01. Watching From A Distance
02. Footprints
03. Bridges
04. Faces
05. Echoes

Top 20 albums of 2007: 17

Additional info
Produced by Warning and Michael Hahn.

Also released as two different limited editions: the "Die Hard" version and the "Right Hand Of Doom" version, limited to a 125 copies each.

The "Die Hard" version contains the "Watching From A Distance" CD and a bonus disc with the two demo's (Revelations Loom and Blessed By The Sabbath), as well as a patch and two postcards with the demo artwork.
The "Right Hand Of Doom" version contains all the aforementioned items as well as a sticker and a badge in the package which comes in a very nice wooden box with the Warning logo on it in gold.

Staff review by
Lucas
Rating:
Next time a newbie to (Traditional) Doom Metal asks me what the genre is about, my answer shall be confined to one mere word: Warning. As his or her face will doubtlessly bear a puzzled look, should I really answer in such fashion, my patient person shall have to repeat and explain that answer. And I will gladly do so, as everyone that has but the slightest interest in Warning is my friend.

Read more ››
published 27.07.2008 | Comments (78)

The album that got me into Doom. Still love each and every track a decade and change later. Thanks, Marcel.

BitterCOld's picks | More picks ››

Found in 51 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 4

Comments: 113   Visited by: 1059 users
13.11.2012 - 22:40
@gent_-_orange

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.11.2012 at 19:54

Written by @gent_-_orange on 13.11.2012 at 19:45

Pat Walker is urging people not to buy the new Vinyl Reissue as it apparently wasn't done with any of the bands input.

the main gripe he has with the Kreation Records rerelease is the shoddy quality of the artwork and some other stuff that has been added on the cover such as a thankslist drawn up by Miskatonic Foundation

I think he is also annoyed that no one in the band was given any input as well, that would be the major piss off for me.
13.11.2012 - 22:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by @gent_-_orange on 13.11.2012 at 22:40

I think he is also annoyed that no one in the band was given any input as well...

That too, but remember that the guy running Miskatonic Foundation is his cousin Rich Walker. So, I am guessing he is not willing to start some row with direct relatives over that.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.11.2012 - 18:05
Rating: 9
Kuroboshi

40 Watt Sun is also a really nice band, but personally I would love to see more music under this moniker as well!

The lyrics and vocals are like 11/10! Such an emotional voice. Just brilliant. It can get a bit to samey for me though. It requires a certain mood, that's sure.
08.02.2013 - 22:50
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
I've been trying to decide on which album I thought had the strongest vocal performance ever. This won it for me
28.02.2013 - 18:44
Aristarchos

Great slow doom with so much emotions, although I find it a little bit too monotone, and a bit too short with five songs. But especially the first two songs are so great.
01.08.2013 - 16:59
CyberSymphony
Ollie
The vocals fit surprising well with on album and adds to the emotional atmosphere. Deep, soul crushing doom.
08.08.2013 - 21:40
Erik M.

Written by InnerSelf on 01.07.2011 at 15:26

^Fuck me.
I just have to say that 40 Watt Sun's debut helped me get into this masterpiece

I actually had the exact same thing. First time I listened to this I didn't really like it because of the vocals. Because the vocals on 40 Watt Sun are toned down I liked it more, but when I "revisited" Watching From A Distance I was blown away by it, and I still am after many spins. Incredible doom metal (I would rate it a 9.5, but sadly that's not possible on MS), but I wouldn't call this "epic doom" like numerous websites claim this to be. It's (traditional) doom metal if you ask me.
09.08.2013 - 12:35
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Aristarchos on 28.02.2013 at 18:44

Great slow doom with so much emotions

As opposed to fast doom?
09.08.2013 - 13:41
Rating: 10
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Erik M. on 08.08.2013 at 21:40

I actually had the exact same thing. First time I listened to this I didn't really like it because of the vocals. Because the vocals on 40 Watt Sun are toned down I liked it more, but when I "revisited" Watching From A Distance I was blown away by it, and I still am after many spins. Incredible doom metal (I would rate it a 9.5, but sadly that's not possible on MS), but I wouldn't call this "epic doom" like numerous websites claim this to be. It's (traditional) doom metal if you ask me.

