic secend more doom and I cant tell witch i like better
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
26.09.2006 - 17:08
Streetcleaner
Account deleted
I used to own "Elegant... And Dying" (don't know where the fuck that CD ran to), and it was pretty subtle music. Unfortunately, you need very good speakers for the bass sounds.
28.09.2006 - 00:36
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
A great band from Australia! I find their music very original and well put together. I love the album Elegant... And Dying. I wish they would tour though!
23.01.2007 - 02:40
Alouqua
Account deleted
Oh Finally the track list for the 'Requiem - Mezzo Forte'

01. Requiem, Kyrie
02. In Death
03. Midnight's Hymn
04. ?And I am Suffering
05. Domine
06. Lacrimosa (I am blind with weeping)
07. Rest Eternal

Rowan seems to be having a lot of "troubles" with this trilogy but i'm sure this is gonna be an amazing work (as always). i can't wait any longer!
23.01.2007 - 03:29
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Rowan does seem to have put ALOT of work and effort into this trilogy. In the news about the album on MetalStorm sounded like all his hard work drained quite a bit from him ... no dobt that every drop of effort and excellence was poured stright into the album.

Two more months!! Cant wait!!
----

Hellcunt Smurf
08.06.2007 - 23:48
dethfist666
Account deleted
I love them! They are on tour now. I think their next show is this Monday, in New York City on June 11 at the LIT Lounge. They are playing with UneXpect. I wish I could see that!
10.06.2007 - 16:53
Damned-In-Black

Requiem - Mezzo Forte is a stunning album. IMO their best to date, and considering the quality of their prior albums, that's an impressive effort... Absolutely can't wait for the next two!
10.07.2007 - 21:09
Bararey
Winter is Coming
A picture is worth a thousand words (even with a blurry one like this one!)

So you see what's wrong?! There was almost NO ONE there!!

If you combine all the people who work at the club + The band members and their techs + the fans we were not more than 70 ppl in total!!

I felt very bad for Virgin black and the other bands! I really did not know why there were not more people! and even the ones who were there were as stiff as stones (except for the one drunk kid up front!)

Events like this in the States make bands not wanting to tour in this country!

Oh and I felt sorry for all the bands I went and bought every single CD they had at the stand!
----
"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
Ser Jorah Mormont
10.07.2007 - 21:12
Susan
Smeghead
They are in my city tonight and I'm definitely going to go! I have only heard a bit of their music but I have a feeling I'll enjoy the show. We rarely get this style of metal coming through so I can't miss the opportunity! To/Die/For is also playing and people in my city are really into that style so hopefully more people will show up.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
10.07.2007 - 23:14
Bararey
Winter is Coming
You will definitely enjoy the show, all the bands played so well, and had so much energy (even if most of the crowd did not!)

1. Embers of Euphoria were pretty good death metal band, their guitarist was pretty much trashed by mid show, not sure how will he play tonight

2. Urn were next, they were ok, but the vocalist kept on talking about Iraq/war/armed forces, I mean really play the music let's enjoy it, and don't drag politics into to it! (And according to my original ticket, Shatter Messiah was suppose to play, when I asked the girl at the club she said that their van broke! hmmm I kinda don't buy it, but they still sell their CD!)

3. Virgin black were awesome, great performance and the sound here was perfect!

4. To/Die/For had so much energy it was amazing!! Most of their set was very headbangable
the only thing I could not find was their CDs, they were the only band which did not have their CDs at the stand, weird!
----
"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
Ser Jorah Mormont
14.11.2007 - 17:13
Veneror
Account deleted
New clip up and release date for Fortissimo in February! Sounds awesome
13.01.2008 - 02:18
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Danigar on 04.08.2006 at 08:48

i dont see much of an operatic side but well i has a little of everything as i said and they are very hard to classify, and yeah you have to check them they are very good

If you hear Sombre Romantic... Even in the first song... the Operatic side is clear as water.
Impossible to not see it.

I heard about this band for about 3 mouths ago... they are awesome.. I really like their stuff, so fresh... so dark, beautiful and disturbing.
This Gothic!!!

I bought their debut cd and I really love it... I just want to have more money and buy all the albums... "Beloved" and "Our wings are burning" are exellent tracks on the cd "Elegant..And Dying"
And I really like the religious thingies... a very good influence... very original. IMO
The lyrics are awesome and what about the guitars? They are from another world... Samantha has become in short time one of my favorite guitarrist.... Her guitarr sounds really like a Chello, Beautiful. And she is very hot too ajjajajajajajaja
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
03.04.2008 - 17:00
lazarus

I like their last album, probably because I'm a sort of Death metal fan, but it has also a doom atmosphere involved there, the operatic voices and the amazing guitar are another elements that fit quite well.
----
And sometimes I despair
At who I've become
I have to come to terms
With what I've done
22.04.2008 - 12:29
ArtiA
Robin Goodfellow
u know these are best songs : Darkness , Our Wings Are Burning . I'm existing by band
----
"The WAY" is perfect and complete like boundless space nothing redundant but because the mind continues to make distinction.
15.09.2008 - 08:39
Jason W.
Razorbliss
I'm definitely looking forward to finally seeing the band live on October 2! They are one of the first bands playing, but hopefully they will get more than a half hour.... ! I've waited quite awhile to see the band live, since I bought their Sombre Romantic disc the first week it was out in the U.S. ... I have a feeling it will be a killer set, particularly since the new album is so gloomy and intense. Yeah!
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
15.09.2008 - 09:10
Evican
Ann O'War
I finally got to see them when they supported Opeth here a few weeks ago and they were incredible. I was actually more psyched to see VB than Opeth to be honest.

Rowan is just amazing and in my opinion is one of the best frontmen in metal. He can growl, scream and sing, and do each as good as the last.
15.09.2008 - 09:32
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Written by Evican on 15.09.2008 at 09:10

I finally got to see them when they supported Opeth here a few weeks ago and they were incredible. I was actually more psyched to see VB than Opeth to be honest.

Rowan is just amazing and in my opinion is one of the best frontmen in metal. He can growl, scream and sing, and do each as good as the last.

Oh that is great to hear! Now I am even more excited about the show! And I had a feeling that Rowan would have a memorable stage presence... I will most certainly be up front and hopefully can get a chance to talk to them after their set
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
15.09.2008 - 09:57
Oracle
Orcinus
@Evican: I totally agree with you on Rowan, When Matt and I heard him sing like that, we were like OMG and VB completely blew us away. Yeah i have to say i was pretty excited about seeing Virgin Black more. I do wish i got some photos and them on film. I will definitely be going to another Virgin Black gig