Metal Storm logo
Pain of Salvation in swedish eurovision song contest

04.02.2010 - 14:17
arwestromen

Just saw this in the newspaper today.....A progressiv metal band is in the swedish eurovision song contest (Schlagerfestivalen)
I don't know if i'm gonna cry or laugh here just the idea sounds.....wierd. Aren't progressive rockers suppose to write 15 min long guitar solos and stuff.....not 3 min long songs????
What do you think about this hole idea?
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
05.02.2010 - 23:55
Angelique
Bitchy Moderator
Well, I'm not a big fan of PoS nor eurovision song contest but anything away from typical europop that most countries send there is a positive thing.. Need to check out the song tomorrow when the first semifinals (?) are on.

I don't think we have a lot of business in the ESC this year, Finnish folk music doesn't attract that many people really
----
I have more faith in my plumber than I do the eternal being. Plumbers do a good job. They keep the shit flowing.
-C.Bukowski
06.02.2010 - 00:46
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Guest on 05.02.2010 at 23:57

Hmm it seems that Daniel Gildenlow became puppet of the record companies....

Nah, he's just not afraid to make different kinds of music. It is very clear with their more recent work that PoS isn't the same band they used to be. For better or for worse.

On the topic, I think it's amusing that they are doing this. Daniel is a damn good song-writer, so I could see them winning. Would it not be the be the ultimate mockery of the contest if they win it? I would assume that their intentions are to be ironic. ;P
06.02.2010 - 01:51
Rose Of Nemesis

W00t?
06.02.2010 - 05:24
Zuzuz0r

OMFG POS ARENT TRVE AS FVCK PROG METAL ANYMORE BECOZ DENIEL'S GOIN MAINSTREEMZ

Ok, enough, so, what I think about this, it that it would be interesting to see this if they win, tho I'm not sure if they will, and I agree with Fat & Sassy, Daniel's not afraid of trying different stuff, nor is afraid of what people say about him too, since he doesn't care too much about being "metal", he is a man of crazy ideas, I respect him a lot, and though Scarsick wasn't an album I loved, I'm still looking forward to hear their next work.
----
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead.
06.02.2010 - 10:40
Angelique
Bitchy Moderator
Actually one Finnish label boss just recently said that representing in the ESC is bigger risk than a chance for artist, it can ruin a good career for those who don't win. So I don't see PoS as label's puppets at all, I really don't see them winning either. I believe it's people's choice in Sweden too so there will be plenty of artists that have wider fanbase than PoS. Same thing happened with Nightwish over here.

But hey, if PoS is chosed to represent Sweden in the ESC it's absolutely positive thing! At least something else from godawful Carola Häggkvist
----
I have more faith in my plumber than I do the eternal being. Plumbers do a good job. They keep the shit flowing.
-C.Bukowski
06.02.2010 - 18:48
arwestromen

Found out it's a ballad or something called road salt.......que?!
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
07.02.2010 - 05:41
Tormentor666

I think it is sad when a band who plays real music goes to this crappy festival for artificial pop music.

And I don't know if I'm right or wrong but... don't you think it's been becoming some kind of fashion the fact that more and more metal bands want to compete in Eurovision since Lordi won??? It's just the feeling I get from these pieces of news about Keep of Kalessin and Pain of Salvation.
----
WARFARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
08.02.2010 - 07:24
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Zuzuz0r on 06.02.2010 at 05:24

OMFG POS ARENT TRVE AS FVCK PROG METAL ANYMORE BECOZ DENIEL'S GOIN MAINSTREEMZ

Ok, enough, so, what I think about this, it that it would be interesting to see this if they win, tho I'm not sure if they will, and I agree with Fat & Sassy, Daniel's not afraid of trying different stuff, nor is afraid of what people say about him too, since he doesn't care too much about being "metal", he is a man of crazy ideas, I respect him a lot, and though Scarsick wasn't an album I loved, I'm still looking forward to hear their next work.

Eh, based off Daniel's hiatus of playing in the States for awhile was a pretty big dick move, so I don't respect him as a personality too much. I do respect him as a fantastic musician though. Either way, none of this stuff changes the fact that POS is a great band that makes great, high-quality music.

And I think the new Road Salt song is a bit simple for POS... But I'm sure based off their latest EP, the new album is gonna be great (hopefully).
08.02.2010 - 12:09
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Tormentor666 on 07.02.2010 at 05:41

don't you think it's been becoming some kind of fashion the fact that more and more metal bands want to compete in Eurovision since Lordi won??? It's just the feeling I get from these pieces of news about Keep of Kalessin and Pain of Salvation.

i would have no problem with it as long as the music they are taking into the competition would be good...but i listened to Keep of Kalessin's song and it is a pure crap...and i also remember the performance of Teräsbetoni a year or two ago and it was also bad...dunno about PoS yet...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

08.02.2010 - 22:49
Fat & Sassy!

Is this it? Someone posted it in the shoutbox last night. :O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wNF9KFAF6A
09.02.2010 - 01:34
His Eminence
Account deleted
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 08.02.2010 at 22:49

Is this it? Someone posted it in the shoutbox last night. :O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wNF9KFAF6A

Hm...the video was already removed due to a copyright claim. Too bad, I wanted to hear it...
13.02.2010 - 14:55
mr.archness

Well If Lordi pulled it, maybe they can as well. I'm not comparing bands, just saying would be so nice to have a real music in that contest instead of all the crapy stuff and I believe it's a challenge for them, to try to win the commercial crowd and judges, used to **** music, and not something that's rocking. Scandinavia is a good place for it, if someone can make a run for it with that type of music is up in the north, not in other european countries. It will be interesting to see what will they come up with
15.02.2010 - 22:41
IronAngel

Written by Angelique on 06.02.2010 at 10:40

I believe it's people's choice in Sweden too so there will be plenty of artists that have wider fanbase than PoS. Same thing happened with Nightwish over here.

Did Nightwish not win the public vote, but was turned down due to jury votes? Back then, there was still a jury making the final decision or giving half the points, or whatever.

But either way, this is coolio. Not an interesting contest in the least, but protest competitors are always nice to have.