08. On The Way To Ainor
09. The Frozen Tears Of Angels
10. Labyrinth Of Madness [bonus]
11. Sea Of Fate [orchestral version] [bonus]
12. Immortal New Reign [Japanese bonus]

Staff review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
The mighty Rhapsody are back with a new label after years of legal battles. The question is; have the past years exhausted the band, or is The Frozen Tears Of Angels the masterpiece they claim it is?

There's no doubt that The Frozen Tears Of Angels is a Rhapsody album; flamboyant, colourful, cheesy and theatrical, the kings are back. This isn't the absolute masterpiece you might have been waiting for however, but neither is it a disappointment. Opening "Sea Of Fate" might show us that Luca Turilli's fingers haven't ceased up, and the silky smooth "Crystal Moonlight" might be mildly catchy, but these songs fall short of the wild energy and pomposity you might have experienced on the Dawn Of Victory or Power Of The Dragonflame albums for example.

Read more ››
published 08.05.2010 | Comments (45)

Guest review by
Parasomnia
Rating:
Rhapsody Of Fire is a name synonymous with power metal. Anyone who has ever delved even the smallest bit into this genre undoubtedly has heard of this band. This fact is with good reason: Rhapsody Of Fire is a freaking powerhouse of talent and epic ability. Unlike their last couple albums, The Frozen Tears of Angels satisfies every bit of the unicorn riding, dragon slaying fantasies of Rhapsody Of Fire nerds, while maintaining super solid, well written metal songs.

Read more ››
published 05.06.2011 | Comments (9)

Found in 37 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 3

Comments: 79   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 1099 users
12.05.2010 - 23:57
calebSA

Written by SexyCat_1113 on 12.05.2010 at 13:19

Written by Kallis Helmi on 12.05.2010 at 02:29

Written by calebSA on 10.05.2010 at 14:44

The album sounds so shitty.. all new songs reminds me of the older.. There's no any creativity in their play. This is the worst metal album of the last decade..

Your ears are fucked up dude.

I agree with you...his ears are...

ahahahaha.. That's funny how simple is to piss off every imbecile.. I'm just voicing my opinion. You don't have to agree with me. Every idiot knows that this is not a place to talk about opinions of others. You must be more than an idiot.. You are all fucked up..
21.05.2010 - 21:18
Rating: 7
EmeraldSword

Nice album, but I don't know if I would say it's a masterpiece for them.

I like that Luca was highlighted more in this album than the last few albums, but I don't really hear the neo-classical piano influence ala older albums like "Legendary Tales" or "Symphony of Enchanted Lands" in this one. From the sounds of their approach, they wanted to go darker on this album, so kudos for trying something different.

Sea of Fate is an awesome song - hands down. Really liked the bass solo in the middle.

Bottom line... I'm glad they're back after their lengthly legal battle with their former label.
25.05.2010 - 00:12
Rating: 10
Twan 4188

This is what I've been waiting for these last 4 years.
02.06.2010 - 09:20
Hammer Pie

The album sounds so shitty.. all new songs reminds me of the older.. There's no any creativity in their play. This is the worst metal album of the last decade..

ahahaha, someone with a Sonata Arctica name is complaining about lack of creativity.
14.06.2010 - 03:28
Rating: 6
Narloth

I rate it 6, and I am lavish. Of cause, it has Reign of Terror, On the Way to Ainor and Danza Di Fuoco E Ghiaccio. These 3 songs are great, though is nothing new in them compared to the old stuff (I suspect they are made from the old material). But 3 songs on a whole album to listen to?! The other songs are quite boring, especially the long "epic" is boring.
And I didn't like the storyline at all, though I'm really a fan of Rhapsody storylines. Where is all the fucking epicness? the party is just going and going and going somewhere... once again, like on SOEL2 :

And a cry from the heart: Mighty Power of the Dragonflame!!! It was, no, it IS a masterpiece
15.06.2010 - 00:21
Lord_Regnier

Written by Narloth on 14.06.2010 at 03:28

I rate it 6, and I am lavish. Of cause, it has Reign of Terror, On the Way to Ainor and Danza Di Fuoco E Ghiaccio. These 3 songs are great, though is nothing new in them compared to the old stuff (I suspect they are made from the old material). But 3 songs on a whole album to listen to?! The other songs are quite boring, especially the long "epic" is boring.
And I didn't like the storyline at all, though I'm really a fan of Rhapsody storylines. Where is all the fucking epicness? the party is just going and going and going somewhere... once again, like on SOEL2 :

I agree on everything. There is nothing new on the album, even in the best songs, and they kinda feel like leftover songs from previous albums. Lots of boring stuff too.
As for the storyline, I could tolerate the Emerald Sword saga even if it was cheesy and over-the-top (it never annoyed me). The new saga, however, is just plain bad and utterly cliché + it leads nowhere. Events progress at a snail's pace and lots of lyrics are not even directly related to the current storyline (lack of consistency). Some kind of bad LOTR rip-off.

