Metal Storm logo
80's: Anthrax vs Megadeth vs Metallica vs Slayer

Original post

Posted by Xtreme Jax, 17.05.2006 - 15:38
So i wanted to know whos your favourite out of these four massive 80s thrash metal bands based ONLY on their material from that decade. Helps if you would explain on your choice.

The albums (not inclueding EP's) that are inclued from this decade are:

Anthrax:
Fistful of Metal
Spreading The Disease
Among The Living
State of Euphoria

Megadeth:
Killing Is My Business
Peace Sells... But Who's Buying
So Far, So Good... So What

Metallica:
Kill 'Em All
Ride The Lightning
Master Of Puppets
...And Justice For All

Slayer:
Show No Mercy
Hell Awaits
Reign In Blood
South Of Heaven

My favourite out of the list would be Slayer. They are my favourite thrash metal band and all their albums that came out in the 80s are my favourite albums and get played on a regular basis. Jeff's and Kerry's guitar work is amazing with the riffs that the two come up with... plus "Reign In Blood" is one of my favourite metal albums created.

Poll

Your favourite American thrash metal on their material from the 80s

Metallica
Slayer
Megadeth
Anthrax

Total votes: 590
01.04.2007 - 18:32
DoOm MaKeR
I vote for SLAYER coz they are one of the most evil and influential bands ever... not only within the thrash metal scene, but in all the other geners of life... there songs stayed and will stay as the paramount choice for any body to learn about metal, bass, drums, guitars vocals, and focus at solos!!! THey are incredible by all wut this word means... I mean, even that I am a doom metal fan, Slayer is one of my very favourite bands of all time! They introduced me to whut is called TRUE METAL! ( true metal is a word I use to describe the bands I like)
----
knowing that i'm doomed. hundreds of volumes of text. pictures, words, learning. my love, my art, my knowledge...covered by the arms of the sea.
Morgion - Ebb Tide
01.04.2007 - 21:03
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
I like all 4 bands, non is in my top top list, but they are all good.. Hm.. Anthrax vs Megadeth... Antrhax then.
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
01.04.2007 - 21:11
Bitch Boy
My vote goes for Metallica all the way, I have given lots of times my reasons for voting them in similar threads and polls.
04.04.2007 - 22:51
|Angela|
Account deleted
Kill 'Em All
Ride The Lightning
Master Of Puppets
...And Justice For All

Those 4 are enough reason to vote for Metallica for me.
23.05.2007 - 21:37
Metal_Fan_no.1
Account deleted
Master of Puppets is enough to make my choice
24.05.2007 - 11:13
Hamird
Lieutenant
Slayer was/is/will be the best thrash metal band. and my favourite album is reing of blood.
24.05.2007 - 16:04
High and Mighty
Account deleted
Metallica of course!

Even though i do love Slayer too, Metallica is the definition of thrash metal of the eighties.
24.05.2007 - 17:58
Lord TJ
Megadeth has my vote. Im not very much into Slayer or Metallica. Anthrax has switched singers many times, tends to make ones band lose originality.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
28.05.2007 - 00:12
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
SLAYERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
I saw them live a few months ago, they were fucking brutal.
31.05.2007 - 03:36
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Lord TJ on 24.05.2007 at 17:58

Megadeth has my vote. Im not very much into Slayer or Metallica. Anthrax has switched singers many times, tends to make ones band lose originality.

switched vocalists too many times?

This poll regards their 80's output - they switched vocalists once.

During that span, Megadeth switched how many musicians? Did the line-up changes impede their creativity? (well, actually, come to think of it, I guess it did with everything they released after "Rust In Peace")

Metallica had a change at bass... one could (very easily) argue that the loss of Cliff did a lot more to "drain their originality" than the loss of Turbin did to impact Anthrax.

Only SLAYER kept a static line-up for that time frame's recordings.

Furthermore, in regards to Anthrax, it's always been the Charlie and Scott show anyways... I doubt the singer had much input at all in their direction.

