05. Unpardonable Sin
06. Lost Passion
07. Put My Hand In The Fire
08. Close To A World Below

Top 20 albums of 2000: 7

Staff review by
Herzebeth
Rating:
The good old Immolation, you can't loose with this band if you are into Extreme Metal, there is a question that most Immolation fans can't answer (or don't want to answer, or don't even care), Is Unholy Cult better than Close To A World Below? Well I'll do my best to answer this question right now.

Read more ››
published 13.02.2005 | Comments (5)

Didn't you say Jesus was coming?

A few years ago, I started the tradition to listen to Immolation's masterpiece, Close To A World Below, every Easter. I pass down the tradition down to you, the uninitiated. For Close To A World Below stands out as one of the most infernal and meticulously put together death metal albums of all time. It has an impeccable production that blurs the riffs which sound as if they are coming behind a curtain of hellfire. The growls are so monstrous yet so well performed that every blasphemous line roars loud and clear. The frightening drumwork is maddening in all its complexity and brutality, giving you the sensation of falling down a hole for all eternity. From the terrifying intensity of "Higher Coward" to the apocalyptic grand finale that is the title track, Close To A World Below is a sublime album every self-respecting heretic must listen to.

X-Ray Rod's picks | More picks ››
Thumbs up: RaduP, Dream Taster, nikarg, Yaniv
Bandcamp music player

Found in 44 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 49   Visited by: 924 users
08.02.2010 - 13:09
Rating: 10
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
This album is more brutal than giving a poodle a sex change. Furthest From The Truth is my fav
25.05.2012 - 19:54
Illog1cal
Account deleted
I really like the lurching and discordant guitar parts. Excellent album, definitely an album you must have even if you are not really a fan of Immolation.
27.05.2012 - 21:57
Rating: 9
Metal Addiction

Very very close to perfection
21.03.2014 - 03:21
Lit.
Account deleted
^ Pffffffhahaha.

Immolation are not a band I'd call inconsistent, and this album is certainly not. This is one brutal death metal album.
22.03.2014 - 01:49
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I actually think this is one of the most consistent death metal albums out there, made by one of the most consistent death metal bands.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.03.2014 - 03:21
Lit.
Account deleted
That's as backwards an opinion if I've ever seen one. Harnessing Ruin is definitely their worse, even considering how consistent the band is. It's totally average, even Kingdom of Conspiracy is better by miles. This album (and the ones before it) are easily Immolation's best and prime death metal albums.
22.03.2014 - 16:34
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
The album is fantastic from start to finish... Specially the ending. What a finale.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.06.2014 - 13:57
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Jesus. Christ. (irony intended). Why did I put off listening to this for so long. Although this hardly sounds like straight forward death metal now, does it?
30.06.2014 - 14:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by LeKiwi on 30.06.2014 at 13:57

Jesus. Christ. (irony intended). Why did I put off listening to this for so long. Although this hardly sounds like straight forward death metal now, does it?

How isn't this straight forward death metal?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.06.2014 - 14:45
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.06.2014 at 14:27

Doesn't sound like typical death metal at all...sounds like a relaxed version of Ulcerate. Those riffs...they're so...sophisticated.

Listen (to everyone), I'm not trying to fuel another another genre argument...That's just what I'm hearing from this album.
30.06.2014 - 14:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by LeKiwi on 30.06.2014 at 14:45

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.06.2014 at 14:27

Doesn't sound like typical death metal at all...sounds like a relaxed version of Ulcerate. Those riffs...they're so...sophisticated.

Listen (to everyone), I'm not trying to fuel another another genre argument...That's just what I'm hearing from this album.

What Immolation plays is straight forward old school death metal. Slow and relaxed dm.
If you think this isn't straight forward dm you're probably extremely unfamiliar with the osdm sound.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.06.2014 - 14:56
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.06.2014 at 14:55

What Immolation plays is straight forward old school death metal. Slow and relaxed dm.
If you think this isn't straight forward dm you're probably extremely unfamiliar with the osdm sound.

Well, I really liked this - can you recommend me any similar bands?
01.07.2014 - 15:55
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog

I found this thread on OSDM and listened to all the bands you cited as classified under that style:
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.03.2011 at 16:36

Try out Dead Congregation, Grave Miasma (sounds a lot like Morbid Angel when you play their vinyl on 45rpm instead of 33rpm ), Cruciamentum, Miasmal, Stench Of Decay, Anatomia (very very Autopsy like) to name but a few

I also had a listen to some other OSDM bands like Entrails and old Entombed. There seems to be an conspicuous difference between this and OSDM.

I'll admit that after to listening to Dead Congregation's 2008 output, I heard some similarities, but then again, that doesn't sound like OSDM either
01.07.2014 - 15:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by LeKiwi on 01.07.2014 at 15:55

I found this thread on OSDM and listened to all the bands you cited as classified under that style:
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.03.2011 at 16:36

Try out Dead Congregation, Grave Miasma (sounds a lot like Morbid Angel when you play their vinyl on 45rpm instead of 33rpm ), Cruciamentum, Miasmal, Stench Of Decay, Anatomia (very very Autopsy like) to name but a few

I also had a listen to some other OSDM bands like Entrails and old Entombed. There seems to be an conspicuous difference between this and OSDM.

