+ All Nightmare Long
+ Cyanide
+ The Unforgiven III
+ The Judas Kiss
+ Suicide & Redemption
+ My Apocalypse

The Best Heavy Metal Album Of 2008 /The Biggest Surprise Of 2008

Additional info
Recorded from 12 March 2007 to May 2008 in Los Angeles, California by Greg Fidelman and Mike Gillies.
Produced by Rick Rubin and Metallica.
Mixed by Greg Fidelman and Andrew Scheps.
Mastered by Ted Jensen.

Piano by James Hetfield.
Strings arranged and conducted by David Campbell.

Staff review by
destroyah
Rating:
It's always very difficult to analyze what Metallica has created, seems as normal criteria doesn't apply to them, so I might as well just get this off my chest - if ?Death Magnetic" wasn't a Metallica album, I would probably rate it pretty darn close to ten stars. However, since I too have the impressive legacy of their previous works to consider, I will not. This of course technically makes me a whore - that's fair, I digest. But numbers and stars aside, do I think this is a good album?

Read more ››
published 12.09.2008 | Comments (146)

Guest review by
BobNickMad
Rating:
Metallica made fans to wait 5 years for a new album,again.The first Wait was between ''Metallica'' and ''Load'',the second was between ''Garage inc.'' and ''St.Anger''. And the last one between ''St.Anger'' and this album:''Death Magnetic''. ''Load'' and ''St.Anger'' were disappointments, is ''Death Magnetic'' another disappointment? Hell no.

Read more ››
published 04.05.2009 | Comments (31)

Guest review by
Lupas
Rating:
After St. Anger's dismal fallout, Metallica definitely needed to shake their foundations if they were going to retain their fame, fortune and most of all, their following. Luckily, they did, and quite efficiently too, as new album Death Magnetic distinctly restores their credibility.

To help themselves out, they brought in major league producer Rick Rubin (of Slayer, System Of A Down and Johnny Cash fame), who seems to have gauged the perfect balance between the grittier edge of Metallica's classic sound circa And Justice For All and the music they tried (not so successfully) to inject into St Anger.

Read more ››
published 03.01.2010 | Comments (18)

Found in 63 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 4

Comments: 96   Visited by: 2311 users
24.11.2010 - 14:32
RavenKing
Written by InnerSelf on 29.07.2010 at 02:12

And again we go through the "Metallica is the reason Metal exists" as if Metal would not have evolved if Metallica did not exist
I know Metallica has a huge influence on Metal and I know most Metalheads lose their virginity to Metallica but come on . without any disrespect to this once great band they now almost suck "at some occasions they actually suck hard"

Just read my last posts on the "most underrated/overrated bands" thread if you want to know what I think of this mentality. Shortly put: I think, like you seem to believe too, that metal would have evolved and would be pretty much the same, Metallica or not. There were bands playing the same style even long ago, many of them better than Metallica.
I'm not denying Metallica's influence but I say it is overestimated. Anyway, after AJFO, all the influence Metallica had is at showing it is possible for a former metal band to make lots of money by turning to commercial sellouts and releasing crap for the masses. So, most of Metallica's influence on the metal scene is a negative one and, if you ask me, they deserve much more hate than praise for it. Personnally, I will always hate Metallica no matter what.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
25.11.2010 - 19:49
Rating: 6
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by RavenKing on 24.11.2010 at 14:32

Written by InnerSelf on 29.07.2010 at 02:12

And again we go through the "Metallica is the reason Metal exists" as if Metal would not have evolved if Metallica did not exist
I know Metallica has a huge influence on Metal and I know most Metalheads lose their virginity to Metallica but come on . without any disrespect to this once great band they now almost suck "at some occasions they actually suck hard"

Just read my last posts on the "most underrated/overrated bands" thread if you want to know what I think of this mentality. Shortly put: I think, like you seem to believe too, that metal would have evolved and would be pretty much the same, Metallica or not. There were bands playing the same style even long ago, many of them better than Metallica.
I'm not denying Metallica's influence but I say it is overestimated. Anyway, after AJFO, all the influence Metallica had is at showing it is possible for a former metal band to make lots of money by turning to commercial sellouts and releasing crap for the masses. So, most of Metallica's influence on the metal scene is a negative one and, if you ask me, they deserve much more hate than praise for it. Personnally, I will always hate Metallica no matter what.

