01. Watching From A Distance
02. Footprints
03. Bridges
04. Faces
05. Echoes

Top 20 albums of 2007: 17

Additional info
Produced by Warning and Michael Hahn.

Also released as two different limited editions: the "Die Hard" version and the "Right Hand Of Doom" version, limited to a 125 copies each.

The "Die Hard" version contains the "Watching From A Distance" CD and a bonus disc with the two demo's (Revelations Loom and Blessed By The Sabbath), as well as a patch and two postcards with the demo artwork.
The "Right Hand Of Doom" version contains all the aforementioned items as well as a sticker and a badge in the package which comes in a very nice wooden box with the Warning logo on it in gold.

Staff review by
Lucas
Rating:
Next time a newbie to (Traditional) Doom Metal asks me what the genre is about, my answer shall be confined to one mere word: Warning. As his or her face will doubtlessly bear a puzzled look, should I really answer in such fashion, my patient person shall have to repeat and explain that answer. And I will gladly do so, as everyone that has but the slightest interest in Warning is my friend.

Read more ››
published 27.07.2008 | Comments (78)

The album that got me into Doom. Still love each and every track a decade and change later. Thanks, Marcel.

BitterCOld's picks | More picks ››

Found in 51 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 4

Comments: 113   Visited by: 1059 users
31.03.2014 - 23:40
Rating: 9
mz

Yeah I see this album as a funeral doom metal +clean vocals for some parts.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
01.04.2014 - 21:47
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 31.03.2014 at 22:03

To be honest "epic doom metal" or "epic" anything is really a non-genre if you ask me. As you say "epic" usually means stuff to do with high fantasy and the like, which of course has nothing to do with this band, so it shows how useless the tag is in this instance. This is more of a mix of traditional and more glacial, perhaps even funeral, doom.

I think epic can be added to a genre (I guess you could've seen that coming from me ), but definitely not in case of Watching From a Distance. The album is depressing, bleak and emotional as fuck. All things that don't go well with epicness. Epic metal (or music in general) is uplifting and majestic (which this is too, admittedly) and indeed often has fantasy-like themes. Candlemass is of course epic doom metal. Out of all their songs I'd say Demon's Gate is the best example of an epic doom metal song. It's totally epic and uplifting in pretty much every sense. Summoning is a very good example of epic black metal. Especially my (and your) favourite album Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame. The whole album is epic as fuck whether you like the music or not. I mean, just listen to Farewell. I rest my case. That all being said, Watching From a Distance is indeed traditional doom if you ask me. I do admit there are some "epic" elements in this but given the nature of this album, it's not right to tag it as such. And funeral doom? Hell no. Calling this funeral doom is totally off the mark.
01.04.2014 - 21:47
Erik M.

Written by mz on 31.03.2014 at 23:40

Yeah I see this album as a funeral doom metal +clean vocals for some parts.

I cannot. Totally NOT funeral doom, this album.
01.04.2014 - 22:00
Rating: 10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Erik M. on 01.04.2014 at 21:47
Calling this funeral doom is totally off the mark.

He's not calling it "funeral doom". He simply mentions that the slowness (together with the fuzzy and crushing riffs) does remind a bit of what many funeral doom bands do. I agree with that.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.04.2014 - 22:06
Erik M.

To me this song is probably the best example of epic doom metal:

The drumming especially makes the music totally epic. My favourite part by far is from 06:28 and onwards.
01.04.2014 - 22:07
Erik M.

Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.04.2014 at 22:00

He's not calling it "funeral doom". He simply mentions that the slowness (together with the fuzzy and crushing riffs) does remind a bit of what many funeral doom bands do. I agree with that.

My bad. But what I wrote applies to what mz wrote then.
01.04.2014 - 22:42
mz

I cannot. Totally NOT funeral doom, this album.

Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.04.2014 at 22:00

He's not calling it "funeral doom". He simply mentions that the slowness (together with the fuzzy and crushing riffs) does remind a bit of what many funeral doom bands do.

Yeah this is more or less what I meant.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
01.04.2014 - 23:52
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted

Watching From a Distance is indeed traditional doom if you ask me. I do admit there are some "epic" elements in this but given the nature of this album, it's not right to tag it as such. And funeral doom? Hell no. Calling this funeral doom is totally off the mark.

