Metal Storm logo
80's: Anthrax vs Megadeth vs Metallica vs Slayer

Original post

Posted by Xtreme Jax, 17.05.2006 - 15:38
So i wanted to know whos your favourite out of these four massive 80s thrash metal bands based ONLY on their material from that decade. Helps if you would explain on your choice.

The albums (not inclueding EP's) that are inclued from this decade are:

Anthrax:
Fistful of Metal
Spreading The Disease
Among The Living
State of Euphoria

Megadeth:
Killing Is My Business
Peace Sells... But Who's Buying
So Far, So Good... So What

Metallica:
Kill 'Em All
Ride The Lightning
Master Of Puppets
...And Justice For All

Slayer:
Show No Mercy
Hell Awaits
Reign In Blood
South Of Heaven

My favourite out of the list would be Slayer. They are my favourite thrash metal band and all their albums that came out in the 80s are my favourite albums and get played on a regular basis. Jeff's and Kerry's guitar work is amazing with the riffs that the two come up with... plus "Reign In Blood" is one of my favourite metal albums created.

Poll

Your favourite American thrash metal on their material from the 80s

Metallica
Slayer
Megadeth
Anthrax

Total votes: 590
19.09.2008 - 19:35
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I have just watched a new documentary about Thrash Metal "Get Thrashed," and Dave Mustaine said he "affected three bands out of THE BIG FIVE." Well, I guess he meant Exodus and they probably do deserve that status. And the part of the movie about Exodus really showed them in that kind of light. So what do you think? BIG FIVE not FOUR?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
19.09.2008 - 19:40
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin

/facepalm
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
19.09.2008 - 19:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by K✞ulu on 19.09.2008 at 19:35

I have just watched a new documentary about Thrash Metal "Get Thrashed," and Dave Mustaine said he "affected three bands out of THE BIG FIVE." Well, I guess he meant Exodus and they probably do deserve that status. And the part of the movie about Exodus really showed them in that kind of light. So what do you think? BIG FIVE not FOUR?

Big four... there has never been a big five. Yes, Exodus were influential but weren't BIG, whereas the other four were HUGE. Mustaine is actually the only one in the world who calls it the big five. But he does give himself too much credit in that part of Get Thrashed. Okay he did influence Metallica (but not Krk, he got his idea from his time in Exodus) and Megadeth. And as for him influencing Kerry King that is highly debatable although King did help Megadeth otu a couple of times live when Megadeth were just starting.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.09.2008 - 20:49
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.09.2008 at 19:54

Written by K✞ulu on 19.09.2008 at 19:35

And as for him influencing Kerry King that is highly debatable although King did help Megadeth otu a couple of times live when Megadeth were just starting.

So it's possible that the inverse happened and Slayer (via Kerry King) might have had some influence on MegaDave... but egos need stroking, I guess.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
27.09.2008 - 14:57
Dragonforce89
Account deleted
Metallica is number 1 and Slayer its number 2 and Megadeth is 3rd.
Metallicas 80s its the best. Even Black Album was great but not Thrash.
If you would say 80s to 08 i would choose Slayer i think beacuse they still play Thrash..
27.09.2008 - 15:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 27.09.2008 at 14:57

This thread is about the 80s... so why mention Metallica - Metallica?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.09.2008 - 15:41
Dragonforce89
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.09.2008 at 15:18

This thread is about the 80s... so why mention Metallica - Metallica?

i know 80s Metallica it's best without them it wouldn't be any Thrashmetal today and they has only good song actually. Battery and Pulling Teeth it's the only 2 Thrashmetallica songs i really dislike.
27.09.2008 - 15:51
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 27.09.2008 at 15:41

i know 80s Metallica it's best without them it wouldn't be any Thrashmetal today and they has only good song actually. Battery and Pulling Teeth it's the only 2 Thrashmetallica songs i really dislike.

Really? Battery is hell of a song. It's Thrash to the core, and Pulling Teeth shows some talent actually, but that's all subjective.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

27.09.2008 - 16:43
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by K✞ulu on 27.09.2008 at 15:51

Really? Battery is hell of a song. It's Thrash to the core, and Pulling Teeth shows some talent actually, but that's all subjective.