Since I have never heard anything that sounds remotely like this, both in terms of quality and sound, among both Trad and Epic Doom; I find it hard to pin this inder those two subgenres ... I just call it Doom.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
09.08.2013 - 13:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Daniell on 09.08.2013 at 12:35

As opposed to fast doom?

probably, since doom can also be quite fast.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.08.2013 - 16:48
Uldreth

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.08.2013 at 13:50

Written by Daniell on 09.08.2013 at 12:35

As opposed to fast doom?

probably, since doom can also be quite fast.

I really like how this speeds up near the end

10.10.2013 - 00:12
mz

Finally checked this and I'm glad that I did not try it before since I could had thrown it away because of vocal style. More traditional/epic doom is what I need
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
08.11.2013 - 08:05
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Heard it more than 15 months back but didn't bother to comment while it was really excellent and I did enjoy it, It is not really my favourite doom album. In fact I dont have one.

Might be Monolithe III as of now.
10.11.2013 - 17:25
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
First let me say I am not a doom fan. At all. I once had a Candlemass cd 25 years ago (I think I liked it at the time). Today, If I like something that has a "doom" tag on it, it must be fused with "sludge, prog or atmospheric". I have tried extreme doom, funeral doom, gothic doom, the Legion of Doom. Not for me. The only thing I like about doom is the video game Doom. But I digress. Mr Doctor once suggested Esoteric. It's about all I can take from the doom genre.

So, with all of this being said and all the ruckus about this album...would I dig this?
----
rekt
11.11.2013 - 02:14
Uldreth

Written by tea[m]ster on 10.11.2013 at 17:25

First let me say I am not a doom fan. At all. I once had a Candlemass cd 25 years ago (I think I liked it at the time). Today, If I like something that has a "doom" tag on it, it must be fused with "sludge, prog or atmospheric". I have tried extreme doom, funeral doom, gothic doom, the Legion of Doom. Not for me. The only thing I like about doom is the video game Doom. But I digress. Mr Doctor once suggested Esoteric. It's about all I can take from the doom genre.

So, with all of this being said and all the ruckus about this album...would I dig this?

Pace-wise this is closer to funeral doom than the Candlemass type stuff but has only cleans.

I'd suggest you try the title track and, uhm... Bridges, perhaps (been a while since I listened to it but I remember one of the "Plurals" tracks really floored me)? But overall I don't think you'd really like this. It lacks Esoteric's expansiveness and psychedelia.
11.11.2013 - 07:40
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Footprints.... That's THE track if you ask me.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
11.11.2013 - 12:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.11.2013 at 07:40

qft

ask 100 fans of Warning's Watching From A Distance what the ultimate track on thae album is and 99 will say 'Footprints'
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.11.2013 - 21:30
Lit.
Account deleted
^ What they said.
Sometimes I find myself listening to that song just so I can hear when Walker goes "I have laid down my armour, I have no sword at my side." God, that's so harrowing, but so beautiful. Lot of songs about war sing about tragedy, yes, but rarely do they sing about the possible fear that can persuade you to desert or defect.
12.11.2013 - 00:44
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 11.11.2013 at 21:30
Sometimes I find myself listening to that song just so I can hear when Walker goes "I have laid down my armour, I have no sword at my side." God, that's so harrowing, but so beautiful. Lot of songs about war sing about tragedy, yes, but rarely do they sing about the possible fear that can persuade you to desert or defect.

