08. Anoint The Dead
09. Contemplate Regicide
10. Bound Dead
11. (Exit) The Few

Staff review by
jupitreas
Rating:
N/A
In what is likely to be the single most shocking event on the scene this year, longtime brutal death metal stalwarts Cryptopsy decided to reinvent themselves as crazy jacks-of-all-trades for their latest release, The Unspoken King. Nevertheless, this album shouldn't get buried by the chaos that will certainly ensue amongst old fans and other more orthodox death metal types. This is because it is just too good to be mired by ridiculous genre discussions.

Read more ››
published 17.04.2008 | Comments (122)

Staff review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
Cryptopsy are a household name when it comes to brutal death metal, and for five albums over the past fourteen years that is exactly what they delivered. Until now. Lord Worm is out of the band, replaced by metalcore vocalist Matt McGachy and for the first time in the band's history a keyboard player, Maggie Durand, is introduced to the ranks. Musically Cryptopsy are a completely different band, shedding their brutal death metal skins and wriggling towards the metalcore whilst still keeping some technical death metal ties.

Read more ››
published 22.04.2008 | Comments (16)

Found in 4 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 61   Visited by: 1039 users
10.02.2010 - 17:26
Rating: 7
elekctric
Except for the shock it wasn't all terrible ....
12.02.2010 - 06:13
wormdrink414
Elite
Ugh. It was insulting from start to finish. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I picked this gem up (two days ago). I should probably actually read these reviews.
12.02.2010 - 17:30
elekctric
Well i don't own it lol
12.02.2010 - 17:31
elekctric
Downloaded hehe .... never bought ... but i own all the rest...
22.03.2010 - 10:27
Cryptopsy epic fail on this album suprisingly though Worship your demons is one of their best songs
05.05.2010 - 13:41
JD
Account deleted
I think nobody agree with me but i like this album...
09.06.2010 - 14:40
Rating: 2
Tatras
Pathetic album. From so great technical death metal to some deathcore
26.07.2010 - 21:18
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Ratings above 5 shouldn't be taken seriously.
----
26.08.2010 - 21:33
MeloDeathViking
Written by qlacs on 26.07.2010 at 21:18

Ratings above 5 shouldn't be taken seriously.

really? That's right! People aren't allowed to have their own opinions and tastes around here...my bad, I forgot.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
26.08.2010 - 21:52
Rating: 3
vezzy
Stallmanite
All opinions are equal, but some opinions are more equal than others.

It's kind of ridiculous to give this an 8, but no biggie.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
19.12.2010 - 23:01
Rating: 1
MIXHELL
The worst ever
09.02.2011 - 20:27
Rating: 4
qui_killer
Maybe the biggest letdown in Death Metal history :'(
02.03.2011 - 22:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I definitely wouldn't refer to this as a good album (regardless of style).

What makes it bad is not only the fact that it's such a fall from grace, but that it's so far below mediocre in several respects, especially given the new genre it's limited to (not a shot at all deathcore in case you want to call me out on that).

That being said, the drumming is still decent. That is literally the only positive I can find in this album.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.03.2011 - 11:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 02.03.2011 at 22:24

What makes it bad is not only the fact that it's such a fall from grace, but that it's so far below mediocre in several respects, especially given the new genre it's limited to (not a shot at all deathcore in case you want to call me out on that).

That being said, the drumming is still decent. That is literally the only positive I can find in this album.

You got it all all wrong this album is way superior to anything they have released before. Which was just mindless brutal death metal for brutality's sake.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.03.2011 - 11:59
Vivi'
'New' doesn't equal 'good'.
03.03.2011 - 13:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Vivi' on 03.03.2011 at 11:59

'New' doesn't equal 'good'.

But here it does
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.03.2011 - 02:22
RavenKing
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.03.2011 at 11:27

You got it all all wrong this album is way superior to anything they have released before. Which was just mindless brutal death metal for brutality's sake.

I know what you nean by "mindless Brutal Death Metal for brutality's sake" but I surely wouldn't say this album is a step in the right direction. This album fucking sucks.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
26.03.2011 - 13:07
Heka69
Oh my god this was bad.
01.06.2011 - 12:29
This album is so hilariously bad. My Ex bought this for me a while back. She comes in and says "Here i got the new Cryptopsy album, thought you might like it" i thought hey why not. I put it in my cd player, halfway through the first song i stopped and said "i thought you said Cryptopsy" then i saw the album case and i got that feeling in my gut like a girl just cheated on me. So i decided to give it a full listen. When the last song ended i laughed hysterically, pulled it out of the stereo, and threw it out the window. In retrospect it would have been more useful as kindling or something.
Even for deathcore this is utter Turdwash but, as aforementioned, at least theres still good drumming.
03.06.2011 - 18:07
Daydream Nation
Account deleted
Written by SymphonyImpaled on 01.06.2011 at 12:29

This album is so hilariously bad. My Ex bought this for me a while back. She comes in and says "Here i got the new Cryptopsy album, thought you might like it" i thought hey why not. I put it in my cd player, halfway through the first song i stopped and said "i thought you said Cryptopsy" then i saw the album case and i got that feeling in my gut like a girl just cheated on me. So i decided to give it a full listen. When the last song ended i laughed hysterically, pulled it out of the stereo, and threw it out the window. In retrospect it would have been more useful as kindling or something.
Even for deathcore this is utter Turdwash but, as aforementioned, at least theres still good drumming.

