Metal Storm logo
80's: Anthrax vs Megadeth vs Metallica vs Slayer

Original post

Posted by Xtreme Jax, 17.05.2006 - 15:38
So i wanted to know whos your favourite out of these four massive 80s thrash metal bands based ONLY on their material from that decade. Helps if you would explain on your choice.

The albums (not inclueding EP's) that are inclued from this decade are:

Anthrax:
Fistful of Metal
Spreading The Disease
Among The Living
State of Euphoria

Megadeth:
Killing Is My Business
Peace Sells... But Who's Buying
So Far, So Good... So What

Metallica:
Kill 'Em All
Ride The Lightning
Master Of Puppets
...And Justice For All

Slayer:
Show No Mercy
Hell Awaits
Reign In Blood
South Of Heaven

My favourite out of the list would be Slayer. They are my favourite thrash metal band and all their albums that came out in the 80s are my favourite albums and get played on a regular basis. Jeff's and Kerry's guitar work is amazing with the riffs that the two come up with... plus "Reign In Blood" is one of my favourite metal albums created.

Poll

Your favourite American thrash metal on their material from the 80s

Metallica
Slayer
Megadeth
Anthrax

Total votes: 590
28.05.2006 - 01:30
belgianmetalman
Account deleted
DLMokoma, that's true, but you can still prefer a band, can't you ?
I prefer Slayer anyway
28.05.2006 - 08:32
Trifixion
Account deleted
Eh Anthrax is good I guess but compared to the other 3 they got nothing...the other 3 are legends, Anthrax is just a good Thrash band (I don't even like them really but besides the point.) Hmm Metallica had some good stuff for the TIME but come on who can tell me to this day you can listen to Master Of Puppets without getting bored to death first Megadeth is definetly better than Metallica IMO, they don't really get boring and they just have more feeling and power behind them. Slayer on the other hand just owns all of them all that can be said has been already...no Anthrax, Metallica, or Megadeth can compare to Slayer's albums...

Well I feel like I'm kind of hard on Metallica actually. Obviously they're one of the most inflential and successful Thrash bands ever but I don't think they're anything to be reckoned with anymore (they're old stuff I mean, obviously the new is garbage lol) but the old albums were good. They're just not my taste.
29.05.2006 - 00:20
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Personally, I prefer Anthrax to either Megadeth or Metallica - I just prefer Slayer to Anthrax...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
29.05.2006 - 14:17
TimmyPix

This wasn't too hard for me - because I haven't heard any Anthrax or Slayer. OK you can stop laughing at me now. So it was between Megadeth and Metallica, and I prefer Megadeth because of the much better guitarwork. The complex riffs, the amazing solos...OK so they didn't always fit the songs, but they were still amazing!
----
And remember kids, don't play with matches - flamethrowers are much more fun!
29.05.2006 - 18:15
DLMokoma
Account deleted
Yeah Megadeths guitars are great. Especially on Rust in Peace I think.
03.06.2006 - 03:43
Immortal Plague
Bloodshedder
Im gonna vote for Slayer, because out of all these bands they were probally the most influention to Metal bands, and Slayer had more good albums then Metallica did, and Metallica turned to pure shit, Slayer arnt at "pure shit" yet, but there getting there, ill just have to see how the new albums sounds, but Slayer wins this vote, o and Megadeth is good aswell, Anthrax dont deserve to be in this poll with these other bands.
03.06.2006 - 17:53
Warman
Erotic Stains
Metallica. Amazing band! During the 80's Metallica released 3 of the best albums ever and they wrote some of the best songs ever! All the 4 albums Metallica released during the 80s has meant a lot to me. I do like Megadeth and Slayer a lot too but they are not even close to Metallica's greatness and influence on me (maybe Slayer, I love them almost as much as I love Metallica).
----
03.06.2006 - 20:46
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Hmm, how shall I put it? Like this: SLAYER!! Or like this: Slayer!! ??

Let me be clear, I love Slayer to death, and no Metallica or Anthrax or Megadeth is going to change that!

In fact, I think I'm going to spin some Slayer right now.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
03.06.2006 - 21:26
spirit_inblack
harshhead
SLAYER is definitely the best band from the 80's. All of Slayer's albums from the 80's are true masterpieces in the thrash genre. Show No Mercy was better than the Megadeth, Metallica, and Anthrax debuts. Slayer is one of the few bands that released three TRUE masterpieces in a row (Reign In Blood, South Of Heaven, Seasons In The Abyss). Out of their 80's material, my personal favorite at the moment is Reign In Blood, but South Of Heaven comes in at a close second.

Megadeth is second in this list, because of the amazing guitarwork and all of their amazing albums.

