Metal Storm logo
80's: Anthrax vs Megadeth vs Metallica vs Slayer

Original post

Posted by Xtreme Jax, 17.05.2006 - 15:38
So i wanted to know whos your favourite out of these four massive 80s thrash metal bands based ONLY on their material from that decade. Helps if you would explain on your choice.

The albums (not inclueding EP's) that are inclued from this decade are:

Anthrax:
Fistful of Metal
Spreading The Disease
Among The Living
State of Euphoria

Megadeth:
Killing Is My Business
Peace Sells... But Who's Buying
So Far, So Good... So What

Metallica:
Kill 'Em All
Ride The Lightning
Master Of Puppets
...And Justice For All

Slayer:
Show No Mercy
Hell Awaits
Reign In Blood
South Of Heaven

My favourite out of the list would be Slayer. They are my favourite thrash metal band and all their albums that came out in the 80s are my favourite albums and get played on a regular basis. Jeff's and Kerry's guitar work is amazing with the riffs that the two come up with... plus "Reign In Blood" is one of my favourite metal albums created.

Poll

Your favourite American thrash metal on their material from the 80s

Metallica
Slayer
Megadeth
Anthrax

Total votes: 590
14.07.2006 - 22:38
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Metallica: shit
Slayer: good, but i don't like a lot as you do
Anthrax: For me, better than these two
Megadeth: The best band in the 80's after helloween
23.07.2006 - 21:16
Mordack
Account deleted
In this order:

Metallica
Megadeth
Slayer
Anthrax

Metallica's 80's work beats them all. Megadeth easily wins the 90's.
28.07.2006 - 05:07
Pyro
Account deleted
A battle between the big four!
So I guess, my vote goes to Metallica, they were the best until And Justice for All. Fav album, Ride the lightning
After all, they're the big four according to sales, but for most thrashers that thing of the big four is pretty senseless.
12.08.2006 - 03:50
simonfelce
Account deleted
Metallica will always be the front band of the 80's cause of the good music they put out at that time. There is no other metal band that has a better album than any of those albums (kill'em all, ride the lightning, master of puppets, ...and justice for all (my favorite)). I listened to all of those four bands, every single album. the thing is that metallica (in the 80's) had something on the attitude, on the music, the atmosphere, etc. that took you to this whole other place. This other bands are absolutley amazing thats completely true but metallica was an example to follow until the black album. And all this bands did that, they compared themselves to metallica and they have always done that!! All those 90 million records metallica has sold its because of all the fame they gained in the 80's because of the excellent music they wrote in the 80's.
12.08.2006 - 19:59
Six6Six
Account deleted
in order of worst to last it goes
Megadeath
anthrax
slayer
metallica

and heres my reasonings for this: Megadeath is not all that sweet, dave mustaine formed megadeath solely inspite of metallica and its garbage, granted mustaine can play guitar pretty awesomly but their not that great

i actually i like anthrax but realistically i couldnt put them over slayer

Slayer i guess would be second eventho im not a slayer fan whatsoever and i think theyre terrible. My friend whos a slayer fan played a song called hell awaits and after their first yelp if thats what u wanna call it i had to turn it off. I didnt feel anything towards the song accept maybe high pitch yelps shouldnt be in metal songs. Kerry kings pretty sweet but in actuality he dont have shit on Kirk hammit

And now for the best, Metallica. Now to get a few things clear. Cutting your hair is not sellingout its good higene. 2ndly they never sold out they progressed. If cliff burton never would have died whos to say metallica wouldnt be making harder music today. the only thing metallica soldout was every arena and concert theyv played. Granted Lars is a big Douschebag but he can drum and hes incredable. metallica is still the best band in the world hands down. SLayer may be Heavier, but metallicas better:dcool:
13.08.2006 - 03:53
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Ok, I say MegaDeth, And if you wanna know why just read My MegaDeth vs Metalica post, Because I don't want to Explain.

1.MegaDeth
2.Metalica
3.Anthrax
4.Slayer

MegaDeth- See Arian Totalis's post on the Metalica vs MegaDeth Thread

Metalica- Extremely good in their early Career and as much as I hate to admit it, Probably more influential than any of these Bands. (they even have a tight influence on me! )

Anthrax-Classic 80's Thrash band, fairly influential, and hold my utmost respect.

