Metal Storm logo
Another US metal thread...

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 17.05.2006 - 16:01
I've started this thread as the old thread got deleted with the new site.

This is a thread about bands like: Manilla Road, Agent Steel, Jag Panzer, Cirith Ungol, Circle II Circle, Whilplash, Forbidden, Attacker, Deadly Blessing, Catch 22, Imagika, Hammers of Misfortune, Liege Lord, Apollo Ra, Pharoh, Q5, Crimson Glory, etc.

I've got the Beyond Fear album and I can say it's one hell of an album, if you into old school heavy metal, but with an up to date sound you've got to deffenetly get it.

What do you thing of Midnight's return to Crimson Glory? Any expectations?

Any news from the Agent Steel camp?
21.07.2008 - 22:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 21.07.2008 at 22:05

Two good U.S. metal bands that come to mind are Dragonlord (not to be confused with the crap band Dragonforce) and the one man Band Xasthur.

READ A FIRTS POSTR man becvause those are BLACK metal bands noy bands like VenomBM and Rico mentioned here, US POWER metal not BM .......and US Power is not Flower like Dragonforce
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.07.2008 - 18:11
Hellish Star
MINDWARP CHAMBER just released their new album. Fans of Scott Huffman have another masterpiece!
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
14.08.2008 - 23:39
takewarning
Mindwarp Chamber is the bomb, my friend got me into them last year
28.09.2008 - 14:00
Thryce
Retired Staff
elite
Written by Guest on 19.03.2007 at 18:00

Anybody got any news about Fates Warning, Savatage (I know these guys are on hold right now)? And about the new Annihilator's new album "Metal"? I'm expecting another letdown as the last two, but who knows. I've heard it's got people like Jeff Loomis, Steve "Lips" Kudlow (Anvil), Michael Amot and other guys I know nothing about.

Last months there were a few Savatage reunion rumors (maybe you heard them), but Jon Oliva publicly denied those rumors of any further Savatage related recording.

Regarding recent Savatage rumors: "There has been some news floating around about a Savatage website update and other things Sava related. I just wanted to clarify that this news is strictly limited to the re-release of the entire Savatage catalog as well as merchandise from prior tours that will be made available soon. But just to be 100% clear there are no plans in the future for any Savatage recordings or shows! JOP is currently hard at work in pre-production for the 4th release, as well as preparing for the Euro-Festivals and South American tours in 2009."
----
Your favorite band sucks.
16.10.2008 - 23:24
Hellish Star
FATAL VIOLENCE - Ashes tell no tales: US Power/speed demo's from the eighties, finally released this year on CD. Superp metal!
----

23.10.2008 - 00:38
Haightredy
It mostly depends on the genre...

US Power = Bad (Exept for Manowar)
US Black = It's not Black if it's not Scandanavian
US Death = Mostly Yes.....
28.11.2008 - 10:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Haightredy on 23.10.2008 at 00:38

READ FIRTS post what venom BM says

Ok Liege Lord I just download Kill The King from band site, I hope I shood not explain what band cover is it
Damn I like it, realy like it like each band song, but seems Rainbow in Dio era, there no covers who's better hwo original, realy original is better
----

apos;'
[image]
28.11.2008 - 10:37
Jewfasa
Account deleted
I hope it will be good
28.11.2008 - 17:08
Charly546
Written by Bad English on 28.11.2008 at 10:06

READ FIRTS post what venom BM says

Ok Liege Lord I just download Kill The King from band site, I hope I shood not explain what band cover is it
Damn I like it, realy like it like each band song, but seems Rainbow in Dio era, there no covers who's better hwo original, realy original is better

Get the entire "Master Control" album. It's as good as (and somewhat similar) to Helstar's "Nosferatu", as it is way more advanced than previous albums, manages to be pretty epic and speedy at the same time. And the vocals are better.

And it is impossible for a "Kill the King" cover to be better (or any cover from Rainbow's Dio era) than the original... It like a law of the nature
28.11.2008 - 20:49
Hellish Star

Should I cry or laugh?

As a matter of fact; if you don't know what US Power metal is, you'd better say nothing...
----

29.11.2008 - 01:54
Haightredy
Written by Hellish Star on 28.11.2008 at 20:49

Should I cry or laugh?

As a matter of fact; if you don't know what US Power metal is, you'd better say nothing...

