Metal Storm logo
Favorite Keyboardist?

Original post

Posted by , 03.08.2006 - 09:00
my favorite keyboardist is Janne Warman from bodom, eventhough Bodom sold out.. Janne is very talented...
17.08.2006 - 16:00
Kurzag
Account deleted
Henri Sorvali (Moonsorrow, Finntroll) fills the music with harmony and atmosphere. Not only is he a good keyboard player, but also a damn good musican.
20.08.2006 - 16:07
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
Tuomas Holopainen from Nightwish. That man is a genius! H eplays very gently, but gets magnificent sounds out of keyboards. Another favourite is Janne Warman from COB. What a speed! I´ve never seen anyone playing that fast.
----
You'll never walk alone.
20.08.2006 - 20:05
Bengans
Account deleted
Janne Warman... Tuomas Planman from Norther is also good. Especially in their last and first album. but he's so boring and warman is very talanted so i go for Warman.
10.11.2006 - 23:43
Lorien
Account deleted
Tuomas Holopainen
great keyboard player and composer
11.11.2006 - 00:05
Syrack
Account deleted
To thou who dwellest in the night has the best keyboard stuff ever made, than it is logical to say Sverd.
Morfeus from Limbonic art too.
11.11.2006 - 18:56
Remus

Written by LeDruide on 03.08.2006 at 21:06

I will add 6fingers, keybordist of Magica, great guy and musician. He has really brought something to the band.

Damn, i thought i was gonna be all cool and be the first to mention 6Fingers, but i guess you beat me to it. Anyway, he is deffinately my favourite keyboardist. Really good work in "Bittersweet Nightshade"!
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
12.11.2006 - 04:04
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Henri Sorvali of Moonsorrow, Kiventkantaja was an amazing album thanks to the keyboards.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
12.11.2006 - 13:52
Mariela.
Account deleted
Janne Warman/Wirman, he's great! But wich is he's real name? That's something I've been wondering about..
24.12.2006 - 08:24
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Kevin Moore (Dream theater,Chroma key,OSI)
i like the mellowness and not so extremely solos but more feeling

Jens Johannson (Stratovarius)
so fast and so creative also classical mixed stuff i love it

Michael Pinella (Symphony X)
classical stuff,complex, beautiful sound

These 3 guys are the masters of Keyboard I tell you ...
----
Stay Metal !!!
24.12.2006 - 08:46
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Ive just started getting into dragonlord, and it has really good symphonic keyboard, so im gonna have to change my answer to Lyle Livingston from Dragonlord (and i highly recomend dragonlord to anyone whos into melo-death or symphonic black metal.)
----
- George Carlin
24.12.2006 - 09:12
Wo0dy
Account deleted
yea Dragonlord owns. Neb Xort of Anorexia Nervosa is really good too.
25.12.2006 - 22:00
AntaeusM
Elite
My favourite keyboardist is Hora from Schwarz Stein/Another Cell/Velvet Eden and his solo project, but I am pretty sure I am suppose to put a keyboardist who play metal here. so..let me think. Metal keyboardists just aren't that impressive. However, I have to agree with Wo0dy, Neb Xort is an excellent keyboardist. Basically, a black metal band needs a keyboardist like him to have a perfect sound in that part of the band. And visually he is kinda cool too, his live performance is great for a keyboardist. so yeah..Neb Xort
25.12.2006 - 22:25
Sunioj

My favorite is definetly Jens from Stratovarius, but those who were close were Mikko from Sonata Arctica and Pasi Hiltulah from Kalmah and ETos.
26.12.2006 - 08:31
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Apart from the usual horde of Prog. keyboardists, I go with Vitalij Kuprij. He's a master keyboardist and yet he is SO underrated.

