07. Andromeda Strain
08. Droid Sector
09. Destroying The Manger
10. Empire Of The Sands

Top 20 albums of 1990: 10

Guest review by
Clintagräm
Rating:
When you think of the early innovators of Death Metal, names like Possessed, Death, Master, Morbid Angel, and Deicide are probably what come to mind. And rightly so, they all had a huge impact on the genre, and are still credible, durable, and enjoyable today. But one album, which might pass by some people in favor of say, 'Altars of Madness' or 'Scream Bloody Gore,' was released in 1990 by band called Nocturnus from the home of many of the early Death Metal acts: Tampa, Florida.

Read more ››
published 24.03.2008 | Comments (8)

Another influential album released somewhere in August 1990, this one coming from Florida, the hotbed of early American death metal. Nocturnus may not have been the first band to take death metal in a more progressive direction, fellow Floridans themselves like Death and Atheist were already making their steps, but never had a death metal band incorporated keyboards that heavily into their sound and basically birthed technical/progressive death metal's fascination with space and sci-fi. Though they're not as technical as most of their peers and descendants, the musicianship on here isn't to be taken lightly, especially considering how unusual it is for the drummer to be the vocalist as well.

RaduP's picks | More picks ››

Found in 48 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 50   Visited by: 885 users
05.02.2010 - 17:17
Rating: 9
bard
Ahh! I just discovered this debut. How did I miss this? Sounds like a kick-ass, thrashy Morbid Angel. Good old school death metal from 1990. Mmm.
----
05.02.2010 - 17:41
Baz Anderson
Staff
This is more than good... this album is a true gem.
05.02.2010 - 18:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by bard on 05.02.2010 at 17:17

Sounds like a kick-ass, thrashy Morbid Angel.

Not too surprising, I would say, cause Mike Browning used to be a member of Morbid Angel
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.02.2010 - 19:17
bard
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.02.2010 at 18:12

Written by bard on 05.02.2010 at 17:17

Sounds like a kick-ass, thrashy Morbid Angel.

Not too surprising, I would say, cause Mike Browning used to be a member of Morbid Angel

That would make a lot of sense, as this is probably the closest album I have heard in quality and likeness to Alters of Madness. Save it has some more traditional sounding solos instead of Trey's 'Temple of Ostx' solos...so says person who was four months old when this album came out.
----
05.02.2010 - 19:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by bard on 05.02.2010 at 19:17

That would make a lot of sense, as this is probably the closest album I have heard in quality and likeness to Alters of Madness. Save it has some more traditional sounding solos instead of Trey's 'Temple of Ostx' solos...so says person who was four months old when this album came out.

Like I said in one of the comments on the review, I think. Mike Browning was the original drummer and vocalist in Morbid Angel.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.07.2010 - 09:54
Rating: 10
Aetherius
This is a lost underrated gem in the pages of metal history. Definatly badass. Ahead of their time a bit imo as well. Get it NOW if you dont have this!
31.07.2010 - 14:59
ForeverDarkWoods
Yes, this album should be mandatory...
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
14.02.2011 - 19:48
Hell yea! This album will rip you a new asshole, start to finish. An old school savage beat-down that's sure to leave a smile on your face>)
07.04.2011 - 06:09
Yasmine
Techy bliss.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
07.04.2011 - 07:29
Void_Eater
Account deleted
DIE! BY! THE! SIGN! OF! THE! KEY!

Need I say more? Easily one of the best albums I've ever listened to. From the atmospheric keyboards to the absolutly shredding solo's, everything about this album is perfect. Well, almost everything. There's no bass at all, which is a bit of a dissapointment,k but then again, this is metal, where the bass is inaudible more often then not.
07.04.2011 - 07:39
Yasmine
Written by Guest on 07.04.2011 at 07:29

Need I say more? Easily one of the best albums I've ever listened to. From the atmospheric keyboards to the absolutly shredding solo's, everything about this album is perfect. Well, almost everything. There's no bass at all, which is a bit of a dissapointment,k but then again, this is metal, where the bass is inaudible more often then not.

If I have someone just listening to DM getting past say the entry stuff, which here is Morbid Angel and Behemoth, I tell them they need Thy Key, Death's Symbolic, Misanthrope's Immortal and Atheist's Piece of time. Btw the solos on this kick a ton of ass.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
07.04.2011 - 07:48
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by Yasmine on 07.04.2011 at 07:39

Written by Guest on 07.04.2011 at 07:29

If I have someone just listening to DM getting past say the entry stuff, which here is Morbid Angel and Behemoth, I tell them they need Thy Key, Death's Symbolic, Misanthrope's Immortal and Atheist's Piece of time. Btw the solos on this kick a ton of ass.

