13. Take No Prisoners [demo] [2004 re-released bonus]

Top 20 albums of 1990: 1
Top 200 albums of all time: 2

Additional info
Re-released in 2004

Guest review by
Gorey
Rating:
1990 is a year to be remembered in the history of heavy metal. And it has to be said that the US Megadeth have made a lot for it with the launch of their cataclysmic opus, Rust In Peace. After three albums of good quality the four guys decided to release a (nuclear) bomb that has become a landmark in the metal world.
Dave Mustaine publicly reveals his genius, accompanied by his old mate Dave Ellefson. For this album, Mustaine has hired a new guitarist, Marty Friedman, and a drummer, Nick Menza. The first impression when you hear this album, is its pure, almost uncontrolled strength, that changes every riff into an earthquake.The guitars are omnipresent, they rhythm, without any moment of weakness, the lyrics, resolutely anti military and full of nuclear apocalypse. In this point of view, the excellent ?Holy wars? is a titanic opening. This track can be considered as a symbol of all the rage and determination that the album contains, as it combines heavy repeating riffs and guitar flights. This only track can justify the purchase of this album. Because it's a boost that allows the other tracks to be linked together with a great fluidity.

Read more ››
published 22.09.2003 | Comments (52)

Guest review by
Arian Totalis
Rating:
The year is 1990, and the 80's thrash scene will soon fade into the backdrop. There seems to be no hope for this genre beyond but a few bands, but only one of these bands was needed; Megadeth. Since the last album, Dave have ousted Chuck Behler and Jeff Young, and replaced them with Nick Menza and Guitar Giant Marty Friedman. With Political and Societal themes ready to launch, Megadeth was ready to make their fans Rust in Peace.

Read more ››
published 17.01.2009 | Comments (21)

Exactly 30 years ago, on September 24th, Rust In Peace was unleashed upon the world and had the impact of an atomic bomb. Just before thrash metal's demise, Megadeth released a magnificent masterpiece that was at the same time so aggressive yet dexterous, so catchy yet progressive, so melodic yet gritty, that it would be considered groundbreaking even if it was released today. Alongside the two Daves, Rust in Peace was the first Megadeth album to feature lead guitarist Marty Friedman and the late Nick Menza on drums, thus undoubtedly forming the most talented line-up the band ever had. Titles like "Holy Wars... The Punishment Due", "Hangar 18", and "Tornado Of Souls" are carved with golden letters on the Book of Thrash's Legendary Tracks. To be consumed incessantly and irresponsibly until nuclear warfare wipes us off the face of this planet.

nikarg's picks | More picks ››

Found in 250 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 218   Visited by: 4812 users
10.02.2010 - 17:58
Rating: 10
elekctric

Another cd to burn out my stereo... i hate the remix album but still own the tape ... sadly seems it wasn't fit for better mixing ... but my opinion
10.02.2010 - 20:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by elekctric on 10.02.2010 at 17:58

Another cd to burn out my stereo... i hate the remix album but still own the tape ... sadly seems it wasn't fit for better mixing ... but my opinion

I own both the remix/remaster and the original album and I agree with you. The original is vastly superior to the remix/remaster.

Even though it is still one of my all-time favourite thrash albums (althought there are some nimwits here on MS who say it is not thrash )
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.02.2010 - 20:46
elekctric

I hear that ...
11.02.2010 - 01:30
Dominus
The Shooter
Masterpiece
23.03.2010 - 09:22
Lord Pisi Pisi

Yeah a fucking masterpiece of all times probably...
02.04.2010 - 23:50
elekctric

Haha downgraded or should say Upgraded to the Original ....
03.04.2010 - 01:53
Rating: 9
Silent_wolfer

Simply perfect.
14.05.2010 - 23:24
JayshawnWright

Best ever!
25.05.2010 - 19:56
TheIrishAssassin

Best metal album of all time. a landmark in every way, great songs, great musicians, a perfect 10. loved every song on the album... one of only a few albums that i could say that about.
06.06.2010 - 07:39
Jay-WalKeR

It's Must BE top 100 albums of all time
06.06.2010 - 13:38
vezzy
Stallmanite
So, it just beat Symbolic... heh, it's an amazing album, but even still, I gave it a 9. Nothing deserves a "10", in my mind.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
08.06.2010 - 08:10
Rating: 7
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by vezzy on 06.06.2010 at 13:38

So, it just beat Symbolic... heh, it's an amazing album, but even still, I gave it a 9. Nothing deserves a "10", in my mind.

hehe, you have taught your mind to deny a number then maybe someone denied 9
----
Kiss my ass if you dont like me, I dont care.
09.06.2010 - 16:56
Fëanor

Perfectly crafted metal. I'll be seeing Megadeth in July and I'm told they'll be playing Rust in Peace from start to finish.

FUCK YES.
----
~Everything we think we know is merely a guess, and every thought process is a theory in progress.~

I'm not insane - I'm just smarter than you!
27.07.2010 - 04:29
thewall30

Best album ever made
----
06.08.2010 - 07:59
Perseverence
Account deleted
The one of three good Megadeth albums.
15.10.2010 - 18:34
ponderer

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.02.2010 at 20:16

Written by elekctric on 10.02.2010 at 17:58

I own both the remix/remaster and the original album and I agree with you. The original is vastly superior to the remix/remaster.