I dunno, I'm not that big into Power Metal, so I probably don't know what US power is. It's just that what I have heard of it really doesn't comare to the european power.
29.11.2008 - 02:28
Gigginova
Account deleted
Written by Haightredy on 29.11.2008 at 01:54

Written by Hellish Star on 28.11.2008 at 20:49

Should I cry or laugh?

I dunno, I'm not that big into Power Metal, so I probably don't know what US power is. It's just that what I have heard of it really doesn't comare to the european power.

Don't worry man, though i doubt Manowar is "US Power Metal", I pretty much agree with you. People often preferre US Power to Euro Power because it has more aggression, but testosterone is not required to make good music always.
29.11.2008 - 02:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 29.11.2008 at 02:28

People often preferre US Power to Euro Power...

Where do people prefer US to Euro power? It is just a select few that prefer US power to Euro power.
Euro power is by far more popular. And undeservedly so, if I might say so. MOst of the times Euro power has less to do with Metal proper than Nu-metal and metalcore. Loads of Euro power is just souped up pop music.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.11.2008 - 02:49
Gigginova
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.11.2008 at 02:42

Written by Guest on 29.11.2008 at 02:28

People often preferre US Power to Euro Power...

Where do people prefer US to Euro power? It is just a select few that prefer US power to Euro power.
Euro power is by far more popular. And undeservedly so, if I might say so. MOst of the times Euro power has less to do with Metal proper than Nu-metal and metalcore. Loads of Euro power is just souped up pop music.

Sorry, I didn't mean it like that, What I meant to say was that people will preferre it to Euro PM because "blahblahblah".

ummm everyone's entitled to their opinion and all, but to say that Euro PM is less metal than Nu-Metal or Metalcore is kind of BULLSHIT, no offense. I can tell you hate it but, Are you serious? In Euro PM you can hear Iron Maiden and Helloween influence.....Smooth guitar work! That is Metal! Nu and Metalcore however are inspired by Rap, Funk, Rock and Emo.
29.11.2008 - 02:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 29.11.2008 at 02:49

Sorry, I didn't mean it like that, What I meant to say was that people will preferre it to Euro PM because "blahblahblah".

ummm everyone's entitled to their opinion and all, but to say that Euro PM is less metal than Nu-Metal or Metalcore is kind of BULLSHIT, no offense. I can tell you hate it but, Are you serious? In Euro PM you can hear Iron Maiden and Helloween influence.....Smooth guitar work! That is Metal! Nu and Metalcore however are inspired by Rap, Funk, Rock and Emo.

Well bands such as new Stratovarius and new Sonata Arctica I certainly do regard as total pop music. But that aside... saying nu-metal and metalcore are inspired by rap, funk, and emo (rock of course they are inspired by but so is metal) just shows ignorance.
both have a basis of metal and have INFLUENCES of rap and funk and then as for emo... this shows you have never heard proper emo... NO bands such as Bullet For My Valentine have nothing to do with emo. Emo is actually a subgenre of hardcore. And by hardcore I mean TRUE hardcore not what some people mistake for hardcore nowadays.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.11.2008 - 07:57
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin

zomg this post is soooo wrong in soooo many ways i cannot begin to develop a proper counter post.

let's start with black... "it's not black if it's not scandanavian", huh? coming from a 17yo? did you start and stop listening to black metal back in your formative years between 3 and 7? the best black nowadays is coming from outside Scandinavia whereas half the bands coming from the great white north are living off the image produced by their forefathers. if you weren't paying attention, most of the bands at the forefront of the second wave movement have shifted gears and genre entirely (Enslaved, Ulver, Darkthrone, Burzum) or just disbanded entirely (Emperor, Immortal)... there's a reason for it.

USBM worth a shit? Nachtmystium, Leviathan/Lurker of Chalice, Weakling, Wolves in the Throne Room, Krallice... and this is just what i can think of off the top of my drunken melon, and i've only scratched the surface of BM as a whole.

and that's just USBM - doesn't have me touching on the non-Scandinavian stuff you can find across the pond like Drudkh, Negura Bunget, Deathspell Omega, Glorior Belli, Darkspace, Gorath, A Forest of Stars...

