+ All Nightmare Long
+ Cyanide
+ The Unforgiven III
+ The Judas Kiss
+ Suicide & Redemption
+ My Apocalypse

The Best Heavy Metal Album Of 2008 /The Biggest Surprise Of 2008

Additional info
Recorded from 12 March 2007 to May 2008 in Los Angeles, California by Greg Fidelman and Mike Gillies.
Produced by Rick Rubin and Metallica.
Mixed by Greg Fidelman and Andrew Scheps.
Mastered by Ted Jensen.

Piano by James Hetfield.
Strings arranged and conducted by David Campbell.

Staff review by
destroyah
Rating:
It's always very difficult to analyze what Metallica has created, seems as normal criteria doesn't apply to them, so I might as well just get this off my chest - if ?Death Magnetic" wasn't a Metallica album, I would probably rate it pretty darn close to ten stars. However, since I too have the impressive legacy of their previous works to consider, I will not. This of course technically makes me a whore - that's fair, I digest. But numbers and stars aside, do I think this is a good album?

Read more ››
published 12.09.2008 | Comments (146)

Guest review by
BobNickMad
Rating:
Metallica made fans to wait 5 years for a new album,again.The first Wait was between ''Metallica'' and ''Load'',the second was between ''Garage inc.'' and ''St.Anger''. And the last one between ''St.Anger'' and this album:''Death Magnetic''. ''Load'' and ''St.Anger'' were disappointments, is ''Death Magnetic'' another disappointment? Hell no.

Read more ››
published 04.05.2009 | Comments (31)

Guest review by
Lupas
Rating:
After St. Anger's dismal fallout, Metallica definitely needed to shake their foundations if they were going to retain their fame, fortune and most of all, their following. Luckily, they did, and quite efficiently too, as new album Death Magnetic distinctly restores their credibility.

To help themselves out, they brought in major league producer Rick Rubin (of Slayer, System Of A Down and Johnny Cash fame), who seems to have gauged the perfect balance between the grittier edge of Metallica's classic sound circa And Justice For All and the music they tried (not so successfully) to inject into St Anger.

Read more ››
published 03.01.2010 | Comments (18)

Found in 63 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 96   Visited by: 2311 users
29.01.2010 - 17:56
bmthftw
I serriously dont see how people can listen to metalica, they sound like coldplay, and they were better when the lead singner was an alcoholic. just my oppinion
29.01.2010 - 17:58
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Yeaj their new stuff isn't as great as their old stuff from the 80's
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
30.01.2010 - 11:19
Reza
Account deleted
Written by Boxcar Willy on 29.01.2010 at 17:58

Yeaj their new stuff isn't as great as their old stuff from the 80's

Of course. But at least Death Magnetic is better than ST. Anger !
01.02.2010 - 15:25
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Damn straight!
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
10.02.2010 - 17:11
Rating: 6
elekctric
I really looked forward to it because of Trujillo ... but it is average anyhow better than the last 4 ....
17.05.2010 - 10:36
metalduster
I really liked load and reload not because im a metallica fan but because i found them good albums-But this one(death magnetic), i never ever thought metallica would make it..It is just untypical..impossible...St anger is also FLOP..I mean did they actually do it?Two worst albums in history
19.06.2010 - 18:06
Rating: 8
Jay-WalKeR
I after "Unforgiven 1", "Unforgiven 3" more like the "Unforgiven 2" song had the greatest sense of frustration.
In this album, James once again writing poetry can be shown to everyone.
12.07.2010 - 20:17
Rating: 10
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Really cant say it doesnt deserve a 10
----
Kiss my ass if you dont like me, I dont care.
13.07.2010 - 00:16
Rating: 5
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
13.07.2010 - 11:39
Rating: 7
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Zombie on 13.07.2010 at 00:16