I am not arguing your choice of "MegaDave", but I'm incredulous as to your nonsensical reasoning with Anthrax...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
31.05.2007 - 03:48
APOHAKC
The Bard
Yeah I agree with BitterCold, Megadeth switched musician like socks on all albums until Rust In Peace

Guitars:
Greg Handevidt (1983-1984) - he didn't have much influence on music though
Kerry King (1984) - I didn't know he played n Megadeth
Chris Poland (1984-1987) - he made many great riffs, and he actually done much for this band
Mike Albert (1985)
Jeff Young (1988)
Marty Friedman (1990-1999) - everyone knows him

Drums:
Dijon Carruthers (1983)
Lee Rausch (1983-1984)
Gar Samuelson (1984 - 1987)
Chuck Behler
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
31.05.2007 - 04:19
Lord TJ
Written by BitterCOld on 31.05.2007 at 03:36

During that span, Megadeth switched how many musicians? Did the line-up changes impede their creativity? (well, actually, come to think of it, I guess it did with everything they released after "Rust In Peace")

Switched once? Take a look at Anthrax's profile.

1981 Jason Rosenfeld - vocals
1981 Dirk Kennedy - vocals
1981 John Connelly - vocals
1983-1984 Neil Turbin - vocals
1984-1992 Joey Belladonna - vocals

Thats more than once.

As for Megadeth Dave is still the guitarist and vocalist for Megadeth, in my opinion vocals are what keeps a bands originality. Megadeth still has the same sound, Musicians changing isnt much compared to vocalists changing.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

31.05.2007 - 06:04
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Lord TJ on 31.05.2007 at 04:19

Thats more than once.

As for Megadeth Dave is still the guitarist and vocalist for Megadeth, in my opinion vocals are what keeps a bands originality. Megadeth still has the same sound, Musicians changing isnt much compared to vocalists changing.

Only two of those vocalists appeared on an Anthrax album, and Neil only played on one album that only a somewhat small number of people have heard. Even though they changed personnel, the band still kept their fast and catchy style, and still maintained their original sound. Hell, both singers had high voices, even though Neil was clearly the better shrieker.
31.05.2007 - 08:27
BF
I dont like Anthrax so thats out the window, I can remember someone said that "Megadeth are as good as I used to think Metallica were" (dont ask me who said that I just agree with the sentiment). So by process of elimination I have Slayer and Megadeth to choose from. I prefer Megadeth on the whole but out of the eighties albums only I went Slayer. Mainly because of Reign In Blood. That album is popular, everyone knows it and not that many dislike it. That album alone helped me make my decision.
31.05.2007 - 19:52
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Lord TJ on 31.05.2007 at 04:19

Thats more than once.

The opening post lists the albums by which we are to judge the four bands in this poll. As Pyro pointed out, Neil appeared in one, Belladonna the rest. The other vocalists are immaterial.

Vocalists keep originality? Only in terms of keeping an "original" member and very little to do with sonic identity.

Metallica, Megadeth, and Slayer have retained the same vocalists from their first album onwards.

Anthrax hasn't.

Explain to me how "Risk" is more like 'original Megadeth' than "We've Come For You All" is original Anthrax.

All three's works over the past 15 years are don't stack up to what they did between '82 and '92. All have changed course - SLAYER and Anthrax arguably less so than Megadeth and Metallica.

Your point is moot.

Again, not arguing your choice of Megadeth, but the further you try to explain your thought process, the less I think of it.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.06.2007 - 00:17
Lord TJ
What I mean by originality is by sound. For example when Rob Halford left Judas Priest they brought in Tim Owens, the band wasnt so original because, well its obvious enough I dont need to explain.

I gotta apologize I didnt read the first post.
----

01.06.2007 - 01:16
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
I understand your point, but I think you missed mine.

First, how is sound = originality? I suppose a change in sound means the group in question no longer has their original (i.e. used in the 'initial' or 'first' sense of the word) sound - but that connotation also implies that anything subsequent to a change in sound is no longer original - even if it's something no one else has ever done before... of course in that situation, it is original in a different usage of the word.

Hello conundrum.

Rob Halford is a bad example to use in comparison to Anthrax. Rob was in Priest for how many albums before leaving? Turbin was in Anthrax for one.