Actually look at what makes up a "traditional doom metal" band you'll see that musically Warning have little in common with it (on this album anyway). In fact in terms of pure music this definitely has more in common with funeral doom. Seems pretty evident that this isn't traditional because the music sounds nothing like traditional doom, i.e. deriving influence from 70s and 80s metal. Basically if you transplanted the clean vocals with growls you would get a bona-fide funeral doom band, maybe death-doom / funeral doom. No one would be calling this "traditional" because aside from the Sabbath-ian vocals and overt melody it's nothing like it to my ears. Just another example where people are letting vocals and a few common traits dictate the genre, whilst ignoring the actual musical part (just like people do with melodic "death" doom).

Trad doom:

"Traditional doom metal is a subdivision of doom metal that refers to bands who continue the style of the genre's pioneers such as Black Sabbath and Pentagram. Traditional doom metal bands more commonly use higher guitar tunings, and do not play as slow as many other doom bands. Traditional doom bands typically play slow to mid-tempo songs with a thick and heavy sound. Vocals are usually clean with the occasional growl or scream. The lyrics in traditional doom usually are eerie and dark like other doom metal divisions. Some modern bands that play traditional doom metal are Orodruin, Reverend Bizarre, and Witchcraft.

I wouldn't say that describes this record on the whole.

On reflection I'd say this is a mix of epic doom's legitimate musical traits (changed my mind there a little considering you can differentiate the likes of Candlemass's sound with the more Sabbath-like trad doom bands) and the structural traits of funeral doom.
02.04.2014 - 13:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Warning is certainly not traditional doom. Nothing in common musicwise with bands such as Sabbath, Pentagram, Ogre, Saint Vitus and Trouble (first two albums).
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.04.2014 - 13:47
Rating: 6
IronArkadius666

Hmmm... I used to love this album, but now... I don't know I just get bored really quickly.
24.05.2014 - 12:06
Alondate

I discovered this band after listening 40 watt sun's debut 99999 times. I think this album is great, too. And this is my second doom metal album together with the inside room
16.06.2014 - 16:37
Kraterr
Account deleted
The showcase for everyone's despair, the thorn in our hearts. This is what this album is to me, a thorn in my heart and my soul.. I play it when I am sad and depressed about something and it amplifies my feelings tenfold. I play it when I am happy, and it starts fucking raining outside, this is power over nature.

If you like doom and haven't listened to this yet: what are you doing? Go and get it, and play it immediately. This is important, Watching from a Distance is important.
23.07.2015 - 18:55
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
I guess I'll be the party pooper on this thread and say that there's something about Walker's vocals that have just never appealed to me. The "aaaaahaaaahaaaah" style of his wails never really struck the right chord. Maybe it's just because I don't listen to much doom of this sort, but they sound overly whiny and weepy. And "weepy" vocals aren't necessarily a bad thing in my book, but the way they're executed here... every time I listen to this album I can just imagine Warning playing live with a bunch of women in the audience clutching their hands to their hearts with tears rolling down their eyes. Not really my thing.

*Initiate butthurt in 3, 2, 1...
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
23.07.2015 - 19:04
Zap
Written by Auntie Sahar on 23.07.2015 at 18:55

I guess I'll be the party pooper on this thread and say that there's something about Walker's vocals that have just never appealed to me. The "aaaaahaaaahaaaah" style of his wails never really struck the right chord. Maybe it's just because I don't listen to much doom of this sort, but they sound overly whiny and weepy. And "weepy" vocals aren't necessarily a bad thing in my book, but the way they're executed here... every time I listen to this album I can just imagine Warning playing live with a bunch of women in the audience clutching their hands to their hearts with tears rolling down their eyes. Not really my thing.

I get the appeal of the vocals, but I prefer something like Pallbearer's vocals for stuff like this.

EDIT: no, I don't, I'm an idiot.
23.07.2015 - 22:09
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Zap on 23.07.2015 at 19:04

I get the appeal of the vocals, but I prefer something like Pallbearer's vocals for stuff like this.

Yeah, same. They're not really too far apart in style, really, but there's something about Pallbearer's vocals I just prefer much more than Walker's. Maybe it's just how they work with the music as well, because where this Warning album is really bright and airy, Pallbearer is heavier, which I prefer with doom.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
23.07.2015 - 22:46
Lit.
Account deleted
I can't imagine this album without Walker's vocals, especially with vocals that barely stand out in terms of memorability like Pallbearer's. Pallbearer is a band that excels instrumentally, making up for the drab vocals.