----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
22.07.2010 - 07:28
This is a true thrash classic from the opening riff of that was just your life.AT least metallica could still play what they fucken created twenty five years ago Hail metallia:banger2:
22.07.2010 - 09:10
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by bmthftw on 29.01.2010 at 17:56

I serriously dont see how people can listen to metalica,they sound like coldplay, and they were better when the lead singner was an alcoholic. just my oppinion

That ridiculous comment just makes you sound like the many moronic metalheads who just bash Metallica because its "cool" to do so. Anyone with working ears can tell the difference between Metallica and Coldplay.
22.07.2010 - 12:44
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Disposable Hero on 22.07.2010 at 07:28

This is a true thrash classic from the opening riff of that was just your life.AT least metallica could still play what they fucken created twenty five years ago Hail metallia:banger2:

How about no?
----
22.07.2010 - 13:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Disposable Hero on 22.07.2010 at 07:28

How can this album be a thrash classic when most of the music on it isn't even thrash? Just plain heavy metal. And quite badly written and extremely poorly producded.
And this album comes nowhere near to tthe true Metallica classics, not even close to the average And Justice and the self-titled one.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.07.2010 - 03:50
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Its glam metal or whatever! its a good album, genres are for idiots not for music lovers. nowadays ppl are trying to act like experts by criticizing albums and bands by genres. this is not pure thrash metal, this is not Black Metal (its symphonic black metal ) or in this case its heavy metal, and almost all ppl who are trying to say its heavy think its a medicore album and nothing special, for those kind of ppl Im so sorry because nothing is wrong with Heavy Metal as I know. its thrash or not? who cares? lets talk about its music and not about production or genre plz! my ears are full of those whiny kids.
----
23.07.2010 - 03:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Elyar S. on 23.07.2010 at 03:50

Its glam metal or whatever! its a good album, genres are for idiots not for music lovers. nowadays ppl are trying to act like experts by criticizing albums and bands by genres. this is not pure thrash metal, this is not Black Metal (its symphonic black metal ) or in this case its heavy metal, and almost all ppl who are trying to say its heavy think its a medicore album and nothing special, for those kind of ppl Im so sorry because nothing is wrong with Heavy Metal as I know. its thrash or not? who cares? lets talk about its music and not about production or genre plz! my ears are full of those whiny kids.

This is heavy metal but mediocre heavy metal at that.

Okay let's talk about the music on here... it IS mediocre. If an unknown band had released this people would ignore it. But because it has the name of Metallica attached to it people all of a sudden think it is good and a return to their old days. NO it is not a return. Shoddy song with shoddy solos and even worse drumming.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.07.2010 - 04:06
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.07.2010 at 03:54

Okay let's talk about the music on here... it IS mediocre. If an unknown band had released this people would ignore it. But because it has the name of Metallica attached to it people all of a sudden think it is good and a return to their old days. NO it is not a return. Shoddy song with shoddy solos and even worse drumming.

no absolutely not, exactly its bad because it has the name of Metallica! because its just very true metallers who hate Metallica nowadays and the reason is that every kind of ppl love some Metallica songs. ppl fucked St.Anger as I remember! ppl arent sheep and we are the ppl too, none of us is special or expert or whatever, I hate these nonsense things. Death Magnetic is one of the best albums of the Decade as Black Album was one of the best albums of the ex Decade (experts consider it as Rock not metal, kiss my ass I dont care about the genres, Good Music thats all), love it or hate it.
----
23.07.2010 - 14:39
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Elyar S. on 23.07.2010 at 04:06

no absolutely not, exactly its bad because it has the name of Metallica! because its just very true metallers who hate Metallica nowadays and the reason is that every kind of ppl love some Metallica songs. ppl fucked St.Anger as I remember! ppl arent sheep and we are the ppl too, none of us is special or expert or whatever, I hate these nonsense things. Death Magnetic is one of the best albums of the Decade as Black Album was one of the best albums of the ex Decade (experts consider it as Rock not metal, kiss my ass I dont care about the genres, Good Music thats all), love it or hate it.

