05. Turið Torkilsdóttir
06. By The Sword In My Hand
07. Ride
08. Hear The Heathen Call
09. By The Light Of The Northern Star
10. The Northern Lights [bonus]
11. Anthem [bonus]

Additional info
Recorded by Kristoffur Mørkøre at Krisstuff Studios.
Mixed by Jacob Hansen.
Mastered at Finnvox.
Cover illustration and layout by Gyula Havancsák.

Staff review by
Ernis
Rating:
Tyr is a wonderful and special band from a very special place, Faeroe islands. I personally love their music, so rich in melodies and emotions, the sound of the musicians' native language fitting perfectly the mood and flow of the music. Every album of theirs actually has some good moments in them with their new album By The Light Of The Northern Star not being an exception.

Read more ››
published 28.10.2009 | Comments (20)

Found in 18 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 695 users
03.02.2010 - 17:29
Rating: 9
JÄY
Metal slave
I really like how they traded some of their progressive-ness for more simplistic power on this album...its so catchy and fun while not feeling goofy or stupid.
16.08.2011 - 00:25
Vikcen
Metálico
A little disappointment so far compared with the last album "The Lay Of Thrym"... Although i love the song Hold The Heathen Hammer High, really very good.
25.11.2011 - 00:41
Rating: 8
Regolith

'Turid Torkilsdottir' is the song that will be playing in the halls of heaven. All jokes aside, the opening (and closing) ocapella vocal parts are one-of-a-kind amazing. For the first 20 listens (at least) I got goose bumps every time I played it.

Hmm, what else? Oh, the rest of the album! Right!

...meh.

Kidding. It took quite a few passes but most of the other songs grew on me and now I enjoy them quite a bit. My daughter actually walks over to the stereo and trys to sing and dance specifically to this band/album (which she hasn't done for any other group). So I guess at least Tyr can appeal to 2 year-old girls.
28.08.2012 - 07:15
cadenceofthewind

Such an amazing album!
----
"Time contracts, then expands, all in tune with the stirrings of the heart."
03.07.2013 - 11:19
Rating: 7
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
With "epic" in the genre, I was expecting something similar to Equilibrium or Finsterforst. Rather disappointed.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
14.09.2013 - 17:43
Rating: 7
Skøllgrim
Northern
This album marked a significant decline in the band for me, the monotonous mechanical drums particularly are boring the hell out of me.
I never liked the track "Hold the heathen hammer high" yet everyone seems to like it a lot...
20.09.2013 - 09:55
Rating: 10
HeathenHeart

This is quite a departure from Land. Well every album this band puts out follows a theme (not to be confused with concept album). Land was about voyages and such, and was very progressive. Now with this, they made a Heathens revolting against Christian oppression themed album, and the music is mostly very aggresive and much-shorter length. This is arguably my favorite Tyr album, if only for the awesome lyrics that only a modern day Heathen can identity with. Turid Torkilsdottir, Hold the Heathen Hammer High and By the Light of the Northern Star are my favorite tracks. For me this was their last perfect album....now they seem to be declining in quality. Another interesting note is that this is the first album where Heri started his now-common style of singing lyrics at a tongue-twisting speed (try singing along with Hold the Heathen Hammer High and you'll see what i mean).
----
Hold the Heathen Hammer Highest of all your goals
03.12.2013 - 14:11
Skl3ros

Holy fuck. Listened to this for a week now even though I normally don't even enjoy clear vocals. The songs "By The Sword In My Hand" and "By The Light Of The Northern Star" are just a blessing.
08.08.2023 - 21:06
Rating: 8
tintinb

By the sword in my hand
I will conquer the land
I will decimate and decapitate
Those who question the sword in my hand

Hail Odin, what an album.
----
Leeches everywhere.

Hits total: 16561 | This month: 60