Battery is a Masterpiece. Battery is the best song of S & M after "No Leaf Clover" too.
27.09.2008 - 17:11
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 27.09.2008 at 16:43

Battery is a Masterpiece. Battery is the best song of S & M after "No Leaf Clover" too.

Marcel will get you for mentioning S&M in this thread. It's only about 80's Metal , but I agree with you.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

27.09.2008 - 17:20
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by K✞ulu on 27.09.2008 at 17:11

Written by Guest on 27.09.2008 at 16:43

Marcel will get you for mentioning S&M in this thread. It's only about 80's Metal , but I agree with you.

and i mention "Eye oF The Beholder"
05.10.2008 - 16:41
Piere
Account deleted
I voted for Metallica, but it's a close call. Slayer should come in second i think, but I really think third place should go to Exodus, not Megadeth or Anthrax. Testament kicks ass too
20.10.2008 - 08:33
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
I can't chose so easily, Metallica is the Thrash king of the 80's (at first sight) but Slayer and Megadeth are great also, but... Anthrax... well, why does Anthrax deserves the title of one of the Big 4 of Thrash? Why not Testament or Exodus why?!?, by the way, sorry for my ignorance but... anyone here knows who the hell chose the bands for the Big 4 of Thrash???
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
20.10.2008 - 14:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Daggon on 20.10.2008 at 08:33

I can't chose so easily, Metallica is the Thrash king of the 80's (at first sight) but Slayer and Megadeth are great also, but... Anthrax... well, why does Anthrax deserves the title of one of the Big 4 of Thrash? (sorry Belladona fans) why not Testament or Exodus why?!?, by the way, sorry for my ignorance but... anyone here knows who the hell chose the bands for the Big 4 of Thrash???

Please re-read ALL the posts in this thread and you will find the answer. But because you are probably too lazy to do that I will once again explain.

Those 4 bands are called the big four of thrash because those four were the biggest selling and most influential thrash bands in the 80s. The term Big Four Of Thrash was first used in the eighties.
And yes Anthrax is way bigger and more influential than both Testament and Exodus ever will be.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.10.2008 - 21:57
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.10.2008 at 14:49

Written by Daggon on 20.10.2008 at 08:33

I can't chose so easily, Metallica is the Thrash king of the 80's (at first sight) but Slayer and Megadeth are great also, but... Anthrax... well, why does Anthrax deserves the title of one of the Big 4 of Thrash? (sorry Belladona fans) why not Testament or Exodus why?!?, by the way, sorry for my ignorance but... anyone here knows who the hell chose the bands for the Big 4 of Thrash???

Please re-read ALL the posts in this thread and you will find the answer. But because you are probably too lazy to do that I will once again explain.

Those 4 bands are called the big four of thrash because those four were the biggest selling and most influential thrash bands in the 80s. The term Big Four Of Thrash was first used in the eighties.
And yes Anthrax is way bigger and more influential than both Testament and Exodus ever will be.

Well that was kinda rude hahaha, but thanks, that was one of the biggest questions in my whole life (well not that big) haga, and by the way... yeah I'm lazy, but this time I was just passing by to make some comments, next time I promise I'll read the whole 250 posts of the thread while taking dinner and before studying for my next day exams hahha nah just kidding, and again, thanks, don't be so rude the next time.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
21.10.2008 - 21:21
Demonmayonnaise
Whats up with all the Anthrax haters? Personally I think they stand up to any of the other bands in the big four.
21.10.2008 - 21:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Demonmayonnaise on 21.10.2008 at 21:21

Whats up with all the Anthrax haters? ....