Yes, and experts also think Fred Durst is a better vocalist than Tim "Ripper" Owens. (Hit Parader, anyone?)

Best albums of the decade? Not this one though. XD Or at all, really. It's actually pretty average when you look at it, but it's kind of enjoyable (hence the 7 from me). It's nothing special though, so a 9 is crazy.
----
23.07.2010 - 20:46
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by vezzy on 23.07.2010 at 14:39

Yes, and experts also think Fred Durst is a better vocalist than Tim "Ripper" Owens. (Hit Parader, anyone?)

Best albums of the decade? Not this one though. XD Or at all, really. It's actually pretty average when you look at it, but it's kind of enjoyable (hence the 7 from me). It's nothing special though, so a 9 is crazy.

*one of the best* not the best. Im crazy.
----
23.07.2010 - 20:54
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Elyar S. on 23.07.2010 at 20:46

Written by vezzy on 23.07.2010 at 14:39

*one of the best* not the best. Im crazy.

Yes, I was referring that it isn't one of the best.
----
28.07.2010 - 05:41
Damage inc.
Easly best album of the decade
28.07.2010 - 15:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Damage inc. on 28.07.2010 at 05:41

Maybe for Metallica but not for metal in general.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.07.2010 - 20:03
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.07.2010 at 15:37

Maybe for Metallica but not for metal in general.

----
29.07.2010 - 00:05
Elyar S.
Gud är Död

I cant say that its better than Brave New World as I can think right now.
----
29.07.2010 - 01:44
InnerSelf
proofread free
Isn't the Metallica discussion getting a bit too silly and eye-popping boring .
I am positively sure that Marcel among many other older metalheads have had this discussion about when Metallica went shit and why is Death Magnetic not the album of the decade a million time before and sadly will have to go through it again every time Metallica gains a new "younger" fan
the album is average , a couple of good songs some nice ones and some utter crap with the ear torturing loud drums and the "hey we are a metal band from USA" riffs
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
29.07.2010 - 01:59
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by InnerSelf on 29.07.2010 at 01:44

"hey we are a metal band from USA" riffs

if I was them I would say "hey we are the reason that 90% of you listen yo metal"
----
29.07.2010 - 02:12
InnerSelf
proofread free
And again we go through the "Metallica is the reason Metal exists" as if Metal would not have evolved if Metallica did not exist
I know Metallica has a huge influence on Metal and I know most Metalheads lose their virginity to Metallica but come on . without any disrespect to this once great band they now almost suck "at some occasions they actually suck hard"
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
29.07.2010 - 02:40
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by InnerSelf on 29.07.2010 at 02:12

And again we go through the "Metallica is the reason Metal exists" as if Metal would not have evolved if Metallica did not exist
I know Metallica has a huge influence on Metal and I know most Metalheads lose their virginity to Metallica but come on . without any disrespect to this once great band they now almost suck "at some occasions they actually suck hard"

yes its right that they can suck now or they can even suck in Master of Puppets too! different ppl different views.
----
18.08.2010 - 10:11
ArasHP4
Metallica : WE DAIE HARD:banger:
----
-Welcome, to a world of hate
A life of buried dreams
Smothered, by the soils of fate
Welcome, to a world of pain
Bitterness your only wealth
The sand of time kicked in your face
-Rubbed in your facen
24.11.2010 - 12:08
Bovinus
I must admit I misjudged this album. Listened to it once, a couple of months ago, then concluded it had shitty sound, and let it rot somewhere on a shelf. Listened to it yesterday again, with some attention, and thought : whoa ! Without "The day that never comes" and this atrocious third "Unforgiven", I guess I would have given it a 9. The sound is really average though, and it lacks a tad of creativity, but it's still good shit. Not as great as Ride or MoP fore sure, but good enough.

Hits total: 44303 | This month: 91