45 want it

01. For You To Know
02. Debris
03. The Poet And The Painter Of Souls
04. The Smoke
05. A Shade Of Plague
06. With You Came Silence
07. Pale Eye Revelation
08. The Final Solution (Entering The Black Lodge)

Staff review by
Thryce
Rating:
N/A
Progressive Melodic Death metal
Recorded: Black Lounge Studio, Sweden 2009
Label: Pulverised Records
Total Running Time: 57:04

Here we have an album that will undoubtedly make it to a lot of end of year lists. And when I say a lot, I actually mean a lot. Mark my words.

Lately I'm not too much into either prog or melodeath. But this may well be one of the best progressive melodic death metal albums I've heard in, oh I don't know, ever. The brutal truth is that In Mourning knocked the ball right out of the park with this one. Seriously, this album rocks so fucking hard I can't even begin to tell you.

Read more ››
published 27.02.2010 | Comments (24)

Guest review by
K✞ulu
Rating:
Monolith is a huge freaking disappointment. Not that I was blown away by In Mourning's previous effort but because this is probably the number one album in terms of wasted potential. Seriously, friends, there are soooo many good, smart, catchy and even mind-blowing riffs and leads on this album, which are completely ruined by boring retreats to dragging, recurring, "sentimental" mid-paced melodies. Take track one: what initially sounds like something heavy and bombastic is later ruined by the higher-register-guitar-driven whiny chorus, and then later saved again by a great bridge, and then ruined again... So many times have I found myself banging my head to some great grooves in a particular song only to be pissed off at how the song develops later ("Pale Eye Revelation") or being initially bored and then taken by surprise ("With You Came Silence"). Inconsistency...

Read more ››
published 18.12.2010 | Comments (13)

Monolith is easily among the most awesome releases I've heard all year. This addictive and hauntingly beautiful album is every reason why In Mourning are/should be top of the class.
Follow the review link for more shameless self-promotion.

Thryce's picks | More picks ››

Found in 42 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 41   Visited by: 1141 users
31.01.2010 - 09:59
Rating: 9
Umideath

WooooooooooooooW ! Great album
----
My Top 90 Metal Albums Of 2023 - Part 2 >> https://youtu.be/6Yi7zV9Xo58 - Part 1
https://youtu.be/8F0E_CAfmMM
04.02.2010 - 23:57
Rating: 10
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I'm still waiting for the original CD to arrive, why is it taking so long? Anyway, I have high expectations.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
06.02.2010 - 03:08
advent

Really a good album,,,,at last a good release in 2010

anyway in this album they sound more like Opeth!!
06.02.2010 - 13:22
Rating: 8
InnerSelf
proofread free
I just got the album and will give it a listen soon
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
06.02.2010 - 21:49
wh1te603

Loving this album right now, a lot more progressive and varied than their first, even without a classic track such as "The Black Lodge". I do however feel that "For You To Know" and "The Final Solution" are a perfect intro and closing track.
12.02.2010 - 11:12
Irinel

Superb !
12.02.2010 - 23:29
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Listened to the album about 20 times now and I'm still discovering something new, that's art for you.
I'm still deciding between 9 and 10 at this point. I'm also mentally comparing it to their first release and trying to understand why it stands out so much.

I can say for now that In Mourning proved that their first album wasn't a fling, that they actually have something special to give. That's how I see them anyway.
----

My Instagram
13.02.2010 - 14:49
lord artan

Great album...very good
17.02.2010 - 15:12
Ted
Account deleted
I am very impressed so far with just the first song
A lot of stuff progressive fans will be drawn to in this album
[the final solution ]Apply the meaning
good work
17.02.2010 - 17:29
bandozes

It's great. I've got to try not to listen to this too much like i might have done with Shrouded Divine, otherewise i'll wear it out.. haha. But a very good band.
18.02.2010 - 16:21
CheaTer

Hello, Opeth and Dark Tranquillity. good, but originality - 0
20.02.2010 - 17:55
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by CheaTer on 18.02.2010 at 16:21

Are you serious? Really? Where do you hear Dark Tranquillity in this record? Really would like to know.
----

My Instagram
21.02.2010 - 02:42
bandozes

Maybe not entirely original, but as i read a comment by some wise person on youtube saying, "There is something refreshing about this band, even if they aren't original," I certainly agree with them...
21.02.2010 - 09:53
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I think people are biased towards this band, most of them will listen to them because someone told them it sounds like Opeth and they listen to their records with that in mind. And when you want to find something so badly, you will.
----

My Instagram
11.03.2010 - 07:37
Devilspeed

Written by BloodTears on 21.02.2010 at 09:53

I think people are biased towards this band, most of them will listen to them because someone told them it sounds like Opeth and they listen to their records with that in mind.

