06. Jester Script Transfigured
07. Morphing Into Primal
08. Worlds Within The Margin
09. Episode 666
10. Everything Counts [Depeche Mode cover]
11. Whoracle
12. Clad In Shadows '99 [deluxe version bonus]
13. Jotun [video] [deluxe version bonus]

1997's Whoracle was a huge step for the Swedish band In Flames as it was really a change in their peculiar sound. Even if you can hear it a little bit throughout their previous release, The Jester Race, this change is obvious on Whoracle.

First of all, I want to point out that Bjorn Gelotte played both guitars and drums on this album, which is unchanged compare to The Jester Race and a real performance. At this time, the line-up included three guitar players with Glenn Ljungstrom, Jesper Stromblad and Bjorn Gelotte.

The big difference if you compare Whoracle to The Jester Race is the production, obviously cleaner on this album. Plus I have to warn you that there are at least 3 different versions of Whoracle [?!?]: the original 1997 version, the Japanese version [,which includes the entire EP Black Ash Inheritance!!] and the 2002 re-release with as a bonus track 'Clad In Shadows' re-recorded in 1999. The fact is that apparently the original has never been re-mastered nor re-mix, and seeing that the original already has a perfect sound, that's not a surprise. To sum things up, each different version has the same production but, of course, the Japanese version is the best because it's basically two albums in one... So for these extra bonus tracks, have a look at my review of the Black Ash Inheritance EP.

Now, every single track has a different soul but the best songs are clearly the opener 'Jotun' [kind of comparable to 'Embody The Invisible' on Colony], 'The Hive' and 'Episode 666'. Apart from these three masterpieces, the instrumental 'Dialogue With The Stars' and 'Everything Counts' [a really good Depeche Mode cover!] are worth pointing out for theirs originality. And that's a real pleasure if you're a fan of Depeche Mode to recognize some lyrics ["everything counts... in large amount"]. I almost forget to mention the title track, which is a acoustic song, kind of an ethnic/tribal dance that is pretty strange closing track for a Death Metal album [even a Melodic Death Metal album...].

Whoracle is the first piece of a trilogy of splendid albums [with 1999's Colony and 2000's Clayman]. Unleashed melodic rage driven by technique on a solid rhythmic layer, a recipe mastered by In Flames on this very good album.

Written on 02.09.2003 by Bringing you reviews of quality music and interesting questions such as:

"A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words is a song worth?"

I have only got so much patience and skills, you do the math.

Staff review by
Herzebeth
Rating:
Talking about an In Flames album is very difficult, most people hate Music like this because is not pure Death Metal and say all kind of elitist stuff, Well Yes In Flames is not pure Death Metal I am sure, In Flames is what we call nowadays Gothenburg Metal or Melodic Death Metal, I am going to put all those things aside and I'll review this album in the most objective way , let's start shall we?

Read more ››
published 08.02.2005 | Comments (3)

Comments

Comments: 19   Visited by: 163 users
02.08.2006 - 19:39
Rating: 9
dark awakening

Great review! Mighty album!
----
Baptized in a lake of acid tears...
11.08.2006 - 03:19
Slottet av Take
Account deleted
Mighty album indeed....love every second of it! 8.5/10 is a respectable score for this album
14.12.2006 - 17:41
Shadow Of A Man
Account deleted
Great review although I would give it a perfect 10 this album is mind-blowing... it is tied for my favorite In Flames album with Lunar Strain...
27.12.2006 - 22:55
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
This album blew me away upon listening, this would have to be their best effort.

Also, I was not aware that "Everything Counts" is a cover, although I thought I had heard something similar, somewhere.:D
06.06.2007 - 16:01
Jotun_01
Account deleted
This has to be In Flames best album.
06.06.2007 - 18:04
Sunioj

This is classic man, probably my favorite in flames of all time. Episode 666, Jotunand Gyroscope are my favs from this.
05.07.2007 - 21:55
Rating: 10
BlankFile

Closer to the quality of Jester Race. Another amazing release of In Flames! Food for the Gods is a blasting and Brutal song! Anyway another perfect album...
31.08.2007 - 21:09
Mizer84
Account deleted
Features some of the best In Flames songs! It's diverse and includes some really tasty guitar work! Deserves a score of 9/10 in my opinion...
03.09.2007 - 17:13
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I would give it a 9 as well. "Gyroscope" is magical. What about the whole album? Magical!

In Flames showed their amazing ability to write good melodic songs.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
16.10.2007 - 00:41
In_tallica

well, what can i say... SICKLY GOOD ALBUM!
a milestone for the gothenburg sound and a sign of what in flames should sound like!
this album and ''the jester race'' have meant very much for me, both in my guitar playing and my musical enjoyence, 11/11 imo!!
22.04.2008 - 03:45
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
BEST In Flames album... my favorite songs in melo-death history are in there. Jotun, Jester Script Transfigured, Episode 666 and Gyroscope... this album deserves a 10.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
17.05.2009 - 13:30
Rating: 6
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
I this album i've heard some of the worst songs in flames ever wrote....
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
31.07.2012 - 22:00
Dogsbreakfast

I'll have to check these guys out as In Flames will be replacing Lamb of God at Heavy TO/Mtl this year. Hope this is a good starting point as I know zip about this band.
----
dogsbreakfast@hotmail.com
01.08.2012 - 03:02
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Dogsbreakfast on 31.07.2012 at 22:00

I'll have to check these guys out as In Flames will be replacing Lamb of God at Heavy TO/Mtl this year. Hope this is a good starting point as I know zip about this band.

Jester Race is slightly better than this, but this is also a classic in their discog. Worth it alone for 'Jotun'
01.08.2012 - 03:08
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 01.08.2012 at 03:06

I'd also recommend 'Food For Joe'.

I do too.
05.08.2012 - 05:19
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Agree this album is worth it alone for "Jotun" - what an album opener! Very good album all round.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
06.08.2012 - 01:06
Rating: 8
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 01.08.2012 at 03:02
Jester Race is slightly better than this, but this is also a classic in their discog. Worth it alone for 'Jotun'

In my case I can't decide between those two. Both quite incredible and both have some insanely memorable moments.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.10.2012 - 15:22
LordHypnos
Account deleted
This album is wonderful, although most tracks lack variation. Favorite songs: Jotun, The Hive, Jester Script Transfigured, Episode 666.
21.01.2013 - 04:57
Epictemptation

Favorite album from them e
----

Hits total: 12355 | This month: 13