I think almost everyone can find a line that hits home. Mine is probably "I leave behind me the ruins of the fortress I swore to defend"... I can be very stubborn and proud of myself. Trying desperately to fix things and continue with the task... Realising that there are things that you just can't continue any longer and must let go is a harsh reality that the song reflects brilliantly.
----
Rod, let me love you.
12.11.2013 - 01:36
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 12.11.2013 at 00:44

I think almost everyone can find a line that hits home. Mine is probably "I leave behind me the ruins of the fortress I swore to defend"... I can be very stubborn and proud of myself. Trying desperately to fix things and continue with the task... Realising that there are things that you just can't continue any longer and must let go is a harsh reality that the song reflects brilliantly.

:manly tears:
17.11.2013 - 09:39
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by X-Ray Rod on 12.11.2013 at 00:44

Yeah, the album is truly something you would relate to even if you don't dig into the music. As for mine:
"The words mean so much more these days, they echo in my soul, they sting me like a burn, can someone feel too much? "

I could be a sensitive prick sometimes and the moment I realize how the words are echoed within my head, I start to wonder if it's worth it to stay that way. Is it worth it to enjoy the melancholy I feel? Should I move on and stop caring about words? I ponder the situation and I go on and on while deep within, I'm paralyzed. This is truly a musical masterpiece as far as I can tell, it's one of the many rare moments where I feel safe listening to music.
17.11.2013 - 19:01
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Uldreth on 11.11.2013 at 02:14

But overall I don't think you'd really like this.

Heck, I will give anything a try. Stay tuned...
----
rekt
18.02.2014 - 23:49
Gawain
Account deleted
One of my favorite albums ever, I feel like after the apocalypse has happened I'm going out to the fucking mountains and living up there alone in a cabin and killing stuff to eat, and mourn the loss of the world while at it and then killing myself. Good stuff
18.02.2014 - 23:59
Gawain
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.11.2013 at 07:40

Footprints was my favorite when I first found it but now it's between the title track (#1) and Bridges, I really love everything about those songs same goes for all the album but those two are a tad higher
19.02.2014 - 16:40
Diverge

I used to think it was Footprints. Now I know it's Faces.
24.03.2014 - 02:20
BigNaughtyV

Saved this for #1000 on here. Did not disappoint. Even in doom, few albums are as evocative as this.
24.03.2014 - 04:52
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
#1000?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
24.03.2014 - 19:58
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.03.2014 at 04:52

#1000?

He means his collection.
----
Rod, let me love you.
31.03.2014 - 21:31
Rating: 7
moonflash

I dunno, I found this album to be "good" at best. I realize that a lot of people consider it to be one of the greatest doom albums in existence or something: For me the lyrics didn't really push the boundary of the "epic" tag. Epicness to me would be lyrics about fantastic other worlds, historical events, alternate realities, strange mythological creatures...I just found that the "lyrical self" which was employed extensively in each song made the songs very personal and down-to-earth or "real". This lack of allegory to represent the feeling of foreboding doom resulted in an album devoid of fantasy and thus quite bland in that regard. Didn't really click with me as much as some other doom records.
----
[http://atthematinee.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/voyagedans.jpg]
31.03.2014 - 22:03
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by moonflash on 31.03.2014 at 21:31

I dunno, I found this album to be "good" at best. I realize that a lot of people consider it to be one of the greatest doom albums in existence or something: For me the lyrics didn't really push the boundary of the "epic" tag. Epicness to me would be lyrics about fantastic other worlds, historical events, alternate realities, strange mythological creatures...I just found that the "lyrical self" which was employed extensively in each song made the songs very personal and down-to-earth or "real". This lack of allegory to represent the feeling of foreboding doom resulted in an album devoid of fantasy and thus quite bland in that regard. Didn't really click with me as much as some other doom records.

To be honest "epic doom metal" or "epic" anything is really a non-genre if you ask me. As you say "epic" usually means stuff to do with high fantasy and the like, which of course has nothing to do with this band, so it shows how useless the tag is in this instance. This is more of a mix of traditional and more glacial, perhaps even funeral, doom.

Hits total: 24432 | This month: 33