I'll admit that after to listening to Dead Congregation's 2008 output, I heard some similarities, but then again, that doesn't sound like OSDM either

There's a difference between US osdm and Swedish osdm and Finnish osdm.
Especially due to the fact that Swedish osdm primarily gets their guitar sound from the Boss HM2 pedal. Whereas that one isn't used by the US osdm bands.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.07.2014 - 16:00
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.07.2014 at 15:59

There's a difference between US osdm and Swedish osdm and Finnish osdm.
Especially due to the fact that Swedish osdm primarily gets their guitar sound from the Boss HM2 pedal. Whereas that one isn't used by the US osdm bands.

I see...well could you share some US OSDM? Like I said, I love the sound and want some more
01.07.2014 - 16:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Incantation, though even slower.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.07.2014 - 16:12
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by LeKiwi on 01.07.2014 at 16:00

I see...well could you share some US OSDM? Like I said, I love the sound and want some more

Check out Dark Descent Records and Invictus Productions bandcamps. Plenty of great OSDM on those. There's another great label for it too but I can't remember it at then moment.
01.07.2014 - 16:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 01.07.2014 at 16:12

Written by LeKiwi on 01.07.2014 at 16:00

Check out Dark Descent Records and Invictus Productions bandcamps. Plenty of great OSDM on those. There's another great label for it too but I can't remember it at then moment.

Nuclear War Now? Nuclear Winter? Iron Bonehead? Sepuchral Voice?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.07.2014 - 16:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Memnto Mori si a good label as is Vic Records and both mostly for re-releases. Same goes for The Crypt/Dark Symphonies for re-releases.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.07.2014 - 18:02
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
So, I listened to a bunch of new OSDM and I still can't find anything labelled as that style which sounds remotely like this. This sounds closer to Ulcerate, Mitochondrion, etc.
01.07.2014 - 18:44
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I think due to the production this album especially stands out as more smothering than the typical Immolation album, which is also probably why it's typically regarded as one of their best - if not the best album in their discography. I personally don't think it has the same kind of catacomb-like atmosphere of a Mitochondrion per se, but I do agree that it isn't your typical old school death metal album.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
01.07.2014 - 19:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.07.2014 at 16:22

Nuclear War Now? Nuclear Winter? Iron Bonehead? Sepuchral Voice?

Nuclear War Now was the one I was thinking of.
01.07.2014 - 20:46
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Troy Killjoy on 01.07.2014 at 18:44

I personally don't think it has the same kind of catacomb-like atmosphere of a Mitochondrion per se, but I do agree that it isn't your typical old school death metal album.

Yeah, I should have been been clearer. I just meant that the guitar riffing style is very similar, despite that Mitochondrion can get a bit avant-garde with that sometimes.
17.12.2014 - 08:42
Rating: 7
Dr. Strawberry

Written by deadone on 22.03.2014 at 02:05

Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.03.2014 at 01:49

I actually think this is one of the most consistent death metal albums out there, made by one of the most consistent death metal bands.

My problem with Immolation is that the albums always start off well but then midway lose steam and either start repeating ideas or just go all generic. They also often disrupt the flow of a song with disjointed riff changes

Majesty and Decay is a great example of this. It starts off like it's going to be the greatest DM album of all time and then runs out of steam and goes all generic Immolation.

Harnessing Ruin is the only one where think they actually pulled it off fro start to finish.

The new one is meh.

The problem is Death Metal is always not easy to listen especially pure death (probably that's why Morbid Angel added thrash to Altar of Madness for the sales).

Immolation is a very lyric-orientated band, they're different from other bands, they usually write lyrics before melodies. If you don't pay attention to their lyrics you don't get the whole composition. That's why a lot of listeners found their albums very inconsistant, actually they missed the direction.
17.12.2014 - 20:57
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Just when I thought he couldn't get any stupider...
18.12.2014 - 00:11
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Guest on 17.12.2014 at 20:57

Just when I thought he couldn't get any stupider...

I have no clue where he pulls that shit from. As far as I know, Immolation don't have some predetermined philosophy for coming up with lyrics before song-writing.
18.12.2014 - 00:14
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Alex F on 18.12.2014 at 00:11

I have no clue where he pulls that shit from. As far as I know, Immolation don't have some predetermined philosophy for coming up with lyrics before song-writing.

From an interview with the band's founding member:

Quote:
"Does an Immolation song start with a riff, a signature bleeding lead, or a blasphemous lyric - or does it change from album to album or even song to song? Also, is the entire band involved in the writing process, or can that vary, too?

Usually I will write the music first -- come up with a basic arrangement. Then we work on it together until the arrangement is solid. After that is where the lyrics come in -- you get the feeling from the song and pretty much match it up with some concepts you may have. Each song has a particular feel that lends itself to a certain subject matter. It changes from time to time, though."
18.12.2014 - 00:21
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Guest on 18.12.2014 at 00:14

From an interview with the band's founding member:

Ah so it's basically the exact opposite of what GodBuster said... good to know!
18.12.2014 - 00:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Alex F on 18.12.2014 at 00:21

Ah so it's basically the exact opposite of what GodBuster said... good to know!

18.12.2014 - 00:58
Fearmeister
Account deleted
I more had a problem with this quote.

Quote:
The problem is Death Metal is always not easy to listen especially pure death (probably that's why Morbid Angel added thrash to Altar of Madness for the sales).

Hits total: 18016 | This month: 42