09. The Deceived
10. Suffocating Sight
11. Departure
12. Declaration
13. Blinding Tears Will Break The Skies [2006 reedit bonus]
14. Washing Away Me In The Tides [2006 reedit bonus]
15. Master Of Puppets [Metallica cover] [2006 reedit bonus]
16. Dying In Your Arms [video mix] [2006 reedit bonus]

The word trivium is an academic term from the middle ages used to describe the three subjects that were taught in universities at that time. It also serves as the root for the word trivial and indeed, Trivium more that lives up to its name as not only is it trivial, it is also mundane and superficial.

Trivium is yet another in the ever growing line of bands that sound like Killswitch Engage ie. - they play the commercial hybrid consisting mainly of metalcore and having some elements of thrash metal and Gothenburg melodic death metal. We all know the drill - growled/screamed verses, refrains sung in an off-key and whiny manner and an almost inhuman, sterile production which makes the whole thing seem like it was designed and not composed. Every record label these days must have one of these little bands in their arsenal and Trivium is reportedly Roadrunner's secret weapon. Well, RoadRunner must be keen to shoot blanks...

All the tracks on this album follow the exact same formula. Hear one and you've heard them all. Therefore, all you actually need to hear to know everything about Trivium is the song "Drowned And Torn Asunder". It happens to be the most impressive use of the afore-mentioned formula on this album. The other 'highlight' that you might find interesting (albeit only during your first listen as it will get old quickly) is "Dying In Your Arms" where Trivium sounds a little like Icon/Draconian Times era Paradise Lost. The album closer "Declaration" is a whopping 7 minutes long and this proves to be way too long for this sort of music as the track is a snorefest.

Bands like Trivium trivialize another thing in todays world: the musicians' abilities. The music on Ascendancy is executed with great precision and the production is so clear that it is impossible to find a single flaw in the entire album. It sounds perfect. Too perfect. The result is that the technically apt playing is simply not impressive. It makes you think - just how many takes did the band need to make the music sound like this? And how much was cleaned up in the studio? Besides, all of these bands sound almost exactly the same and there is really no telling the difference between Trivium's drummer and guitar players and those of other bands in this genre. For all I know, these could be the same people playing under different pseudonyms. Seems like there is no place for uniqueness here. Thus, any sort of technical and musical abilities that the musicians might have are completely lost in the superficiality of the whole product, which this album too obviously is.

The bottom line is that what record companies these days don't realize is that this is Rock music and its fans can feel if its honest and sincere or not. These fans will find listening to Trivium as empty and pointless an experience as it was for me. No, actually - who am I kidding? The masses will eat it up since they know no better and they have by now been totally brainwashed by the commercial media... Sad but true.

Written on 11.05.2005 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments page 3 / 3

Comments: 72   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 340 users
17.03.2011 - 09:07
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Unlike most people here, I can tolerate the shouts just fine; its the boy band worthy cleans that kill this album. Decent enough riffs, but those cleans... Gah, ear rape I remember back when I was first getting into metal and checking out the song "Dying in your arms", and thinking, "What the fuck, this is metal?" I do like the song rain though.
27.07.2011 - 02:18
Rating: 8
kpu27

I actually enjoyed this album very much, everytime i play it, its pretty descent , but i guess this guy has good points, nevertheless opinions are opinions
31.07.2011 - 08:36
Void Eater
Account deleted
Written by Nicko's Nose on 01.10.2008 at 01:30

The only reason why most of you hate Trivium is because they aren't tr00 metal!1!!eleven or for another reason that has nothing to do with the quality of their music.

Its incredible how fucking close minded some "metalheads" are... Trivium could release the best metal album ever and a lot of "metalheads " would hate it simply because... Its Trivium.

01.01.2012 - 06:42
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 31.07.2011 at 08:36

Written by Nicko's Nose on 01.10.2008 at 01:30

The only reason why most of you hate Trivium is because they aren't tr00 metal!1!!eleven or for another reason that has nothing to do with the quality of their music.

