Metal Storm logo
Kamelot

Original post

Posted by , 17.05.2006 - 15:38
The Power Metallers from the USA.

Underwhile pretty known. And there're plans for making a new album.
That news was written partly in the latest newsletter. Which was posted in the old Forum I thought.

Continue please. That will make me happy.
03.02.2015 - 14:27
TickingTock

Written by Guest on 31.01.2015 at 00:10

Written by TickingTock on 19.01.2015 at 20:47

Same reasons as I joined too! Hoping the next album will be more along the lines of Epica and The Black Halo (My two favourite Kamelot albums!).

I don't have any hopes for the next album. I think they'll just write the same thing again. It'll be like Rhapsody Of Fire.

Kamelot will have a trick or two up their sleeve. They always do!
03.02.2015 - 14:49
TickingTock

Written by Susan on 31.01.2015 at 06:28

Oh god I hope you're wrong. Thomas did say in some interview that they were happy to get back to straight power metal after doing too much progressive stuff on Poetry; then we were left with the generic shit that was Silverthorn. I hope they aren't out of ideas, or that Roy wasn't the source of ALL the good ideas. If they fade into the same droll power metal that Rhapsody and other "greats" churn out in their old age then I'll be very, very sad. They tried hard to reach the top, they explored music right to the pinnacle; I hope they don't just get comfortable with their fame at this point.

Roy was never the source of ALL of the good ideas - Youngblood has and always will be the creative driving force behind Kamelot. Just a shame most Kamelot fans are too occupied over the "Khan vs Karevik" movement too see this. Poetry was a massive hit or miss album; the same goes for Silverthorn. I have faith that the next album will be an improvement! If not, well i'll just have to eat my own words!
03.04.2015 - 22:10
Etaín

There's no denying their style changed drasticly with Khan leaving. Best way for me to describe it is, the sound lost maturity. May sound stupid, but thats how it feels to me. The sounds, the lyrics, the melodies etc. I still listen to all the older albums on a regular base (Fourth Legacy upto Poetry) and each one of those is unique, has its own sound, story and feel. And then my player goes onto Silverthorn and i turn it off :p This isnt the same band at all. 'Generic' as Susan describes it is a fitting term imo. Sad to see another fav band go down like this. And yes i saw them live recently, and Karevik does sound like a young Khan, but he has a very long way to go.
30.06.2015 - 14:53
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
I kind of lost interest with the last couple of albums with Khan, but with the arrival of Karevik I have been absolutely bored to death. I've heard his work on other albums and it's as if he's been told "Copy Khan as much as you can". I kind of understood it with Silverthorn as I didn't know if the music had been written with Khan in mind. Though with Haven it just seems like the band is completely comfortable with doing this same thing over and over. All these additional guest vocals I don't care for, songs with the exact same choruses as old songs, the Khan impersonator. I'll just go back to Karma, Epica and Fourth Legacy .
08.08.2015 - 18:49
ThePeacekeeper

The latest album is kind of boring unfortunately
28.08.2015 - 23:14
Metren
Dreadrealm
Kamelot were one of the bands that got me into metal and I will always love their golden era of The Fourth Legacy to The Black Halo (absolute masterpiece). After that, they went downhill quickly, Ghost Opera was alright, but nothing spectacular and everything after that is just so mediocre and boring.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
17.10.2015 - 13:13
fandango68

Written by Metren on 28.08.2015 at 23:14

Kamelot were one of the bands that got me into metal and I will always love their golden era of The Fourth Legacy to The Black Halo (absolute masterpiece). After that, they went downhill quickly, Ghost Opera was alright, but nothing spectacular and everything after that is just so mediocre and boring.

Yeah, I think that's more or less the general consensus here, although I feel able to write that in my view, while Haven can't entirely be hailed as a return to Black Halo form, it is nevertheless a desperately needed upturn in quality.
----
First gig was Manowar (loincloths 'n' all), Bristol Colston Hall in March 1983, on the 'Hail to England' tour. Tickets were £3.75, 300 in the audience, Mercyful Fate never showed, but my hearing still got seriously trashed..
19.11.2015 - 16:37
Oakdude

Written by Etaín on 03.04.2015 at 22:10

There's no denying their style changed drasticly with Khan leaving. Best way for me to describe it is, the sound lost maturity. May sound stupid, but thats how it feels to me. The sounds, the lyrics, the melodies etc. I still listen to all the older albums on a regular base (Fourth Legacy upto Poetry) and each one of those is unique, has its own sound, story and feel. And then my player goes onto Silverthorn and i turn it off :p This isnt the same band at all. 'Generic' as Susan describes it is a fitting term imo. Sad to see another fav band go down like this. And yes i saw them live recently, and Karevik does sound like a young Khan, but he has a very long way to go.

