+ Backstage Footage
+ Video Interviews
+ Behind The Scenes
+ In-Studio Video Footage
+ Video Commentary

Guest review by
706bassist
Rating:
I originally got this cd as a data cd with mp3s and b sides. But after listening to the mp3s and B sides I decided this band is worth buying the cd. I have placed an order off the internet to buy this cd. I was simply amazed at the skill, and talent displayed by DragonForce.

The first track like most power metal cds available these days begins with an intro. A Very short 13 second intro, that quickly brings you into the 2nd track.

Read more ››
published 12.02.2004 | Comments (2)

Guest review by
Dark Cornatus
Rating:
DragonForce have come a long way from their first album titled "Valley Of The Damned" but this was where the success started. Its easily their fastest album overall and usually the most widely accepted. The album kicks off with pace and fury (apart from the 13 second intro) with songs Valley Of The Damned, Black Fire, and Black Winter Night. The first two are arguably their two favoured tracks off the album, and are always played live. Black Fire is the fastest song to date they have written, which gives you an idea just how fast this song is!

Read more ››
published 06.06.2006 | Comments (20)

Found in 6 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 21   Visited by: 732 users
27.01.2010 - 23:25
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Damn, damn...i am listening to this piece now...so great tunes (for generic power metal, which is now what i want to hear )

but i cant stop asking - what have happened since those great old times to them
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

17.02.2010 - 19:41
Rating: 8
JÄY
Metal slave
Im excited to hear how the remaster of this album sounds
17.02.2010 - 19:47
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Definitely their best album. I like some stuff on the later albums, but the first felt more real, and far less gimmicky than all the albums that came after it. Its definitely a very good power metal album with some real gems on it!
22.02.2010 - 18:10
MeTalRea|istiK

The best album ever!!
01.03.2010 - 17:46
JÄY
Metal slave
Well, the remaster is out and it sounds great.....I cant say I was super-familiar with the original, but the sound quality and mixing is sounding more like sonic firestorm
03.03.2010 - 23:30
JÄY
Metal slave
Im curious what this album was rated before they got popular and dispized....has it always been around an 8? I estimate it used to be higher, say, 5 years ago
17.04.2010 - 10:45
Roro

I am not into power, but i want to give this album a chance.
i need to change my shitty mood
25.09.2010 - 20:21
Rating: 10
Vikcen
Metálico
One of the best power metal albums, i love its feeling.

By the way, this year they have remastered it in a new edition.
20.10.2011 - 23:57
Rating: 6
Milena
gloom cookie
This is the only album of theirs I can listen to - over one half of it is really enjoyable, if you're in a mood for cheese, and the other half is mere filler.
----
7.0 means the album is good
04.03.2012 - 22:00
Korah

A very good album for a very hard access!
----
Don't cry for my English
21.03.2012 - 09:17
kieranlandregan
Account deleted
Sorry, but I tried sooooooo hard. I fucking HATE power metal, really I do. About five tracks on the record are actually listenable, whilst the rest are literally just fillers. It's such an obnoxious genre, and I hate the fantasy theme in metal. The only fantasy themed metal band that are decent are Amon Amarth and they're death metal.
I didn't get any goosebumps throughout, and the one song I did was Black Fire. Which is actually a properly decent song. It's too fucking nerdy, too pretentious and too boring!
Sorry, but I'm sticking to death metal
21.03.2012 - 09:46
( invisible )

Written by Guest on 21.03.2012 at 09:17

Sorry, but I tried sooooooo hard. I fucking HATE power metal, really I do........

Try listening Nocturnal Rites - The Sacred Talisman ! It will change your point of view....
(experience how good are the vocals and guitars...I need not to say much here)
22.03.2012 - 04:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 21.03.2012 at 09:17
Sorry, but I'm sticking to death metal

If you think Dragonforce are the best representatives of power metal... then you seriously need to read more.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not into this genre at all. But to suggest after giving Dragonforce a chance that you've given power metal a chance is like saying you tried listening to pop but you didn't like the one Justin Bieber song you heard on the radio.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.01.2013 - 03:59
Epictemptation

Dragonforce rocks
----
02.02.2013 - 16:05
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Epictemptation on 21.01.2013 at 03:59

Dragonforce rocks

Dragonforce power metals
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

23.07.2014 - 13:12
Rating: 7
musicalkaratekid

Pretty solid debut for the band, which still contains everything we love/hate about dragonforce/power metal in general. A few songs here seem to sound really similar to one another ('Disciples of Babylon' and 'Revelations' being the best examples in my opinion), but other songs really impressed me, such as 'Black Winter Night' and the beautiful 'Starfire'. Theart's vocals obviously weren't fully refined at this time, as when comparing them to future releases they seem a little weak on the band's debut. Nonetheless, a striking effort.
18.08.2014 - 07:48
Rating: 7
Sang Dalang Abu

Wow.....By the way All songs in this album are amazing for their first release, but Black Fire Really awesome song.
18.08.2014 - 13:30
raveneffect

I miss this phase of Dragonforce, when they werent trying to force a clear distinction from the Rest of the Metal genre by playing stupidly fast.

This has good melodies, catchy reffrains, memorable solos and some nice piano parts. It's a good Power Metal piece, like its follower (Sonic Firestorm)
18.12.2018 - 15:06
Rating: 6
Mountain King
K i K o
I found this as boring and generic as the next 3 albums. I don't get why people think this is one is good. It's very very boring.

I prefer the "The Power Within" by far.
28.08.2022 - 09:55
24emd
Theory Snob
First half of album is 10/10 material, second half is fairly generic but still enjoyable, and the bonus track is a great song. Almost a 9 overall. Best early DF album.
----
"I am too stupid to be human, and I lack common sense." - Proverbs 30:2
"Music? Well, it's just entertainment, folks!" - Devin Townsend

Best 2024 Albums
16.04.2023 - 01:23
Lulucifer

Honestly this score is because this sequence is absolutely killer:
03. Black Fire
04. Black Winter Night
05. Starfire

Black Fire has one of the greatest chorus in PM. It's a fist pumping headbanging song, I've seen it live in a show that they opened for Trivium, curious right? Anyway, people go fucking nuts with this song. Both solos are so good, the bridge between the last two verses is also a top moment in early DragonForce.

Yeah Black Fire is great and all, but Starfire is also a very unusual song as some said above, this is almost a 80's ballad, great stuff.

The second half of the album is not bad, I think Evening Star, Revelations and Where Dragons Rule are fine songs also. But it loses a bit of steam as the songs are quite lengthy.

Hits total: 14693 | This month: 91