Slayer- Slayer is a talented group of people, probably cool guys, But one time they Came to an area Kind of close to where I live, and like every body whent to see the show, and was talking about it the next day, and I was burnt. So quite frankly, even though they're good, they can blow me.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
13.08.2006 - 04:00
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Guest on 12.08.2006 at 03:50

Metallica will always be the front band of the 80's cause of the good music they put out at that time. There is no other metal band that has a better album than any of those albums (kill'em all, ride the lightning, master of puppets, ...and justice for all (my favorite)). I listened to all of those four bands, every single album. the thing is that metallica (in the 80's) had something on the attitude, on the music, the atmosphere, etc. that took you to this whole other place. This other bands are absolutley amazing thats completely true but metallica was an example to follow until the black album. And all this bands did that, they compared themselves to metallica and they have always done that!! All those 90 million records metallica has sold its because of all the fame they gained in the 80's because of the excellent music they wrote in the 80's.

Man, I like metalica, and I won't deny they probably are the most influential, But to Say that all the other bands on this thread actually are metalica immitators, ESPECIALY MegaDeth, is Just simply not true.
As a matter of fact, MegaDeth origionaly was a project created to spite metalica, Dave Mustain was a pissed off teenager who wanted nothing but raw vengance on the planet earth, especially metalica, Not even to mention that anthrax and slayer hold completly different sounds than either of them, so please, don't go calling ANY of these Bands metalica immitators.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

13.08.2006 - 04:09
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Megadeath is not all that sweet, dave mustaine formed megadeath solely inspite of metallica and its garbage, granted mustaine can play guitar pretty awesomly but their not that great

Dude I can respect your oppinion, but to call MegaDeth Garbage? Come on!
I mean, as musicians, sure, Metalica is better, But when it comes the overall spirit of the band well.....
The Subject Matter of MegaDeths songs are a whole lot more political and spiritual oriented than Metalica, as to where metalica just wrote songs to write them for the most part. (Some do have depth)
The Music is still aranged and structured fairly decently, and if you listen to the Album "so far so good so what" you gotta admit the production is pretty danm good considering the conditions they had to record in.
So metalica is good, and Many feel they're better, But MegaDeth is a Whole hell of a lot more than Garbage.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

13.08.2006 - 14:07
Fetid Fetus
Account deleted
I myself have never been a fan of Megadeth, or Anthrax, so that leaves me with Metallica and Slayer. Out of the two, the definate favourite is Slayer. I lost my taste and respect for Metallica a long while ago. The last time I actually liked them was back in 3rd grade. As with Slayer, after many years they still reign strong... can't say too much for the new album (haven't exactly heard the whole album as of yet, but I can say that it's not their best), anyway, Slayer are definately supreme leader of the 4. (IMO).
15.08.2006 - 09:22
Thrash666
Metallica
People r always trying 2 say how they sold out and all this bullshit. Just shut the fuck up and get use 2 it being this way. Metallica this the best 80's thrash band. They put out the best albums and have made the biggest impact on the metal world. Slayer is right up there with Metallica, but Metallica still beats them. Anthrax and Megadeth were big bands too, but their stuff cant compete with Metallica.
Metallica reigns superme in the thrash world forever and ever.
----
LONG LIVE THASH!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. "Dimebag" Darrell Abott
Drink a "blacktooth" for Dimebag
18.08.2006 - 22:17
VaronoZz
Vampbaron
Metallica by far.. Its the only thrash metal band i ever liked
----
give praise for the blood it bled,
grant a rose for the dead...
04.09.2006 - 15:50
Metallica_rules
Account deleted
Metallica
Megadeth
Slayer
Anthrex

I dont think I even have to give arguements .... nothing comparea to the 4 albums and by the way jaymz and lars are cooler with their hair cut ...kirk looked like shit but now he got his hair back and fuck anybody who sais metallica are sellouts ....the 90s metallica isn't bad it's just different
01.10.2006 - 13:01
archtua
Account deleted
om like fine slayer are dam good buy like metallica the steel songs from megadeth and their not even as good as megadeth like anthrex are very good as is slayer but like metallica should be last then anthrex but it is a very hard choice to choose between slayer and megadeth but personally i would choose megadeth and have slayer secong :S
02.10.2006 - 18:10
Mariela.
Account deleted
Anthrax - I haven't listened to them that much...
Slayer - I have never liked them, don't like the singers voice that much.
Metallica - A really great band, but they haven't given me what Megadeth's given!
Megadeth - They are great live, they have awesome records and they've given me so much!
04.10.2006 - 05:07
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
metallica is the greatest band of the four. they may have lost it after the black album but prior to that they released some of the greatest albums in metal ie MOP. Lightning album, justice album.
best band ever!!
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
04.10.2006 - 09:57
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Remember people, your voting for the band on their material from the 80's
----

