Metal Storm logo
Looking for Songs/Bands with Christian/Spiritual lyrics

02.08.2006 - 21:42
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Hey guys!

So as the title says, I am looking for songs and or bands that have lyrics with a Christian or Spiritual message to them. Now, the bands does not have to be "Christian" for this. The reason I am looking for them is I am trying to build a large collection for worship, and any suggestions will be most helpful.

Some of the songs I currently use are:

'Crucify' - James LaBrie
'Safe Home' - Anthrax
'Image of the Invisible' - Thrice
'In Christ' - Living Sacrifice
'Superior' - Extol
'Rose Of Sharyn' - Killswitch Engage
'Fields of Despair' -DragonForce
'Fight' -Gamma Ray
'1000 Apologies' Demon Hunter
'In My Time Of Need' - Opeth
'Take Away My Pain' - Dream Theater
'Passion' - Stryper
'Recreation Day' - Evergrey
'I Will Follow' - Fear Factory
'Someone Else?' -Queensryche

The metal style doesn't matter. It can be Power metal to Black Metal.

Thanks for all your help,
Hemlock
----
(space for rent)
03.08.2006 - 00:09
Damnated
Churchburner
Paramaecium slow, death/doom, almost funeral doom like, has some Christian themes going on. The music is good.

Orphaned Land prog/melo death with folk influences, they sing a lot about religions and stuff

Alkonost don't know much about them, only that their Russian, and on somepoint they play Christian themed metal

Slechtvalk pretty good band, worth cheking out, their music is often called 'Un' black metal
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
03.08.2006 - 00:35
Vanwarp
Orphaned Land - Mabool
Tourniquet - Where Moth and Rust Destroy
Living Sacrifice - Conceived in Fire
----
"Only sick music makes money today." Friedrich Nietzsche, German philosopher (1844 - 1900)
03.08.2006 - 00:42
Torelli
If you are looking for christian metalbands i suggest that you visit http://www.firestream.net/ , a christian community for christian metalheads. This link lead directly to the bands/musicians/labels section: http://www.firestream.net/fs_rate.php

I would like to recomend the bands: Crimson Moonlight, black metal from Sweden, Mortification, death metal from Australia and, if the lyrics doesn't have to be in english, Holy Blood from Ukraine which plays folk/black metal and sings in ukrainian.

Good luck with your search!
03.08.2006 - 02:11
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
Some songs:

Place of Skulls - Silver Cord Breaks; With Vision
Tool - Wings for Marie (Pt 1); 10,000 days (Wings Pt 2); Lateralis
Opeth - Atonement
Sleep - Jerusalem (or Dopesmoker, the lyrics really arent very different in those songs/albums)
03.08.2006 - 02:27
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
NOVA ERA - Angra. This song have a really great message!
03.08.2006 - 02:38
Nyctophobia
Account deleted
Iron Maiden's Sign of the Cross.

Although I would grab the live version from the Rock N' Rio cd, because the studio version was done with Blaze Bayley.
03.08.2006 - 16:47
alexander
Account deleted
actually i dont listen to this kind of music coz i dont belive in god and all that, but there is a band called Avantasia, the lead singer Tobias Sammet, the albums called Metal Opera 1 and 2, sure the name of albums sound banal, but its good, i liked it. And the lyrics are, like a, diologs between a angels and- something like it. Take care.
03.08.2006 - 19:16
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Thanks guys. Oh, on a side note, it would be great if you could could maybe post some of the lyrics, and also tell me why you chose them, and what style they are, like what Damnated did. thanks.
----
(space for rent)
03.08.2006 - 21:56
Endoftherainbow
Like Damnated said a band fits your description really well is Orphaned Land especially the album Mabool since it's pretty much a concept album based on one of the books from the Old Testament I believe since it's about Noah and the floods. If it's not about that it's very similar to it.
04.08.2006 - 01:19
Damnated
Churchburner
I'm stupid, and I forgot Adagio, this great prog band from France. Their lyrics about philosphy and religion, I wouldn't say that very deep, but the music is very good.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
04.08.2006 - 03:38
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
In extremo has some religious songs, like Madre Dues, Santa Maria or Sefardim (This one is jewish).
And no one has mentioned Stryper! That christian Heavy Metal, it's here on MS, you should check it out, Hemlock.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
04.08.2006 - 05:34
Nyctophobia
Account deleted
I recently discovered a band called Whitecross. They play glam metal similar to the Scorpions, Cinderella and Poison, which I readily enjoy.