This is almost everything that needs to be said about Metallica, that being said I am still a fan of their older stuff "as most of metalheads are "
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
03.12.2010 - 17:15
JD
Account deleted
Wow!! it's really not bad as some assholes told me! it's really a good album.
17.01.2011 - 00:02
metalduster
3 over 10-Album stinks
18.01.2011 - 01:17
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
Metallica is dead.
22.01.2011 - 23:04
Vivi'
I'm not going to share my opinion on the band or the album, but is anybody else disgusted by the vocals? Where did they come from????
25.01.2011 - 03:15
JCJen7
Quote:

If an unknown band had released this people would ignore it. But because it has the name of Metallica attached to it people all of a sudden think it is good and a return to their old days.

You are good at making your statements sound like fact. However, that is your own opinion/prediction, and completely contradicts what the staff review says.
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
25.01.2011 - 04:00
RavenKing
Written by Vivi' on 22.01.2011 at 23:04

I'm not going to share my opinion on the band or the album, but is anybody else disgusted by the vocals? Where did they come from????

I never liked Hetfield but he was much better than that in his young days.
He really sucks big time on "Death Magnetic".
----
25.01.2011 - 04:01
RavenKing
Written by JCJen7 on 25.01.2011 at 03:15

Quote:

If an unknown band had released this people would ignore it. But because it has the name of Metallica attached to it people all of a sudden think it is good and a return to their old days.

You are good at making your statements sound like fact. However, that is your own opinion/prediction, and completely contradicts what the staff review says.

It is fact enough for me.
----
25.01.2011 - 08:14
Vivi'
Written by RavenKing on 25.01.2011 at 04:00

That's what I'm talking about - his old vocals are annoying, but those are much worse.
25.01.2011 - 14:25
RavenKing
Written by Vivi' on 25.01.2011 at 08:14

Written by RavenKing on 25.01.2011 at 04:00

That's what I'm talking about - his old vocals are annoying, but those are much worse.

I heard that he blew up a vocal chord or something some years ago. That would explain how weak and awful vocals are on "Death Magnetic".

This is a problem common to several old bands: how vocals start to sound weak because the vocalist is too old and his vocal chords have much less power than years ago.
Tom Araya has the same problem.
Mille Petrozza can still pull out decent vocals but he shows signs of aging.

I think some old bands should hire a younger vocalist to fix this problem.
----
25.01.2011 - 15:18
JD
Account deleted
"I think some old bands should hire a younger vocalist to fix this problem."

looool ok let's change James, if you don't like his voice
or Dave maybe?, maybe Tom?
25.01.2011 - 23:41
Vivi'
Hm, I haven't thought about Mille, by favourite old guy Maybe you're right.
26.01.2011 - 00:05
Rating: 8
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Mille's vocals aren't as good as they once were either. Every vocalist's voice will deteriorate with time and age. And the more extreme your vocals are, the quicker you'll wear it out. I still think Mille sounds quite adequate though, even if his vocals dont have quite the same level of venom and bite that they had on the first few albums. xD
15.02.2011 - 20:16
Rating: 9
Phantom Lord
Way better then World Painted Blood and End Game
Phantom Lord
Phantom Lord
23.02.2011 - 17:28
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Patience. Some people don't have enough to check whether their post has already appeared. Twice.

I've never been a Metallica fan (RTL was awesome, MoP was pretty good), but since Death Magnetic had been sitting on the shelf in the shop for years now, I decided to give it a listen today. And now I know why it's been sitting on the shelf for 2 years.
04.04.2011 - 21:00
Kenos
Account deleted
Often acclaimed as their return to thrash roots. Well, where the fuck is thrash metal in this album? This is lurid. Vapid. Fake. Trash metal, more like. And at times I even found "St. Anger" to be almost more enjoyable, but hey, after all it's like comparing a terrorist manure bombardment to an apocalyptic flood of diarrhoea.

A ridiculous band that only managed to make good coasters over the last 20 years.
24.04.2011 - 09:47
Rating: 5
rise447
Music:3
Vocals:7
Lyrics:5
Melody:3
Production:8
Originality:3
CD Cover:9
My top 5:
1. Broken, Beat & Scarred
2. Cyanide
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?
Metallica are out of juice.They've got nothing left and they'll never reach what they had before.
Bad album.
24.04.2011 - 15:46
jpwiseguy
Account deleted
Harsh...