Hellcunt Smurf
04.10.2006 - 11:17
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
well if its just in the 80's that just assures my votye for Metallica. Their guitar work is awesome, drums are brilliant, and the bass, event hough it may be ahrd to hear is great.
their work in the 80's is the best!!
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
04.10.2006 - 13:06
DyNo!!
Account deleted
in this moment i vote for slayer, but if i was been in the 80's, i think my vote shall go to anthrax...
for sure not to megadeth, i hate dave mustaine with all my forces
10.10.2006 - 23:19
darksun
such a difficult choice.4 of the bands are legends.80's metallica was great in thrash but i am a big fan of slayer.Slayer always has a special place in thrashl.So i vote for them.
----
Dark is the sunlight,we cast the life together
Dark is the sunlight or I'm blind forever..
12.10.2006 - 06:10
?Bodomchild?
Well for me its Slayer cuz they kick ass and its very thrashy than Metallica cuz they have only 4 Thrasy albums so that its my opinion to choice Slayer and i dont have opinion from Megadeth and Anthrax cuz i dont heard both at all
----
asd
22.10.2006 - 01:18
marillionfan
Account deleted
Metallica is my favourite; their 80s albums are amazing, ahead of their time in my humble opinion. Great musicianship - I like the Hammet/Hetfield guitar duo (better than any from the other bands), great bass work from both Burton and Newsted, good drumming from Ulrich (although he's not better than the other drummers from the bands listed).
Megadeth comes second. Anthrax comes third and Slayer is my least favourite from the list. In my opinion, they were less creative and less (musically) adventurous than the other bands on the list.
26.10.2006 - 19:54
barryjones335
Account deleted
megadeth is by far my favorite thrash band of all time and my 2nd favorite overall. but i think anthrax deserves WAAAY more respect then that. slayer isnt as good as anthrax. sure the musicians in slayer are great but anthrax just has a more thrash feel and slayer songs just kind of sound the same. and fuck metallica!!!
05.12.2006 - 13:31
RavenLord
Looking at the question very closely, I'm going to answer thus:

Which is the best thrash metal band from the 80's

Right away, I'm afraid I'm going to have discard Anthrax. I'm unfamiliar with their material, and I don't want to place them bottom of a list without knowing more about them.

Now, the following albums fall into this category:

Megadeth
Killing Is My Business...And Business Is Good!
Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?
So Far, So Good...So What?

Slayer
Show No Mercy
Haunting The Chapel/Live Undead
Hell Awaits
Reign In Blood
South of Heaven

Metallica
Kill 'Em All
Ride The Lightning
Master Of Puppets
...And Justice For All

Right away, I'm focussing on Metallica's first two albums, rather than MoP and AJFA. Both of those two albums contain a lot more speed/heavy metal than thrash. Similarly, Megadeth's Rust In Peace is more technical speed metal than thrash.

So, Metallica's first two albums. They contain some of my favourite songs (Ktulu, Creeping Death, Four Horsemen, Fade to Black), but it is very influenced by Diamond Head...and a lot of it is written by Mustaine. It is also important to note that the tracks I mentioned (with the exception of CD and TFH) are not entirely thrash. Metallica were a good metal band in the 80's, sure, but they drifted away from thrash quite quickly.

Megadeth started late in the game (thanks to Dave getting kicked out of 'Tallica). His first album was, in essence, a resounding 'Fuck you!' to Metallica, and it wasn't until Peace Sells that he truly reached his potential. THAT is an amazing thrash album, what with The Conjuring, My Last Words, Wake Up Dead...all classics. SFSGSW is vastly underrated, with Set The World Afire, Mary Jane and Into The Lungs of Hell. However, Megadeth suffer the same problem as Metallica in response to this question; a narrow range of material that can be classed as 'thrash' (although this is really only because they came late into the scene).

So, now we have Slayer. From the word go, they're looking very strong...Show No Mercy is quite possibly their best album from the 80's (I'm a sucker for NWOBHM influences :p), and the addition of Captor of Sin, Chemical Warfare etc. early on in their career is incredible. Hell Awaits has one of the best intros in the history of metal, and Reign In Blood (though ridiculously over-fast and overrated) has some choice cuts. South Of Heaven just tops the cake (with some coherent speed!), and even though Seasons in the Abyss falls outside the category, the incredible focus of Slayer earns them my vote.

Plus, I love Jeff Heineman. His solo in 'The Antichrist' is easily one of Slayer's best, although they don't have the best solos around (WHAMMY!!!!11).

So, there you have it. Megadeth may be the most consistent band today, but Slayer get my vote for their face-blistering thrash.

Keep the Faith,
Raven
----
05.12.2006 - 13:42
RavenLord
(Sorry for the double post...I don't want to make my original any longer!)