Bahaha I hope it broke when it fell out the window. Otherwise, a new victim could pick it up and listen to it. It's a disease, man.
18.07.2011 - 08:19
Rating: 5
Yes, I was expecting the next great Cryptopsy album... I was excited! But then when I found out that Lord Worm left, I was only expecting something to go wrong... I could just sense it.

I was watching Headbangers Ball one day, and when they started the music video for "Worship Your Demons", the first thing that I wanted to do was shoot myself right then and there! I couldn't believe what I was seeing!

Yes, Cryptopsy... oh wait i forgot, at this point I'm calling them "Craptopsy" because it's not even the same band anymore! Seriously! There aren't any founding members left, unless you want to count Flo Mounier.. even though he didn't show up until 1992! It is indeed incredibly hard for me to believe that these guys can just use the name like that and give the real band a bad name like this!

So why do I need to complain so much? Because "Craptopsy" brought a deathcore influence into the music, which I honestly don't hate the music it's just that these guys did badly, which totally alienated fans like me who were expecting the next great death "metal" album. The singer has some very awful screams and the instruments are focused on your stereotypical deathcore over-chugged riffs and sweep solos, along with your overuse of breakdowns of course. The drums are also just focused on going as fast as possible... not very much rhythm in songs when you try doing that.

So how are the songs? Well, "Worship Your Demons" turned out to be a hit music video... but nothing else turned out to be, and that's probably because of the backlash of longtime fans of "Cryptopsy." Some songs do show some clean vocals like "Bemoan the Martyr" and "Leach", but they're so emo sounding that they are just yet more tracks that you want to skip.

People do say that the album was descent besides the whole shock factor that it brought. Really.. it's not. Sure I will admit it does have good sound production and whatnot..BUT THAT'S PROBABLY JUST THE ONLY GOOD THING! I honestly don't know what's so great about repetitive breakdowns, constant sweep solos, screamo vocals that sound like garbage, and absolutely no rhythm at all!

Overall, I would give this a 4/10 for mostly reasons of, you guessed it, being alienated. This is a terrible album that's badly done. If you want to listen to it, the only song that you really would need to listen to is "Worship Your Demons" because it pretty much sums up the whole album. However, if you want to try listening to the whole thing, be my guest.. trust me when I say you'll get bored after the first time you listen to it!
04.12.2011 - 16:49
heteo
With the WORM everything is awfull..... wtf, from amazing tecnical brutal death comes the core..... my mark is only for their history, but overall its a bad work.
04.12.2011 - 17:57
JD
Account deleted
Every time I see comments about Cryptopsy, I die a little inside.

You know there are Lulu, Illud Divinum Insanus, The Great Mass and many overrated shit and crap in this year.
04.12.2011 - 21:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 04.12.2011 at 17:57

Thank you for reminding me about this. >>
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
05.12.2011 - 16:28
Rating: 8
Prometheus

You know there are Lulu, Illud Divinum Insanus, The Great Mass and many overrated shit and crap in this year.

the great mass doesnt suck check out the top 20
05.12.2011 - 17:00
JD
Account deleted
You mean the top overrated mainstream albums on MS?

No thanks.
05.12.2011 - 17:23
Rating: 3
vezzy
Stallmanite

So, you want Cryptopsy to be a completely undiscussed/unheard of band?
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
05.12.2011 - 18:15
JD
Account deleted
Written by vezzy on 05.12.2011 at 17:23

So, you want Cryptopsy to be a completely undiscussed/unheard of band?

Well I don't like calling them dethcore, tbh.

Yes, I do understand why the "dethcore" thingy.
14.01.2012 - 15:46
Rating: 6
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.03.2011 at 11:27

THANK YOU, God are their first albums ever so overrated, they aren't bad just... ok/good to me, nothing that makes me wet my pants when it comes to death at all.

Unfortunately we are alone here. I mean, this ain't a masterpiece but... 4,8 average? Talk about being butthurt and irrational. I would give it at least two full points. Not even I was so butthurt when Opeth decided to do some lame retro prog rock.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
15.01.2012 - 01:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Their back catalog may be overrated but this is still the biggest piece of shit they managed to release.
----

Hits total: 18784 | This month: 43