This is site has many if not all of their lyrics.
http://www.pencible.com/whitecross/

Another Iron Maiden song of interest is their remake of Coleridge's poem, Rime Of The Ancyent Marinere. Coleridge was a religious man and this influenced a few of his works, the ancyent marinere's tale among them.

Below are links to the original song I posted, and to the adaptation of the poem.
http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/ironmaiden/rockinrio.html#8 - Sign Of The Cross
http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/ironmaiden/liveafterdeath.html#7 - Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
05.08.2006 - 19:46
dark awakening
Check the band Acoustic War Against Satan
----
Baptized in a lake of acid tears...
10.08.2006 - 01:13
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by dark awakening on 05.08.2006 at 19:46

What can you tell me about them?
----
(space for rent)
10.08.2006 - 04:55
fire101
Account deleted
Pretty much any Mortification. Times Of Seperation by Zao is awesome.
10.08.2006 - 10:20
dark awakening
Written by Dane Train on 10.08.2006 at 01:13

Written by dark awakening on 05.08.2006 at 19:46

What can you tell me about them?

Almost nothing, because I only listened to them at my friend's house.
It's a kind of Death/Thrash
Actually they've made only a Demo
----
Baptized in a lake of acid tears...
10.08.2006 - 17:08
CollisionInMind
Account deleted
Deadly Blessing - Ascend From the Cauldron - Deliver Us From Evil - Kind of the ballad of this US Power/Thrash album at the beginning, but begins to follow the style of the rest of the album about a minute in. The lyrics kind of speak for themselves - "Deliver us from evil/Deliver us from hell/Amen."

Neon Cross - Torn - Bitterness - Bluesy song about being too prideful to ask forgiveness from a classic Christian metal band.

Toxik - Think This - Wir Njn8/In God - Not sure if you want to use this one because it's very critical of certain aspects of organized religion (while supportive of the beliefs, but if you don't listen carefully the message might get buried). Nice proggy thrash metal. Or thrashy prog metal, either way.

Sonata Arctica - Ecliptica - 8th Commandment - "Remember to pray, and what the Bible says and you will live through eternity. You haven't heard of this? There is something you missed, and it will cost you so heavily." Also, the song "Picturing the Past" is chock full of blatantly obvious Jesus metaphors without explicitly saying so: "He cannot live neither die in this world/Burning sensation inside, you know how that hurts?/Making up for the crimes of your life."

Nightwish - Angels Fall First - The Carpenter - "
I hear you/Through the symphonic voices of nature/The purity I could never doubt/They tell me to lie on the grass/And observe my saviour/The one crucified to the chirping of birds."

Theocracy - Theocracy - Theocracy - In case you couldn't tell by their name, it's an explicitly Christian band, who plays symphonic power metal. They're a three-piece now, I think, but at the time it was just Matt Smith (the guy who did that really funny St. Anger tribute). Anyway, here's an example of lyrics:

Father, use me to be Your hands down here
A mirror to reflect Your glory into hurting eyes
And let me see the world with vision clear
and not through selfishness and lies
For if I am consumed with my own cares
What right will I have to speak the words
"The Kingdom come"?
And if I am consumed with my own will
What right to pray "Thy will be done"?

As all around me I see bleeding souls
Please give me strength to never pass them idly by
And as the angry stormclouds start to roll,
May they see comfort in my eyes
For just as you are full of mercy and love
The same to others, You have called me to be
And by the covenant of grace, above and below
Within our souls: Theocracy

Temple of Blood - Prepare for the Judgment of Mankind - Return to Eden - Very good Christian thrash band. "Bring Him the children, bring Him the dead/Arise, your spirits shall learn/Reach out to Him, He's offering His hand/To Eden He leads our return/We'll be reborn, from sorrow torn/Heaven awaits us, world without end/Deliver us from pain, our passing's our gain/As we draw nearer, to Eden ascend."

That's all I'm getting off the top of my head but I'm positive I can come up with more.
11.08.2006 - 17:35
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Guest on 10.08.2006 at 17:08

Sonata Arctica - Ecliptica - 8th Commandment - "Remember to pray, and what the Bible says and you will live through eternity. You haven't heard of this? There is something you missed, and it will cost you so heavily."

I hear this song all the time, but I never actually listened to the lyrics. Thanks for the info on it. As well as the other songs. I am going to see how many of them I can find.

Oh, does anyone know of any bands that are more 'extreme'? Sort of like Kekal?
----
(space for rent)
11.08.2006 - 18:40
Nyctophobia
Account deleted
This band is more of a gothic inspired trance group, complete with orchestrations and choirs, but I still recommend them. The group is called E Nomine, and they perform their music in German and Latin, with occassional snippets of Spanish and English.