A better example would have been Iron Maiden - who like Anthrax - cut an album (well, two) with a vocalist, Paul Di'Anno, then replaced him with another guy, Bruce Dickinson. Like Anthrax, Iron Maiden hit their stride with the second vocalist releasing their best works. Like Anthrax, they ultimately replaced the vocalist from their classic line up with another guy...

Would you call "Number of the Beast" or "Powerslave" unoriginal Maiden because of the vocalist change?

Was this 'unoriginal' Maiden, as it no longer sounded like they did prior, thanks to the switch in vocalist, therefore somehow worse for being 'unoriginal?'

The vocalist is merely one aspect of the sound.

Metallica and Megadeth have kept their vocalists, but both their sounds have changed drastically over the last 15 years. The vocalists have stayed the same, but I'll be damned if their song structures and instrumentation didn't change.

Is "Load" more 'original' than "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son"?

By the definition you've presented, it apparently is.

If that is the case, it's a shame they didn't tell James to concentrate on guitar and go out and hire another vocalist back in 1989... maybe if Metallica was less original, I might actually like the albums they've put out since 1990.
----

01.06.2007 - 01:31
Lord TJ
I must say, you make me read a lot lol.

I see your point, many bands undergo sound changes, its quite normal in my opinion, unless its a big jump. I guess with originality and vocalists its more of a depending situation.
----

15.07.2007 - 01:42
Dark Tormentor
Account deleted
Well, i dont think that keeping the line up makes the band to keep their originality cos there has been some old bands with the same line up that by the end they have a fucked up sound.

And i like Anthrax, Slayer and Megadeth eventhough they're not in my tops but my vote goes to megadeth!!!
And i dont find it fair all the fucked up things metallica did to Mustaine, they dont even give him credit for making some good songs in their firsts albums they just treated him like a temporal unecessary guy and now they're using him in his footage for their movie "some kind of mosnter" isn't that ironic?
16.07.2007 - 07:42
Torture Killer
Account deleted
Normally I would have said anthrax but I've been listening to Reign in Blood all day so i'll say Slayer
17.07.2007 - 13:02
I love every album from each band from the '80s but I voted for Anthrax because they were different than the other thrash bands at the time. They were really funny and had some really humoristic songs
17.07.2007 - 17:46
CrimsonSoaked
Account deleted
Slayer slays the rest
( Still don't deny the importance and "listenability" of the others )
18.07.2007 - 18:11
Infurnace
Based on their 80's material? Well, then it's going to be either Slayer or Megadeth for me.. I will vote Slayer, because their 80's material is pretty fast and aggressive, and I enjoy their 80's records the most.
20.07.2007 - 06:11
selken
Irreligious
Slayer, they are the most extreme of them
----
04.11.2007 - 00:52
Mad Laughter
Account deleted
Anthrax! Before this band sold out they were fucking great. Fistful of Metal and Among the Living have some great spirit to them! I have always been a huge fan of early Anthrax...it's what oldschool thrash is supposed to sound like.

After Anthrax comes Slayer, then Megadeth, then Metallica.
04.11.2007 - 20:03
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Hamird on 24.05.2007 at 11:13

Slayer was/is/will be the best thrash metal band. and my favourite album is reing of blood.

Are you joking? Both God Hates Us All and Christ Illusion were such trash, IS? Dear lord certainly not.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
05.11.2007 - 22:43
Woutjinho
Account deleted
SSLLAAYYEERR!!!!!

yes slayer did some crap as well. just for the rest of the bands. I never liked Megadeth. never listened to anthrax, never felt like it. Metallica did some okay stuff. but they certainly have the crappiest crap in metal ever made. (along with iced earth and trivium and these bands)
but slayer did boring stuff as well but kept metal. AND they did one good song since 2000... CULT great song

but what does it matter in this thread. its about the 80's. see, 80's, not this decennia
08.12.2007 - 14:59
Justice
master of puppets is enough for vote on METALLICA
08.12.2007 - 18:22
Demonmayonnaise
I voted for Slayer, cuz Reign in Blood was amazing
09.12.2007 - 02:57
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
Metallica blows the others to pieces. Met all the way.

I do like all of them though. Metallica is just better.
----
THRASH!!!