Maybe because they recorded I Am The Man and thus mixing thrash and rap as one of the first bands around? Maybe also their cartoonesque image?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.10.2008 - 21:31
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Also perhaps the recent fiascos regarding vocalists and guitarists, best of releases... maybe because of all that circus shit, folks too young to have been listening to Thrash in the 80's have avoided them.

i linked a bunch of youtubes earlier in the thread so those too lazy to have checked out Anthrax in their prime have the opportunity to do so.

i voted Slayer, as they are my favorites of the four based on 80's material, but i prefer Anthrax to either Metallica or Megadeth.
----

23.10.2008 - 10:38
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
As i see metallica was playing mainstreem at 80's. votes show that, it means they sold more at those times, so they were sell-out. Nowadays my eyes r opened wide and Im not an Idiot Metallica fanboy!
23.10.2008 - 17:32
Guib
Thrash Talker
Wow Man that choice is freaking HARD ! You're asking us to choose from the best Era (Albums) of the big 4. Its all my favs lol. Well i won't vote right away.. but i'll think about it a bit.. and come back with an answer.

Nice Topic though...
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
16.11.2008 - 07:16
Metalbound7
I voted for Metallica, it was hard because i hate them now. But in the late 80's Metallica was just titans, monsters, Gods. now... well they are just a bunch of old greedy fags that wears armani and cut their hair to fashinable styles.
16.11.2008 - 22:31
IronSlayer
Account deleted
Oh come on guys!!!!
Metallica is a great band
BUT THE BEST THRASH METAL BAND
OMGGGGG
SLAYER=UNDISPUTTED KINGS OF THRASH
17.11.2008 - 00:30
kaoshurrikane94
Account deleted

Metallica is number 1 and Slayer its number 2 and Megadeth is 3rd.
If you would say 80s to 08 i would choose Slayer i think beacuse they still play Thrash..

Yeah Metallica isnt as memorable anymore...same for Megadeth mostly..Slayers new song Psychopathy Red fuckin blew me away though...as for Anthrax not too big of a fan really.
21.11.2008 - 21:18
Dragonforce89
Account deleted
Guitar Hero Metallica gonna be th end for Metallcia beacuse all that never herd Metallica before and they gonna listen o 24/7 and its gonna be more overated. I dont hope GH Metallica brings Metallica to the death.
How can Metallica allow a game like that?
21.11.2008 - 21:18
Dragonforce89
Account deleted
Guitar Hero Metallica gonna be th end for Metallcia beacuse all that never herd Metallica before and they gonna listen o 24/7 and its gonna be more overated. I dont hope GH Metallica brings Metallica to the death.
How can Metallica allow a game like that?
27.11.2008 - 02:11
I WAS FIRST INTRODUCED TO SLAYER:banger::banger::banger::banger::banger::banger::banger::banger: ON COLLEGE RADIO IN CONNECTICUT(THE WITCHING HOUR)
----
PROPHETOFDOOM13
27.11.2008 - 05:37
laid2rest
Account deleted
It was a close one between Metallica and Slayer, but I settled on Slayer.

Megadeth? I like them but haven't heard any of their 80's work appart from Peace Sells...

Anthrax? have heard a bit of Among the Living. It was pretty good but couldn't quite get into it.
27.11.2008 - 08:46
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 27.11.2008 at 05:37

Megadeth? I like them but haven't heard any of their 80's work appart from Peace Sells...

Man, you like them without listening to their 80's stuff... Why did you vote then? But what's more important go check their two other albums out. I personally really like their debut.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

27.11.2008 - 09:10
Demonmayonnaise
Ktulu is right man. Megadeth's debut kicks ass. SFSGSW is pretty awesome too, very underrated.
27.11.2008 - 11:36
laid2rest
Account deleted
Written by K✞ulu on 27.11.2008 at 08:46

Written by Guest on 27.11.2008 at 05:37

Man, you like them without listening to their 80's stuff... Why did you vote then? But what's more important go check their two other albums out. I personally really like their debut.

Well Rust In Peace is enough to Like Megadeth I have Untied Abominatons and really like that album and I borrowed Rust In Peace and Peace Sells alond with a couple Slayer CD's from some 18 year old guy at my school and he said that if I didn't bring them back the next day he would rip my friends balls off and feed them to me. I scared my friend shitless by saying that I wasn't going to school the next day