Metal-Archives Page

His compositions are nothing short of excellent and his theoretic skills are put to good use on most of his albums.
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
26.12.2006 - 15:38
Sunioj

Actually screw that Pasi is my favorite now just got through chaotic beauty by etos and Im obssessed.
28.12.2006 - 13:38
MeGaDeTh_fReAk

i think the COB,Nightwish and Drea Theatre keyboardist are awsome!!!........they definatly got fraking skills theyre soo kvlt .........i wish i had skills lyk them they make everything they play look soo hard ....... and it isbut anywayz they rule ..............
30.12.2006 - 20:10
spirit_inblack
harshhead
I think that Janne Warman is the best. His work in CoB is amazing, but if you want to hear his really good work, listen to his band, Warmen. Amazing stuff.
30.12.2006 - 21:50
Warman
Erotic Stains
Feels kinda boring to say but Janne is the best and was probably the one who got me into keyboard sound.
----
31.12.2006 - 00:50
Stigmatized
A list of keyboardist's who need to be mentioned (some have been mentioned already I'm sure)-

Olli Savolainen of Shade Empire
Øyvind Johan "Mustis" Mustaparta of Dimmu Borgir
Neb Xort of Anorexia Nervosa
Henri Urponpoika Sorvali of Moonsorrow
Pedro Paixão of Moonspell
Kalle "Irstas" Sundström of Ajattara
Martin Brändström of Dark Tranquillity
Antti Ventola of Turisas

I mention these not necessarily on terms of skill, but more on how they all add so much to the music.
31.12.2006 - 16:39
DeathMuffin

Warman...he plays at hyper-warp speed, but Tuomas Holopainen's plaing is more melodic and majestic...I guess it's just the style of the two different bands on the whole.
04.01.2007 - 02:10
Ultraraw
Account deleted
Tuomas Holopainen is really great keyboard player
04.01.2007 - 19:20
DistortedVisual
Account deleted
Fabio Laguna, even though he only plays with angra when they're on tour.
06.01.2007 - 21:46
sixpounder
Account deleted
Janne warmen is one of the most talented metal keyboardist i'v heard.
21.02.2007 - 16:12
the prisoner

I would say Rick Wakeman from Yes and his Black Sabbath stuff. Modern day I would say Tuomas Holopainen because of his melodic playing or Henri Urponpoika Sorvali of Moonsorrow.
24.02.2007 - 00:22
Black Serpent
Account deleted
Mustis of Dimmu Borgir^^

Examples: Når Sjelen Hentes Til Helvete
Sorgens Kammer - Del II
Kings of The Carnival Creation (Intro)
Blood Hunger Doctrine
Progenies of The Great Apocalypse

Hail the almighty Mustis!
11.06.2007 - 04:27
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Stigmatized on 31.12.2006 at 00:50

A list of keyboardist's who need to be mentioned (some have been mentioned already I'm sure)-

Olli Savolainen of Shade Empire
Øyvind Johan "Mustis" Mustaparta of Dimmu Borgir
Neb Xort of Anorexia Nervosa
Henri Urponpoika Sorvali of Moonsorrow
Pedro Paixão of Moonspell
Kalle "Irstas" Sundström of Ajattara
Martin Brändström of Dark Tranquillity
Antti Ventola of Turisas

I mention these not necessarily on terms of skill, but more on how they all add so much to the music.

Too bad both Turisas and Dimmu Borgir use pre-programmed keyboards for stage shows.
----
- George Carlin
11.06.2007 - 05:07
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
Jordan Rudess from dream theater. He is really awesome.
11.06.2007 - 05:45
Damned-In-Black

Xystras from Samael.. He's set the tone for each album in their later style perfectly.
11.06.2007 - 14:22
alexo dynami

My favourites are Sverd from Arcturus, Janne Warmen from Children of Bodom, Mustis from Dimmu Borgir.

I say that all the keyboardists mentioned are good in their own way, these three influence me the most and ability wise i'll put Sverd on top.

What about some power metal keyboardists like Alex Staropoli of Rhapsody of Fire and Bob Katsionis of Firewind who havent been mentioned?
11.06.2007 - 19:31
Grey_Dandelion

Martin Brandstrom of Dark Tranquillity is the best for me...master in keyboards
----
Don't turn away just take my hand and when you make your final stand i ll be right there i ll never leave all i ask of you is believe...