Will people READ THE FUCKING QUESTION!

1. This is based on 80's material. That's 1980-December 31st, 1989, for those of you who grew up in a field. Metallica cutting their hair, Slayer turning into a hard punk band, Rust In Peace have nothing to do with it.

2. This is not about influence, so don't start quoting record figures. This is based on MUSIC, which band was the best thrash band based on their material from the 80's. If you believe that Metallica were the best thrash band, qualify it. Saying 'Oh, they're a great metal band' is not enough.

3. You cannot deny that Metallica's first two albums were heavily co-written by Dave Mustaine. However, I have never heard of Slayer 'steeling' [sic] material from Megadeth. That is a gross generalisation, as neither band sounds very similar to my ears. You wouldn't hear Slayer doing something like the solo from 'The Conjuring', and you wouldn't hear Megadeth doing something as blistering (and simple) as 'Chemical Warfare'

Seriously. Is it that difficult to relate your vote to the question? People must see the 'Big Four' and just start clicking madly on the one they fellate most.
----
06.12.2006 - 00:46
angel
Account deleted
to me metallicas and slayers work in the 80s is nearly identical.maybe i like metallica a bit more
06.12.2006 - 15:44
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Written by RavenLord on 05.12.2006 at 13:42

(Sorry for the double post...I don't want to make my original any longer!)

Will people READ THE FUCKING QUESTION!

1. This is based on 80's material. That's 1980-December 31st, 1989, for those of you who grew up in a field. Metallica cutting their hair, Slayer turning into a hard punk band, Rust In Peace have nothing to do with it.

2. This is not about influence, so don't start quoting record figures. This is based on MUSIC, which band was the best thrash band based on their material from the 80's. If you believe that Metallica were the best thrash band, qualify it. Saying 'Oh, they're a great metal band' is not enough.

3. You cannot deny that Metallica's first two albums were heavily co-written by Dave Mustaine. However, I have never heard of Slayer 'steeling' [sic] material from Megadeth. That is a gross generalisation, as neither band sounds very similar to my ears. You wouldn't hear Slayer doing something like the solo from 'The Conjuring', and you wouldn't hear Megadeth doing something as blistering (and simple) as 'Chemical Warfare'

Seriously. Is it that difficult to relate your vote to the question? People must see the 'Big Four' and just start clicking madly on the one they fellate most.

FINALLY!! Someone gets what im asking of this thread and the guidelines for it!!
I gave up getting pissed off with this thread trying to tell people to remember thats its the material from the 80's and nothing else.

Thank you for giving really thought out reasons
----

Hellcunt Smurf
07.12.2006 - 04:54
Eternal Flames
Wow, it's amazing how many people won't even bother reading the whole topic headline. Anyway, Metallica were at their peak in the 80's. I don't think one can like Megadeth and not like Metallica's 80's work. Anthrax were pretty good back in the 80's also. Spreading The Disease was one hell of an album. Although, when it comes to Slayer, my vote had to directly go to them. I mean, Show No Mercy, Hell Awaits, Reign in Blood and South of Heaven. One great release straight after the next. Every single one of those releases was just pure thrash and just amazing. I mean, if I was to rate every one of the these four bands' 80's releases and then average them out, it would look something like (in order from best to worst):

1. Slayer
2. Metallica
3. Megadeth
4. Anthax

The NWOBHM influence in Slayer's music really appealed to me. The frenzied solos, heavy riffs, the distortion and just pure intensity makes them the best Thrash band of the 80's in my opinion. Of course, nowadays my opinion would be different as all these four bands have taken new and different directions. But since the question does not ask that, I will not go there.
07.01.2007 - 04:56
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
Those four bands are some of the worlds best, but the best one in the 80's is clearly Metallica because of their wicked vocalist and lsong lyrics. Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets are the wickedest albums ever!
11.01.2007 - 08:59
Wings Of Hydra
Account deleted
That Have To Be Metallica...Im Not Soo Big On Thrash as i was back ago..tho im pretty shure that the genre is all but Exstinct...Ride The Lightning Is The Album That Got Me Into The Style and The Genre They Play..I Love All Their Work..right until they hit Reload...Im Not That Big on Slayer Nor Anthrax...just didnt feel it...but for those of u that do right on !! and finally that would leave me with Megadeth...Im not that big of a fan aswell for Megadeth...not that i hate them or anything...just like anthrax and Slayer..just dont really feel it....Had a killer time in High School with friends and what not listening to Metallica on The Way to school and on Lunch Breaks...Metallica
11.01.2007 - 09:02
Wings Of Hydra
Account deleted
just look at the Total Votes !! haha