If anyone is thinking of checking Slayer out, they should buy either Reign In Blood or Seasons In The Abyss. Slayer are one amazing and influential band.
06.06.2006 - 06:38
CollisionInMind
Account deleted
I voted Megadeth. I just find Megadeth the most enjoyable to listen to. They're more complex and varied. I've gotta give props to Slayer as well, certainly the most consistant of the four, and also the most groundbreaking, but Rust in Peace is my favorite of all the albums released by those four bands. Possibly followed by South of Heaven, but I'd have to think that over.
06.06.2006 - 06:55
Proud Autumn
Account deleted
I confess, I didn't put much thought into this poll. Slayer wins it easily for me.

I definitely appreciate them a lot more than the other bands on this list and I certainly think that they have been most influential in the metal scene as we know it now. I think that a lot of bands owe a lot to Slayer. Plus...It's Slayer! It's practically a necessity to be crazy about them!
06.06.2006 - 10:04
LethargyMan

Testament. Of course...

... oh wait... they're not on the list...

... Well...

Anthrax was rather creative, and I respect that... but I didn't get into them.

I never really liked Megadeath's material too much.

I really like to listen to a Metallica song every now and then, but I realised that, for some reason, I can't stand listening to two or more Metallica songs in a row.

Slayer pushed the boundaries of extreme music in Thrash metal with very respectable careers and attitudes. Slayer gets my vote.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
17.06.2006 - 19:30
Man Or Ash
Account deleted
Metallica
19.06.2006 - 13:05
Led_Zeppelin
Account deleted
Of Course form the best Band in Thrash is Megadeth..But the most Clean Thrash Band is Slayer i think...Metallica for me Means Nothing..And i Vote for Megadeath
19.06.2006 - 13:26
marinBG

Antrax and Megadeath for me are out of the race right away... i have more favourite songs by Metallica, than by Slayer, but still Slayer I think are the true thing, so my vote goes to them... Metallica have a few great songs and a whole lot of boring barbage + their way of doing things sux a bit, while Slayer are f**king true... and they kill live!
----
...cause I don't give a fuck if you hate me!
21.06.2006 - 19:16
Deucehound
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 18.05.2006 at 05:37

@Deucehound: THat may be true but the most thrashy doesn't nessecarily mean the best or most influential for that matter. Megadeth may overall be the most Thrashy band these but Slayer definetly took it to a level that Megadeth didn't, and influenced even other genres (sparked the ideas of alot of death bands.) They also were one of the first major band to bring in such a dark side to Thrash and metal in general. Sure there were dark ideas out there already but that's also something they brought to the next level.
Then it just comes down to the music, which is a matter of opinion so I can't speak for that...but I think alot of people would take Slayer. From their first album up until Seasons is all unmatched even in today's metal and Reign In Blood, Seasons, and South Of Heaven are true metal classics. I don't think Megadeth can compare, but then opinion steps in again just my thoughts.

The reason I made such a big whohah over Megadeth before was because I thought this forum was something like best 80's thrash band. I lost track of this and would have responded sooner, if I could find it. I agree Slayer is probably the most influential of these 4 artists, since almost every death metal band out there has some sort of Slayer riff. And alot of black metal as well. Metallica is influential, but apparently to bands like Avenged Sevenfold and as i've repeatly read in Guitar World Fall Out Boy.

The thing to remember about this, is that Anthrax were really doing their own thing in a different scene, and came from different influences. They really have a hardcore punk asthetic. I think they really lose out on popularity, influence, and respect because people simply go for the big two Slayer and Metallica. Even Megadeth doesn't reach the "respect" or popularity of even just Metallicaa alone. Its hard to simply say one band is better than the others, since alot seperates them. As you pointed out, Slayer has all those satanic lyircs, but the other three don't really. And as LethargyMan pointed out, there is Testament, who are equal to all these 80's bands, but isn't on the list. Then again they are lesser known. How can you compare them? I don't think any of them deserve more praise then any of the others. They all bring something different to the table.
21.06.2006 - 22:21
Stigmatized
Glad to see Anthrax getting a lot of support.....I'm not much of a fan but I thought they more well liked than this....
21.06.2006 - 23:45
Trifixion
Account deleted
Written by Stigmatized on 21.06.2006 at 22:21

Glad to see Anthrax getting a lot of support.....

Well I'm sure they have support and they certainly have fans, but compared to the other 3 bands there they really can't compare. As seen by the results
22.06.2006 - 01:32
marinBG

Written by Guest on 21.06.2006 at 23:45

Written by Stigmatized on 21.06.2006 at 22:21

Glad to see Anthrax getting a lot of support.....