From their song (translated), The Trombones of Jericho - "Hear so that you may see! I am the Prince of the Army of the Lord, and we are coming. Remove your shoes from your feet, for the ground you stand on is holy."

They've also performed the Lord's Prayer as a song.
11.08.2006 - 20:29
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Guest on 11.08.2006 at 18:40

This band is more of a gothic inspired trance group, complete with orchestrations and choirs, but I still recommend them. The group is called E Nomine, and they perform their music in German and Latin, with occassional snippets of Spanish and English.

From their song (translated), The Trombones of Jericho - "Hear so that you may see! I am the Prince of the Army of the Lord, and we are coming. Remove your shoes from your feet, for the ground you stand on is holy."

They've also performed the Lord's Prayer as a song.

Wow, cool. Thanks man. I have never heard of this band, but I am going to research them right now. Is there an album or two that you would recomend?
----
(space for rent)
11.08.2006 - 22:42
RavenLord
Written by Guest on 03.08.2006 at 02:38

Iron Maiden's Sign of the Cross.

Although I would grab the live version from the Rock N' Rio cd, because the studio version was done with Blaze Bayley.

And what's wrong with Blaze? His voice suits that song, with its dark, brooding nature, more than Bruce's.

In reply to CollisionInMind, I would also add a few other Nightwish songs. Gethsemane should be obvious in its significance, while songs like 'Bless the Child' are more metaphysical and generally spiritual in their lyrical themes. But most of Nightwish's material has pseudo-Christian imagery... :p

I would also suggest Iron Maiden-No More Lies. This song is about the last supper, from the point of view of Christ, wondering if he will come back-this works well as a counterpoint to Gethsemane:
Maybe I'll be back some other day
To live again just who can say
In what shape or form that I might be
Just another chance for me

A hurried time no disgrace
Instead of racing to conclusion
And wishing all my life away
No-one can stop me now

Time is up it couldn't last
But there's more things I'd like to do
I'm coming back to try again
Someday maybe I'll wait till then

Also, Megadeth-Shadow of Deth quotes from Psalm 23, although I haven't heard it myself, I have just read the lyrics.

Other than these, I can't think of any that haven't been mentioned...
----
12.08.2006 - 00:09
Lupas
Maximus
Hey try Gretchen , a female fronted metal band .
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
12.08.2006 - 11:05
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
It's probably been mentioned but anything Stryper has strong spirtual/christian lyrics,Narnia also has spiritual/christian lyrics.
12.08.2006 - 15:36
RavenLord
Also, after reading Alexander's recommendation of Avantasia, I know that Kamelot's albums 'Epica' and 'The Black Halo' revolve around an angel called *Wiki's it* Ariel, and is based on Goethe's Faust. I'm not sure how applicable this is to your playlist, though...
----
12.08.2006 - 22:56
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Well, Judaism doesn't count as Christianism, but Orphaned Land's "El Norra Alila" has beautiful religious lyrics... blood-chilling music as well.
13.08.2006 - 00:00
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Guest on 12.08.2006 at 11:05

It's probably been mentioned but anything Stryper has strong spirtual/christian lyrics,Narnia also has spiritual/christian lyrics.

Yeah, I have a lot of Stryper. While I am not a fan of 80's butt rock, their last album, Passion is really good.
----
(space for rent)
13.08.2006 - 11:02
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 13.08.2006 at 00:00

Written by Guest on 12.08.2006 at 11:05

Yeah, I have a lot of Stryper. While I am not a fan of 80's butt rock, their last album, Passion is really good.

Do you mean Reborn? Cause as far as I know that was their last album and I have it. I'm not a huge Stryper fan but my friend who is really Christian likes them and bought the album for me cause he knows I like metal. I mean I have always known about Stryper and though I hate butt rock as well,I'm not ashamed to admit I like a few of their songs.
13.08.2006 - 18:43
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Guest on 13.08.2006 at 11:02

Do you mean Reborn? Cause as far as I know that was their last album and I have it. I'm not a huge Stryper fan but my friend who is really Christian likes them and bought the album for me cause he knows I like metal. I mean I have always known about Stryper and though I hate butt rock as well,I'm not ashamed to admit I like a few of their songs.

Sorry, yeah Reborn. I was thinking of the song "Passion" which is my favorite track off the album.
----
(space for rent)
14.08.2006 - 08:05
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 13.08.2006 at 18:43

Written by Guest on 13.08.2006 at 11:02

Sorry, yeah Reborn. I was thinking of the song "Passion" which is my favorite track off the album.

Yes Passion was a good track! My favorite was "Make you Mine"