I agree on the rating too. I'm against rating music on a scale but if I had to give a rating to this album, I would rate it 6 at best.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
17.06.2010 - 03:49
Narloth

It seems to me that on their later albums Rhapsody tried to cease being over-the-top (maybe after being repeatedly blamed for that, or Luca and others changed their minds and got tired of the old stuff...), and the change was fatal for them. In fact, it resulted in becoming boring. Firsly, the music. It used to be more flashy, more gaudy, and that was a way of being beautiful. Now, however, it lacks the old pomp and enthusiasm that were so dear to me. Secondly, the storyline and lyrics that I also find very important. That Emerald Sword Saga thing and sir Lansford's performance are brilliant. Not everybody enjoys such stuff, but if you like the style then you can't help loving Rhapsody. Now the narratives and the story have become so serious and restrained It is no fairly-tale anymore, its that "high fantasy" :| Being "utterly cliché" isn't so bad, in fact every epic piece of art (I mean "epic" in classical sence, like ancient and medieval epic poems) are made of clichés... But it really has neither a decent plot nor any characters (we can say nothing of them all). This is sad.
Of cause I always approve when a band searches for something new, otherwise it will only lead to stagnation (as it happens to many bands like Hammerfall). However, trying to make plain fantasy metal Rhapsody started to lose their originality. Yeah, they are still one of the brightest, maybe the brightest in their style, but I can't call them unique anymore.
19.06.2010 - 04:50
Lord_Regnier

To all those who wondered about "Rhapsody in Black" recently, that's what Luca Turilli said on Rhapsody's official forum:

"As we wrote in the news the project RHAPSODY IN BLACK was cancelled definitely and we won't speak about it again. From the first comments found in general on the net and related to the possible release of RHAPSODY IN BLACK we realized immediately that our real intention could have been easily misunderstood, despite I repeated one million times that RHAPSODY IN BLACK would have been just a way to scream our message of peace and respect against all the violence our brothers and sisters have to breathe every day on this planet. Too many people trapped in the depressing 666 fashion out there, unluckily. No need to add more fuel on the fire... :-)
And apart from this no space for extra projects anymore. Only Rhapsody will be our piority in the next couple of years and that's why we started working on great stuff already.
Peace and respect to all of you!
Luca "

No comment.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
20.06.2010 - 12:20
Rating: 8
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Awesome album, certainly better than their last one.
14.08.2010 - 21:19
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by calebSA on 12.05.2010 at 23:57

Written by SexyCat_1113 on 12.05.2010 at 13:19

Written by Kallis Helmi on 12.05.2010 at 02:29

Your ears are fucked up dude.

I agree with you...his ears are...

ahahahaha.. That's funny how simple is to piss off every imbecile.. I'm just voicing my opinion. You don't have to agree with me. Every idiot knows that this is not a place to talk about opinions of others. You must be more than an idiot.. You are all fucked up..

*sigh* Are you really being so agressive to accuse others of being easily pissed off? I hope you do realize your rage just makes you seem very childish... And I'm not attacking you, here, I just can't understand why people are so violent on forums. Anyway, about your rating and comments about this album, I think you should look at TFToA from different angles, my friend. "Worst album of the last decade" may apply to its originality, but certainly not to songwriting, performance and production, which are exceptionnal. And this has nothing to do with opinion, it is a fact: RoF are a very experienced and talented band with a top notch production. Even if you rate their originality a 1 or even a 0, the overall rating of this album can't go below 5 or 6.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
15.08.2010 - 00:07
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by MétalNoir on 14.08.2010 at 21:19

And this has nothing to do with opinion, it is a fact: RoF are a very experienced and talented band with a top notch production. Even if you rate their originality a 1 or even a 0, the overall rating of this album can't go below 5 or 6.

I agree with your opinion, just don't feed the troll, c'mon, he is talking about originality but still he rates 3 Sonata Arctica's albums and Cain's Offering debut with a 10, same for Insomnium and In Mourning, I'm not saying that those bands are bad, actually I'm a huge SA fan and I like some songs from the other bands too.

I wouldn't take his opinion so seriously, just read his angry and childish response, someone who thinks that "Rust In Peace" deserves a rating of "1" but thinks that "Gather The Faithful" deserves a 10, is surely deaf.

I mean, it's good to share our opinions, but I don't get why people have to insult others when their mindless comments are attacked, they just need to elaborate their opinion, but he just said "You must be more than an idiot... You are all fucked Up..."
Yeah, he is the new revelation of Shakesperian Metal Storm reviewers...
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
16.01.2011 - 00:35
Rating: 7
Fat & Sassy!

The most consistently solid album since Dawn of Victory for sure. It has a bit of a different feel from their older stuff, but I like it.
17.02.2011 - 21:05
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
The orchestra stuff was pretty awesome and some songs had their moments, but I can't feel like any one song actually stuck out. the darker songs are definitely the highlight of the album, but don't quite do it for me. And is it just me, or does "Labyrinth of Madness" sound ALOT like Bumblefoot's "Guitars Suck" (I guess it would be relevant of there were any other Bumblefoot fans)
28.03.2011 - 05:11
Rating: 9
PowerThrash

Amazing album! Luca Turilli's guitar work is great and the solos are amazing!
05.05.2011 - 17:52
Rating: 9
FrozenJoy

Personally, I fucking LOVE this album... It's like RoF becoming a bit heavier and more kinda straight than before... Every track blows me away, except Crystal Moonlight (don't know why, it may be Fabio's performance...) yeah, the album is a bit different than before, and I think that comes with good and bad things... The first ones are definitely: heavier, and with much more soloing (which I think it's awesome )... The only real problem I have with it's that the orchestra isn't so important like in SoEL...
Anyway, it's an amazing effort, and I think it deserves a 9...
12.07.2011 - 23:19
Mattybu

Maybe it's because it's the first RoF album I've heard in it's entirety, but this is beyond epic and I love it.
01.09.2011 - 04:24
John Shock

I love this album! I think this is a real Symphonic album, king of its kind! Congratulations to the band!!!
02.10.2012 - 15:03
LordHypnos
Account deleted
Not very original, but Sea of Fate kicks ass!
22.08.2018 - 11:28
Ziom

To me this album is a boring wall of sound, with no track standing out. I can admire that they tried to do something darker with a more ominous atmosphere, but this album is tiring. "Neoclassical" tremolos that just go on forever and blend into one, with no distinctive melody to distinguish the tracks. It lacks clarity. Maybe it's the production - so bombastic, that everything drown in a storm of orchestrations.

Hits total: 32352 | This month: 36