01. Deuses Da Aurora Ancestral
02. Exortações De Oceloti
03. Taqui Ongo
04. Tawantinsuyo
05. Tzompantli
06. Guerra Do Mixton
07. Idolatrias
08. Kayanerehn Kowa

When I was first introduced to Miasthenia I was told they were somewhat similar to a kind of "Black Metal Turisas". When I first put the album on to play I could certainly pick the Black Metal but not the "epic marching into battle" type Folk Metal music that the Finnish band is well known for. Then I did kind of pick up on some rather delectable atmospheric/symphonic backing music to accompany the guitars which spread forth from quickly strummed high notes to some cold but heavy and slower shreds. It had been a while since I'd heard some decent Symphonic or Melodic Black Metal (or a good new discovery from Brazil too for that matter!) so this album Supremacia Ancestral (which means "Ancestral Supremacy" in Portuguese believe it or not) tickled my fancy.

By the time the third track on Supremacia Ancestral ("Taqui Ongo") came around I realised where the whole mention of the Turisas influence came from. This song starts with an incredibly uplifting brass instrument intro and thundering drums coupled with the aforementioned extremely impressive and speedy icy Black Metal strumming. Quite a few adjectives and adverbs in there I know but it's one of the many highlights on this album.

The highlight reel continues as the rest of Supremacia Ancestral is really just as good as the former tracks. The contrast of cold aggressive Pagan themed Black Metal and uplifting Symphonic music is still a great selling point for Miasthenia along with the impressive musicianship. As you can probably tell by now the guitar work is top notch, as is the thundering and fast-when-necessary drumming. Vocalist Hécate's harsh outbursts are quite fitting and not overdone as she skilfully entwines the aggression of a Death Metal growl in with a Black Metal rasp.

For a band which most might, upon briefly sampling their work, pass them off as a more Pagan/Folk influenced Dimmu Borgir, Miasthenia really put forward an album which you just want to continue delving into. Those into Black Metal (especially the melodic varieties) and Pagan/Folk styled Metal will surely be the first in line (but it isn't an exclusive queue) to find some interest in Supremacia Ancestral. A great concept album of South American pagan themed metal!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written by Raiden | 10.02.2010

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 152 users
10.02.2010 - 17:26
Rating: 9
Turin Turambar
Mormegil
I totally agree, great stuff...expecially song "Tawantinsuyo"!!!

Miasthenia give us some fresh meat in pagan/folk metal style
----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYN2a81u8rE

"There Is No Beast Without Cruelty"
F.Nietzsche
10.02.2010 - 19:33
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
I think its pretty boring actually.....very little variation and everything is quite repetitive. Nothing really mind blowing..
04.06.2010 - 06:00
Rating: 9
Kivenkantaja

Agreed, fantastic song!
02.01.2011 - 03:24
oprah

Pagan Metal ? This band is very boring and has nothing to be pagan metal...total fake metal

Hits total: 4442 | This month: 6