Its incredible how fucking close minded some "metalheads" are... Trivium could release the best metal album ever and a lot of "metalheads " would hate it simply because... Its Trivium.

----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
01.02.2012 - 06:41
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 17.03.2011 at 09:07

Unlike most people here, I can tolerate the shouts just fine; its the boy band worthy cleans that kill this album. Decent enough riffs, but those cleans... Gah, ear rape I remember back when I was first getting into metal and checking out the song "Dying in your arms", and thinking, "What the fuck, this is metal?" I do like the song rain though.

This.

I remember being a n00b to metal, and listening to "Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr"

I still enjoy this from time to time.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
27.11.2012 - 04:58
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Thedude117 on 27.11.2012 at 04:39

I don't get it, if you hate Trivium so much, why post a review at all?

He posted the review, simply because he can. He's also a staff reviewer, so he gets sent review requests.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
12.04.2013 - 20:09
Swamphell

I guess the reviewer didn't listen to the album because he didn't mention any thing about it, he just give his opinion about trivium and that is wrong ...
27.10.2014 - 12:44
telephonebear
Account deleted
Fucking hell man, its a decent album by a decent band. nothing revolutionary but its a solid set of tracks that you feel the need to hate simply because the band is popular. stop being such an elitist.
27.10.2014 - 14:45
Rating: 6
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Guest on 27.10.2014 at 12:44

Fucking hell man, its a decent album by a decent band. nothing revolutionary but its a solid set of tracks that you feel the need to hate simply because the band is popular. stop being such an elitist.

The reviewer hates the album, because it sucks. The fact that the album was released by a popular band is a coincidence.
Calling mainstream shit shit is not elitism. It is telling the truth. The only difference is who reads the review. When a reviewer slags off an obscure band, no Trivium lover will read it, hence they won't complain about the low rating.
27.10.2014 - 14:55
telephonebear
Account deleted
Written by Daniell on 27.10.2014 at 14:45

Written by Guest on 27.10.2014 at 12:44

The reviewer hates the album, because it sucks. The fact that the album was released by a popular band is a coincidence.
Calling mainstream shit shit is not elitism. It is telling the truth. The only difference is who reads the review. When a reviewer slags off an obscure band, no Trivium lover will read it, hence they won't complain about the low rating.

id accept that if 90% of the album wasnt just slagging off the band rather than the music itself
27.10.2014 - 14:57
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 27.10.2014 at 14:55

id accept that if 90% of the album wasnt just slagging off the band rather than the music itself

Like it or not the band is the one that wrote the music. If the music is shit then it's not the music's fault
12.09.2015 - 16:31
Rating: 9
skydancer

So here's my story: I was 16 when this album came out and I loved it to death, I listened the shit out of it, it was the greatest album of all times for me then. Then I started looking for similar bands, delved deeper into the metal scene, started listening to gotherburg melodeath (DT, ATG, older IF, Mors Principium Est) and extreme power (Cob, Kalmah etc.) then over the years I got through all the different genres from prog to grind. All of this caused me to retrospectively devaluate this album, I started thinking of it as shitty metalcore that most metalheads think of Trivium, their opinion started to influence my listening habits, and stopped listening to this band, because this was not true metal in my eyes anymore.

Then, something like, a year ago, I stumbled on them on Spotify, decided to give In Waves a listen. And in that moment I realized how much of an idiot I was for years. I missed out on so many incredible riffs and solos and choruses. Can't believe that Shogun has been out for 7 YEARS and in my ignorance, I missed it completely. So here I am listening to Ascendancy again, and it's fucking awesome.

The point I'm trying to get to: I know there's a lot of you out there like me, who love Trivium, but consider it a guilty pleasure to listen to, because "it's not metal enough" according to some "true metalheads".

Don't let others tell you what to listen to, because you might miss out on some truly awesome shit.

Hits total: 14055 | This month: 8