US power is bad except for Manowar? that's a pretty backassward statement, imo. as an American, i'd gladly disown Manocheese if it meant the other (non-loincloth clad) USPM artists got proper due. I won't bother to list them - just sort through Hellish's collection, US artists, http://metalstorm.ee/users/collection.php?user_id=1323&wishlist=&c_where=country&c_what=USA and start to digest it. i'm sure he can swamp your PM inbox with tons of suggestions.

at least you got USDM right. Way to go.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
29.11.2008 - 09:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Alos US power metal mousltly was ay 80's and new kids cant get albums from thet tiem and I dont knwo reason, dont want, are are shame of all old but there some other reasons, personaly never had seen in stores albums what Hellis Star mentioned in ''Heavy'' Power Metal Tread , ok Helstar and Atacker once was at stores, but other bands , never , so people easely get some kidn Straovarius, Freedom Call or Sonata Artica, all music scene comercise thsoe cheesy new albums, but non of muisc magaasines, radio, tv dont say about re leases of Liege Lord or Hetaher or such bands , because there be maybe 500 people who will buy it

somehow there many situations when i intruduce soem people for exampel even whit blind guardian , they say cool band, same be whit us power metal . people has soem complex find thse band sand lsiten, they deny legfacy and deny old beliefs, and they tralk about worship 12 century pagan gods and beliefs who's gona long ago .... sometimes sounds rediciluss
----

apos;'
[image]
29.11.2008 - 20:06
Haightredy
Written by BitterCOld on 29.11.2008 at 07:57

zomg this post is soooo wrong in soooo many ways i cannot begin to develop a proper counter post.

let's start with black... "it's not black if it's not scandanavian", huh? coming from a 17yo? did you start and stop listening to black metal back in your formative years between 3 and 7? the best black nowadays is coming from outside Scandinavia whereas half the bands coming from the great white north are living off the image produced by their forefathers. if you weren't paying attention, most of the bands at the forefront of the second wave movement have shifted gears and genre entirely (Enslaved, Ulver, Darkthrone, Burzum) or just disbanded entirely (Emperor, Immortal)... there's a reason for it.

USBM worth a shit? Nachtmystium, Leviathan/Lurker of Chalice, Weakling, Wolves in the Throne Room, Krallice... and this is just what i can think of off the top of my drunken melon, and i've only scratched the surface of BM as a whole.

and that's just USBM - doesn't have me touching on the non-Scandinavian stuff you can find across the pond like Drudkh, Negura Bunget, Deathspell Omega, Glorior Belli, Darkspace, Gorath, A Forest of Stars...

US power is bad except for Manowar? that's a pretty backassward statement, imo. as an American, i'd gladly disown Manocheese if it meant the other (non-loincloth clad) USPM artists got proper due. I won't bother to list them - just sort through Hellish's collection, US artists, http://metalstorm.ee/users/collection.php?user_id=1323&wishlist=&c_where=country&c_what=USA and start to digest it. i'm sure he can swamp your PM inbox with tons of suggestions.

Dude... I was stating an opinion. I don't have a definate definition of what is better than what. I'm not saying I've listened to every BM band ever. I'm just saying that personally, I prefer the early Immortal, Enslaved, Burzum etc. to any of the stuff I've heard out of america. And as for US power, it's the same for me. Maybe if I more interested in hearing more american power I might change my opinion, but really I'm more of a Death Metal person than Power Metal or Black Metal.
30.11.2008 - 01:44
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Haightredy on 29.11.2008 at 20:06

Dude... I was stating an opinion. I don't have a definate definition of what is better than what. I'm not saying I've listened to every BM band ever. I'm just saying that personally, I prefer the early Immortal, Enslaved, Burzum etc. to any of the stuff I've heard out of america. And as for US power, it's the same for me. Maybe if I more interested in hearing more american power I might change my opinion, but really I'm more of a Death Metal person than Power Metal or Black Metal.

while it's an opinion on your part, it is clearly an uneducated one. perhaps if you don't know anything about the subject at hand (see: any non-scandinavian bm or us power metal), perhaps you should avoid making incendiary remarks regarding those subjects. you didn't say "i prefer the early immortal" - you said "it's not black if it's not scandinavian" - that is a HUGE difference in which you make sweeping generalizations about bm as a whole.

and if you're more of a death metal person than black metal or power metal, confine your ramblings to that topic, unless you want to get called out on it.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
30.11.2008 - 02:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite

.... or just disbanded entirely (Emperor, Immortal)... there's a reason for it.

ALthough I totally agree on your answer to nimwit... I have to set you straight... Immortal are appparently back together again and recording as well. So not like Emperor who were only back together for a couple of gigs.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.11.2008 - 02:41
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Yeah, they are back - but they both took some significant time off. i guess "disbanded entirely" overstated it. was full o' scotch at the time of posting.
----

30.11.2008 - 03:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by BitterCOld on 30.11.2008 at 02:41

....was full o' scotch at the time of posting.