I came to that conclusion long ago. It's why I ignore their opinions, alongside their overrated praise of Opeth in general. Album of the year for me so far.
11.03.2010 - 15:42
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by BloodTears on 21.02.2010 at 09:53

I think people are biased towards this band, most of them will listen to them because someone told them it sounds like Opeth and they listen to their records with that in mind. And when you want to find something so badly, you will.
good thing I never heard the Opeth comparison before listening to their debut, or else I probably wouldn't even listen to them

That aside, I think I prefer "Monolith" slightly over to "Shrouded Divine" after a couple more spins. Defo among the best of 2010 so far
----
loves 小巫
13.03.2010 - 13:49
Abattoir

Great release indeed...I don't know, but if you ask me I found this stuff sounding quite original. However, yet I'm not sure if it has outs the ''Shrouded Divine'', which is also an exellent album, but the path takes place in the right way.
14.03.2010 - 20:28
Dark Blood
The Avenger
I've been listening to this a lot. Its a very original piece and it always amazes me. I think these guys have the potential to stand out through the Death metal scene. I cant say progressive-wise cause there's a lot of great new bands out there right now, but when it comes to death... the style needs a new refresh sound and this is very good example.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
29.03.2010 - 05:02
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
LOVE this album. The first song annoys me a bit because the clean vocals sounds like Jonathan Davis! Luckily it doesnt happen again...the music is fucking stellar though. Just goes to show you dont need crazy solos to make a good melodic death album. All you need is good songwriting, interesting structure and some innovation. Super album which should rate way higher than 8.2/10 imo.
31.03.2010 - 00:00
╔╩╦
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 29.03.2010 at 05:02

LOVE this album. The first song annoys me a bit because the clean vocals sounds like Jonathan Davis! Luckily it doesnt happen again...the music is fucking stellar though. Just goes to show you dont need crazy solos to make a good melodic death album. All you need is good songwriting, interesting structure and some innovation. Super album which should rate way higher than 8.2/10 imo.

No for the Jonathan Davis comparison, yes for the rest of your post.
31.03.2010 - 00:11
╔╩╦
Account deleted

No... and no. Opeth = 'Opeth', Dark Tranquillity = 'Dark Tranquillity'. In Mourning, sounds like their own band... it would be advisable to listen to a band without making comparisons every single time - generally speaking, not just aimed at you. For what makes them sound like Dark Tranquillity or Opeth?

Clean passages mixed with heavy parts? I don't hear the comparison and I listen to all three of those bands quite extensively.
31.03.2010 - 00:25
Valaskjalf
Account deleted

The Opeth comparison to a degree, but not to the degree that you are referring to - not to the point of In Mourning being unoriginal. They have their own sound. If you want complete Opeth rip-off listen to Ikuinen Kaamos, thats just blatant.

I dont hear any DT in In Mourning, not even the slightest bit. You might be confused.
09.04.2010 - 00:34
advent

Written by Guest on 31.03.2010 at 00:25

The Opeth comparison to a degree, but not to the degree that you are referring to - not to the point of In Mourning being unoriginal. They have their own sound. If you want complete Opeth rip-off listen to Ikuinen Kaamos, thats just blatant.

I dont hear any DT in In Mourning, not even the slightest bit. You might be confused.

Strange that i listened to Ikuinen Kaamos and i thought just the same...anyway i think Opeth influence appears in their song structure a lot ...listen to The Final Solution song it is seemlier to a lot of Opeth songs in terms in song structure ,,anyway i think they done well with their songwriting.
12.04.2010 - 18:57
Anjana(SriLanka)

This album is better than I expected.
22.04.2010 - 00:17
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Im fucking addicted to this album!
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
27.04.2010 - 17:22
Rating: 7
Dark Doom

Not good as previous album !
11.05.2010 - 18:50
Rating: 7
Czerny Reiter

Easily superior to their previous album. If someone drew Opeth comparisons at Shrouded Divine I would've understood but this album is a beast of it's own, completely different in style and inflection.
23.06.2010 - 15:40
PoIsOn!

This album is like an opium!Songs are so good,and lyrics are amazing!I can't help but wonder who julia is,and if somebody knows anything please tell me!Most of the songs,if not all,are about her!And the music fits incredibly with the dark atmosphere of lyrics!!maybe it's a weird conclusion but i don't know better to describe this album:) too bad it's not better rated,because of the few voters who don't even listen to this type of music,but never mind!
21.07.2010 - 13:19
DevilishSong

Great..
Thats what i expected!!
09.08.2010 - 19:17
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I can't understand how some ppl voted 1,2,3 on this album. I can understand ppl thinking ts average or even "ok", but that's purely negativism toward the band because they are obviously talented whether you like them or not.
----

My Instagram

Hits total: 21343 | This month: 29