And Malevolent Creation of course. Always forgotten when discussing old school death metal, but just as good as old MA, Deicide, and Death. And yes, the solo's here are among the best I've heard.... Although I can't remember them I just know that they're awesome when they show up. Guess it's a good thing, as it keeps the album fresh.
07.04.2011 - 08:06
Yasmine
I like the first 2 MC albums, especially the 1st one, but after that they're very hit or miss imo. I've loved The Key for a long time but I just recently got a copy of it, glad I did!
----
08.04.2011 - 02:44
One hell of a classic. I own this on tape and I give it many plays during a month.
29.09.2011 - 02:56
@gent_-_orange
Excellent album, Very memorable soloing and riff work rather than loads of sterile wankery and great atmosphere to boot, One of the top 10 Florida DM albums for sure.
29.09.2011 - 03:07
Angelic Storm
Melodious
An amazing album by an amazing band. It's just a shame they never had a longer career with more albums...
29.09.2011 - 03:15
@gent_-_orange
Written by Angelic Storm on 29.09.2011 at 03:07

An amazing album by an amazing band. It's just a shame they never had a longer career with more albums...

It seems Mike Browning had shitty luck in the Death Metal scene, its a pity really. Nocturnus' Second record I like also but it simply is not as good as this one, Anything after that gets a big fat MEH from me.
29.09.2011 - 13:17
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by @gent_-_orange on 29.09.2011 at 03:15
It seems Mike Browning had shitty luck in the Death Metal scene, its a pity really. Nocturnus' Second record I like also but it simply is not as good as this one, Anything after that gets a big fat MEH from me.

I'd definitely agree about "Thresholds" not being as good as the "The Key". It is a very good album, but the songs on "The Key" are generally more direct, memorable, and atmospheric. I also prefer Mike Browning's vocals over the guy they had on the second album. For me, "The Key" is one of the all time classic death metal albums, and easily one of the most overlooked albums in the genre. It is a real shame they couldn't have continued on with Mike Browning... who knows what more greatness they could have came up with had he remained in the band.

I know they put out a new album in 2002, but I've never heard that one...
20.02.2012 - 20:51
Mdevil93
This is probably my second favorite death metal album of 1990, Cause of Death comes first!
22.09.2012 - 01:33
Crucifux
Account deleted
Thoroughly let down by this. Hoping it will be a grower.
06.02.2013 - 12:47
METALOZON
Great album. Love the music, riffs, solos, and the rest. My main problem would be the keyboard. I'm not a fan of keyboards in metal. And if they are there, they should only do the atmosphere in the background. But here the keyboard sometimes actually starts going solo... There is actually a really cool solo by the keyboard, well, even so, I want that solo to be played by the guitar. Keyboard is the main reason I cannot possibly listen to bands like Children of Bodom.
28.02.2013 - 09:11
Rating: 8
Big-Al
Ahh, it's available for purchase on the earache webstore again... remastered!
----

I drink moosepiss
10.03.2013 - 01:08
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
The sound like Morbid Angel with keyboards and a few thrashy elements. Pretty good shit.
----
04.05.2013 - 00:17
Erik M.
I'm not a fan of death metal at all, but somehow I think this album is awesome. One of the few death metal albums that I actually enjoy a lot.
09.06.2013 - 19:41
qlacs
"The Quaker"
The first oldschool death metal album I really enjoy listening to in 4 years.
----
26.03.2014 - 02:46
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Need to get this myself. Erik rec'd it to me a week or so ago, and I quite liked what I heard.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

30.03.2014 - 18:02
Erik M.
Written by psykometal on 26.03.2014 at 02:46

Need to get this myself. Erik rec'd it to me a week or so ago, and I quite liked what I heard.

Just listen to it for f*ck's sake. If I love a death metal album, it must be something special. And this album definitely is, without a doubt.
30.03.2014 - 18:44
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Erik M. on 30.03.2014 at 18:02

Just listen to it for f*ck's sake. If I love a death metal album, it must be something special. And this album definitely is, without a doubt.

I haven't been back home to Houston yet. All I have some I'm on the road is my phone, and I rarely have good enough service to stream stuff, so I'm going to download it when I get back home; should be home next weekend.
----

30.03.2014 - 20:14
Erik M.
Written by psykometal on 30.03.2014 at 18:44

I haven't been back home to Houston yet. All I have some I'm on the road is my phone, and I rarely have good enough service to stream stuff, so I'm going to download it when I get back home; should be home next weekend.

Oh my bad then, hahaha. Didn't know that.
31.03.2014 - 01:54
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Erik M. on 30.03.2014 at 20:14

Oh my bad then, hahaha. Didn't know that.

It's all good. I don't expect you to keep track of every facet of my life.
----

Hits total: 17329 | This month: 54