09. Coalition Of The Elements [limited edition bonus]
10. Loci [limited edition bonus]

Disc II [limited edition DVD]
01. Making Of Universal [documentary]
+ Desktop images
+ MP3 version of the album
+ Digital Booklet

Additional info
Produced by Øystein G. Brun and Borknagar. Mixed by Børge Finstad and Borknagar. Mastered by Dan Swanö.

Guest member:
I.C.S. Vortex (Simen Hestnaes) - Vocals on "My Domain"

Available in four different formats: regular jewelcase CD, limited digipack
(including bonus disc), CD box with extras and gatefold LP with double vinyl.

Recorded and mixed at Toproom Studio in Lunner, Norway. Produced by Borknagar.

All lyrics written by Øystein G. Brun except "Reason" and "Fleshflower" lyrics
by Lars A. Nedland, "Abrasion Tide" lyrics by Vintersorg.

All music written by Øystein G. Brun except "Fleshflower" music by Lars A.
Nedland.

The album was intended to be released in the fall of 2009, but the released date
was postponed as a result of a label decision.

Staff review by
Daniell
Rating:
Borknagar is a peculiar band. Their music is too symphonic, multi-layered and ambitious to be black metal enough for the horde of tr00 kvlt kiddies. At the same time, they're too aggressive, occasionally fast-paced and noisy to be recognized by people educated enough to appreciate Borknagar's ambitious music. As a result, the band hovers somewhere in between those two groups of listeners, enjoying some popularity, but much less of it than they actually deserve, being a damn great band indeed.

Read more ››
published 25.08.2010 | Comments (19)

Found in 9 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 27   Visited by: 542 users
10.02.2010 - 16:22
elekctric

I cant wait for it ... just putting that out there
22.02.2010 - 11:28
Rating: 6
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Damn, the keys/synths on this album are really fucking annoying. I prefer their two albums with Garm.
22.02.2010 - 19:53
Rating: 4
Turin Turambar
Mormegil
Album is simply boring....
----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYN2a81u8rE

"There Is No Beast Without Cruelty"
F.Nietzsche
22.02.2010 - 23:49
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Havent heard much of the album but it sounds like Borknagar. From the first 5 seconds of the first song you know its them so not sure why all the terrible ratings....It sounds exactly like them with a different synth sound so unless many of you never liked them before I hardly see why there would be ratings of 4/10. If you consider it boring then you probably havent liked Borknagar to start with...because thats their sound.
23.02.2010 - 03:20
Rating: 5
elven

They were really good in their begginings.. this album, in my opinion, is booooooooooring...
23.02.2010 - 16:32
Rating: 8
ChrisWinther

Best Borknagar album in my opinion
23.02.2010 - 18:20
elekctric

Well shit i shouldnt buy it being a Borknagar fan then right ?
23.02.2010 - 21:24
ChrisWinther

Written by elekctric on 23.02.2010 at 18:20

Well shit i shouldnt buy it being a Borknagar fan then right ?

Good idea the album isn't that bad as people say
24.02.2010 - 16:38
elekctric

I know i will get it anyhow ... cant be led by the sheep ...
27.02.2010 - 15:30
HellTrooper

Not bad, but not so good. Keyboards to revise.
----
R.I.P.

Cliff Burton
Chuck Schuldiner
07.03.2010 - 08:49
Rating: 5
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Bitter disappointment... One of the most expected of the year (at least to me ) was already a huge waste of time...

Of course is decent and not horrible, but thats not even close to enough. Ill follow everyone here who simply labeled this album ''BORING''.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
07.04.2010 - 11:08
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Good album, seems people just don't like Borknagar. (Boring? ) I enjoy their style and thought it was a worthwhile listen- One of the best albums I've heard from them.
07.04.2010 - 11:13
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Introspekrieg on 07.04.2010 at 11:08

Good album, seems people just don't like Borknagar. (Boring? ) I enjoy their style and thought it was a worthwhile listen- One of the best albums I've heard from them.