Even though it is still one of my all-time favourite thrash albums (althought there are some nimwits here on MS who say it is not thrash )

Hmmmm. I wouldn't go as far as "pure thrash" but it's got some thrashy elements to it. Imo this is almost an early bridge between metal and like a progressive death metal. There are some really slick time changes going on throughout and it never really lets up. It's more than metal and it's not quite thrash. When I think thrash I immediately think of Nuclear Assault's Game Over, Stormtroopers of Death, earlier Slayer up to and including Reign in Blood. Megadeth's Peace Sells is pretty much thrash, but Rust in Peace crosses a boundry somewhere between metal, thrash, power, and progressive concepts. We could just forgo the 15 adjectives needed to describe it (and the rest) and just call it metal...
16.10.2010 - 17:11
vezzy
Stallmanite
Progressive death metal?

I've never even dreamed of such concepts concerning Rust in Peace.
----
19.10.2010 - 02:00
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by ponderer on 15.10.2010 at 18:34

Hmmmm. I wouldn't go as far as "pure thrash" but it's got some thrashy elements to it. Imo this is almost an early bridge between metal and like a progressive death metal.

No...Just no.

If this is death metal in any way, then Dragonforce is avant-garde.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
19.10.2010 - 02:37
ponderer

It ain't thrash, sorry.
19.10.2010 - 05:27
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by ponderer on 19.10.2010 at 02:37

It ain't thrash, sorry.

Even if I believed that to be true (which I dont), its a lot farther away from being "progressive death metal" than it is from being thrash. lol

Ive never seen RIP as anything other than a thrash album, and find any assertions to the contrary frankly ridiculous. Yep, there are moments on the album which arguably aren't "thrash", but overall, the album leans far further towards that genre of metal than any other. EVERY song contains thrash parts, and some songs are out and out thrash. Just because the album is technical, clever, and has some proggy elements doesn't make the album "not thrash". Ive always wondered what makes people say it isnt thrash, cos I cant see it.

Needless to say, I love this album very much, and it's only slightly pipped by PSBWB as my fave Megadeth album. And yep, the remaster of this album sucks. The original production was perfect. xD
19.10.2010 - 09:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
FFS, Rust In Peace is thrash. No doubt about that. The rffing, drumming, soloing all constitute to it being thrash.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.10.2010 - 14:55
ponderer

RIP couldn't be further from thrash. There are plenty of progressive elements which take it out of the realm of being true thrash, and there are too many chunkier, slower moments which make it more metal than thrash. Labeling this cd is only being "thrash" puts it in the same category as Nuclear Assault, Stormtroopers of Death or Anthrax, and Rust in Piece isn't any of those by a long shot.

And dear? Your comments about the music being more technical and progressive and NOT changing the genre of music are ludicrous at best. Case in point, DEATH.

When DEATH started they were pretty much pure thrash but as soon as Spiritual Healing, Chuck was already messing around with more time changes and different structures. You could tell the direction they were going musically which was obvious to anyone who wasn't hearing impaired. By the time Chuck passed away DEATH were pretty much 100% progressive metal.

Metallica is another good example. Kill 'em All? The definition of thrash. Ride the Lightning? Yes and No. Master of Puppets? Hardly. Maybe one or two songs had some thrashy elements but Metallica were clearly toying around with more progressive metal concepts, regardless of whether or not they'd go on to sellout and suck balls.

And those are just a few examples amongst hundreds if not thousands.

To say that Megadeth were only thrash and would only produce thrash is limiting their ability as musicians, and Rust in Piece clearly showed they were a hell of a lot more than a simple one trick pony. Rust in Piece sounds absolutely nothing like Peace Sells or So Far, So Good which are almost pure thrash with the exception of the track "In My Darkest Hour", which is more ballad than anything else. Rust in Piece sounds nothing like the previous releases because musically speaking, the band had totally evolved.

Fast != thrash automatically. Would you guys consider Helstar's Nosferatu to be thrash? Hardly. That's progressive metal at it's finest and the riffing is blistering throughout. The only thing that sets it apart from Megadeth is that RIP has some slower elements.

By definition RIP is not thrash. If your OCD has reached a point where you just can't let this one go then just label it metal and be done with it already. It's not thrash kids, sorry.
19.10.2010 - 15:03
vezzy
Stallmanite
It seems that your definition of thrash lies in crossover thrash, which is thrash + hardcore punk.

Also, early Mantas and Death demos are definitely death metal. As is Scream Bloody Gore, Leprosy...
----
19.10.2010 - 15:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
And yet again it is thrash. Thrash can have slower and chunkier parts. Saying Stormtroopers of Death and early Nuclear Assault are pure thrash is ludicrous since both are crossover between hardcore and thrash.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.10.2010 - 17:37
Angelic Storm
Melodious
@Ponderer: You seem to have a very limted view of what constitutes thrash. A band can be progressive and technical, (and even melodic, IE: Forbidden) and still fit into the thrash genre. Heathen being a classic example.

"Death were pretty much pure thrash"? Death were a pure death metal band up to and including "Leprosy". They were never thrash. From "Spiritual Healing", and especially "Human" onwards, they incorporated a lot of technical and proggy elements into the sound, but still had enough death metal in their style to be classed as progressive death metal.
19.10.2010 - 18:25
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Thanks Vezzy, Marcel, and Sara ... you said all what needed to be said.
so, to ponderer: read n learn, man !
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
28.11.2010 - 16:49
PrimalAntagonist
Account deleted
Worst drumming ever.......sounds like clicking..
17.12.2010 - 01:02
Vikingr

Dave Mustaine is a metal god on the pantheon of metal greatness. This album totally redefined metal as a whole and I highly reccommend it for those who want kick ass metal
27.12.2010 - 00:32
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
If I were walking down a road in a time where the USA was turned into a wasteland by Nuclear war, I would be listening to this on my iPod while doing so.
My fav track is, surprisingly, Dawn Patrol.
29.01.2011 - 03:09
Yojimbo

Single best heavy metal album of all time, regardless of sub-genre.

Hits total: 142905 | This month: 362