I've been trying to find words to describe what Kamelot lost with Khan other than the soul grasping vocals, and you are absolutely right, it lost maturity, spot on. The lyrics could be written by 13 yo Twilight fans that think they sound poetic with texts like "sowing a rose of obsidian", but it just feels forced trying to be poetic when its just fancy words put together. This put togethere with the mainstream radio choruses makes it even more immature. I like Kareviks vocals but the depth is gone, as well as the maturity.
10.12.2015 - 09:02
FLDaisy

Hi- I'm hoping this will be ok to post here. I'm looking to connect with other Kamelot fans in Tampa (And it's annoying that my autocorrect keeps trying to switch "Kamelot" to "Camelot".) Is there another board I should do this on? This is my first post- I found this forum trying to find Tampa Kamelot fans. Great site!
19.12.2015 - 01:41
FLDaisy

Ok, so I met a couple of fans at the concert. I guess if there are any here, they aren't that active. I am just listening to the first Kamelot album. It totally sounds like Queensryche's first album. Minus, of course, the harmonizing guitars. Very interesting.
06.01.2016 - 16:26
Netzach
Planewalker
The only albums I like are the ones with Roy Khan on them. Earlier albums have some good ideas but the vocalist just ruins everything for me, and the latest albums all sound like duller versions of Epica or The Black Halo.

Still, Epica is one of the few power metal albums I still listen to once in a while.
16.01.2016 - 16:27
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
Written by Netzach on 06.01.2016 at 16:26

The only albums I like are the ones with Roy Khan on them. Earlier albums have some good ideas but the vocalist just ruins everything for me, and the latest albums all sound like duller versions of Epica or The Black Halo.

Still, Epica is one of the few power metal albums I still listen to once in a while.

I think "One Day I'll Win" is one of the funniest songs ever. The vocal performance hurts my stomach.
03.03.2020 - 19:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
"Veritas: A Kamelot Legacy", the first official book by and about KAMELOT, marking the thirtieth anniversary of the founding of the band, will be released later this year via Rocket 88, one of music's most innovative publishing houses.

Filled with personal, live and studio photos plus memorabilia and artworks, "Veritas: A Kamelot Legacy" tells the story of the foremost power metal band in the world.

This fully illustrated history is told by founder Thomas Youngblood along with Tommy Karevik, Oliver Palotai, Sean Tibbetts, Alex Landenburg, former bandmembers, associates, friends and colleagues.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/kamelot-first-official-book-veritas-a-kamelot-legacy-coming-later-this-year/

----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.04.2020 - 04:14
salander

@TickingTock the main songwriter was actually Roy and this is why their actual sound changed miles after his departure if you listen to COnception last 2 albums MY dark Symphony and State of Deception you're gonna hear loads of PFTP and you'll see that was Roy then and this is Roy again.
P.S. Anyone musician ? I'm a vocalist interested in making a band similar to Kamelot <3
20.04.2020 - 10:58
nikarg

Written by salander on 20.04.2020 at 04:14

P.S. Anyone musician ? I'm a vocalist interested in making a band similar to Kamelot <3

You can start a topic in this thread providing some more details about yourself and what you are looking for and see if you can get people interested in such a project.
Welcome to Metal Storm by the way
20.04.2020 - 16:38
salander

Quote:
Quote:

You can start a topic in this thread providing some more details about yourself and what you are looking for and see if you can get people interested in such a project.
Welcome to Metal Storm by the way

Yes but I am a new human in here so I am not allowed for another monrh or so ) and since we were on the kamelot subject <3
20.04.2020 - 18:52
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by salander on 20.04.2020 at 16:38

Yes but I am a new human in here so I am not allowed for another monrh or so ) and since we were on the kamelot subject <3

You can try here: http://metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=3000 Good luck! And welcome to the site. As a member for 3+ years I can tell you this place is special.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
22.04.2020 - 22:17
salander

@metren thank you! I will try this one as well