Have you heard their first two?
07.04.2010 - 11:14
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by Dangerboner on 07.04.2010 at 11:13

Written by Introspekrieg on 07.04.2010 at 11:08

Have you heard their first two?

Nope just the later albums, I guess I should check them out.
07.04.2010 - 11:16
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Introspekrieg on 07.04.2010 at 11:14

Good album, seems people just don't like Borknagar. (Boring? ) I enjoy their style and thought it was a worthwhile listen-One of the best albums I've heard from them.

first two = good
18.04.2010 - 19:46
Rating: 7
Jiri

Garm albums rule. They have spiraled into a wash of prog rock and "black metal". Not a good combo. They can't be considered good or bad in my opinion. They are an average band riding the glory of Garm and Vortex. Vintersorg makes the band sound identical to his solo project. They should just disband due to extreme staleness.
24.04.2010 - 08:31
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by Jiri on 18.04.2010 at 19:46

Vintersorg makes the band sound identical to his solo project.

That is partially the reason I enjoy this album so much, I may be the last person on MS who likes Vintersorg. I do like the first two Borknagar albums as well, but find it strange that people consider this band stale or boring when compared to those efforts. I think the melodies are very memorable and the production is much more dynamic, vocal layers, bizarre keyboards and all. I know that in itself doesn't make a band interesting, but there is just something about this album I find intriguing...
05.05.2010 - 21:40
silenius

I like it, Borknagar being one of my favorite bands ever, and Vintersorg aswell, the introduction of Vintersorg-ish elements makes it great, but their old albums are better! Still, very enjoyable album.
30.05.2010 - 18:33
Music4TheSpirit
MetalForTheSpiri
Written by Introspekrieg on 24.04.2010 at 08:31

Written by Jiri on 18.04.2010 at 19:46

Vintersorg makes the band sound identical to his solo project.

That is partially the reason I enjoy this album so much, I may be the last person on MS who likes Vintersorg. I do like the first two Borknagar albums as well, but find it strange that people consider this band stale or boring when compared to those efforts. I think the melodies are very memorable and the production is much more dynamic, vocal layers, bizarre keyboards and all. I know that in itself doesn't make a band interesting, but there is just something about this album I find intriguing...

Oh well that's what's thinking, this sounds more like a Vintersorg album than Borknagar.
It's a good album, yet it's too smoth, just too well balanced, i think it needed some disonance or disbalance here and there.
----
In this days we seem to be limited by scientific knowledge
"I'm a good man... while that don't interfere with my interest" Anonymous , taken from the low moderm and post-moderm consciences
05.07.2010 - 17:58
Slyfang

A real grower and magnificent album. come on people, you can't expect instant gratification in music all the time..
21.07.2010 - 23:15
Slyfang

Written by Dangerboner on 07.04.2010 at 11:16

first two = good

wrong, all = good
22.07.2010 - 05:45
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Lol ok

tbh, I actually initially explained my post but I got really drunk and confused, and Introspekrieg quoted me too fast before I could edit it, so I just said fuck it and made things simple

I've never been too fond of the stuff with Vintersorg, but Universal is probably my least favorite.
04.08.2010 - 01:50
dodstink

The grim and eerie atmosphere is still present, although the lack of variety in lyrics, music wise can be a problem, unfortunately.
25.12.2010 - 07:01
Rating: 7
Wyrd

Garm is soo overrated, This album was fine, IMO

Though, the Vortex albums wre my fav
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
30.12.2010 - 01:31
Rating: 9
Kropy

Musicianship: 9
Vocal: 9
Atmosphere: 8
Melody: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 10
CD Covers: 9

Best Songs:
02. Reason
04. For A Thousand Years To Come
07. Worldwide
08. My Domain
27.08.2012 - 18:38
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
This album is nice, in my opinion, and has a lot of good moments. The only complaint I have with it is that it doesn't sound any different from the previous few albums. A little bit more of variety would be nice.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
26.02.2015 - 14:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
In some way Id dint like it last part of album was stronger as 1th one
Maybe it was not my day?
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 16332 | This month: 39