Well I'm sure they have support and they certainly have fans, but compared to the other 3 bands there they really can't compare. As seen by the results

it's actually quite funny imo...
the fun aside, I think it is like not because they don't have fans that really dig them, but because the people that enjoy their music tend to enjoy Slayer, Metallica ro Megadeath more (or all of them )
----
...cause I don't give a fuck if you hate me!
22.06.2006 - 01:45
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
^^ I find it pretty funny also.:)

But they maybe dont have any votes so far because the votes should be only on the material that the bands released in the 80's ... and compared to releases that Slayer, Metallica and Megadeth released in this era, it doesnt really compare in my books
----

Hellcunt Smurf
05.07.2006 - 09:28
davenport822
Account deleted
Megadeth all the way. First of all i never got into Metallica's music in the first place. Mustaine was part of Metallica so some of their songs were written by Mustaine. Secondly, Rust in Peace was prolly the most technical thrash metal album ever created. Hangar 18, Tornado of Souls, Holy Wars those songs are what made the band and they can't be touched. I'm not sayin the other three bands are crap, tru that Slayer is the most consistent, Anthrax definitely had the best vocalist out of the bunch, Metallica...um... they were there, but Megadeth talked during the 80's more bout political things and events happening around us that affects ppl as a whole rather than their personal problems, which came around the 90's..
05.07.2006 - 09:32
tulkas
el parcero
My vote goes to Slayer first because they´re one of my favorite bands, and second because at least in my opinion they are the only band from the other on this poll that still continue not only to play, but to play excellent music. They were, are, and will continue to be one of the best bands ever.
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
10.07.2006 - 06:22
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Slayer And Anthrax for me...Mostly Every Slayer album has Been Tight...and Anthrax had The Smartest Lyrics out of the other bands...Spreading the Disease is a very underrated Album...i only Dislike John Bush era Anthrax
10.07.2006 - 07:04
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
OMG!!

FINALLY!! A vote for Anthrax!! And its taken 69 voters to finally get it!! YAY!!
----

Hellcunt Smurf
10.07.2006 - 08:50
samael06
Account deleted
Interesting. Well, definitely not Anthrax. When they released their first LP with Neil Turbin on vocals, thay were awesome. Then along came Belladonna and a whole new sound. Which I didn't care for at all. So, except for their first release, Athrax sucks the big one.

I pretty much echoe the general consensus on Metallica. They started off strong and then somewhere along the line lost their way. Talk about being majorly derailed.

Megadeth for the most part, has been pretty much consistent all through its career. They changed their sound a bit along the way, but not negatively. Strong material all the way through.

But, Slayer is my number one choice. I know some people say that they've sounded the same throughout most of their career. But the big thing is, same or not, they're never boring. And that's where they win it for me. They, with each release, have put out strong material and never been boring. Even though their sound hadn't changed much.

SLAYER! SLAYER! SLAYER!

10.07.2006 - 15:06
lordz
IzZo
I voted Metallica cuz they were the reason i started to listen to metal
10.07.2006 - 23:46
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Guest on 10.07.2006 at 08:50

Interesting. Well, definitely not Anthrax. When they released their first LP with Neil Turbin on vocals, thay were awesome. Then along came Belladonna and a whole new sound. Which I didn't care for at all. So, except for their first release, Athrax sucks the big one.

hmm, I kinda agree. Fistful of Metal is by far their best release. Neil Turbin was the man. Now that I think about it, that album MIGHT be my all-time favorite thrash album. Well...I dunno...Reign in Blood maybe....

I disagree about Anthrax sucking after that first album. I really like Joey as the vocalist and they made some really catchy songs. They sold out big time though soon after and I'm a little bitter about that.

I prefer the Stormtroopers of Death era though...
11.07.2006 - 10:50
samael06
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 10.07.2006 at 23:46

they made some really catchy songs. They sold out big time though soon after and I'm a little bitter about that.

I prefer the Stormtroopers of Death era though...

That may be why I didn't like post-Turbin Anthrax. The fact that they wrote catchy songs. Back then, I was a total thrashhead and really didn't like anything that was accessible.

SOD RULZ!!!

11.07.2006 - 13:04
Baz Anderson

this is probably the first time i have ever voted for Metallica for anything
the choice for me is out of Metallica and Slayer
i mena Slayer did have 'Reign In Blood' but the stuff from before that wasnt top notch stuff at all
Metallica's first three albums are all quite brilliant - even though i havent listened to any in a long long time
i think overall though the four eighties Metallica albums are better overall then the Slayer ones
13.07.2006 - 04:47
Darryl/2112
Account deleted
i'd go with Metallica to the Masters release a awesome lp that pretty much made the record industry look at thrash metal as marketable.
the bands that were signed were a joke.

Megadeth peace sells and certain cuts off Rust in Peace rips.
Hanger 18 and Holy Wars are killer tracks.
Anthrax debut is still my fave .