Now THAT is what I call a good excuse
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.12.2008 - 01:21
painking666
Account deleted
I need a review (be kind) on my band. check it out>>>> http://myspace.com/refugedeniedmetal
add me if you like it! Thanks, Ron (painking666)

I am a big fan of bands like Annihilator, Sanctuary(our name...), Eidolon, Savatage, Slayer, Kamelot, and lots of other power-metal and prog stuff.
04.12.2008 - 18:41
Hellish Star
Written by Guest on 04.12.2008 at 01:21

I need a review (be kind) on my band. check it out>>>> http://myspace.com/refugedeniedmetal
add me if you like it! Thanks, Ron (painking666)

I am a big fan of bands like Annihilator, Sanctuary(our name...), Eidolon, Savatage, Slayer, Kamelot, and lots of other power-metal and prog stuff.

Sounds great. I can make a review if you send me promotional stuff. I write for METAL TO INFINITY webzine. I can even give you more support... PM me if you want...
----

08.12.2008 - 15:20
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.11.2008 at 02:58

Written by Guest on 29.11.2008 at 02:49

Well bands such as new Stratovarius and new Sonata Arctica I certainly do regard as total pop music. But that aside... saying nu-metal and metalcore are inspired by rap, funk, and emo (rock of course they are inspired by but so is metal) just shows ignorance.
both have a basis of metal and have INFLUENCES of rap and funk and then as for emo... this shows you have never heard proper emo... NO bands such as Bullet For My Valentine have nothing to do with emo. Emo is actually a subgenre of hardcore. And by hardcore I mean TRUE hardcore not what some people mistake for hardcore nowadays.

I most definatly enjoy both Euro and US Power Metal. I agree that alot of Euro power metal is quite poppy as Marcel says (especially for Sonata Arctica, although first two or 3 albums i used to enjoy, Stratovarius im hoping you meant Elements onwards ), but i find it comes down to because the genre is so vast with bands and popular it has become flooded with generic hybrid genre bands. It seems to be a genre easy to mix with. Euro Power Metal is usually more integrated with Classical and Folk music too, which edges it away from the rough US Power style, which carries the traditional 'metal' meaning. Both are appealing for me, though ive lost some interest in Power Metal recently (both styles), it will come back to me again im sure.
29.04.2009 - 10:56
Thryce
Retired Staff
elite
Another interesting new band is AUTUMN HOUR. Mid-paced, slightly progressive but undoubtedly with a clear US Heavy/Power metal cachet.

The band features members and ex-members from Hades, Seven Witches, Watchtower and Painmuseum. They also made quite the tasteful cover of the Eurythmics' song "Here Comes The Rain Again" (I hate the song, but I love this cover version of it).

Check them out, I'd say: http://www.myspace.com/autumnhour
----
Your favorite band sucks.
05.05.2009 - 00:23
DayFly
Written by Thryce on 29.04.2009 at 10:56

Another interesting new band is AUTUMN HOUR. Mid-paced, slightly progressive but undoubtedly with a clear US Heavy/Power metal cachet.

The band features members and ex-members from Hades, Seven Witches, Watchtower and Painmuseum. They also made quite the tasteful cover of the Eurythmics' song "Here Comes The Rain Again" (I hate the song, but I love this cover version of it).

Check them out, I'd say: http://www.myspace.com/autumnhour

Nice find, thanks for the notice.
05.05.2009 - 23:05
Hellish Star
For fans of Lethal, Crimson Glory, Sanctuary, Queensryche (Queen of the reich era),...

THROES OS SANITY!

These guys released their album in 1995. It's a gem, a jewel but unknown! It is still available!

Check http://myspace.com/throesofsanity

-----------------------------------------------

For fans of Toxik, Watchtower,...

FAUSTUS

http:www.myspace.comfaustususa
----

25.05.2009 - 20:45
Hellish Star
Two other bands worth checking out:

THRESHER (like Heathen, Forbidden, Deliverance, old Metallica) - http://www.myspace.com/godsthresher

FINAL VENGEANCE (like Helstar, Liege Lord,) - http://www.myspace.com/finalvengeancetx
----

25.05.2009 - 21:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Just received Striker - Road Warrior EP from Iron Kodex, great fun really old school speed/power metal.
Check them out www.myspace.com/listentostriker

They are Canadian btw.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996