If it were the other way around, though... Shut up and take my money.
05.02.2016 - 02:13
Doge of Venice

Written by Auntie Sahar on 23.07.2015 at 18:55
every time I listen to this album I can just imagine Warning playing live with a bunch of women in the audience clutching their hands to their hearts with tears rolling down their eyes. Not really my thing.

Well I mean, isn't really the point of this album in general? To bring out sadness and weepiness from the emotional heaviness? Except not just in women.

As for me, I'm still on the fence if I think the vocals add or subtract from the experience.
05.02.2016 - 05:16
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Doge of Venice on 05.02.2016 at 02:13

Well I mean, isn't really the point of this album in general? To bring out sadness and weepiness from the emotional heaviness? Except not just in women.

You're not wrong, I guess it's just that this particular manner of "bringing sadness and weepiness from emotional heaviness" doesn't really click with me for some reason. As far as that sad, melancholic approach that you're talking about, I'd much rather go for something like Profetus, or A Storm Of Light, or hell, even early Agalloch
----

~ II. VII
05.10.2016 - 17:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.02.2017 - 23:55
Redel

Footprints is one of the best songs that have ever been written. So relentlessly desperate, tragic, and honest.
Just so painfully unfortunate that there are two lengthy songs on this album that cant really keep up with the rest (tracks 03 and especially 05). Still a great album, of course.
14.07.2017 - 03:11
solar

Tried another time listening to this, but failed. I cannot even finish the first song, in contrast with sentiments of a lot of the comments/ratings of this album. Quite the polar opposite of what I was expecting (or made to expect, actually). I'll probably come back to this in a year or so. Hopefully it won't be boring then.
14.07.2017 - 15:34
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by solar on 14.07.2017 at 03:11

Hopefully I won't be boring then.

Dont be so hard on yourself.
14.07.2017 - 15:56
solar

Written by Guest on 14.07.2017 at 15:34

As expected, didn't take much time for feelings to get hurt.
14.07.2017 - 16:02
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by solar on 14.07.2017 at 15:56

Written by Guest on 14.07.2017 at 15:34

As expected, didn't take much time for feelings to get hurt.

Yeah, there are lots of feelings on this album, nice too see that you responded to those. Its an album that hurts the feelings pretty hard.
23.11.2017 - 20:49
VIG
Account deleted
No joke, I cried the first time I listened to this album. If I recall correctly it was near the end of Footprints I got really sad and sort of happy at the same time because the music was so excellent.
23.11.2017 - 21:11
Metren
Dreadrealm
I appreciate this album as an excellent work of songwriting, but I don't really get the emotional impact at all for some reason. I feel nothing when listening to it, except for an appreciation for its awesomeness and I am someone who ADORES this vocal style. I guess I must be a sociopath
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
24.11.2017 - 00:10
Rating: 10
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Metren on 23.11.2017 at 21:11

I appreciate this album as an excellent work of songwriting, but I don't really get the emotional impact at all for some reason. I feel nothing when listening to it, except for an appreciation for its awesomeness and I am someone who ADORES this vocal style. I guess I must be a sociopath

Not even Footprints outro? It's impossible not to get goosebumps when the last verse is sung:
Yet here I stand, a broken soldier,
Shivering and naked, in your winter light.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
28.11.2017 - 00:26
VIG
Account deleted
Written by InnerSelf on 24.11.2017 at 00:10

Not even Footprints outro? It's impossible not to get goosebumps when the last verse is sung:
Yet here I stand, a broken soldier,
Shivering and naked, in your winter light.

My favorite part of the album, I get goosebumps every time, the vocal delivery is out of this world.
09.12.2017 - 00:44
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Guest on 23.11.2017 at 20:49

No joke, I cried the first time I listened to this album. If I recall correctly it was near the end of Footprints I got really sad and sort of happy at the same time because the music was so excellent.

I've cried exactly to 7 songs in my life.
----
rekt
09.12.2017 - 02:07
VIG
Account deleted
Written by tea[m]ster on 09.12.2017 at 00:44

I've cried exactly to 7 songs in my life.

I assume none of those songs were on this album and that you don't even like this album very much?
Also, what were the 7 songs?

Hits total: 24436 | This month: 37