I think it's a great album myself, but I agree it is not their best. However, I can really hear some of their influences in this one...bands like Misfits, Danzig, Mercyful Fate, Diamond Head, Black Sabbath. In fact, some of the melodic stuff Kirk does in this album sounds like it would fit right in on any of their mid - late 80's albums. I've been listening to Metallica since Ride the Lightning came out, and I honestly don't understand all of the Metallica hatered. Yes, they have fooled around with their style quite a bit over the last 20 years, and yes, St. Anger was sub-par, but what do you people expect? Master of Puppets over and over again for 25+ years? It is called expirimentation, and alot of great bands have done it at one point or another, successful or not. IMO, we have a big problem in metal nowadays, and this that alot of metal bands nowadays are a carbon copy of each other. There seems to be an endless sea of bands sticking to that tried and true, generic death metal growling and screaming accompanied by boring, simple guitar and drum work that only focuses on being as brutal sounding as possible (with the exception of few who I believe stand out above the rest: Arch Enemy, Opeth, Skeletonwitch, and Amon Amarth to just name a few), scared to wonder off the beaten path, or put any complexity of emotion into their music, and because of that, it is good to see Metallica is still around making music and touring.

Anyways, stay metal my friends...
21.06.2011 - 23:14
Rating: 10
This album is great comeback of Metallica, maybe some 'metalheads' told you, it's bad or worst album, but you know what?, it's bullshits. Make more than one quick listening and you'll see that Death Magnetic is really great album.
01.09.2011 - 19:16
aerobat97
Best Metallican album since the black album IMO
06.10.2011 - 16:32
Death_95
Underrated.
06.10.2011 - 17:07
Rating: 7
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by aerobat97 on 01.09.2011 at 19:16

Best Metallican album since the black album IMO

That's not so hard to achieve...
06.10.2011 - 19:50
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Death_95 on 06.10.2011 at 16:32
Underrated.

You're implying that it's good or something.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
07.10.2011 - 01:14
@gent_-_orange
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.10.2011 at 19:50

Written by Death_95 on 06.10.2011 at 16:32
Underrated.

You're implying that it's good or something.

It gets such high reviews IMO because it has to be compared to the garbage they released in the 90's, on its own this album is nothing special. If it didn't have the words "Metallica" on it no one would give a shit.
07.10.2011 - 01:44
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by @gent_-_orange on 07.10.2011 at 01:14
It gets such high reviews IMO because it has to be compared to the garbage they released in the 90's, on its own this album is nothing special. If it didn't have the words "Metallica" on it no one would give a shit.

I'd say it also gets a lot of unnecessary bashing just because the word "Metallica" is on it. Therefore, I think this album is overrated in certain quarters and unfairly maligned in others. When it comes to Metallica, they seem to incite very extreme reactions one way or the other. As somebody said to me not long ago, Metallica are in a position now that no matter what they release, it will be bashed in some quarters because of the level of hatred some metalheads have for them. And I completely agree with that.
07.10.2011 - 01:55
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Angelic Storm on 07.10.2011 at 01:44
I'd say it also gets a lot of unnecessary bashing just because the word "Metallica" is on it.

Exactly. It goes both ways, that's what happens when you make it big. You can never please everyone, but you can always disappoint someone.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
07.10.2011 - 02:02
@gent_-_orange
Written by Angelic Storm on 07.10.2011 at 01:44

Written by @gent_-_orange on 07.10.2011 at 01:14

I'd say it also gets a lot of unnecessary bashing just because the word "Metallica" is on it. Therefore, I think this album is overrated in certain quarters and unfairly maligned in others. When it comes to Metallica, they seem to incite very extreme reactions one way or the other. As somebody said to me not long ago, Metallica are in a position now that no matter what they release, it will be bashed in some quarters because of the level of hatred some metalheads have for them. And I completely agree with that.

I realise it is the in thing to bash Metallica, But I really tried to like this album and unfortunately it came off as mediocre for me. But I would say that this band is in a position that they could release anything that remotely resembles the glory days and it would have been hailed as an excellent return to form. Which for me it simply is not, I will say that this album is way better than anything released after AJFA, But I still think its nothing special, which for me just shows for me how bad they got during the 90's.

So all in all I would say that this album is neither as bad (nor as good) as people make it out to be. Its all opinions at the end of the day though

Hits total: 44309 | This month: 97